• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I found this video talking about the results of a Japanese Smash character poll conducted recently here's the video

And to summarise the list

10. Sakurai himself
9-7. A tie between Cinderace, Monster Hunter and the Sussy Bean (Imposter)
6. Crash Bandicoot
5. Arle
4. Reimu
3. 2B
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
1. Sora

I do wonder if Cinderace is popular in Japan or if they're also going through a process of preparing themselves for a Pokemon.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
May I ask you how that is the case?
Both mentioned in Brawl, one because Sakurai wanted him, the other because of skepticism.

Both heavily requested but didn't make it in Smash 4. Ridley seemingly shot down, Geno hopes for next game rising due to acknowledgement from Mii costume.

Ridley finally makes it, reverse UNOing Sakurai's prior statements. Geno returns as a late Mii costume despite what Sakurai may have wanted in Brawl, fans devastated.

Their paths are like the opposite of eachother.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People just needs to give up on Geno already.

An obscure side character from a 25-year-old game who had since never appeared again was never going to ever have a chance being in Smash to begin with.
Honestly blame Sakurai for running his mouth back in early 2016, if it wasn't for that then I'm pretty sure Geno today would of been where he was during Smash 4, mostly forgotten about except for a few niche fans.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I uh...I dunno what's going on here but I'm gonna give my Steve thoughts.

I'm low key miffed that I never seriously considered Steve in Super Smash Bros. I had gotten into Minecraft for a bit a few months before his inclusion, so I was already predisposed to like him. I was this close to having a "that's it! That's the character I wanted!" moment. Instead all I have are half a pass of monkey's paws. Sigh.

But enough moping! Let's talk about how great Steve is. This character is so different that playing him truly requires an entirely different mindset from everyone else, so playing as him is always a breath of fresh air. Delving into the more complex side that I will never get to, he also has a ton of depth with how players interact with the different blocks, how Down Smash interacts with TNT, how different stages change his options completely, etc. He even has some shmovement with grounded Elytra. All of this makes Steve the most interesting hard zoner to watch, and this is coming from someone who actually likes watching normal keepawayish zoning (though the Super Smash Bros. characters with this style do tend to have less interesting play and counterplay than say, Axl from Guilty Gear Strive, so that might contribute to why everyone in this community hates that kind of playstyle; characters like Samus actually are often kind of boring, or just really weird, to watch). Also, watching him come at his opponent swinging that sword will never not be funny.

And now for the criticisms. While Steve fits just fine in most cases, there is no denying that he stands out the most, and Minecraft World looks actually bad when you look at it as a still image with characters that aren't Steve on it. I don't think they need to completely revamp Steve and Minecraft World's look, but I think they could have done something to make it fit in with the rest of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate just a bit better. It's not that big of a deal though. A slightly bigger deal are his hit animations. His normal one is fine, but his tumble animation is basically the same as his moving jump animation, and that's a bit of a problem. The solution, I think, is to have Steve's inventory menu (the original design straight from Minecraft) pop up above his head, and scroll to a water bucket, which then appears in his hand. The rest of the animation is the same as before, but Steve is looking down. When he techs, he just does the water bucket trick. You could even have him pull out an Axolotl or Fish Bucket as an Easter Egg (the menu itself could have some Easter Eggs in it as well). I'm sure someone's going to bring up the fact that the Enderman can't touch water, but it's not a real Enderman (it's just a Steve skin), so it would be fine (I mean he already doesn't take damage from swimming).

Minecraft World is a fun stage, and it looks perfectly fine in motion. I think I said I didn't like the hazards last time, but after playing with them more extensively, I actually do like them (though that may be because Steve can take advantage of them and I played him exclusively today). The track selection is massively disappointing, but also contains my pick for the best song in the game: Halland/Dalarna. The rest of the tracks are OK too I guess, but Halland/Dalarna is just, so amazing and I'm glad we at least have that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Honestly blame Sakurai for running his mouth back in early 2016, if it wasn't for that then I'm pretty sure Geno today would of been where he was during Smash 4, mostly forgotten about except for a few niche fans.
2016??? I thought it was during the brawl era. Sakurai ran a Japanese poll, Geno finished 3rd behind Megaman and sonic and then when he failed to get the rights to Geno, he made a comment about it and that sparked 14 years off constant begging for a puppet.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
2016??? I thought it was during the brawl era. Sakurai ran a Japanese poll, Geno finished 3rd behind Megaman and sonic and then when he failed to get the rights to Geno, he made a comment about it and that sparked 14 years off constant begging for a puppet.
Geno had significantly less support in the Sm4sh era

MattX20

Smash Hero
People just needs to give up on Geno already.

An obscure side character from a 25-year-old game who had since never appeared again was never going to ever have a chance being in Smash to begin with.
If Geno was that irrelevant or not wanted, Sakurai wouldn't have acknowledged the character being highly requested back in February of 2016 for Nintendo Dream.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I found this video talking about the results of a Japanese Smash character poll conducted recently here's the video

And to summarise the list

10. Sakurai himself
9-7. A tie between Cinderace, Monster Hunter and the Sussy Bean (Imposter)
6. Crash Bandicoot
5. Arle
4. Reimu
3. 2B
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
1. Sora

I do wonder if Cinderace is popular in Japan or if they're also going through a process of preparing themselves for a Pokemon.
Given how beloved Bandana Dee is over there, that he would be a completely safe pick in a base game, and is fully owned by Nintendo, it’s a bit remarkable that he still hasn’t popped up as a playable fighter by now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
People have been asking for Geno since I first found these boards in the Brawl hype phase.

You think things are mad now? I promise you they were worse back then. Y'all just didn't see them because there was no Twitter to spread the crazieness around.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
None of that is substantiated and a lot is incorrect. The comment was made in 2016 after the costume was released, referring back to the Brawl era. The only results we know from the Brawl poll is Sonic came in first, and Mega Man was second of the third-parties. Geno's rank has never been disclosed, nor have any other characters. It's conjecture that Geno was attempted for in Brawl, there's no proof he was.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There's an emulator that can run Ultimate called Yuzu...

Hold up, someone's knocking at my doo- OH **** NINTENDO NINJ- :4pacman:
Tell them to take you to court! They won't win... I think... maybe... probably... who knows? Laws on rom and iso dumping aren't very clear.

But seriously, an official PC port of Smash Ultimate would be amazing.

Well technically he is in Smash Bros so he did get the chance... as a mii costume.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I don't have any attachment to Geno. I've played through a bit of SMRPG. Fun game, but it didn't really sell me on Geno. As far as I'm concerned he's a one off character that has a following for some reason. But hey, that following has given him some modern acknowledgement so that's neat.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I have to say, I love Sakurai right? I was watching…I was watching…various places and I saw…Sakurai! The great Sakurai! He did…Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and he talked about the famous Geno getting in smash right? He said “He’ll be in when he’s in!” And we like that, he’ll be in when he’s in…but great work ethic! He’s so good-Banjo Kazooie was there, right? The great Banjo Kazooie…s’okay…

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why couldn’t Sakurai talk about Magus instead that day? ☹

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People have been asking for Geno since I first found these boards in the Brawl hype phase.

You think things are mad now? I promise you they were worse back then. Y'all just didn't see them because there was no Twitter to spread the crazieness around.
In Brawl, yes. Smash 4, not so much, his support was much more muted before the Mii outfit/Sakurai interview.

It's kinda like how Krystal's vocal support has mostly dwindeled since the post-Brawl era, though she too was seemingly still popular enough to get the nod as an assist trophy in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Given how beloved Bandana Dee is over there, that he would be a completely safe pick in a base game, and is fully owned by Nintendo, it’s a bit remarkable that he still hasn’t popped up as a playable fighter by now.
I think that Sakurai has reluctance to use Kirby content he himself didn't create. He's gotten better about it as time when on with the new final Smashes but it still stands that there was two new Kirby Stages in Smash 4 and both were based off games from the last century when he just gotten a big soft reboot.

PS I am aware that the Woolly World stage was originally an epic yarn one but the fact it was cut so easily just proves my point in my eyes.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In Brawl, yes. Smash 4, not so much, his support was much more muted before the Mii outfit/Sakurai interview.

It's kinda like how Krystal's vocal support has mostly dwindeled since the post-Brawl era, though she too was seemingly still popular enough to get the nod as an assist trophy in Ultimate.
Yeah, Krystal's popularity has continually declined, but it was still somewhat of a thing last time, while this time the early AT reveal more or less put an end to that. But as a popular-ish character without a notable role in 4, that probably lent herself to performing well on the ballot (given people thought it was mostly for that game) which in turn probably resulted in becoming the AT, which, ironically, curbed her demand this time.

Firox

Smash Master
If Geno was that irrelevant or not wanted, Sakurai wouldn't have acknowledged the character being highly requested back in February of 2016 for Nintendo Dream.
Not only that, but also including a legendary class spirit in Smash Ultimate goes to show that he's still visible on Sakurai's radar, if even to a smaller degree.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has both played and enjoyed SMRPG when it was on the Wii virtual console I wouldn't mind the little puppet man getting his day in Smash.

What pisses me off tho is how ubiquitous he is when it comes to talking about SMRPG stuff in Smash. I get he's popular and all that but there's plenty of other characters from that game that could make for cool fighters (Mallow, Smithy, Culex, Jinx) . Mallow is literally the first party member you get and he has only a fraction of support that Geno has. I just wish people would share the love around is all...

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Geno's support has always been respectable, largely for how grassroots it's tended to be. It's that vocal support that got him anything at all; the Mii outfit and the spirit alike. Those that pushed for it for all this time should feel proud, because while they may not have gotten the fighter, they absolutely were heard.
To get a bone thrown your way without any corporate incentive on your side, that's seriously hard. That's impressive.

I've no personal attachment to Geno or SMRPG, but you're not gonna see me ****talk that kind of dedication.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
See the whole "Geno got a Mii outfit AND Legendary spirit, clearly that means he's super popular and special!" has always bothered me because...well, you can say for other characters as well.

Like I just said, Krystal, despite being a controversial character from three equally controversial games that Nintendo has basically been trying to bury from the public eye for years, was still popular enough to get the AT treatment, her most major role in a game since Star Fox Command back in freaking 2006, and just like Geno she too has a Legendary spirit. Same exact thing with say, Isaac, who had his Brawl AT restored and renovated and also has a Legendary spirit (though you have to upgrade his regular spirit for it), as well as a Mii outfit just as Geno does.

I think my point is that Geno isn't really that special because there's plenty of other characters Sakurai has acknowledged the popularity of, and yet has only give them consolidation prizes like ATs, Mii outfits and spirits. It feels like the only reason Geno is put on a higher pedestal in comparison to those other characters like Isaac is just because of the magic words "I wanted to make Geno playable" spouted by Sakurai.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
People talking about Geno? I havent heard people talk of him since the "event" in the thread dedicated to him.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah, Krystal's popularity has continually declined, but it was still somewhat of a thing last time, while this time the early AT reveal more or less put an end to that. But as a popular-ish character without a notable role in 4, that probably lent herself to performing well on the ballot (given people thought it was mostly for that game) which in turn probably resulted in becoming the AT, which, ironically, curbed her demand this time.
I still really want Krystal, it just seems super unrealistic, she hasn't been in a star fox game in years..

Jondolio

Smash Hero
See the whole "Geno got a Mii outfit AND Legendary spirit, clearly that means he's super popular and special!" has always bothered me because...well, you can say for other characters as well.

Like I just said, Krystal, despite being a controversial character from three equally controversial games that Nintendo has basically been trying to bury from the public eye for years, was still popular enough to get the AT treatment, her most major role in a game since Star Fox Command back in freaking 2006, and just like Geno she too has a Legendary spirit. Same exact thing with say, Isaac, who had his Brawl AT restored and renovated and also has a Legendary spirit (though you have to upgrade his regular spirit for it), as well as a Mii outfit just as Geno does.

I think my point is that Geno isn't really that special because there's plenty of other characters Sakurai has acknowledged the popularity of, and yet can only give them consolidation prizes like ATs, Mii outfits and spirits. The only reason Geno is put on a higher pedestal in comparison to those other characters like Isaac is just because of the magic words "I wanted to make Geno playable" spouted by Sakurai.
I think the fact both of these characters got ATd is proof that they are popular and special.

D

Deleted member

Man, and this thread was like... just talking about being revisionist the other day.

As someone who has both played and enjoyed SMRPG when it was on the Wii virtual console I wouldn't mind the little puppet man getting his day in Smash.

What pisses me off tho is how ubiquitous he is when it comes to talking about SMRPG stuff in Smash. I get he's popular and all that but there's plenty of other characters from that game that could make for cool fighters (Mallow, Smithy, Culex, Jinx) . Mallow is literally the first party member you get and he has only a fraction of support that Geno has. I just wish people would share the love around is all...
If everyone and everything in SMRPG kicked as much ass as Geno, the game would be too good to be real. There's 1.5 threads almost full to bursting with accounts of how and why Geno makes such an impression and I'll sum it all up by saying Mallow crybaby, Geno chad.

Also I just have to say it feels extremely odd to see someone suggesting random SMRPG enemies as Smash characters for a variety of reasons.

I just wish if they had no intention of actually making a fighter out of Geno, they had done nothing with him. I'm starting to believe the people who claim Nintendo is trying to bleach Mario of the franchise's history to make some corporate, lifeless "icon" out of him and the starring cast and they've been trying to erase the single throwaway characters who are as good as props, and if that's the case, yeah, so be it. Just stop making us believe that Sakurai's breaking his back getting whatever meager concession he can to use the guy in some form because it just breeds trouble.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just think Geno's main problem is that he's not a major character in his own franchise.

Aside from the token WTF plant, every other character in the game is a major part of their own franchise even if the franchise itself is obscure.

Its entirely possible to be a huge Mario fan and not even know who Geno is. I think that's his biggest weakness.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

And that's why claims that Geno is just "a stand-in for SMRPG representation" are highly suspect. There's a lot to choose from, including a character of equal treatment within said game... but it's almost unilaterally for one character.

Why you lying, you just like Geno.

Not to mention in the year of our lord and saviour Mashedpotato Samurai 2021, and throughout all of Ultimate really, I suspect almost all new Geno fans became Geno fans prior to becoming SMRPG fans.

Geno's support has always been respectable, largely for how grassroots it's tended to be. It's that vocal support that got him anything at all; the Mii outfit and the spirit alike. Those that pushed for it for all this time should feel proud, because while they may not have gotten the fighter, they absolutely were heard.
To get a bone thrown your way without any corporate incentive on your side, that's seriously hard. That's impressive.
Geno's support has indeed been respectable. Years ~2005-2018. After that, I'll be honest, my respect may have waned a bit.

I still really want Krystal, it just seems super unrealistic, she hasn't been in a star fox game in years..
I also would still like to see Krystal. Not in the cards until she actually shows up again. Which requires a new Star Fox. One that actually features her. But when that time comes, her popularity is going to rocket back to the front and give a few people whiplash.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the fact both of these characters got ATd is proof that they are popular and special.
Sure, but a lot of people always like to hype up Geno as being "the last major fan request" or put him in in some kind of quartet with :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:, which to me always felt like it was throwing other older requests under the bus.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sure, but a lot of people always like to hype up Geno as being "the last major fan request" or put him in in some kind of quartet with :ultridley::ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:, which to me always felt like it was throwing other older requests under the bus.
Yeah it's big time revisionism.

I don't think Geno's fanbase is somehow any worse than other fanbases. I'd say the ratio of crazies:non-crazies is about the same as any other fanbase. Naturally, as Geno's fanbase is large, that minority is amplified.
That will happen with big fanbases. The bigger they are, the more unwieldy they become. But I'd like to interject that Sonic nor Mega Man nor Mewtwo, K. Rool or even Ridley got to the state Geno's was in. Some might take that as an affirmation of how popular Geno became... but... I'm not so sure that's painting the whole picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom