• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
Which character do you think will make everyone happy?
The characters that have been added without seeing anyone disappointed so far are :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
No character will ever make everyone happy, some people were dissaponted with those two because "irrelevant" or they simply hated their fanbases (like the krool one), even Steve wasn't well received by everyone and had some detractors. I believe the newcomer who got the least amount of dissapointment was Inkling.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I feel like I can save my salt for if we start to get characters from other dead Square series before Geno, because at that point there is clearly an issue with the character in some regard.
While I can kinda understand why you could feel that way.

I do have to say that I think Crono would be a very based inclusion. getting Chrono music in Smash (Trigger and Cross) would be awesome.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Weird question but would you regard Hatsune miku as “never ever” type of choice?
Hatsune Miku is in this Limbo of, she's a Software Icon first for a Digital Vocal bank first, but her Games, like the Project Diva Series are known Worldwide.
So...SHE IS a software....She's in the same category as a video game. Just...Not a video game.
Y'know, she's in that blurry line.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

I do have to say that I think Crono would be a very based inclusion. getting Chrono music in Smash (Trigger and Cross) would be awesome.
I would be so down with Crono man, but like, if he showed up before Geno I feel like I'd start to look like what most people think Geno fans are like.

It's still buy him and play him though. I bet he would rock in Smash.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I 'unno.

I like that Smash really is a "Gaming hall of fame." to a degree.

Is it perfect? No, absolutely not. But if you take Assist Trophies and Mii outfits into account? It's damn close. We got ****ing Pong here.
Only thing missing at this point is like a Tetris stage or Space Invaders assist trophy, which both feel very weird to not have.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Btw this ballot legitimacy argument reminds me how TF2 fans spread a Smash poll among other TF2 fans and suddenly a lot more people wanted TF2 in Smash than other fan polls shown, the conclusion to this was that the TF2 fans clearly just botted the character instead of genuinely voting for Heavy and spreading the poll to places that aren't hardcore diehard Smash fans
They did it to the r/smashbros wishlist poll too, putting him above Master Chief.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Isn't she a computer program character? like Clippy or, idk, Bonzi Buddy?
Kinda but I do see some who compare her in a similar situation to :ultwiifittrainer:
Vocaloid is mostly seen as video game franchise than anything else

I would honestly be happy with his reveal than :ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultsora: combined
In a way he is type of character that was abandoned by the parents company so seeing his revival would be amazing just like :ultbanjokazooie:
However I would still prefer to have Geno first.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Which character do you think will make everyone happy?
The characters that have been added without seeing anyone disappointed so far are :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:
Dante, at his peak he was top 5 in the USA (1 vote behind Sora) on the big Source Gaming fan poll, and 2nd in Japan on another fan-poll (Again, behind Sora).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I really missed seeing all the characters as Trophies. They have to bring that back instead of Spirits.
I would like that but I think it takes too much space for the game plus we won’t have as many trophies as spirits we currently have and I could name a lot of characters that are currently spirits that would go missing if trophies came back for the fact that they don’t have any 3d model.
I think the best option is spirits with the character information in it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Crono seems like the kind of character that would have a lot of popularity within the diehard fanbase, and yet he's never really touched on, is he.

To me he fits the mold of fanbase favourite that one part loves and gets a little zealous about and then the other part argues with the chunk that loves him. One of those characters plucked from the crowd and given a bandwagon of his own because he strikes a chord with people. But I guess he's not.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The only rules are "No 4th party" and "No Geno fighter".

I still think Goku could show up whenever Sakurai decides it. Like, we got Sora, so we only have to step over the line just a bit more right?

Crono seems like the kind of character that would have a lot of popularity within the diehard fanbase, and yet he's never really touched on, is he.

To me he fits the mold of fanbase favourite that one part loves and gets a little zealous about and then the other part argues with the chunk that loves him. One of those characters plucked from the crowd and given a bandwagon of his own because he strikes a chord with people. But I guess he's not.
Huh, this feels familiar. I feel like there is another Square character who has fit this for years now...strange.

Actually, this really just fits any character anymore. Everyone is to busy fighting each other over the characters they want to think about whether they SHOULD be fighting.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The only way I see Goku or any "non-gaming" character happening is if Sakurai steps down from Smash, and even then I'd be highly doubtful of it happening just because of all the hoops that'd probably have to be jumped through just to get some of the more notable examples (like Goku).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Huh, this feels familiar. I feel like there is another Square character who has fit this for years now...strange.
There is, but I think it describes most fanbase favourites who aren't huge names in gaming, whether Geno or Isaac or Shantae or KOS-MOS or whoever. Even Ridley and K. Rool and Banjo before they got in, to some extent. It's not all about one character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
There is, but I think it describes most fanbase favourites who aren't huge names in gaming, whether Geno or Isaac or Shantae or KOS-MOS or whoever. Even Ridley and K. Rool and Banjo before they got in, to some extent. It's not all about one character.
Actually, this really just fits any character anymore. Everyone is to busy fighting each other over the characters they want to think about whether they SHOULD be fighting.
Feel like I mentioned that, but perhaps you quoted this and missed that or the edit I made loaded weird and didn't include the whole message somehow.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The only way I see Goku or any "non-gaming" character happening is if Sakurai steps down from Smash, and even then I'd be highly doubtful of it happening just because of all the hoops that'd probably have to be jumped through just to get some of the more notable examples (like Goku).
Do you see why all those non-video game characters that Japanese games do crossover? All western. Geralt, Yoda, Spawn in Soul Caliber, Negan in Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom. If Bandai Namco and Capcom can't do crossover with manga property, good luck with Nintendo.

Calane

Smash Ace
Sugiyama passed away R.I.P.
Wait- What!? I was just reading posts in my boredom. I didn't expect to read this out of nowhere.

While I know he wasn't a particularly well liked person outside japan (for various reasons), I do very much enjoy his music. May the man rest in peace.

Edit: (Just in case this has to be said- No, I don't condone the dude's views or anything like that. I just like Dragon Quest music.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I really missed seeing all the characters as Trophies. They have to bring that back instead of Spirits.
I mean, Trophies eat up so much more resources which is one of the reasons they went for Spirits. That being said, I do wish Spirits got descriptions like the Trophies did, it's a shame that got lost
Do you see why all those non-video game characters that Japanese games do crossover? All western. Geralt, Yoda, Spawn in Soul Caliber, Negan in Tekken, Marvel vs Capcom. If Bandai Namco and Capcom can't do crossover with manga property, good luck with Nintendo.
I mean, technically Strider counts but if you want to ignore him, Capcom also has TvC under their belt.

Also fan rules are only fan rules until Sakurai says otherwise, then it's something Sakurai can simply change his mind on later

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And guess how that ended...
They had to remove certain characters from the roster to release outside of Japan.

Not to mention this
That was one single character, was it not? Not bad for a game that wasn't intended to leave Japan to begin with. Not to mention that the license ending happened with a World of Final Fantasy DLC character, don't remember who it was for though, something with an S?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That was one single character, was it not? Not bad for a game that wasn't intended to leave Japan to begin with. Not to mention that the license ending happened with a World of Final Fantasy DLC character, don't remember who it was for though, something with an S?
Snake from Kingdom Snakes Solid, Tactical Crossover Action where everyone is Snake.
You have Solid Snake, Venom Snake, Naked Snake and more.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just hope that with Sugiyama's (fortunate) passing, the music rights for DQ won't be so difficult going forward and thus ensuring that Hero can make it into the base roster next time around. Usually when people talk about cuts, Hero's one of the first to go due to how the DQ music copyrights worked under Sugiyama.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Weird question but would you regard Hatsune miku as “never ever” type of choice or possiblities?
Miku is in a grey area with regards to her eligibility - though I would say that it's a darker shade of grey.
I don't think her odds are good by any stretch, but with Sora blurring the line the way he does, I'd say it's not impossible if we do get an Ultimate port (meaning she wouldn't have to compete with veterans and Ultimate's own massively popular newcomers.)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Shh.

It's because of the KH lore.
Everyone is either Sora or Xehanort one way or another in the end.
Speaking of, I'm surprised at the lack of antagonists in the Spirit Board. You can see some of them in certain configurations of the stage (I saw Ansem in Riku's, Xehanort in Aqua and Terra's, Vanitas in Aqua and Ven's and Xemnas in Roxas and Xion's), but they don't have Spirits.

Assist trophy from the same game getting promoted, alongside Mii Costume.
I'd say Mii Costume is broken. Sakurai flat out said we would have gotten Rex upgraded if not for hardware limitations.

Given that Spring Man was part of the guessing game and they never said the AT was a reason for him not being picked, I'd say that one is a step away from being broken too.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
tbh with the Rex thing, I still do kinda think that they realized the Driver/Blade concept wasn't gonna work out in Smash all the way back in 2017/2018 and THAT's why they made him a bonus costume for FP1, leaving the door open for another XB2 rep to be added along the way, which led to Pyra and Mythra by themselves.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'd say Mii Costume is broken. Sakurai flat out said we would have gotten Rex upgraded if not for hardware limitations.
Nah, you know the community.
****'s not broken until it happens.
Until I don't get my Isaac mii costume and Isaac as a DLC in the same game. Ain't happening

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom