• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What has always had me laughing is the geno thread was so defensive about Sora being in smash despite the fact they always reminded everyone that KH belonged to Disney. So if Kingdom Hearts belong to Disney why was the geno fandom, the character from a Square Enix game so defensive about Sora, a character from a Disney game?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I do like the appeal of Geno getting in to round out the long Smash tradition of ******** about Geno and to stop caring about what exactly this hellsite was speculating in what’s apparently the holy speculation year 2006.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I just think Geno's main problem is that he's not a major character in his own franchise.

Aside from the token WTF plant, every other character in the game is a major part of their own franchise even if the franchise itself is obscure.

Its entirely possible to be a huge Mario fan and not even know who Geno is. I think that's his biggest weakness.
TBF Plant probably is the most iconic Mario enemy alongside Goomba. And Mario was very much that series that kickstarted the way mooks are implemented in games today, especially in 2D platformers so one could argue that on that basis alone Plant has merit. Of course he is that token surprise pick, but due to its own inherent iconicness (so to speak) combined with the fact that people just never considered them despite how iconic they were, least of all Piranha Plant, then it happened to work out quite nicely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To clarify, bear in mind that we had just come off of Melee where how creative a character's moveset could be was still well within "extremely tame". Few people were being unrealistically imaginative about his potential. "Never-evers" aren't clones, they're characters that people have posted about entirely too much and have at least 80 fan created movesets that would still fit within a very stiff game like Melee.
Never-evers are characters people think won't ever happen. It's literally in the name. They've also been called "no-hopers".

And it doesn't adhere with highly popular characters. Because clearly a lot of people are behind their inclusion, because you're not going to get popular if people think you can't happen.

There are always going to be people who think x will be too similar to y. Literally a day or two ago we were talking about how Crash wouldn't be too similar to Banjo. That doesn't preclude them being highly popular. Crash is. But if they are highly popular, that does preclude them from being considered a no-hoper. At least by a sizeable chunk of the fanbase.

The "never-evers" are the characters we're not talking about, because no one, or almost no one, believes in them.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Brawl speculation is this generation's Woodstock.
Yeah, like I love that Geno still resonates in a positive manner but basing all of your merits on the idea that “you were there when it mattered” only breeds entitlement and bitterness if times change. So, yes, from what I know about the Brawl era and Woodstock, it seems a pretty apt comparison

D

Deleted member

Never-evers are characters people think won't ever happen. It's literally in the name. They've also been called "no-hopers".

And it doesn't adhere with highly popular characters. Because clearly a lot of people are behind their inclusion, because you're not going to get popular if people think you can't happen.

There are always going to be people who think x will be too similar to y. Literally a day or two ago we were talking about how Crash wouldn't be too similar to Banjo. That doesn't preclude them being highly popular. Crash is. But if they are highly popular, that does preclude them from being considered a no-hoper. At least by a sizeable chunk of the fanbase.

The "never-evers" are the characters we're not talking about, because no one, or almost no one, believes in them.
I'm explaining to you what the term means the way that it's being used, so I feel like you're being a little bit disingenuous to start saying "well literally it would mean characters that cannot make it in".

You have to be highly popular to be a never ever. It is a taunt. It is a term used to rile someone up and make them mad.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
What has always had me laughing is the geno thread was so defensive about Sora being in smash despite the fact they always reminded everyone that KH belonged to Disney. So if Kingdom Hearts belong to Disney why was the geno fandom, the character from a Square Enix game so defensive about Sora, a character from a Disney game?
This isn’t exclusive to Geno fans. I distinctly remember Sora fans taking the same attitude when they were wringing their hands over the Erdrick rumors. Everyone was treating Sora as “a square character but also not” when it was convenient.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I need to turn your attention to how I said it wasn't a term of endearment. It's a ****post about how [hyped up character] isn't going to make it in for [reasons]. We happen to live in a timeline where the hyped up characters who weren't going to make it in did, and now "never-ever" has become something else. There's probably nuance that you're not picking up on here, like, this is "cultural" stuff from a board known for being an outright ****hole, and I don't really blame you for not understanding it fully if you just don't get it. It's all just been about being taunted for several years straight and this one group of dogs have just been waiting for their day and we're going to remain on that triforce of never evers, I guess with Isaac and ****in'... Krystal?
If the requisite is just a ****post about how [hyped up character] isn't going to make it for [reasons], literally every character who has been popular at one point or another is a "never-ever", not just those three. Not by a long shot.

Plus your argument before was literally that Mega Man was excluded from the label for a [reason] about how a [hyped up character] isn't going to make it. There were tons of ****posts about Mega Man being a Samus clone.

This is selective vision at its finest.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've advocated for characters with larger fan bases and those with smaller fan bases. If I had to pick which is more enjoyable I'd say the smaller one. You aren't so wildly popular that you draw the ire of randoms, and you also aren't so widely popular your own fanbase goes "oh woah is me everyone is so mean to us" and you can just chill, knowing it probably won't happen, but if it did it'd be amazing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Odds are the final character won't be ending things off with a bang as the most hype characters typically come in the first half (Hero and Banjo after Joker set the stage and Steve and Sephiroth after Min Min) but there is the off chance that this character is the final one as the negotiations were later in the process in the same way that Steve was in negotiation for five years.

I'm not banking on it but it's a possibility.

Looking at things as objectively as I can, here are all the characters I would put money on in order of least wanted to most

LoL character
Cinderace
Ryu Hyabusa
Phoenix Wright
Second Sonic character
and
Dixie Kong
Supposedly, according to some people in the know, all that's known for sure is that the Fighters Pass 2 characters' reveal orders are all over the place due to outside circumstances of last year having messed up the initial plans for them (e.g. Steve and Kazuya at E3). Odds are the last character originally would have tied into an event or game release that occurred in Spring.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back in my anti-leak bunker. :emptysheep:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If the requisite is just a ****post about how [hyped up character] isn't going to make it for [reasons], literally every character who has been popular at one point or another is a "never-ever", not just those three. Not by a long shot.

Plus your argument before was literally that Mega Man was excluded from the label for a [reason] about how a [hyped up character] isn't going to make it. There were tons of ****posts about Mega Man being a Samus clone.

This is selective vision at its finest.
It is a ****post at its core and the more you try to make sense out of it, the less sense it's going to make.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, like I love that Geno still resonates in a positive manner but basing all of your merits on the idea that “you were there when it mattered” only breeds entitlement and bitterness if times change. So, yes, from what I know about the Brawl era and Woodstock, it seems a pretty apt comparison
I guess this means I can't use my standard response to when people doubt the extreme nature of the Console Wars back in the day.

"You weren't there man, you weren't there."

D

Deleted member

Supposedly, according to some people in the know, all that's known for sure is that the Fighters Pass 2 characters' reveal orders are all over the place due to outside circumstances of last year having messed up the initial plans for them (e.g. Steve and Kazuya at E3). Odds are the last character originally would have tied into an event or game release that occurred in Spring.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back in my anti-leak bunker. :emptysheep:
I would take any claims of release order being incorrect with the finest, most powdery grain of salt you can manage.

I'll take that to mean you're out of counterpoints.
Yeah go ahead and pin it up on your fridge that today you out-counterpointed Serenade on Smashboards dot com. My point was that Banjo wasn't on the original triforce of never evers and I concede that the triforce of never evers is a shapeshifter.

kylexv

Smash Master
Day 8: Steve :ultsteve:

On September 30th, 2020, we got the announcement of the next Smash character announcement. Many speculated over who it could be (with myself thinking it would be the "inevitable" Gen 8 Pokemon), but I feel that few arrived at the conclusion that this character would be the one revealed. The moment I saw those Enderman eyes in the background, I had a strange mix of shock, feelings of absurdity, and hype knowing which character was going to appear fifteen seconds later...

To say that Steve is a big addition is an understatement. This was one of the biggest, most well-known characters you could add, as Steve comes from the highest-selling game of all time (excluding mobile games). I often call Minecraft the most versatile game in existence, so of course, it would attract the attention of the huge audience it did over the years. As one of the many millions of human beings on this planet who have played Minecraft, this character was probably the most deserving third-party rep out there. With Banjo being in the first Fighter’s Pass, I didn’t think Steve would happen, seeing as that meant we would get two Microsoft characters. Of course, it did, and it made the Banjo vs. Steve wars seem silly in retrospect.

I also love how faithful Steve is to his home game. During the Sakurai presents, Steve would be shown having a wacky moveset that involved building blocks, upgrading tools, and making use of some of the other items in Minecraft. In a way, his moveset offers the same kind of creativity that his home game offers, allowing for very clever use of building and managing resources. Now, because of the complexity of Steve's moveset, I can't really play him that well, but damn am I glad he got added to the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah go ahead and pin it up on your fridge that today you out-counterpointed Serenade on Smashboards dot com. My point was that Banjo wasn't on the original triforce of never evers and I concede that the triforce of never evers is a shapeshifter.
Well, putting aside how amorphous and apocryphal the "triforce" really is, if K. Rool was on the original "triforce" of never-evers, it probably wasn't the original, since that character only began really gaining ground in the tail end of Brawl spec, after Diddy had been included.

And that would mean several years of pre-Brawl spec had lapsed at that point.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Dread it, Run from it, Destiny still arrives. In 4 days (soon 3), it will be finale.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ha. So let's see if I get this straight....

Steve day gets Geno discussion dusted off
Min min had.... Doomguy?
Byleth made everyone horny

This thread is so schizophrenic.

gives you all Abilify
I've said all I can about blockboy and noodlehead, but there's always more to say about Geno. :troll:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You can want a character without thinking they have a shot. Just don't get invested in the idea, haha.

For example, while I'm not sure I'd call Madotsuki a never-ever, I know her chances are very low at best. Even something like a Yume Nikki spirit event is a tad far-fetched. And so I'm not really actively hoping for her.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Something that might have slipped through the cracks in all of this, with Bluetooth Audio support being added to Switch, Smash Bros and it's DLC will collectively be the best gaming music album of the ages.

Wonder how many songs will be in the final batch and if there'll be one more indie bringing their pipes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, putting aside how amorphous and apocryphal the "triforce" really is, if K. Rool was on the original "triforce" of never-evers, it probably wasn't the original, since that character only began really gaining ground in the tail end of Brawl spec, after Diddy had been included.

And that would mean several years of pre-Brawl spec had lapsed at that point.
So who do you want to replace Rool with? Was it Ridley, Mega Man and Geno? Because I can admit all sorts of things about the nebulous nature of the "triforce" but I'm not backing down from my stance that Geno was a part of the inception of this meme.

Steve day gets Geno discussion dusted off
Sometimes I feel like everywhere I go, a fight breaks out about Geno. Inexplicable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So who do you want to replace Rool with? Was it Ridley, Mega Man and Geno? Because I can admit all sorts of things about the nebulous nature of the "triforce" but I'm not backing down from my stance that Geno was a part of the inception of this meme.
Idk, it probably started around Melee, so... Wario, Dedede, Diddy?

It doesn't really matter, because at its most legitimate it's only ever been a snapshot of what was popular right then. But what's the most popular is always changing. There have been countless characters to flood in and out of the top three, four, five spots. Whatever the template is at the time.

I don't know why this triforce has to exist at all. There are always more than three popular characters going at any given time anyway.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Meanwhile I have to wait ****in forever as I have the collector's edition. Yay me
Yeah we thought about getting the collector's edition but then we just decided to go ahead with the regular one. That's cool tho you may have to wait longer but you'll get all those extra goodies

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's definitely me.

Is there a delay on the collector's edition? My preorder for it is for launch day.
No but I have work and I as it's a physical copy, I can't play it on my break and the game store opens when I have to be at work. The amiibo got delayed for us Europeans though, we have to wait another month on those

D

Deleted member

No but I have work and I as it's a physical copy, I can't play it on my break and the game store opens when I have to be at work. The amiibo got delayed for us Europeans though, we have to wait another month on those
Oh, I interpreted "****in forever" as several days or possibly weeks.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I did preorder a Physical copy of Metroid Dread. Just need to hold out until next week to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom