• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Well if we doing retrospective on Smash Ultimate, I got to ask

-What was your Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?

-What was your Least Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation?
- Probably the Ken leak, because of the memes it spawned with his taunt.

- Hard to say, there's been a big heap of stinkers in this cycle alone.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
personally my Least and Most favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory has to be the Banjo:Steve Dichotomy. I was fully convinced we could only get one and Steve would be smash 6 dlc.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

My favorite Leak had to be the SNK Leak. For me, its hilarious that Nintendo not only managed to leak a character once during the games life, but some how managed to make a similar mistake TWICE, almost a year after they first screwed up.

As for worse leaks, while others have talked to death about CallowMallow, which I completely agree with, I think I'll point out a very similar ""theory"" that preceded it which hit similar beats, google theory. First, it was created by a guy who already who already made a incorrect theory during the base game, which is always a great start. Second, it included the roster of Doomguy, Banjo and Ryu Haybusa (as well as Artorias) for FP1, which those three pretty much have become synonymous with fake 4chan leaks by this point in speculation (even though one did become a playable character). Third, the theory itself pretty much implied that nintendo, the people who had tried to keep the character's identities as close to their chest as possible, willingly gave Google a list of their upcoming newcomers to advertise inadvertly, which was funny in its own right. And the worst part, much like CallowMallow, was that even after it was proven objectively to be false when Hero got added, the believers immediately shifted the goal post saying that "Artorias only came up because he was DLC pack for dark souls" (even though said DLC wasn't related to Smash?) and "No one searched Hero back then, so it totally would have shown up had we done that". While it was no where near as bad as Callowmallow, I feel it definitely hit all the beats Callowmallow would eventually hit.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If this Mii Costume wave theme thing has been around through all of DLC, I'm gonna need someone to tell me what the theme is for Banjo's wave, because we got Goemon, Proto Man, Zero, Team Rocket, and Sans, and I can't decipher a theme in there for the life of me lol
I think the theme was MISC. featuring characters that didn't fit the other theme or, in Protoman and Zero's case, were left over from other waves.

Well my favorite was the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak. A perfect storm of odd picks, good fortune and enough vagueness to toy around with. It was all bunk in the end but that's what happens in the speculation game.

My least favourite was the whole Box-Leak/Grinch debacle. Took over the whole damn thing for the final months and it was a slog. Pass 2 with hardly any leaks was a much more enjoyable experience in comparison.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
When it comes to leaks, I think it would be the Grinch hoax. While it got heated (lets be real though, Smash fans get heated alot anyways), all the commotion surrounding it atleast made things interesting. It helps that the leak was pretty far-reaching on the internet, in that it wasn't just talked about within only Smash forums, but even notable Smash/Nintendo youtubers were talking about it (Alpharad and RelaxAlex off the top of my head, and of course gameXplain who alone made things crazy/weird); it wasn't just your typical smalltime Smash speculation channels such as lax Chris or Papagenos talking about it.

As for my least favorite leak, that's easily cacomallow. That **** shouldn't have lasted more than, like, a few months at most (and that might be me being generous), yet it lasted, what, over a year? A year and a half? It also was a big contributor to all the Geno drama BS going on between the latter half of FP1 and early half of FP2.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
One week left so we might as well have some fun with it. For the next couple days I'll try to have up daily polls for people to answer for fun regarding the Hype Train over the past three years.

Today seems like a decent time to ask about your favorite Fighters Pass Vol 1 character. Also Piranha Plant for those who are cool. :ultpiranha:

Will be primarily DLC related as per this thread. You can't change your vote so choose wisely!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Favorite leak's the box leak because its doubts were predicated on the belief that Nintendo surely would not be so stupid as to reveal the remaining amount of characters and the fact there is another echo on an easily read box months in advance assuming no one would infer anything just because they photoshopped the last 2 characters out, which of course...

they were.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
One week left so we might as well have some fun with it. For the next couple days I'll try to have up daily polls for people to answer for fun regarding the Hype Train over the past three years.

Today seems like a decent time to ask about your favorite Fighters Pass Vol 1 character. Also Piranha Plant for those who are cool. :ultpiranha:
:ultjoker:but :ultbyleth: is a close second because I was actually actively rooting for him.

Theguy123

Smash Lord

Favourite leak I’d have to say was either the grinch leak or the caccomallow leak. Both tore the community apart despite being wrong. Technically caccomallow could still be legit but I’m not counting on it

Favourite rumour???? I couldn’t possibly tell you

favourite theory. I don’t really remember many theories That went round. I currently like the sethiroth sega theory though as I think it’s got some legit weight to it

for the least favourite. I couldn’t possibly tell you. Too many

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Plant and Terry are easily my favorite of Pass 1(and bonus). Hero is a close second. Don't really care much about Byleth, Joker, or Banjo & Kazooie, though. Not that they're bad.

Plant was something I wanted to see more often, mooks playable. Sure, we have "species" thanks to Pokemon, but most of the time they're already notable in the anime before the game comes out(Ivysaur is literally the only one to subvert that).

Fatal Fury is a fun series, and Terry is fun to play as. I like SNK in general, though I admit I don't have that many of the games(gotta fix that, and I don't mean via Switch's online).

Hero is a great character who emphasizes a lot of RPG stuff more than ever. The drop down menu isn't the most accurate to DQ on its own(I think?), but having multiple options is common in rpg's, and having rng in the menu has existed too(Final Fantasy VIII did that a bit, though it was just knowing when your Limit Break was usable). It's not perfect either, and obviously can be a pain to deal with hoping for the right one for the job, but that's actually what makes him neat. He has all his options, but sometimes rng means you have to have patience and bide your team. Strategy is important to many rpg's, and that's somewhat there with this move. Only things missing from rpg's is equipment as a proper mechanic(you do get something similar cause items exist, but it's not character-specific) and a level up mechanic.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Will be primarily DLC related as per this thread. You can't change your vote so choose wisely!
I don’t like picking favorites, so I’ll just jot down what I love most about each fighter (I like the way they all play, so don’t expect any strategic notes)

:ultpiranha: Knocked a metric ton of people off of their high horses (for a time, anyway), completely defenestrating a lot of the smugness in people who believe every fake leak they see.

:ultjoker: Came out of nowhere and proved to be a lot of fun with Arséne. Plenty of awesome music, too.

:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4: Long overdue thanks to its impact on JRPGs, and was pretty much the Japanese equivalent of :ultridley: or :ultkrool:

:ultbanjokazooie: Legit did not see them coming at all, their moveset is a beautiful love letter to the original games.

:ult_terry: I sort of figured he was mighty popular, but after watching three Twitch streams’ worth of SNK games, he proved to be an incredibly worthy addition to the game.

:ultbyleth::ultbylethf: I think their reveal was when I realized that I was a “speculative sadist” because of the salt that spewed forth from their reveal. They still play pretty darn good with having the whole weapon triangle at the ready.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

- Favorite moment would probably be the stuff Vergeben said when Grinch leak showed up. That was the part where I knew Verge wasn't just trying to get 15 minutes of fame like most leakers because it could've been so easy to backpedal his words piggyback Grinch because everyone who had any interest in speculation and leaks talked about it. But nope, he straight up called it out as fake and stood his ground. The legend we needed at the time, even if he tripped himself over once base game came out.

- Least Favorite is Belt Theory. The name is enough to tell you how stupid it is (like seriously, why would Sakurai have the weird criteria of "character must have at least one belt"? it's so ridiculous) and yet somehow it's the one theory that managed to stand the test of time to this day. Literally how?!

There's been some really bad moments besides it, such as CacoMallow remaining relevant for over a year or the Grinch vs Box wars, but they're all part of the past now. Belt Theory is more obscure, yes, but it's about as stupid as these other moments and isn't dead yet. It bothers me more than it should.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
- Favorite moment would probably be the stuff Vergeben said when Grinch leak showed up. That was the part where I knew Verge wasn't just trying to get 15 minutes if fame because it could've been so easy to piggyback Grinch because everyone who had any interest in speculation and leaks talked about it. But nope, he straight up called it out as fake and stood his ground. The legend we needed at the time.

- Least Favorite is Belt Theory. The name is enough to tell you how stupid it is (like seriously, why would Sakurai have the weird criteria of "character must have at least one belt"? it's so ridiculous) and yet somehow it's the one theory that managed to stand the test of time to this day. Literally how?!

There's been some really bad moments besides it, such as CacoMallow remaining relevant for over a year or the Grinch vs Box wars, but they're all part of the past now. Belt Theory is more obscure, yes, but it's about as stupid as these other moments and isn't dead yet. It bothers me more than it should.
I thought Belt Theory was some kind of joke theory alongside Thirst Theory and Fire Theory tbh.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Allow me to present: The Grass Theory

Based on all the characters that were revealed so far and the fact we are in the final character, I theorize that some but not all of you will go touch some grass after this is all over

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

Based on all the characters that were revealed so far and the fact we are in the final character, I theorize that some but not all of you will go touch some grass after this is all over
"Speculation over, let's go outside now"

:4pacman:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I thought Grass theory was

"They've had Charizard and Greninja so the next Pokémon MUST be Decidueye"

OR

"They've had Greninja and Incinaroar so the next Pokemon MUST be Rillaboom"

OR

"They've had Greninja and Incinaroar so the next Pokemon MUST be Decidueye"

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

OR

OR

That's "Starter Triangle Theory"

Completely different thing :4pacman:

Jondolio

Smash Hero

OR

OR

Bro, you just posted cringe! You're about to lose subscriber!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of posting cringe, 15.ai is back up ang improved so you can have Team Fortress 2 characters quote internet memes or have My Little Pony characters read off the script to pulp fiction once again.

I wonder if there's some G-modder who can create a fake Smash trailer with it. Wouldn't be convincing but it'd be fun

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Favorite FP1 fighters (+ Plant):

:ult_terry:>:ulthero3:>:ultbanjokazooie:>:ultbyleth:>:ultjoker:>:ultpiranha:

I was hyped for Byleth at first but the more time passes, the more I hate their moveset. Though I don't necessarily really hate any of these characters (except for Plant).

In general I prefer FP1 over FP2 (unless we get like Quote or Andy for CP11).

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yea Terry’s probably my favorite Pass 1 fighter. Love his design and I love how much more fluid he feels movement wise compared to the SF boys.
Also gotta love his catchphrases, like good ol’ “Are you ok?”
Also, I bought an IRL version of his hat and a Terry amiibo so if that doesn’t tell you much, I don’t know what will.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
What was your most Favorite Leak/Rumor/Theory in Smash Ultimate Speculation? & least
Most Favorite = __ Ahri Leak

Least favorite = Phoenix wright leak = because it gave me too much hopium for more characters after FP2.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My rankings of DLC characters from least to most

Pass 1 (and plant)
:ultbyleth: :ult_terry::ultjoker::ultpiranha::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie:

Pass 2
:ultkazuya::ultmythra::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultsteve::ultminmin

Must say, I don't dislike any of the choices or characters. They've all been good choices (with the sole exception of the timing on Byleth.)

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Speaking of posting cringe, 15.ai is back up ang improved so you can have Team Fortress 2 characters quote internet memes or have My Little Pony characters read off the script to pulp fiction once again.

I wonder if there's some G-modder who can create a fake Smash trailer with it. Wouldn't be convincing but it'd be fun

Here's my best attempt at a Smash trailer using 15.ai:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
May as well throw my hat into the ring. I liked most of the first pass. From favorite to least favorite...

:ult_terry: > :ulthero3: > :ultbanjokazooie: > :ultjoker: > :ultbyleth:

I don't count Piranha Plant but if I did they'd be between Hero and Banjo & Kazooie. They're pretty neat.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

-There was this random ResetEra "leak" before Ultimate's E3 reveal with Steenee and Kirby in his Planet Robobot robot on it, which some people, albeit very few, defended because "ResetEra ban fake leakers". I'm not sure if the original guy got banned in the end, but he was just some random poster on there, and not someone with a proven track record. I wouldn't like those characters, but I applaud its creativity at least, it's stuck out to me as by far the most out there fake leak of this period, being neck and neck with the Gothitelle + Mario2 leak.

I personally liked the Grinch leak as well, if nothing else it's at least memorable for how absurd it was. From my experience the fallout of it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be either, at the very least I'd say Brawl's roster and Smash 4's launch roster caused much bigger storms in the community, hell even Byleth did imo. I suppose it depends on which places you frequent though, I count myself lucky to not be on Twitter.

-Least favorite are leaks and rumors that people seem to get behind just to be negative. It usually involves a Gen 8 Pokémon or Fortnite, and it's just tiresome since a lot of the time there's nothing significant going for them, but they're made to sound likely because for some reason being pessimistic is cool in this community, even though we as Smash fans have been treated to the best roster of all-time. To name a specific one there was the whole "Jonesy at TGA" thing after a Fortnite dev said that their biggest collaboration was yet to be revealed or something to that effect, that one in particular was used for fearmongering a lot.

Also, in response to the current poll, my favorite FP1 character is no doubt Mr. Bogard :ult_terry:. Didn't know anything about him when he was revealed, but he's since made me fall in love with KoF.

Last edited:

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

• Favourite: Grinch leak without a doubt. There was so many bizarre coincidences, the investigations into the 'leaker' and his company, the civil war, and the final pre-release Direct being announced not long after. It was just a really fun time! Still can't believe we don't know who created it or how they thought of the printers angle.
  • Least: Chair theory was flipping stupid and I can't believe it got any traction.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Most of it has to do with asking the creators/currant directors/etc. In some cases, the companies making the games have to get permission from the original creators or currant directors to be allowed to put the characters into the game. And supposedly, some of the directors for the more Japanese-focused game series, like Phantasy Star and Shining Force, weren't exactly eager back then, whether at the time or still. But that's not the case for all of them.
Like for example, in order to get Vyse into All-Stars Racing Transformed, Sumo had to get permission from the directors and they were particularly worried when it came to Shuntaro Tanaka, who was said to be very strict and protective. But thankfully, this scenario happened instead:

So thankfully, Sumo achieved the good end in getting permission for Vyse for All-Stars Racing Transformed. Not so much in trying to get DLC for All-Stars Racing Transformed aside from Ryo Hazuki for PC.

But that said, this issue isn't just with Sega. This is something that applies to other crossovers, including Smash Bros., like with what happened with Min-Min. Also with Cloud where Sakurai had to get permission from Tetsuya Nomura, who was quite willing to allow. Or Marvel vs Capcom 3, when the devs wanted to get a Monster Hunter character for MvC3 and the MH devs said no. Or Tatsunoko vs Capcom where the dev team wanted a Sengoku Basara character and the SB devs apparently said no.

Basically, some of the crossovers we don't get may be less on the companies' unwillingness and more because of a creator's or director's unwillingness.
Yeah, pretty much. if I'm not mistaken, both Vyse and Gillius were axed from the original ASR, but I'm glad they made it into Transformed.

Overall, the thing with the All-Stars series is that it's great at pulling from corners of Sega's library that aren't in the spotlight at the time. The Bonanza Bros. being in the original caught me off-guard, that's for sure, as did Ristar as a flagman, the Burning Rangers track and Race of Ages in the sequel.

On the other hand, it's weird that arguably some of the most popular Sega franchises aren't there at all. It would be like having Ray MKIII, Chibi-Robo, Isaac, Andy and Starfy in Smash, but no Kirby and Animal Crossing content whatsoever.

Personally, I'd really love for them to pull an "Everyone is Here" for the next All-Stars, but with more added series like Puyo, Yakuza, PS and SW. Maybe content from something like Vectorman or Ecco the Dolphin. Hell, add Segata Sanshiro too - I heard he was also a scrapped character in the original ASR.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I changed my mind, my least favourite "leak" was Vergeben's Riddler quest on multiple levels

1. It was really a cowardly way of getting out of saying it was Byleth.

2. He got it the whole setup wrong by discounting Nintendo characters early on.

3. I am just a little salty he called out Kat from Gravity Rush in particular as a no-go. She's a niche exclusive on a Sony platform, why would you go out of your way to shoot her down when she's already on the ground?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

My favorite was speculation time was after the august direct. It was such an awesome time minus the vergeben stuff.

Least favorite: anything with Fatman. That actually made me hate speculation, leaks, specific characters, and a large majority of this place for awhile. I didn’t get back into speculation until
Steve afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom