• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do NOT upgrade your Wii to 4.2 through Nintendo -- Safe Update!

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
So I heard bannerbomb is being fixed to run on 4.2

Thoughts?

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
oh god yes. My idiot of a roommate updaed my the horror of not having my b+. T^T

kupo15

Smash Hero
@Neon Togepi

Actually, TP is a GC game ported to Wii. So it's available on GC.

SMG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sunshine

Anywho, I can't use my Wii right now, so this isn't really a problem at the moment. Definitely good to know.
Sunshine def better. I'm not entirely sure why people hated sunshine. Not as good as 64 but loads better than SMG because it was more traditional exploration stuff. :p
Dont update.

Use Gecko OS.

Best of both worlds.
So let me get this straight. I pop in SMG2, load Gecko, click run like B+? Or is it one of the other options below run?
When it comes to the Wii, Nintendo is fighting a battle they already lost. It's like trying to fight in the results screen of Brawl. It doesn't make a difference because the match is over. They should just move on to something else.
Yea, its kinda like us and the flu. We lost the war but we need to keep fighting the next strain. We are always one step behind.
4.1 is actually the ideal version according to almost every Homebrew user.
why is that?

Maybe I should install Bootmii, unless I already have it. I'm so lost in the world of hacks :confused:

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
It’s really sad, but that wasn’t exaggerated at all. The first reports about bricks due to this official boot2 update are reported on Nintendo’s forums. Replies, which Ninty doesn’t like, are getting deleted. Anyway, it’s up to you if you want to risk it.
Wow... just wow.

n88

Smash Lord
@kupo

Since when was Mario about exploration? Traditional Mario is pretty much:

Beat Level>Get taken to new level>Repeat

The exploration is hardly traditional. I didn't hate Sunshine, I just vastly preferred Galaxy.

The replies getting deleted thing is kinda sad and really pathetic.

DQP

Smash Ace
i concur. it almost proves that nintendo doesn't care for us :cry:

oh well. if the new fix is out, i'll definitely download it. i'm guessing it's on wiibrew? if not, perhaps someone could post a download link?

kupo15

Smash Hero
@kupo

Since when was Mario about exploration? Traditional Mario is pretty much:

Beat Level>Get taken to new level>Repeat

The exploration is hardly traditional. I didn't hate Sunshine, I just vastly preferred Galaxy.

I meant traditional 3d mario, which is like, one predecessor. lol

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
i concur. it almost proves that nintendo doesn't care for us :cry:

oh well. if the new fix is out, i'll definitely download it. i'm guessing it's on wiibrew? if not, perhaps someone could post a download link?
You'll never get a download link here. All Homebrew download links are removed to prevent piracy. Google for it if you have to.

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
I hope people who already Homebrewed their Wii didn't consider upgrading and just ignored it all together. Hell, I'm still running verson 3.4u. :l

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I understand this sucks very much. But let's say all I have is Homebrew and Ocarina inside of Homebrew. I don't get a brick, right?

(Really sorry for posting this again, just really a paranoid guy afraid of throwing $250 down the drain.)

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Make sure you do a nand dump but Ocarina is a **** program, use Gecko OS and your like guaranteed not to brick. Just remember that Nintendo's new update is chances are more likely to brick your Wii than hacks will if your smart.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
"Nand Dump?" Whatever, I'm never updating again unless I have to to play a game. And yes, Ocarina is $***. I know nothing about this technical stuff.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Nand dump is a 1:1dump of the flash memory on the Wii. In short, you can make an exact copy of it. This isn;t very useful unless you by some chance happen to be able to restore it. Then it becomes very very useful, for any time you can load the restorer, you could undo any changes made to your Wii.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Nand dump is a 1:1dump of the flash memory on the Wii. In short, you can make an exact copy of it. This isn;t very useful unless you by some chance happen to be able to restore it. Then it becomes very very useful, for any time you can load the restorer, you could undo any changes made to your Wii.
Maybe I'll just copy my data to SD card if worse comes to worse when I get New Super Mario Bros. Wii...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
A lot of people like sunshine better than galaxy. I do. Galaxy is overrated as hell.
Couldn't have said it better myself. =D

... more like:

But in all honesty, Nintendo can't stop hackers. They're only making their jobs harder.
God, I know. I love the spin they put on it.

Besides, all of these stupid updates saying "BEHIND-THE-SCENE FIXES LULXXORZ"...like, I don't even buy that, you can tell the only thing they're doing is screwing Homebrew and such.

I'm no lawyer, but thinking like one...
If homebrew is indeed legal, this update may remove homebrew, but I think if it bricks your wii, Nintendo could be held responsible for some sort of malicious intent or perhaps destruction of property... I could be wrong about that. I don't think Nintendo would pull a jerk move like that anyway even if they couldn't be sued (They're trying to stop piracy, not punish it--I think), so I doubt that brickage is something to worry about.
EDIT: I thought of this based on EA Games getting sued--but now that I think about it, that was a PC game, and people have much more rights when it comes to computers. So instead of might be wrong, let's say there's a good chance that I'm wrong.
Once you agree to their Terms of Service, they have the right to brick your Wii if you don't abide by them. As such, what Nintendo is doing is obnoxious and controlling, but not illegal in the slightest.

And the misconception that not abiding by Terms of Service once you've agreed to them is illegal is incorrect. Homebrew itself isn't illegal, only the use of it to do pirate things.

I want to update just to update (Since I prefer legality)
It's not illegal to not have the most current firmware, why would it be...?

Wow... just wow.
Ugh, that's absolutely sickening.

Seriously, Nintendo's so full of crap. I can probably count on one hand the number of times Nintendo's put out an update that does anything other than kill Homebrew/AR/some other thing they don't like. Let's be perfectly honest, this is NOT just about pirating, and people who act like that's the big thing are kidding themselves. As I just mentioned, AR. AR does nothing illegal at all. Nintendo just kills it so you can't do something they don't like, which is a combination of using codes of any sort and bypassing the region lock -- which is really borderline legal, in all actuality, considering that it is basically a way of price-fixing.

This is just more of Nintendo insisting that you play THEIR way.

Now, doesn't this make you nostalgic for the days where teh intrawebz were much less prominent and game companies couldn't stop you from doing what you want to by updating your console wirelessly?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
God, I know. I love the spin they put on it.

Besides, all of these stupid updates saying "BEHIND-THE-SCENE FIXES LULXXORZ"...like, I don't even buy that, you can tell the only thing they're doing is screwing Homebrew and such.
They actually fixed the Conduit spawn glitch with a new IOS.

Once you agree to their Terms of Service, they have the right to brick your Wii if you don't abide by them. As such, what Nintendo is doing is obnoxious and controlling, but not illegal in the slightest.

And the misconception that not abiding by Terms of Service once you've agreed to them is illegal is incorrect. Homebrew itself isn't illegal, only the use of it to do pirate things.
Yeah, they can **** you over good. But there is more than just pirating, installing a new WAD for some stuff is illegal if it isn't gotten from Nintendo's servers, anything involving their code and more is illegal.

Seriously, Nintendo's so full of crap. I can probably count on one hand the number of times Nintendo's put out an update that does anything other than kill Homebrew/AR/some other thing they don't like. Let's be perfectly honest, this is NOT just about pirating, and people who act like that's the big thing are kidding themselves. As I just mentioned, AR. AR does nothing illegal at all. Nintendo just kills it so you can't do something they don't like, which is a combination of using codes of any sort and bypassing the region lock -- which is really borderline legal, in all actuality, considering that it is basically a way of price-fixing.

This is just more of Nintendo insisting that you play THEIR way.

Now, doesn't this make you nostalgic for the days where teh intrawebz were much less prominent and game companies couldn't stop you from doing what you want to by updating your console wirelessly?
And they completely screwed up doing it in the process. They ended up hurting non hackers more than hackers.

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
^ your avatar isn't as cool (@sage, not alex)

Waninkoko's firmware updater 4.2 is out, but I don't give it the all-clear still.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
I know that. it's the only good one I could find.

although...I took this totally dope pic of wario. I should make it my avatar. it's ****ing hilarious XD

comboking

Smash Master
I used the other updater to update my wii. It took a few tries but was worth it. Also got bannerbomb to work.
What IOS did they use to fix the The Conduit glitch. Does it come with 4.2U?

comboking

Smash Master
Can I get it elsewhere? Can someone PM me a link to a guide that tells me how to make a WAD for the system menu or is it not important?

Top Bottom