• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
sephiroth’s trailer was so confusing, I was just wondering why owa was playing in a smash trailer and why mario just got stabbed

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
List of rules for Smash eligibility:
1. The character must originate from a video game.
Not just the character. The IP must originate from a video game.

Like, Android 21 isn't eligible, because even though she originated from a video game, she's still a Dragon Ball character. And Dragon Ball is still a manga property.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sephiroth was really funny because I was watching it with friends over Discord, but they were watching the IGN stream which was half a minute ahead of the actual TGA stream for whatever reason. I just heard the guy belt out "IT'S SEPHIROTH" before I even saw anything and I had a moment of confusion over whether or not he was just guessing or whatever before I actually saw that yes, it is indeed Sephiroth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm not gonna bother doing any lengthy writeups about Sephiroth. Instead I'll share my reactions to his trailer and presentation
Blegh, woke up early, wonder what got annou-

IMG_20191107_100919.png

JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE ** JUST HAPPENED WE GET MORE THAN 2 SONGS, THEY SHANKED AERITH AGAIN, KILLED MARIO AGAIN, ***ING DELIVERED WITH THHE ACTUAL CHARACTER AS SEPHY LOOKS COOL AS *, LIKELY INCLUDES BIRTH OF A GOD, AN UNDERRATED AS **** THEME AS IT'S THE ****ING CRATER, COMES OUT ON MY ****ING BIRTHDAY AND THERE'S A UNIQUE CHARACTER INTERACTION WITH CLOUD'S FINAL SMASH?!?!?!?

That being said his final smash probably isn't 2 minutes long 0/10
VENI VENI VENIAS NE ME MORI FACIAS

First of all, let's start out with the negatives. I don't have the DLC and have to wait for tomorrow when a friend sends me the code for the fighter pass as a birthday present.

NOW LET'S GET TO THAT GOOD *! Holy goddamn mother****ing * Sephiroth doesn't have a single move that doesn't look satisfying to land, Shadow Flare's such a *ing cool move, the Miis were the obvious ones but goddamn did they still look really cool! The Nothern Crater looks super nice and I'd lie if I said I wasn't a little emotional about how they got everything perfect with the Lifestream saving the planet and all. The songs? Dear lord, the music feels like an apology for the infamously criminal song list. Sure, Birth of a God is still absent but I can take it when everything else is this good even with remixes. Eat * 'Stingy Square' conspiracy theorists. The classic mode was mostly nice, though the real kicker for me is using Blade Dash to slide between Ganon's legs, as I felt it was wrong you couldn't dodge through them like in OoT. The bonus fight is also ****ing godlike and makes me anxious to try fighting him if my friend doesn't procrastinate lmao. And then there's the victory screens. Literal perfection. It eould be ****ing heresy to say that this is anything less than a 100% satisfaction rating from me. I still haven't gotten a character I outright wanted for the DLC but if we get more characters like this and Terry for the other 3 fighters left, the DLC would absolutely be worth it.
Easily the best character trailer, one of the best personalities in the game as Sephiroth feels like a sadistic anime villain and was a ****ing great birthday present.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
When I heard those first few notes I just remember getting very excited. Sephiroth wasn't even a character I thought about for more than 5 minutes when it comes to Smash, but much like Steve it's another instance where everything about the character is a 10/10, Especially that trailer GOOD GOD that Trailer, that is easily the best Smash trailer and knowing that Sakurai is a Advent Children Fanboy makes it that much better.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I will say if certain characters weren't in Smash I wish that the companies would straight deconfirm them, Master Chief for example being deconfirmed long ago would help me get excited for potentially getting sora since that's a rad pick.. Instead I have hope for something highly unlikely thanks to its lack of Japanese appeal.. I'll definitely be glad once speculation is over.

Shroob

Sup?
I will say if certain characters weren't in Smash I wish that the companies would straight deconfirm them, Master Chief for example being deconfirmed long ago would help me get excited for potentially getting sora since that's a rad pick.. Instead I have hope for something highly unlikely thanks to its lack of Japanese appeal.. I'll definitely be glad once speculation is over.
Some have outright said they're not in, but the issue is, even if they say that, they could be lying since, ya know, NDAs and all that.

Also, saying "No, we're not in the Pass" would only eliminate choices and narrow down who it could be.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Some have outright said they're not in, but the issue is, even if they say that, they could be lying since, ya know, NDAs and all that.

Also, saying "No, we're not in the Pass" would only eliminate choices and narrow down who it could be.
Idk it's usually easy to tell when they are genuinely honest about it, saying something like not this time but him getting in the next one would be great or something like that works wonders. I also don't think it narrows down jack since there are a ton of 1st party characters to worry about and you could just not answer the question or be like I don't know if it's actually happening.

I just hate how possible it is and yet how unlikely it is at the same time, my bet is something fell through and we were gonna get MCC on switch and game pass but somebody said no. Idk ripping the bandaid off early is so much better. It's just crazy how hard halo has fallen, maybe Microsoft doesn't even understand that is their mario lol. (How infinite has been handled is pretty telling)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Idk it's usually easy to tell when they are genuinely honest about it, saying something like not this time but him getting in the next one would be great or something like that works wonders. I also don't think it narrows down jack since there are a ton of 1st party characters to worry about and you could just not answer the question or be like I don't know if it's actually happening.
I don't think it's easy at all.

Remember Kirkhope? That was a huge blow to Banjo supporters until the leak.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Assuming your favourites are out is so easy imo but for some reason a lot of people have difficulty doing that, especially as one guy in particular can't tell the difference between "I don't think this character is likely" and "I hate this dog**** character they must never become playable and I will gladly laugh and mock anyone who dared to like the character"

ZelDan

Smash Master
Whenever I think Sephiroth, I'm always going to remember how I missed his reveal because I figured he wouldn't be revealed super early at TGA and went to quickly have some dinner since I was hungry AF, and then I came back and had my first time learning that Sephiroth was in Smash be from a GameFAQ's topic title.

He's a hype inclusion and all, but could have been more hype if I didn't **** up.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think too way too many people are on the hype train for Sora. No leak has been credible since Terry. I'd bet however than Sora is going to be added as a Mii Costume at this point

Shroob

Sup?
I think too way too many people are on the hype train for Sora. No leak has been credible since Terry. I'd bet however than Sora is going to be added as a Mii Costume at this point
Not entirely true. Both Min Min and Steve leaked from credible individuals.

However, we have yet to have a leak since Steve, and Steve only leaked like 30 minutes before the presentation.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
:ultsephiroth:The One-Winged Angel himself. With how little Final Fantasy got in terms of representation I admittedly thought any more characters from the franchise was just a pipe-dream. I couldn't actually see the reveal live, since I was in the car with family heading back from a trip to a beach walk we like to go on, but when I saw the reactions on social media, I was shocked. "WAITWAITWAIT... SEPHIROTH?!" When I saw the footage I was gobsmacked. IT WAS INDEED SEPHIROTH. I did not expect this at all, nor did I have Sephiroth high in my wishlist. Safe to say, Sephiroth being announced at TGA was the real highlight of the show. ...still somewhat salty about TLOU2 being 'crowned' Game of the Year, but I won't go into that.

Sephiroth is truly an amazing addition to the roster - one of the most iconic villains of gaming and he brought with him the amount of content that Final Fantasy was well in need of. Northern Cave as a stage is great too - simple but cinematic, and the Sephiroth Challenge was really a great way to get to introduce him properly. His gameplay is solid too, though Winged Form can feel like an afterthought at times. Also don't forget Supernova. Of course it's not the full terrifying 3-minute version (Even though I never fought Sephiroth as a kid, just seeing Supernova in action still gives nightmares), the Smash version of it just feels so badass and satisfying to use and blow up the world in the process.

Easily the highlight of Fighter Pass 2 if you ask me. Only thing that could equal it would be if we got Phoenix Wright, Doomguy or Kiryu as the final fighter.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I actually agree with the people who are like "Why go to all the trouble of negotiating with Disney if they only thing you're going to get out of it is a costume?"

If he's not gonna be a fighter, I don't see why Nintendo would go through that hassle.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I actually agree with the people who are like "Why go to all the trouble of negotiating with Disney if they only thing you're going to get out of it is a costume."

If he's not gonna be a fighter, I don't see why Nintendo would go through that hassle.
Never mind Nintendo, Disney would be the ones calling the shots when it comes to what's in and what's out, and knowing how they like top billing, not even an Assist Trophy would cut it.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
It happens every time a reveal is on the horizon. Sora is one of the main potential fighters that gets a enormous amount of hype behind him. The supposed leak only added fuel to the fire.

Sora is my most wanted character, and Tuesday is all or nothing for him making it into Ultimate. Do I believe the leaks? Absolutely not, but I am hopeful yet cautious going into the reveal. It’s most likely going to be a Pokémon, or someone out of left field that no one saw coming.

Either way. People are going to be disappointed.

Just a few things to point out, Disney is all about the spotlight and making coin, if Sora isn’t the star of the presentation, they wouldn’t bother, nor do I think Nintendo would go through the hassle of making him just a Mii Costume. Also, if Sora was always planned to be a Mii Costume, he most likely would’ve been revealed as such within the Sephiroth’s reveal.

I want Sora. I don’t think we’ll get Sora. I hope I’m wrong, but we will all know soon enough.

Edit: Not saying it’s impossible for him to be a Mii Costume, but a very slim chance. I believe either Sora is FP11 or he isn’t in at all, in any context. And honestly, I would rather not have him at all, rather than a Mii Costume.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I kinda feel jealous I'm not as invested in a MW as some of these Sora fans. Hmm maybe jealous isn't the right word....

Relieved. Yep that's the one.
Why is that, i'm confused.
Most of them don't even care about smash speculation like most of the smash fanbase, they just want Sora because it's Sora

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 332494
Is it true that people don't want another Pokemon rep?
I think it’s a vocal minority. The whole “This franchise has enough/too many reps already!” card gets played. However, it’s Pokémon…the largest multimedia franchise on the planet…it’s profitable…the majority of the global market of the Smash community will be happy with the choice because Pokémon is such a beloved franchise. Even the ones disappointed in the choice will still buy the character.

Can’t make everyone happy. Especially in Smash. Otherwise we’d have a roster of like, 150+ characters. 😂😂😂

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Is it true that people don't want another Pokemon rep?
I know I don't. And I don't see many others excited by the prospect.

I think it’s a vocal minority. The whole “This franchise has enough/too many reps already!” card gets played.
For me it's more "We already got a Pokemon in Ultimate."

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Why is that, i'm confused.
Most of them don't even care about smash speculation like most of the smash fanbase, they just want Sora because it's Sora
It's like.... I guess it's just that I have never felt the same passion that some fans of Geno or Sora or well anyone really, feel. The thrill for me is in the theories and leak debunking.... You could even say I'm a Johnny come lately when it comes to speculation because I honestly never gave it much thought until one day it just hit me... This is the last character in ultimate. So I suppose because of that realization I decided to get into speculating and now I'm hooked. But then I compare this to other speculators who believe their MW is a lock or will argue incessantly regardless of the proof otherwise and I'm just like heh better them than me. To be so blindly devoted can't be healthy.... And when it's over in a few days and all these folks get disappointed I want to pity them but I also selfishly give thanks I'm not one of them. Kinda rambling response I'll admit but it's late and I'm past sleepy.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
I know I don't. And I don't see many others excited by the prospect.

For me it's more "We already got a Pokemon in Ultimate."
Yeah, but that Pokémon was from Sun and Moon/Gen 7. Sword and Shield; The first ever main series Pokémon game to be on a home console, and sold pretty well, despite it’s criticisms, I feel, warrants a potential rep.

I LOVE Pokémon. It’s my favorite thing in existence, but even I would be disappointed in another Pokémon being FP11. So I get where you are coming from. Especially another fully evolved Fire Starter.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I have to wonder.

If we had gotten Pokemon already in the DLC alongside Byleth, Min Min and Pythra, what 1st party character would be the 'boogeyman'? Like, I'm wracking my brain. Assuming that the Spirit events had been the same, once you remove Pokemon from the equation, there's not really a clear front runner.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I have to wonder.

If we had gotten Pokemon already in the DLC alongside Byleth, Min Min and Pythra, what 1st party character would be the 'boogeyman'? Like, I'm wracking my brain. Assuming that the Spirit events had been the same, once you remove Pokemon from the equation, there's not really a clear front runner.
Knowing our lack of creativity, probably yet another Pokemon.

Stepheon

Smash Apprentice
I have to wonder.

Maybe Dixie or Bandana Waddle Dee. Both which have been requested for years. Honestly surprised Dixie isn’t in yet, and even more surprised Paper Mario isn’t.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated the poll. Given the number of choices, it seems fair to allow multiple votes this time.
Granted it says favorite Miis costumes, but you're welcome to take it as most heartbreaking, unexpected, cool, etc. Be as salty as you want. :shaker:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I have to wonder.

I imagine "9th Fire Emblem, please laugh" crowd would get more traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom