• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Went with round 6 on the poll because the Vault Boy costume is really good.

Would have been cool if more Miis came with music tracks. Maybe we'll get one more with the last round.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Travis and Dante were the most exciting costumes to me as I firmly believe that Mii Costumes are in fact, not an insult. Sans was the most shocking as I was bored as hell for that entire presentation until I heard those 4 ****ing notes and jolted upwards and the FF7 batch was simply wonderful.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I slept through the beginning of Sephiroth's day... which is oddly fitting considering I slept through his reveal. At the time I did not have any social media account so I didn't know a fighter would be announced in the Game Awards, so I just... skipped it. I didn't want a repeat of last year's TGA in which I lost way too many hours of sleep because I thought they would announced the next character, and I wasn't too invested in Smash Speculation at the time still, so there was no point risking it. So when I woke up next morning and checked a gaming website to see what was announced, I instantly regretted it.

I have never played Final Fantasy VII, but I knew who Cloud and Sephiroth were. I still recall watching the Nintendo Direct where Cloud was revealed with my friend and losing my ****ing mind over it because I did not see that coming and it was so insane. That's one of my favorite Smash memories ever. While it was disappointing that he only came with two music tracks, Cloud being in Smash was amazing and huge in a way that can't be overstated.

So when I found out Sephiroth made it in, I was excited for pretty much the same reason. I never thought of him as a viable option, especially since Cloud was already such an unexpected character. The reveal trailer was ****ing amazing too, and he fixed my biggest gripe with Cloud's inclusion - the music. He's also really fun to play as. All in all, Sephiroth is my favorite character of FP2.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
It's officially October 2nd.

Just 3 days to go.

That said we talk about one of gaming's most iconic and recognizable villains none other than

The best reveal trailer, easily and it's not even close, especially with the Advent Children references + the whole nature of "the big villain got taken down" to "oh ****, we got someone even worse". In terms of iconic characters and marketing to a mass audience, I'd argue Sephiroth wins this easily. Almost everyone knows the first four notes to One-Winged Angel and it really showed in reaction videos. His gameplay is also really fun and he has a couple of unique things to the typical anime swordsmen flair such as a different working counter and Shadow Flare. He's since been a secondary of mine and is probably my second favourite DLC character overall and the only reason why he's not my favourite is because I really like Xenoblade 2 so that puts :ultpyra: / :ultmythra: above him.

Oh and he like gave us a lot of FF7 content that should've been in since Smash 4 DLC when :4cloud:was released.

Also I genuinely think the majority of anime swordsmen have some of the best movesets in the game so I'm pretty fond of him no matter what. I highly doubt this character being in has had any negative reception anywhere.

TL:DR He's not my personal favourite in the pass, but he is probably the best choice in both passes and I really like him.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Because that's the armor. :bowsette: Did you read what I said?
I did read what you said and I offered a counter argument. The armour is clearly meant for Steve and it shows bendable legs so if you put Steve into the armour, it would clearly work.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I never listened to One Winged Angel before Sephiroth joined so I didn't know, sorry 😔😔😔😔😔😔😔
But I knew it was Sephiroth the literal frame that Cloud showed up lol
Had the same reaction I had when Cloud was revealed afterwards, which was pure and utter shock, mouth open and all (and that was when I hadn't played FF7 at all at the time, which I still haven't finished it because it's a chore honestly, sorry not sorry 😅, but I obviously knew who Cloud was and how much of a big deal it was)

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Been hearing a lot of people say Sora has been leaked. I saw the 4chan leak and it was... lol.

Not that I believe it, but can someone explain to me the whole Disney ownership thing?

So Disney owns the entire franchise now? Including the music?

I just think that, if he does somehow get in, which I don't think is likely, it would be a shame to get so little music.

Last KH I played was 2, and I'm not exactly too fond of how confusing the franchise has becoming with its narrative, but I did always like the music.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Been hearing a lot of people say Sora has been leaked. I saw the 4chan leak and it was... lol.

Not that I believe it, but can someone explain to me the whole Disney ownership thing?

I just think that, if he does somehow get in, which I don't think is likely, it would be a shame to get so little music.

Last KH I played was 2, and I'm not exactly too fond of how confusing the franchise has becoming with its narrative, but I did always like the music.
How much ownership Sqaure and Disney have over the original KH stuff is something we've never really agreed on because it's never been directly confirmed by anyone, so this leak already runs off of shaky ground.

We do know Disney tries to get Square's approval to get Sora in stuff, but whether it's out of respect towards Nomura or because Square owns it is unknown.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If nothing else, Sephiroth is the triumph of a fantastic reveal.

Keep in mind I was someone still somewhat hoping for Geno, would have loved a bunch of various FF characters to get in, and was not exactly in a hurry to get yet more fighters from Final Fantasy VII (which thanks to the remake hype I was already getting fatigue about). Yet even in spite of all that, and knowing that the video at the Game Awards likely guaranteed we wouldn't get any of my SE preferences in Smash?

I was still hyped by Sephiroth. That's how you know when a trailer is fantastic when it makes you excited in spite of yourself.

As far as him as a fighter, he ended up very solid. It helps that his fundamentals are sound and that even though I rarely take advantage of his nuanced elements like the One Winged Angel phase, his range and overall power still feels good to play with. He's definitely the Square Enix character I've taken to the most overall and unlike say Plant (whom I've described as someone that one some level I can't help but lament could have been another more prominent first party fighter) I can enjoy Sephiroth largely without any bittersweet feelings about not getting Geno or Terra in Ultimate.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

How much ownership Sqaure and Disney have over the original KH stuff is something we've never really agreed on because it's never been directly confirmed by anyone, so this leak already runs off of shaky ground.

We do know Disney tries to get Square's approval to get Sora in stuff, but whether it's out of respect towards Nomura or because Square owns it is unknown.
Disney owns all the original content. The copyright screens in each game point that out.

John Vignocchi, VP of production for Disney Infinity has also gone on record saying Disney owns it all.

Disney also doesn't have to seek approval from Square. They did so out of courtesy and brand consciousness for Disney Infinity but in the past Disney sought to use the IP without involvement from Square for Kingdom Hearts V Cast.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice

No one really knows 100%, especially here. Depending on one’s feelings towards Sora inclusion, Kingdom Hearts and it’s characters jump back and forth in ownership between Square and/or Disney trying to justify a narrative. To my knowledge, Kingdom Hearts is owned by Disney in collaboration with Square. Joint custody, but Disney was the “favored mother.”

All that being said, yes, Kingdom Hearts storyline is very intricate and has a lot of things to keep up with. It can come off confusing and convoluted at times. Kingdom Hearts III did a great job of tying everything together though and ending the Xehanort Saga. At least in my opinion.

Edit: I stand corrected! See post above! Thank you person who posted that.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I just know there’s a lot of “pick me”’s that surround Smash speculation in regards to potential leaks, and that in the past there have been instances of people claiming to be the originator of a “leak” and the claim ends up being false.

It just seem like anytime Sora is brought up here, he immediately gets copious amounts of unnecessary flack for people ever even thinking he should be in the game. Then comes the flood of fan rules.

The people that claim Sora can’t get in because is he considered a Square Enix rep are the same people that clamor for Master Chief.
When people say Sora is unlikely, most people cite Disney as the main culprit, not double dip fan rule. At least, that's how it's like from what I've seen.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Sephiroth's reveal is legendary if you ask me. People expecting like a billion other characters but BOOM it's Sephiroth. I can't imagine that his reveal could possibly be topped by CP11, unless it's like Gordon Freeman or something.

Also.
Clearly this is indicative of what awaits in the distant future for Smash Bros.
:4pacman:

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
When people say Sora is unlikely, most people cite Disney as the main culprit, not double dip fan rule. At least, that's how it's like from what I've seen.
But why though? I know Disney is protective of their IP just like Nintendo is, and even Square for that matter, but surely it can’t be this nigh insurmountable task in order to get Disney and Nintendo to get Sora in Smash. Difficult? Sure. Impossible? No.

I think it gets blown way out of proportion.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The best thing Sephiroth did was put an end to the constant mockery of FF only having 2 songs in Smash. The character is fun to play as also which is nice

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
STOP POSTING ABOUT AMONG US! I'M TIRED OF SEEING IT! MY FRIENDS ON TIKTOK SEND ME MEMES, ON DISCORD IT'S ****ING MEMES! I was in a server, right? and ALL OF THE CHANNELS were just among us stuff. I-I showed my champion underwear to my girlfriend and t-the logo I flipped it and I said "hey babe, when the underwear is sus HAHA DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DI DI DING" I ****ing looked at a trashcan and said "THAT'S A BIT SUSSY" I looked at my penis I think of an astronauts helmet and I go "PENIS? MORE LIKE PENSUS" AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
happy Saturday campers
I had a dream where we all live reacted to CP11 on a discord VC call.

that was uh, interesting to say the least

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Sephiroth's reveal is legendary if you ask me. People expecting like a billion other characters but BOOM it's Sephiroth. I can't imagine that his reveal could possibly be topped by CP11, unless it's like Gordon Freeman or something.

Also.
Oh the humanity, the horror, the horror!

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Doing my post a bit earlier today since I'm gonna be busy. This is gonna be a long one but this is my favorite DLC addition so far/

SEPHIROTH:
This is for sure the best DLC addition to Smash. Everything from reveal to moveset to music to mii costumes, it's all amazing. I've mentioned a few of my friends in this daily reflection posts. I want to highlight two in particular. The Persona fan I mentioned in my Joker post and the Fire Emblem fan I mentioned in my Byleth post. These are two of my closest friends and we lived together this past year of college. We ere watching the game awards live at our house and like everyone else were shocked they dropped it so early. Needless to say we figured out who the character was like two notes into One Winged Angel. We lost our ****. The trailer really is the best one they've made. The build up, the music drop, Cloud's CG debut, the wing appearing, slashing away Greninja and Bayonetta, stabbing Mario, and culminating in crazy Advent Children shenanigans. So good. It was hype trailer and we all knew who Sephiroth was, but none of us had actually beaten FFVII. My FE friend had gotten partially thru it but me and my other friend had never played it. I had bought it on the eshop like a year prior but never touched.

Shortly after Sephiroth's release, all three of us independently started playing FFVII on our switches. We never played together but we would check in on each other, seeing where we were and making jokes. All three of us fell in love with the game, it's world, and especially it's characters. Sephiroth became something of a household meme for us. The Sephirpoth "t-pose" that he does throughout the game became a common sight in the house lol. Something remotely out of place would be met with a "Did Sephiroth do this?". Dumb and childish? Yes. But ****posting was a common occurrence in our household. Once we had all beaten the game, us newly converted fans had an Advent Children movie night. Such a bad movie, but watching while riffing with two close friends who are all FFVII fans? That's a magical experience.

Then in March this year, FFVII Remake was one of the free games offered through PS+. My friend got it on his PS4 and we decided we'd play through it together. Every time we played all three of us would be present and we'd pass the controller around, usually when one of us died or got tired or wanted to do a specific part of the game. It was one of my favorite experiences playing a video game. That communal feeling as we all re-experienced a game we loved so much was magical, especially the night where we stayed up late and played the final two chapters. People back in the 90s have stories about late nights in college playing FFVII. Well my friends and I did just that with remake. it's become one of those quintessential college memories.

But back to Sephiroth, I was already super hyped over his inclusion from the beginning but playing FFVII, Remake, and watching AC evolved it to a whole new level. It might still be a little early to call Sephiroth my main since I'm still a little torn between him and Chrom, but Sephiroth is one of my favorite characters to play. I love playing swordies and Sephiroth feels satisfying in a way I almost can't describe. Each sword swing feels weighty, every stab is deadly, and the specials, especially neutral B are so good to land. Octoslash is a contender for favorite move in Smash. The way each hit lands and drags the opponent along, oooooh that's good. He also has perhaps the best final smash in the game. Like so many pof the DLC characters you can just feel the love that went into designing the character.

One other factor that pushes Sephiroth into being the best DLC addition is his challenger pack. Perhaps the biggest sin committed by Ultimate (besides netcode of course) was the sheer lack of FFVII content. For a soundtrack as transcendent as FFVII's only having two MIDI rips is a crime. Luckily Sephiroth fixed all of this. They added a lot of the must have tracks like One Winged Angel, Bombing Mission, and JENOVA, but also some stuff you wouldn't expect like Cosmo Canyon and a more upbeat Aerith's theme. Well my two favorite songs in FFVII are JENOVA and Cosmo Canyon so I'm a happy camper. Could definitely use some music from Remake, which is a contender for my favorite game soundtrack of all time. Northern Cave is my favorite DLC stage partially because of the music but also its non-intrusive layout and striking background. Having this soundtrack on a competitively sound stage is a massive win. And thank god we finally got Mii costumes and spirits! Really makes FFVII feel whole in Smash. Just missing an assist trophy at this point, which Tifa or Aerith could definitely fill nicely. But I love all the characters (except Cait Sith) so I'd be fine with anyone.

Sorry, I know that was a lot but I had to gush. This is without a doubt the best challenger pack. I kind of already thought that beforehand, but now that I'm an FFVII super fan, it's evolved into something even more. FFVII and it's remake are now some of my favorite games of all time and Sephiroth is probably my new main. I'm so glad Smash has once again introduced to a new world and game to fall in love with. I hope everyone has gotten to have an experience like mine. Be it with FFVII, or any game added to this monumental crossover.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
On the topic of sephiroth, who’s that one person you go to to watch their reaction to sephiroth’s trailer.

I always go to somecallmejohnny’s sephiroth reaction as it’s Just an absolute blast to hear his reaction along with his friends reactions and also hear him and his friends make jokes About FF7’s content in smash and just jokes in general.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I really like Sepiroth. Came with some absolutely iconic content and he has a great moveset that plays like no-one else on the roster but still plays like Smash. Definitely my favorite addition in Fighters Pass 2 so far and he makes a great case for best addition of all the DLC.

As for the trailer, it was pretty late so I had to watch on mute, so I didn’t catch OWA but I got the feeling it was him once they zoomed in on Cloud.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
On the topic of sephiroth, who’s that one person you go to to watch their reaction to sephiroth’s trailer.

I always go to somecallmejohnny’s sephiroth reaction as it’s Just an absolute blast to hear his reaction along with his friends reactions and also hear him and his friends make jokes About FF7’s content in smash and just jokes in general.
Murderofbirds and MaxDood

their reactions were so insanely natural and their screaming makes it all the better

Also Sephiroth is a villain, and I love villains. Therefore I love Sephiroth. Dude has a sick *** origin story too. Dang why’d they have to inject his own mother into him? Analysis on Sephiroth over. :4pacman:

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
happy Saturday campers
I had a dream where we all live reacted to CP11 on a discord VC call.

that was uh, interesting to say the least
I has a dream last night where Marina from Splatoon 2 owned a shopping centre that was actually a concentration camp.

I wonder what the dream therapists have to say about that.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But why though? I know Disney is protective of their IP just like Nintendo is, and even Square for that matter, but surely it can’t be this nigh insurmountable task in order to get Disney and Nintendo to get Sora in Smash. Difficult? Sure. Impossible? No.

Inwas about to say "it cant be that hard to get KH music, can it really?" Then I remembered that Kingdom Hearts 3 theme and battle theme for the Hercules stage Mount Olympus played at the Olympics sooo lol

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sephiroth is today?
Gonna be honest, while the reveal trailer was awesome, it makes me sad every time I watch it.
15 hours before the trailer (before we knew Nintendo would have Smash at TGA) my grandmother passed away so my mind was on other things and Smash was not something I wanted to think about. Thus the trailer is one of my least favorites simply because of when it came out.
As for the character, he’s evil, but he also has one of my least favorite movesets of the DLC. The stage and music more than make up for this though.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

I can see where they are coming from. Disney tends to set certain amount of influence when they lend their properties. Look at what happened to Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. But, there are cases like Starwars and Marvel in Fornite and Pirate of Carribean in Sea of Thieves. It's hard to guage Disney when they definitely showed going overboard. I can't say for sure, but this is reasoning most people brought from my observation.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sephiroth is kind of ironic to me. He is a villain but he saved fighter pass 2 after I thought about giving up on it so he's kind of like the Hero of the story. His trailer was top notch, it was really captivating, he looked really powerful and Sephiroth is just such a cool character. Him and Kazuya pretty much saved Fighter Pass 2 for me.

Dukefire

Smash Master
3 days remaining

Sephiroth: The One-Winged Angel to give despair to everyone

At the VGA 2020, we didn't notice who was during the first 30 seconds. Until the specific tune kicked in for everyone to know WHO it is. If Cloud is in Smash, Sephiroth will surely follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom