• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people truly care what tier their character is?

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
I use the characters that are the most like me. Thus, I play Luigi. I am tall, lanky, clumsy, have a hilarious manner about me, and am often overshadowed by my more talented older brother. I could care less if he was bottom tier. However, a lot of people care. The vast majority of smashers play to win. Winning is a bonus for me. And winning is more likely when playing, say, Snake. Snake = high tier. Nuff said.

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
I don't care.I use some higher tier characters because I have fun using them.I mainly use Sonic and could care less what tier he is.I have a blast using him and get some recognition for actually using him in tournies.So in short the reason I use the characters I use is because I both like their characters and have fun using them.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Don't give a rats *** about tiers.

Partly because I've mained Kirby since Melee, and only found out he was low tier a year ago, years after I beat the crap out of every player I met (including a few "pros"). I had a nice long laugh about it. I think I fell out of my chair.

Partly because, as a big fan of 2D fighters, I've seen tiers that're more drastic than Smash.

And mostly because I know that tiers are no match for the human mind. That, and resticting ones self just because someone else thinks the path is better just takes some of the fun out of it.

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
For me, I usually do care about how high-tier my main character is, possibly because I don't want to have to switch mains just because "one is better than the other." I suppose another reason would be that I don't want the Zelda series to be put to shame in the Smash series... But hey, if Brawl is as well balanced as I hear people say it is, I may eventually grow to not give a darn about the list.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
I main Ganondorf, Lucario, and Metaknight. nuff said. For me, Tiers just let me know who is really popular at the moment. I like maining a speedometer of smash. Ganon for slow, Lucario for medium, and Metaknight for fast.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
I dont care at all if they put Ness and Ike and very **** bottom of the list, these guys are my mains.

Zombieoficer

Smash Journeyman
I became so pissed when everyone began describing Game and Watch as "GOD TIRE." Now there's gonna be all these posers just playing Game and Watch to win rather than because they actually like the Game and Watch games and understand how iconic he really is. Kirby, I'm ok with. He's just middle tier now, and that's fine. Good thing people underestimate DK as well.

PKPower

Smash Cadet
I play characters because I like them. Tiers really just don't matter that much, if you are good with said bottom tier, would you rather play worse with said top tier character? No. So, go play Yoshi, if you are really that good with Yoshi, then by all means no one is stopping you from playing him.

I love the mother series. Lucas is my main, Ness is a secondary for me. The series is so obscure and awesome, the games are just great. Lucas is bada**, he's a freaking blond kid with elvis hair and hits people with sticks, and also has magic powers. What isn't to like? Ness is just a lot of fun to play, I've been using him since Melee, but I like Lucas better now (I seem to play better as him.).

King Dedede, while I have never played any Kirby games, seems also bada** to me. What isn't to like? A giant freaking penguin, that has a HUGE hammer with jets in it. He also wears a kimono, and throws his minions at you. They also make your enemy want to kill themselves if they ever have to see another waddle dee after you are done with him.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Why should I care for tiers? As long as I'm winning most matches against many different competitive "high tier" players I don't care for it. People tend to be childish, stupid and predictable. No wonder why SmashBoards is really famous at ED.

smashlink_aru

Smash Apprentice
Well I use link and samus, both are considered by now low tier but I really don't mind, I've become very good and when I play them I have a lot of fun, my brother tells me that I make my characters look "intelligent" because he can't defeat me with link.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Well, yes and no. Samus--I could care less what tier she is, she's going to be one of my mains. Ganondorf I use to see how well I can get with a "low-tier", among other reasons. But then I also use King Dedede & Snake for the sole purpose of their tier rank.

So ultimately, my answer is yesno.

gorgon.

Smash Ace
Well let's see: I main Bowser. Do you think I care what tier my character is? XD

No, not really. I don't give a d*nm Olimar is high tier, if he was low I'd still play him (Pikmin FTW.) Although I don't care, I'd obviously prefer it if my characters were higher on the list.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
I'd be more than happy if my mains (wario and diddy) weren't top tiers, because that would mean less ppl would be using them and who doesn't hate ditto matches.....

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
just you wait till a official tier list comes out. some/most people will be using whoever is on the top of the list. my only hope is that falcon will be on the top. because he is number 1.
Yeah, all the way!!!

But my concern is my own skill first. Then tiers. But I don't care were they are on tiers becuase I want to have a good character. I care about my character's reputation and what tier followers think of him. Just look at my signature.

Lord Bafore

Smash Rookie
I think that it is more fun to win with low tier characters, especially if the opponent is using a top tier character

However, to answer the question, no, I don't care what tier my character is in

(since I don't know who is which tier most of the time)

MuBa

Smash Lord
I know people shouldn't main top tiers but they still do it so they can get that extra edge on winning tournies...it's really sad how people jump in the bandwagon just to "win games."

On a side note I play as Snake cuz I've been a huge fan of the Metal Gear series.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
Meh,Tiers arent even out yet,I think,so how can we choose?

Lucas is my main,and I`d be happy with him where ever he is on the Tier list.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I don't care what tier Sonic is.
It's the tier ***** reaction when he becomes low tier (more than likely) of "you play Sonic so you suck. lol" which will annoy me.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I was Bowser (who I never play as) against my cousin's Olimar (who he's VERY good with, he mains him).
I don't like Bowser, I think he's DK fused with Melee Kirby on steroids, but I used him anyway.
We were on a random match, so I didn't complain, and I fought.

Wow, I beat the mess out of him.
Bowser is insane now.....
But it doesn't mean a thing.
I don't care if he's the best, I won't main him because I don't like him.
I main those who I like, and I like Ike.
Does it look like tiers matter?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
some people do, some people don't.

people who want to win and are driven to do so will probably pick a good character.

people who want to win with their favourites or play for fun will pick who they like.

it depends on the mindset.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
In everone's opinion, how much do tiers matter to your playing the game? Sure poeple could be losing tournaments with Falcon over on the west coast, but for me, I beat most of the poeple that I ever play... It comes down to personal skill. And when the tier list comes out, EVERYBODY is going to play as Snake and Metaknight. Except for me.

Royblazer

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care what tier my character is. If I enjoy playing them, then I will. I won't switch characters to a higher tier, just to win.

PCHU

Smash Lord
I like to use bottom tiers, though.
I may not care what my true mains are, but if I can utterly destroy with a bottom tier, then that's another main to add on my list.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman
Hm.
Nope.
Could I really? Using Link since 64 is pathetic when it comes to tiers.
I love that walking arsenal, though. :-)

By the way... Foz, kickass icon. Hahaha

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
I like being unique and high tier characters are used a whole lot, so when my favorite character is high tier it disappoints me.
I kinda agree, but if you're favorite character is up there, what's a person gonna do?:laugh:

To me, tiers only reflect how hard someone will have to work to beat a character. It also shows how overused some characters may be. But trust me, once a character is up there, you will see them at least once every five matches.( Just look at fox, sheik, metaknight, marth, metaknight, and snake.) Its like their usage before the tier list was made wasn't enough. :p

I see them so frequently on wifi, its kinda frustrating to see that other characters aren't used as much. But if it works for some people, then why try to stop them from using it?

Other than that.. I couldn't care any less about tiers
:laugh:

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
All my characters I play because I like them as characters in their own rights/playing as them.

Zelda is my favorite character ever for like 6 years now, and I used Zelda/Sheik EXCLUSIVELY in Melee. I welcome the buff greatly, but not as much as the makeover. She's HAWT!

My friends all love Metaknight, and I'm easily influenced by them. The fact that he has a sexy voice and lots of jumps doesn't hurt either.

Pit was the obligatory "he's so cool, I gotta use him!". Right now he cracks me up because of how he tries too hard to be a cool guy, but I enjoy playing as him.

Wolf...well, wolves are my favorite animals, and I needed a bad guy to round out my roster of flaming do-gooders. Plus I used Fox a lot in Subspace Emissary, so the transition was only natural.

For the last time, folks, play with your favorites and you will find satisfaction in winning.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I don't care about tiers.

Before Brawl came out, I wanted Pokemon Trainer, Toon Link and Takamaru the most. I didn't care what tier they'd be in, I promised myself I would use them. Then the day came when Pokemon Trainer was revealed and everyone who bashed me and the idea were silenced. How could I not use Pokemon Trainer after that?

The Zelda series usually bores me, but I was amazed by Wind Waker's graphical style, so I played through it and fell in love with the silly boy who matured into a hero. To this day, it and Phantom Hourglass are the only Zelda games I've played through.

Now....Lucario's a funny story. At first I believed he would make it in due to 4th gen rep, but then Lucario fans bashed me because I supported Red at the time...so I turned around and bashed the idea of Lucario being in Brawl. (Mature, I know) Even when he was announced, Lucario wasn't a big deal to me. He was just 'okay'. But my friend, who had wanted Lucario tried Brawl with me when the Japanese release came out. He didn't like Lucario and insisted he felt too much like Mewtwo. I shrugged and tried him out and felt right at home. However, it's been a long struggle for me. I only main characters that I fanboy, and as comfortable as Lucario was, I'm not very fanboyish over him, so it's a bit difficult for me. Well, that is until I rewatched the Pokemon anime episodes with Lucario in them. I finally came to appreciate his character, and can use him comfortably.

I Pika

Smash Cadet
I don't care what tier my main is, even if pikachu somehow droppepd from the god tier to the uber tier I would still paly him. (maybe)

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Yes, people care. I don't care who you use; you do care where your character places. If your character moves drastically upward or downward, you'll care. You might not care enough to change characters, but trust me, you will care.

... I sound so vilifying.

I **** with the ganny and don't care that he is on the bottom. No I take that back I actually like him on the bottom so I say haha you suck when I spike you @$$ of the stage.
Ugh, that's worse than being on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Top Bottom