• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do people consider Shiek's DACUS hard?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm just really curious >_>. I keep seeing people mentioning how hard it is on other boards but it puzzles me because it's not really harder then something like wavedashing was...

On another note, Shieks foxtrot is perfect for phannas dash dance stuff. It's really cool to mess around with. You should try it some time. I know tripping sucks, but I play on a tripless wii so I just foxtrot everywhere so I can turn around when I want >_>.

Another thing(trying to get as much out of this topic as I can lol), do shieks jab cancels actually combo? Like... Jabx2 --> grab or Jab X2(or 3?) to ftilt? It seems like they do but I'm not sure honestly.

In what situation could you use a chain jacket? >_>. And what is her best approach method? Or a few of them?

Thanks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
DACUS has, what, a 4-frame window (about 1/15 of a second) for two inputs? That doesn't sound as easy as wavedashing to me.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
DACUS has, what, a 4-frame window (about 1/15 of a second) for two inputs? That doesn't sound as easy as wavedashing to me.
Well, maybe not that easy lol. I ment though when I first learned WDing way back when it took me way longer then this (Though I guess that doesn't mean anything actually lol).

It could just be because I claw >_>. Seriously though, I don't know how a melee player could find this hard :/.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Its not that hard for me but its not reliable enough to use every match. Its definetly the most difficult out of the other DACUS (since sheiks dash attack is really quick compared to the others that can preform it)

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's a matter of perspective.

...if you Claw, it's probably a lot easier, but I don't claw.

...I've practiced it extensively, but can still only get it like 60-75% of the time in an actual battle.

...compared to all the other DACUS , Sheik's is the most difficult, to the point where I can easily do all the other's DACUS with the Z-button, and I've never once accomplished the same thing with Sheik.

So yeah...I guess it's supposed to be hard...or at least HARDER then normal.

You're just that good I guess. :-p

ADHD

Smash Hero
It's okay, you will never get it 100 percent though. Don't bother with the chainjacket, unless like, you're crazy or something

Sheik is fast, approach isn't a problem unless it's vs snake but she can camp needles a tiny bit

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I find that ppl who dont hold the controller in the claw position find this very hard. i find the DACUS useful for metaknight and stages like battlefield where the ledges are low enough so that if performed on a ledged opponent the tip gets them

jacket is an edgeguarder but is useless atm simply because nailing the exact frame is really hard, and in a serious match you can afford to chance it. i think it has harder timing than the super wavedash. but seriously if someone masters the timing 100%, the chain jacket does to c-falcon, ganondorf, link etc. what fox's down b does to link

approaching is hard with sheik, simply because most of sheik's approaches can result in you getting grabbed. fakeout short hops aerials is what I usually go with especially since f-air follows nicely with f-tilts

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Eh, I've never had trouble doing her DACUS after I did it my first time, but I also use claw for it, and people are saying it's easiest like that. It's very useful though.

Chain jacketing is good for a surprise, because no one will ever expect it, but it's realy hard to pull off in a fight, I've only used it in an actual fight, and the next time I tried it froze the wii.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm just really curious >_>. I keep seeing people mentioning how hard it is on other boards but it puzzles me because it's not really harder then something like wavedashing was...

On another note, Shieks foxtrot is perfect for phannas dash dance stuff. It's really cool to mess around with. You should try it some time. I know tripping sucks, but I play on a tripless wii so I just foxtrot everywhere so I can turn around when I want >_>.
Mwahaha I agree. I was playing with Tristan Win on wifi a while ago and I brought up the DAC thing, since he uses it alot in his game. I use tap jump off, and I pulled it off within 2-3 tries, somewhat consistently. Sonic's DAC is pretty close to it (a little slower than Sheik's DAC) so I didn't have too much trouble performing it xD.

I did notice that phanna's dashdance is pretty awesome with Sheik, with her hunched running posture and all. =D

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Mwahaha I agree. I was playing with Tristan Win on wifi a while ago and I brought up the DAC thing, since he uses it alot in his game. I use tap jump off, and I pulled it off within 2-3 tries, somewhat consistently. Sonic's DAC is pretty close to it (a little slower than Sheik's DAC) so I didn't have too much trouble performing it xD.
That reminds me... I need to get worse at my DACUS so I don't do it as consistently, Tristan predicted one of my DACUS's in one of my fights and it costed me the match xD, I wish I messed that one up lol.

ADHD

Smash Hero
You guys claw? Would you say it's alot more easier than the L or Z button? Why so?

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I use the Wii remote.....and it's honestly not difficult to do at all for me...at first it seemed impossible Until I just did it like I would with Snake, Wario, Link, Jigglypuff...etc. I actually get alot of K.O's using that technique as well...

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
You guys claw? Would you say it's alot more easier than the L or Z button? Why so?
imo its easier since claw position is natural for me, and the claw position makes the Z and L button slightly awkward imo. and I dont want to give up my R button for shielding.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
lol I've learned so much about the DACUS from this thread

4 frames to do it
Claw nonsense usefulness.

Like with all honestly I didn't know about the whole claw thing until Ankoku thread " InnocentRoad's Sheik tech vid things" which wasn't made that long ago. Now I was already really really against changing my controllers and now you guys are suggesting me to change my hand position, no thanks.

I tried the whole claw thing back in halo, didn't like it and got a sore finger. Anyways the answer is no, I don't find DACUS that hard to pull off it's just within a match is a bit different.

Usually when I fail to DACUS I don't hit the the 2nd attack button in at the correct time which causes me to do a downsmash. The way I've gotten around this is by realize the timing isn't that harsh and started to slow my button pressing down. Now if I had to slow myself down just to get it as well as I do how can I say it's hard?

What my problem is that I get excited in mid match sometimes or I'm so busy think of other things (usually match related) that I fail to slow myself down and start screwing up but something as small as that will only go away after extend use.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Um, I have been playing double claw since 2004 :). I don't find it silly.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Um, I have been playing double claw since 2004 :). I don't find it silly.
Why do you play double claw? o.O What's the point of keeping your thumb on the taunt button the whole time?

I personally just move my index fingers around the controller a lot, I just move it to the A button when I need to.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
This is why I love customizable controls. My Jump and my Attack are doubled up on the L and Z buttons respectively (Y set to grab). That way I can do things with my thumb at the same time as I use a shoulder button.

On topic, the DACUS is kinda hard. I can do it about...80% of the time, but even then, I don't feel comfortable using it in a match. It'll probably be a lot easier if I actually practice it, though. >_>

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Id like to hear how a player name ROGUE does it. He must have a unique control set up.

He's the most consistant DACUS'er ive ever played.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Personnally, i just tested the DACUS, and as with my Falco (or my Wolf), i can do it 99% of the time. :)

My secret ? L Button on Attack, simply.... (and no tap jump of course)

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
be realistic ppl...DACUS is HARD with Sheik.
sometimes i can get on a roll but my success rate is probably only like 1/4 which is even worse in an actual match. And i don't use claw position, don't see how that makes it easier...i set R to attack
its definitely never a guaranteed thing b/c of frame perfection. It makes other chars' DACUS feel easy

if u want to prove me otherwise show me a video of consistent DACUS use

Tristan_win

Not dead.
be realistic ppl...DACUS is HARD with Sheik.
sometimes i can get on a roll but my success rate is probably only like 1/4 which is even worse in an actual match. And i don't use claw position, don't see how that makes it easier...i set R to attack
its definitely never a guaranteed thing b/c of frame perfection. It makes other chars' DACUS feel easy

five months, give me five more months.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
if I had a recording device, I could show you one where I get it like 75% of the time that I use it. I'm a little out of it now thanks to my lulls in playing, but I was getting it pretty consistently in tournament play fora while.

...it's really just muscle memory once you get used to it.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Personnally, i find it REALLY useful... It makes Sheik a lot better. You can punish basically verything... Roll backwards, Ledge-hop...

Too good :D

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i like how most of the people in this thread are suddenly masters of the "dacus"... except for in a match.

well the only time it EVER matters is in a match - if you cant apply it you don't know it yet.

"I can do it just not to any level of effectiveness whatsoever" well whats the point then?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I can do it, use it in matches, and recently killed a Falco with it when he rolled backwards, 90% sure I saved that replay (I have a few with my DACUS in it) and I find it a helpful part of my game. In no way do I depend on it, but its great for punish kills on rolls when they roll towards the edge of the stage, or the grab release to DACUS on certain characters.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
For some reason, I can do it really easily with a giant Sheik, but I can't even do it right on 1/4 speed with normal Sheik. I'm guessing giant s

Of course, I only tried about 5 times in 1/4 speed before getting bored, but it was still annoying.

I'm now curious on how character size affects speed.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Okay boys.

Uses for DACUS:
- Long range surprise usmash from all the way across the stage
- Chasing an opponent after hitting him across the stage (not necessarily to connect... just to chase. It's faster than running.)

Other uses:
- none

When it is not useful:
- When you are not all the way across the stage
- Doing it just to do it
- When you can be punished (which is almost always)
- If you are not a real man

Other things that prevent its use:
- Difficulty
- Easily blocked

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Okay boys.

Uses for DACUS:
- Long range surprise usmash from all the way across the stage
- Chasing an opponent after hitting him across the stage (not necessarily to connect... just to chase. It's faster than running.)

Other uses:
- none

When it is not useful:
- When you are not all the way across the stage
- Doing it just to do it
- When you can be punished (which is almost always)
- If you are not a real man

Other things that prevent its use:
- Difficulty
- Easily blocked

You left out the only other 2 reasons >.>

Other uses:
Grab Releasing certain chars into a DACUS *coughs G&W, I've done it and got a replay... lost the match though due to a lucky 9*
To punish a bad roll (like against the edge of a stage)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
i like how most of the people in this thread are suddenly masters of the "dacus"... except for in a match.

well the only time it EVER matters is in a match - if you cant apply it you don't know it yet.

"I can do it just not to any level of effectiveness whatsoever" well whats the point then?
I use it well in matches too... Heck, I'm good enough at it that I mindgame people with it on command.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Choknater you disappoint me with your list.

At least say the DACUS is good for punishment or better yet for fear. Someone of your caliber should at least recognized that. I love your style man and I know your trying to downplay the whole "DACUS thing", which I'm against personally but if you really truly think that DACUS is only good for surprise attacks and for spacing then I'm sad to say I just lost a good chuck of respect for you.

=(

Top Bottom