• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
So...we are talking about Sora again, after NateDrake said he isn't happening and how the 4chan leak is completely fake and implies Sakurai would wait until July to get presentation music for a character chosen in 2019 and most likely already finished in that month.

This reminds me of when this thread said Rayman got information killing his chances, then three months later was talking about him getting in without saying that evidence was faked.
It's almost like talking about something is better than talking about nothing.

If it wasn't blatantly obvious, very few, if any, people actually believe the leak, but there's zero harm in discussing it. It's quite literally what this thread is for.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't think that's how it works lol.
Leaks always use a trending hot topic just to become relavent for a time with views and attention. More likely then not, it is a guess then truth as the internet isn't 100% clear.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Leaks always use a trending hot topic just to become relavent for a time with views and attention. More likely then not, it is a guess then truth as the internet isn't 100% clear.
It is 99% guesses but that doesn't mean whoever is being talked about is basically guaranteed to not be the next fighter.

It's likely that they aren't, but only because there are so many possibilities, not because the results run contrary to speculation by will of the universe or something.

SKX31

Smash Master
I never played it so 🤷‍♂️

This list is crazy

The best selling mobile game that sold less than Minecraft is Animal Crossing Pocket Camp LOL and that's number 67 on the list 0_o

AoV… aka the game whose level designs are eerily similar to LoL

and tries to use DC characters as a selling point

I didn’t like it very much

also I’m surprised Genshin Impact isn’t up there as one of the biggest mobile earners
Okay, I'mma talk about Arena of Valor (Honor of Kings in its native China). Not just because "How the **** did a game unknown in the West earn $11 billion?" but also since it got some international recognition when one of its characters joined SamSho PS4. And yes, I know this game is not going to be in Smash ever because of that total obscurity in the West / Japan. But I'm doing this anyway.

First of all, yes: both AoV and HoK have DC characters in them as a selling point. The SNK characters are HoK-exclusive. I have no clue where most of AoV's characters come from, but most of HoK's characters are from Chinese history / literature / mythology (at least one got Rule 63'd and turned into fanservice on par with Mai. Oh and Marco Polo got turned full Steampunk with an Edgier Joker alternate costume).

HoK in particular is a social vehicle in China comparable with Fortnite's position in the West. As a lawyer noted in 2017:

Bruno Zhao, a Shanghai lawyer in his 30s who is a veteran gamer, said the game is more a copy of League of Legends, Tencent’s other big grossing product, and is not a breakthrough in terms of content or technology, but he likes it because it connects him to those around.

“Half of my former high school’s male classmates play it. We call each other to form a team on WeChat to play the game side by side,” he said.

Zhao said whenever he is idle, he would take out his mobile to play a set game that lasts for about 20 minutes as a manner of relaxation.
Honor of Kings did manage a 100 million daily active users earlier this year, becoming the first game to do so. It's also really popular amongst Chinese women for the same social reasons as the lawyer noted. So it microtransactioning its way into $11 billion - via skins and a general LoL-esque model - is not surprising.

That kind of thing is a main reason why mobile games rake in so much money globally: most mobile games are intentionally designed to be pick-up-and-played in short bursts like Nintendo's handhelds, and from there they can put in the microtransactions. Quality does kinda help (there are probably thousands of now-dead low-quality mobile games), but it's evidently not going to be the be-all-end-all (sadly) since the F2P model encourages a lot of mobile studios to maximize revenue and minimize dev costs in a lot of cases. The stores don't help since the popular mobile games get an extra large spotlight... which results in games like PoGo getting 1 billion downloads while Granblue "only" has 24 million downloads..

And yeah, the hardcore there generally dislikes F2P / microtransactions, as the initial reaction to Pokemon Unite last year showed.

Some mockingly referred to the game as “Honour of Pokémon,” ridiculing the game for looking too much like Honour of Kings. And many worried that the game will turn out to be another free-to-play game that nickel-and-dimes players with microtransactions to unlock certain elements. It’s a common monetization strategy for mobile games in China.
(Also, GI is #26 currently, I wouldn't be surprised if it jumped upwards by year's end considering how much dough it gets.)

Any and all posts that claim to be leaks (including the Sora one) are made by attention seekers and should be equally disregarded to not give any of them the satisfaction.
Pretty much, although that raises a very interesting question:

Assuming that someone at Nintendo or a third party royally screws the pooch (Yes, I know, really really unlikely, but going with this scenario) in the last few days and say leaves a brave-esque code name in a very-intriguing but not obvious-spot (lets say Nintendo's news & events page)... how quickly would that be discovered, and how big of a chance would there be that it'd be considered real or fake?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Time for the LoLpost's second part (first one here). This means two more Champions from that "top 15", and tonight we have some memes to cover.

As always, I recommend searchig for the Champion's pics and ability gifs yourself, because I'd rather not clog the thread by putting like 15 images in this one post. Quick reminder that every Champion has a Passive and 4 Active Abilities (one of these being their Ultimate). When I feel it's necessary, I'll give examples of how I think they'd look in Smash.

So let's get into this:

Aaaah, Draven. The man, the meme, the axe-throwing killing machine.

If you have no idea why he's a meme, let me sum it up for you: Draven is a Marksman who deals a lot of damage when played right. Said damage is only offset by the size of his ego. Dude's passive is called League of Draven (with his face being its icon), and he has a skin that's just him with a big head. You can almost say he's League's equivalent of a heel, in a way. This is also reflected in his playstyle - you'll soon see how.

Lore-wise, Draven is a fighter in Noxus - one of the nations of Runeterra. As his title implies, he revels in the attention of the crowds at the fighting pits. So much so, it could be said he's addicted to it. And that's... pretty much why he fights. There's more stuff, like how he was a soldier in the Noxian army for a time, along with his brother Darius. But it doesn't get much more complicated than that.

Draven's Passive is, as said before, League of Draven. So here's the thing: in spite of being a Marksman, Draven doesn't fight using guns or bows. Rather, he uses throwing axes. These axes have a boomerang effect (I'll go into that detail later), and whenever Draven catches one, kills any non-Champion enemy or destroys a Turret, he gains a stack of Adoration.

Additionally, killing any Minions (the troops that walk along each lane), destroying a Ward (items used for granting Vision, like I mentioned in the previous post) or Traps will give him a stack of Strike for the next 10 seconds, which accumulate up to 6. Dropping an axe or allowing an enemy Minion to die without killing it makes you lose all Strike stacks. At 6 stacks, Draven consumes Strike and gains 2 Adoration.

Finally, when Draven kills an enemy Champion, he consumes all Adoration stacks and gains bonus Gold for the kill (which is then used to buy items).

So... yeah, right off the bat, this is something that would need a lot of creative liberties taken. For starters, Gold doesn't exist in Smash, neither do most other elements that would prock this passive. Instead, I'd think Adoration would go up every time Draven took a stock or caught his axes, and it would grant him some sort of buff, with stacks progressively going down with time or if you fail to catch the axes, and disappearing altogether if he lost a stock. Draven is kind of a momentum-based fighter in League, so I think that feeling should be translated into Smash.

Draven's Active Abilities are Spinning Axe, Blood Rush, Stand Aside and finally Whirling Death.

Spinning Axe does exactly what's on the name: Draven spins his axe, and the next basic attack causes bonus damage. This has another effect, however: every time the axes hit an enemy, they'll bounce off and a marker appears where the axe will land. Draven then needs to move to that location to catch the axe as it falls. The location is determined by his current movement. If Draven catches the axe, the effect is reapplied to his next basic attack.

This is Draven's main bread and butter, with his entire playstyle revolving around it. Here's the thing, though: that marker I mentioned? The one that appears where the axe will land? The opponent can see it too. I assume a similar thing would be put in place here, with the axes making Draven's normals stronger and giving them range, but if you're not smart, you can get read really easily.

...Which is where Blood Rush comes from. It's a utility move that gives Draven more attack and movement speed for a few seconds. This is what Dravens use to weave around and catch their spinning axes. Especially because catching an axe actually resets BR's cooldown in League. In Smash i'd assume there would be no such thing, but the movement buff would still be a pretty big deal.

Not only that, Draven has a way to get enemies out of his way with Stand Aside. Draven hurls two axes in a straight line in the target direction, which knocks enemies back and stuns them. For Smash, I'm assuming only the knockback part would apply because of the way physics work as opposed to a top-down MOBA, but still.

And lastly, the big one: Whirling Death makes Draven hurl two axes along the ground in a somewhat long range. They grant Sight of that area and execute Champions with health below the current amount of League of Draven stacks. But here's the interesting part for a fighting game: it can actually be recast after a few seconds, or alternatively will recast automatically when the axes hit an enemy Champion or the edge of the map (probably walls in Smash).

What happens during the recast? Well, the axes slowly come to a stop, before coming back around, dealing the same amount of damage as the first cast. So basically, if this was a normal special, expect it to be kinda obnoxious. If it's part of a Final Smash, it would kinda be like Joker's, where you get two chances of hitting the target.

So that's Draven. As you can see, a lot of his playstyle is built around keeping his momentum going and his axes spinning. Perhaps a bit simplistic compared to other choices, and I have no doubt he has the potential to be obnoxious if he was chosen to be in Smash as our LoL rep... but that's exactly why he's popular. He's Draven. And he doesn't need anything else.

Ekko is an interesting character to put here, because while I know he's popular and he gets exposure in Worlds (he's even got a skin based on SKT T1 after one particular Worlds performance by them), will get his own spinoff in the coming years and is part of League's music video universe via True Damage, he's also one I have no idea when it comes to implementation. You'll see why soon.

Lore-wise, Ekko is a young inventor from Zaun, which - okay, I guess I have to explain this one a bit. There's a magitechnological city called Piltover, which is kind of a steampunk-but-magic setting. Below that city, among toxic fumes and cliffs, is Zaun. Ekko grew up in Zaun with his parents, both factory workers. Tinkering with machines from a young age, he eventually makes the Z-Drive - an invention that allows him to go back in time, though not indefinitely. Ekko uses the Z-Drive to protect his friends from harm.

Admittedly, I don't play him as much, but I'll try to give the best summary I can. Ekko is part of the Assassin class at his core, meaning his strategy centers around poking enemies in lane, then waiting for a good opportunity to home in for the kill. This makes him mostly a burst assassin with high mobility.

Ekko's passive is Z-Drive Resonance. All of his basic attacks and active abilities apply a stack of Resonance to the enemy for a few seconds, up to a maximum of 3, at which point the stacks are consumed to deal bonus damage. This cannot affect the same target more than once every few seconds. Additionally, procking this effect against a Champion grants Ekko bonus movement speed for a few seconds, scaling with his level.

For his active abilities, Ekko has Timewinder, Parallel Convergence, Phase Dive and his Ultimate, Chronobreak.

Timewinder makes Ekko throw a time grenade in a certain direction. It deals damage in its path, and upon reaching a certain distance or hitting an enemy Champion, it detonates. Rather than a simple explosion, however, this creates a field that slows down enemies inside, while continuing to move and expand in the target direction for a bit.

...And then after all of that, the grenade contracts again and comes back to Ekko, again dealing damage along its path. Yeah, the only way I see this being viable is if it deals no hitstun and knockback at all. We're essentially talking about a small-but-moving zone that applies the Stopwatch effect to you. If you couldn't guess, this is Ekko's main tool for poking and harassing enemies in lane due to its slowing effects.

Parallel Convergence has both a passive and active effect. The passive dictates that Ekko's basic attacks deal a percentage of the target's missing health (how much health they've lost in LoL's healthbar) to targets below 30% health. This effect seems way too convoluted to put in a fighting game, but if you really wanted to keep it, I guess he could deal a little bit more damage to characters above 70%.

For the active effect, Ekko summons an afterimage, which in turn bats a device in an arc to a targeted area. This grants Sight of the area and after a few seconds - you guessed it - detonates and slows anyone inside the zone. There's a bit of a twist, though: if Ekko himself enters the affected area, it detonates, granting him a shield and stunning anyone else inside instead of slowing. Sight would be useless, as mentioned before, and the shield would probably have to go because it seems way too overtuned for Smash.

Even then, though... coupled with Timewinder, I think it would just make Ekko annoying as **** to fight. Sure, he's not strong, but without the cooldowns and Mana costs that he has in League, I don't think anyone is too keen to being stunned or slowed over and over again from multiple different moves. There would have to be some kind of restriction, like the aforementioned Mana gauge.

Phase Dive... might actually be relatively simple, as far as adapting is concerned. Ekko dashes in a target direction, empowering his next attack to deal bonus damage, have more range and allowing him to blink (short-range teleport) straight to a target enemy, if he's close enough.

I could see this being a recovery. Maybe you can mix it up either as a longer-ranged dash quickly followed by an attack (hitbox, but no invulnerability) or a short-range teleport (no hitbox, but invulnerable).

Finally, the Ultimate. Thought the time bull**** was over? Nah, here comes Chronobreak. It's divided in two parts, like Parallel Convergence. Upon learning it in League, or if its cooldown is lower than 4 seconds, an afterimage of Ekko appears on the field, tracking where he was 4 seconds ago.

When activated, Ekko briefly enters stasis (basically, unable to do anything, but also invulnerable to attacks and knockback), then heals himself (scaling depending on any health he lost in the past 4 seconds) and dashes to his afterimage's location. On arrival, the stasis ends and an explosion is generated around Ekko, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

I'll be blunt: there's no way in hell this move would make it without some major alterations - unless it was incorporated in a Final Smash, because anything goes with those. First off, there's the whole issue with the afterimage following Ekko. Sure, there's no hitboxes involved, so it's less like Ice Climbers and more like Pokémon Trainer, but it still directly affects where you're teleporting to. I don't think I need to tell anyone about the amount of jank that something like this can create in a platform game, much less a platform fighter. Especially if you're playing with Hazards On in a traveling stage.

Then there's the heal. It would have to be majorly changed - it makes sense in League, because in a teamfigh or gank, there's a good chance someone will die quickly. In Smash, though? Taking someone from low percent to high to KO isn't always an easy task. And unless there was some sort of Mana system or an actual cooldown, that's essentially a free heal that becomes more powerful the more damage you just took.

The best I could come up with is that maybe Chronobreak (assuming it was a regular special and not a FS) would go on cooldown for a few seconds and would be substituted by something else in the meantime. Otherwise I have no idea how it could be done. But hey, If Sakurai could get past all of that and somehow make all these slows to work too, Ekko could make for a pretty dope pick. Maybe his spinoff Conv/rgence, will give me more ideas on how to adapt his kit. It will be an action platformer, after all.

That's it for tonight, people. I was going to do a third one today - a certain explorer - but I'm tired as **** from work.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yea like the Sora leak, which was confirmed fake days ago from the leaker himself
There was a problem fetching the tweet
The leaker may not really know who the final character is, but in July when he made that post he knew a release date for a game that wouldn't get announced until September, so that's something.

Or he's just taking credit for a leak he didn't make. But who would do that?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
It is 99% guesses but that doesn't mean whoever is being talked about is basically guaranteed to not be the next fighter.

It's likely that they aren't, but only because there are so many possibilities, not because the results run contrary to speculation by will of the universe or something.

Universe Man Liked This Post

Shroob

Sup?
The leaker may not really know who the final character is, but in July when he made that post he knew a release date for a game that wouldn't get announced until September, so that's something.

Or he's just taking credit for a leak he didn't make. But who would do that?
Yeah, that's a bit of a contradiction.

"Why'd you pick October 5th?"

"Because lol Nick"

"But that wasn't known until September, this post was in July."

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Yeah, that's a bit of a contradiction.

"Why'd you pick October 5th?"

"Because lol Nick"

"But that wasn't known until September, this post was in July."
wasn’t the date literally leaked though. Not saying they’re telling the truth but wasn’t the date leaked back then or Am I miss remember things

Trevenant

Smash Lord
But you phrased it as if it actively makes them less likely. If anything, a better argument can be made that the more leaks for a character exist, the more likely it is that one of them are real. Of course they could all be done by a single person in this scenario, in which case, we likely wouldn't know so they'd at the very least not have any overall impact on their chances one way or the other, but if they had to, they'd arguably go in favor if they are still in contention.

And this is why I hate leaks. You can't debunk them, so when people start posting them here, they are viewed as likely to come to fruition when they are probably BS. Remember that Sora thing from last year where Imran Kahn supposedly deconfirmed him? That started here on Smashboards, and as soon as people started getting triggered about it cos they didn't like what it was implying and were trying to debunk it, that's when they started sharing it and it got so widespread on Twitter, by big named YouTubers, actual gaming publications etc etc. The more people spread stuff, the more it goes viral, and that especially goes to those who are making desperate attempts to debunk it. If a screenshot of Tony the Tiger on the CSS leaked, and we all started sarcastically saying its real, if it went viral, others would likely be doing the same thing. Exact same thing goes for people who are trying to debunk stuff like the sora stuff from last year, as people were viewing it seriously and therefore started to say why it absolutely wasn't legit, it went viral, and others started taking it seriously in every sense imaginable, not only as a leak, but also thinking it's a completely legit leak at that.

The moment people share a leak here, you then have people acting as if it's anywhere close to true because it can't technically be debunked. That's why it probably would have been better for you to say just "Don't take leaks seriously" or something. I've probably helped perpetuate this problem by going in depths to why more leaks could technically make a certain character more likely, if we somehow had the ability to distinguish whether they were wrote by different people, but.. eh, hopefully the same people will read this part too. It really can't be understated that it's just way better to take things like leaks or absurd ideas etc as jokes instead of taking them seriously, then that would mean people don't start spreading them, which would then mean you won't have people taking them seriously etc. This is also why I think the people that hate on people viewing leaks seriously are worst than the people actually doing it. Like, if you really don't like people reading leaks, responding to it in a serious manner is ultimately just gonna cause it to spread even more so just ignore it and then there is a higher chance of curbing that sort of leak stuff. Just assume they're fake and they're a troll, and don't give them the ToD, instead of perpetuating these arbitrary theories and leaks and such. May have went a bit over board there, but it's definitely something worth sharing IMO as not enough people realize it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Or, just MAYBE.
It's going to be crazy guys.
Like hear me out

Y'all aint going to believe me.

Get ready.

It's going to impress you.

Sora is trending all days recently, because the last fighter is near, and TONS of people want him not caring if he's linked to MUH MICKEY MOUSE or SMASH SPECULATION WALL STREET EDITION RATE THEIR CHANCE or because of a 4chan leak.

But just because they like him, and he's surprisingly in a very famous and Beloved serie no matter what your opinion on it might be.

Been the same for all directs for the past 2/3 years every direct.
It started in Smash 4 Era.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well at least there's no way that the Sora leak making the rounds with the Youtubers and their wider but less engaged audience raises expectations going in to the final reveal and then blows up in peoples' faces. :rolleyes:

The more dedicated hovels such as this know to take 4chan leaks with a heaping side of skepticism, so we should mostly remain intact from that leak not panning out (the reaction to who we do get may be a different matter), but not everywhere is as seasoned with this nonsense, so... all the talk of Sora, Chief, Crash, Waluigi, etc. leading up to the last character... well... it'll make things... interesting. For lack of a better, angrier word.

But I guess it wouldn't be the Smash fanbase if it didn't, lol.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The game had only just been shown off for the first time in July.
The 5th has been known as the date since at least the day before the post.

Leak's fake and I think this dude is claiming credit for a leak he didn't make (It's happened plenty before), but this isn't evidence against it.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Lemme just say this before the end comes: I'd rather not think about whether people will get angry at the last character or not. Legitimately speaking, I don't see what's so fun about expecting or wanting such thing.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, The guy claiming to have made the leak even said himself that the Actual OG Post that predated the July Disney Music Post by 5 hours WAS NOT made by him, and that the Septemeber Post was NOT made by him

So even if he is telling the truth, there is some shady stuff going on

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Frankly speaking, I don't see any point in getting worked up over people discussing leaks. Nobody here is acting like the Sora post is completely true, and no one is being toxic about it. So what's the need to shut a discussion down if it's not affecting anyone negatively?
Oh, of course. In my post, I was talking about the people that end up just listing a bunch of reasons as to why it is absolutely fake cos it affects a character they want or what have you, when in reality all they are doing is just causing it to get spread to a wider audience. That is what happened last year with the Imran Kahn quote about Sora, and why there are literally tons of people who still seem to think that Sora was still meant to be in the game but vetoed by Disney Japan, when it was literally a quote taken out of context. If someone views others taking it seriously and listing the most arbitrary reasons on earth as to why Sora is absolutely not affected by this or rather the contrary, then they're very likely gonna ignore the original video where it was discussed and just take it as a fan having a kneejerk reaction on their most wanted being "deconfirmed" and therefore act as if Sora was ever negotiated for in any capacity, when in reality we don't know. I'm not saying it happens here, but more so in general and it just causes misinfo to be spread way too frequently. The sora example is the only one I remember atm, in that I'm pretty sure it started in a thread, then I saw it blow up Twitter, then the big time Youtubers who caught on started calling out the clickbait articles, which did nothing but the complete opposite of what they had intended, which was spread the rumour even more. That's why people taking leaks seriously in any capacity is usually just detrimental and just leads to stuff like Meowth in smash 64 etc.

Discussion is absolutely not something I'd dare argue against, more so just perpetuating the idea that they technically can't be debunked, which stems into people taking them seriously and trying to disprove them which ultimately has the complete opposite effect, which is spreading them to a larger amount of people who then start taking them seriously and then believing them, causing the leak to be seen as the complete opposite of fake, to the same group who they'd implicitly like to not take the leak seriously. It's a vicious circle which I don't think will ever gonna stop unfortunately.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I'm not revelling in it, I'm just bracing for it.
And I just don't find any purpose for it. There's no desire for me to look into people disliking a character, especially when nobody knows which is going to be revealed, if they'll have valid points to disliking them or if they won't. There's simply no point in looking into that stuff when I can instead think about the character itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom