• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
I heard that Nintendo may brick Wiis that dont upgrade to 4.2. This sounds like total BS, but was just looking to make sure. Any truth in this?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I heard that Nintendo may brick Wiis that dont upgrade to 4.2. This sounds like total BS, but was just looking to make sure. Any truth in this?
Sounds like complete BS. They have no method to detect what system menu your on because the SM shuts down when the game starts. As long as you have the proper IOS's installed, your fine.

sasook

Smash Champion
Not unless you want to do Waninkoko's Firmware Updater 4.2, but even then its made of fail, I see no point in updating at all unless you want the Shop Channel back
Oh I see, ok then.

Btw, bannerbomb is now available for 4.2, dunno if that's been said. I'm not really following this thread closely or anything xD.

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
hopefully i use a nintendo wi-fi usb connector for internet connection, i accidentally answered yes for update to 4.2, and before the update started, I disconnected the USB connector, after realizing what I just did.

ERROR : CONNECTION FAILED

good times

Sasuke3759

Smash Rookie
I don't mind not updating, but is there a way to get the use of my shop channel back without updating?

Every time I try to use it, the channel tells me I must update and then attempt to use the shop channel again.

Sasuke3759

Smash Rookie
What is the NUS downloader?

EDIT: Never mind

EDIT II: Actually, is there a guide that tells a person specifically how to use this?

I read that it can brick a Wii if something goes wrong and that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid by not getting the update.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
...has Nintendo once managed to block Homebrew with these annoying and arbitrary updates? No

...has Nintendo managed to screw over its customer base who have nothing to do with homebrew with these updates? Yes

...has Nintendo learned their lesson? I highly doubt it.

It's three years into the system's lifespan...when do you guys think Nintendo is just going to give up on this?

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
By the looks of things, not any time soon. Although this 4.2 think undoubtedly hurt their morale a bit.

What's the point though? People can simply choose not to upgrade, or use unofficial upgraders. THAT clearly isn't ever going to stop.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I hear that the hackers are trying to figure out a way so that the each wii has a different homebrew/bootmii (not sure which) name so that Nintendo can not attempt to stop all homebrews with one hack. They would have to issue a specific update to each persons wii so that the update works for their version of HBC or find the algorithm that was made that generates the random names for each wii so that their update will automatically know what your random name is to stop it.

Basically, if team twiizers can manage to pull this off, Nintendo will probably have no choice but to quit trying because every single wii will have a different HBC name instead of what it is now which is everyone having the same exact HBC.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
I updated to 4.2 just fine with no problems. I got lucky.

I feel for the people whom lost theirs though. Back when I played the Gamecube and my old $1000 TV got fried by a surge from a lightning strike, my GC's step-down transformer went with it. I thought the whole thing had bricked at the time.

I know the feeling of losing s system, temporary as it was.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I have a question. If I choose to update normally, then assuming the problem that's bricking virgin Wiis does not affect me, do I run a risk of getting bricked?

comboking

Smash Master
No once the installation is done you should be fine. As long as the installation doesn't stop in the middle. Make sure your Internet connection and power supply are as good as possible.

If you have HBC get the new bootmii and back up the Wii first.

CyberGlitch

Smash Journeyman
Cool info, Kupo. If Team Twiizers pulls it off, there might yet be hope. The new Indiana Pwns exploit is a nice plan B as well.

The only completely safe way to update your Wii is through using Homebrew...what a twisted world this is.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Does this mean it's okay to update then? o.o

I know the OP says not to but, I'm just curious.
It doesn't matter whether you have a hacked wii or a virgin wii. It is not safe for anyone to update through nintendo's servers.

I'm glad I'm not a pirate.
The funny thing is pirates are less likely to be screwed by this than just your everyday wii user, since pirates know not to update.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Lol.

It happened to some guy (***) who made fun of me for hacking my wii.
The jokes on him.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
I still have 3.3. should I get 4.2 through the safe update, or is 4.1 better? what advantages do I get? would I be able to do all the hacking goodness with it, or does it have a little limit?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Theres no real difference if you know what your doing between the two. I use 4.2, theres no real difference. Get the updated IOS's (except System menu stuff. get the last one before a stub for these) for everything.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
It updates to 4.2 without the risk of bricking your Wii.

Top Bottom