• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
You guys are all aware that even Nintendo cheaped out of Ultimate right? Sakurai made that clear in both the Harada interview and the final presentation. If you were an observant fan you could have read between the lines for yourself much earlier.

People that called "Smash 5/Ultimate" an "enhanced port" back in the day were straight-up crucified by Nintendofans (the same people celebrating the end of DLC for everyone right now) but now that Nintendofans have decided for themselves to no longer fervently deny the obvious it's a mainstream opinion but only because the cult of Sakurai got the painfully obvious to anyone willing to looking objectively past the initial hype (like me) confirmation from the man himself.

So there's that. Then the fact that Sakurai even had to make the call between bringing back everyone and having waaaaaay less newcomers, as a result, was another obvious sign that Nintendo was cheaping out. Then they snuck Byleth in at the end of a pass they basically bait and switched the fandom into thinking was an exclusively third party fighters pass (yes they even used Reggie's reputation to prop up this scam no matter what anyone says) all for a free (and wildly unpopular) 1st party choice and they knew their hardcore Nintendofan base would defend it with the "it's THEEEEEIR fighting game you guys are entitled and spoiled and ungrateful" spiels.

And then finally we went from 5 characters a year to 3 for two years. Another obvious sign of Nintendo not affording Smash the budget it truly deserves.
Top text
D26E500E-BD03-4C0B-B27E-F5B91AA76890.jpeg

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The fact that with a decreasing budget, they still managed to twist the Mouse, Square-Enix and Microsoft's hand should show you how big Smash is, and probably how much of a headache Sakurai must have felt as a director, alongside the lawyers and producers involved.

Celebrating the end of DLC is nothing bad. Let the man rest.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Because the CCP/China already breath down into Mihoyo's neck who's a CHINESE company, and already had to change and remove LGBTQ/ Lesbian stuff from Honkai impact because of them, and might have to remove even more with the new laws that was voted, that SPECIFICALLY target Genshin?
EvRYone took me serious but i was saying that because of how stupid "non Femboy s" is.

So like, again. Who cares what they think, they are scared of effeminate men and gay couples and no one should even take them seriously

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So like, again. Who cares what they think, they are scared of effeminate men and gay couples and no one should even take them seriously
I think you keep missing the fact that Mihoyo is a Chinese company, and has to follow the law of the CCP, y'know, their own country.

No one take them seriously.

But Mihoyo have to.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I think you keep missing the fact that Mihoyo is a Chinese company, and has to follow the law of the CCP, y'know, their own country.

No one take them seriously.

But Mihoyo have to.
Oh, I know Mihoyo is a Chinese company and I know they have no choice but listen to what the country tells them to do.

I was just saying

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I love how we can have uncensored talks about Silent Hill and Doom but the F Word is off limits.

My fragile kid baby brain just can’t handle all this vulgar heresy
I love that you went for SH and Doom instead of the weekly hornyposting that happens here.

...Though admittedly, it's not as bad as when Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra were revealed. :4pacman:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ideologically most people this side of the partition agree what China is doing is bull****, including the people in the companies that are kowtowing to them. But what companies do is almost never motivated by their ethics, it's motivated by their margins (or for Chinese companies, what is legal). So expect them to fall in line and changes to be made to placate China's laws.

Swings both ways. They'll alter their products to appease discriminatory mandates and then sell you rainbows in June. They're not anyone's allies, they just want to make money. If the rest of the world was saying "no gay" and China was like "we like gay", it'd be the complete inverse with the exact same people in the exact same positions.

Never look to companies for what their standing is on social issues because they're only as progressive as will net them the best yield and only as conservative as will mitigate the most loss.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here’s my thoughts on the dlc roster explained by japanese text emoji

:ultpiranha: (๑•ૅㅁ•๑)
:ultjoker:(。・ω・。)
:ulthero:(*´∀`)♪
:ultbanjokazooie:٩( ᐛ )و
:ult_terry:ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"
:ultbylethf:ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
:ultminmin(´・∀・`)
:ultsteve:ಠ_ಠ
:ultsephiroth:・゜゚・:.。..。.:・'(゚▽゚)'・:.。. .。.:・゜゚・
:ultpyra::ultmythra:(´༎ຶོρ༎ຶོ`)
:ultkazuya:ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
:ultsora:((o(^∇^)o))

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

Here Is mine
everyone:ᕙ[・۝・]ᕗ
Banjo, steve, minmin, pya/mythra: :|

SharkLord

Smash Hero
5. Evelysse (Star Ocean Anamnesis) YES I AM STILL SAD IT SHUT DOWN 😭
Y'know I misread this as "Star Ocean Amnesiacs" at first. I also confused the term with "insomniacs" at first.

We could've had a wildly off-topic quip here.
Why not Venti, then? I'd argue he's more popular and has more to work with.
Admittedly, my knowledge of Genshin is fairly limited. I'm mainly going with Amber on the basis that she's the first character you get outside of the Traveler and apparently receives a lot of focus in the marketing; Since that's who miHoYo was going with, I thought she seemed like a fairly safe bet. Granted, Paimon's also the series mascot, but discounting all the theorizing and speculation surrounding her I have no idea what to do with her.

To a lesser extent, there's also the fact that she's from a Western nation (Mondstadt, the Germany analogue) and one of her grandparents is from the China analogue. Granted, I'm from the US and not Germany and my Chinese ancestry is a bit closer than just a grandfather, but hey, we have something in common. Not really my main reason for going with her, but I think it's neat.
Isn't the former under danger due to China's new "no femboy" law?
1633824226530.png

Technomage

Smash Champion
Y'know I misread this as "Star Ocean Amnesiacs" at first. I also confused the term with "insomniacs" at first.

We could've had a wildly off-topic quip here.

Admittedly, my knowledge of Genshin is fairly limited. I'm mainly going with Amber on the basis that she's the first character you get outside of the Traveler and apparently receives a lot of focus in the marketing; Since that's who miHoYo was going with, I thought she seemed like a fairly safe bet. Granted, Paimon's also the series mascot, but discounting all the theorizing and speculation surrounding her I have no idea what to do with her.

To a lesser extent, there's also the fact that she's from a Western nation (Mondstadt, the Germany analogue) and one of her grandparents is from the China analogue. Granted, I'm from the US and not Germany and my Chinese ancestry is a bit closer than just a grandfather, but hey, we have something in common. Not really my main reason for going with her, but I think it's neat.

View attachment 333844
I don't think you'd wanna continue that conversation any further.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
And so, China's never-ending quest against things that makes old people scared continues.

And it's still getting destroyed by Touhou on that regard too. No really, between Miko being pretty much a transgender character (was a boy, but then reincarnated as a girl), and Mike having that whole thing about her being a femboy when her design was revealed, Touhou is still dunking on China, while still being very popular in China. And also there's that whole about Lunarians being a critique of how China was and still is on some regards.

And yet China has still either not caught up (somehow), or is ignoring it on purpose because they are too scared of this video game series made by one drunk japanese guy because he saw someone code a game and though he could do it too while he was in college.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And so, China's never-ending quest against things that makes old people scared continues.

And it's still getting destroyed by Touhou on that regard too. No really, between Miko being pretty much a transgender character (was a boy, but then reincarnated as a girl), and Mike having that whole thing about her being a femboy when her design was revealed, Touhou is still dunking on China, while still being very popular in China. And also there's that whole about Lunarians being a critique of how China was and still is on some regards.

And yet China has still either not caught up (somehow), or is ignoring it on purpose because they are too scared of this video game series made by one drunk japanese guy because he saw someone code a game and though he could do it too while he was in college.
Actually I'm not sure if they explained what's going on with Miko. I'm personally of mind that Shotoku chose to reincarnate as a girl, but I think it's left ambiguous on if that's the case or if Shotoku was always a girl and just got remembered as a guy over time. I think at one point we just had a scene of Sanae looking at a dollar with Shotoku on it and wondering where Miko's beard went or something.

Also, what was going on with Mike? Don't think I heard about it back then.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Also, what was going on with Mike? Don't think I heard about it back then.
Supposedly, someone on twitter once said Maneki-neko who raise their right paw like Mike are supposed to be male. The only source I can find on this is this link here, but it no longer works.

As far as independent research has shown, that's baseless. The right paw is for cats who beckon money, while left represents customers. Maneki-Neko are of unknown gender, but Calico cats like her that have Calico patterns are near-universally female.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
We talking about ****ty things the CCP does?

Allow me to add to the mix and point out that China likely has a lot to do with Soyny's censorious content policies. Look up the "China Hero Project". Soyny has been directly funneling money into Chinese game developers for years. And it's a safe bet Xi Pooh Ping doesn't want international rivals cutting into the growth of his own nation's industries.

CCPS5.png

I don't know. It's not like with Koei or ArcSys where their most Prominent character is Absent, or with something like Ubisoft where their main character for Smash (Rayman) didn't get any sort of Extra content in DLC. With that being said, there is still that Farmer game Simulator that has no Presence in smash yet, so Maybe?
This is Senran erasure and I won't stand for it.

Tell me we are not talking about Chinese politics here.

Really, I know speculation has essentially ended, but why this?
Unfortunately lots of video game companies see West Taiwan as a growth market, so how this affect games, including Smash, is relevant to our discussions.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Allow me to add to the mix and point out that China likely has a lot to do with Soyny's censorious content policies. Look up the "China Hero Project". Soyny has been directly funneling money into Chinese game developers for years. And it's a safe bet Xi Pooh Ping doesn't want international rivals cutting into the growth of his own nation's industries.

View attachment 333849
Well, I guess that that's explained, at least.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Okay, to steer the discussion into a less gloomy real-life topic:

Sora's not even out yet and UR2SLOW has already made a video making fun of Sora in Smash:

I've gotten so used to robotic text-to-speech voices in these meme videos that the voice acting in this video threw me off hard.

Meme have ruined me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Most of these are new to me and I love them

Also yes
٩( ᐛ )و
This was actually me for Banjo.

Picture Of The Day

I Love this one
Big "PotD is ending soon but we only just revealed Sora so **** it I'm making the most of it" energy from Sakurai as of late lol

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
words

View attachment 333849

This is Senran erasure and I won't stand for it.

Unfortunately lots of video game companies see West Taiwan as a growth market, so how this affect games, including Smash, is relevant to our discussions.
undertale_text_box (1).png

Last edited:

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Sora Limited
Focus on SORA when your pool of pics is LIMITED

haha i made funny
Was the POTDs ending confirmed already? I was hoping it would last a while longer

You had a good point for like a few seconds and then descended into... whatever the rest of this is. Some kind of GameFAQs copypasta?
Seing as the very first point was a lie about a fake information and statement (Sakurai talked about dlc budget, not the main game), proceeded by another lie that this old bait about Ulti being just a port is somehow a "mainstream" opinion somehow somewhere.... I don't see any good point at all, just trolling or maybe its a copypasta

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Okay so like I get what you are saying and agree for the most part but damn...

You really did just use "Soy" as an insult in the year 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom