• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Nintendo didn't even know the existence of Nickelodeon All-Stars when the DLC was finalized.

Even if they did, it's not like that game is big enough to influence their decision.
Literally not a single character in this pass got in due to fan demand, so there is that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
This is interesting! Another thing that leads me to believe they're confident in whatever choice they've made. I don't think that points to anyone in particular, but I think it does point to whoever it is being interesting at the very least.

Before our local geniuses pop out of the village well and bring it up, it's worth noting we knew FP5 wasn't the final character before we knew FP5 was Byleth.
man…… looking at the characters, duck hunt is like the only one who’s background is brown. We need another character with a brown background. Perhaps FP11 brings a brown background.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Right dude, but I'm afraid that Smash will die after NASB will be released.
I want both Smash and NASB to be alive games.
First of all, that's pretty much the opposite of what people think will happen when CP11 releases. Second...they will be? There's still people who will prefer Smash for various reasons even if CP11 makes others want to migrate to Nick because the Japanese game added a Japanese character.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Ultimate isn't in any danger from Nick All Stars, Smash is hands down a bigger name. I do think it will develop a dedicated professional scene and a few "Melee was the pinnacle of Smash" pros will probably ditch Smash for it. But honestly a sub 1 hour presentation on the release date will have so little effect on Nick's sales that I'm honestly inclined to believe it's just a funny coincidence.

And no, I'm not entertaining the possibility of a shadow drop, so that doesn't count.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
With how many people are ragging on smash are Nick fans, i have a feelin that game isnt gonna hold up for long if its community runs on "eat ****, smash"
I'm kind of feeling similarly. The game certainly can thrive but it'll need more than "lol smash but cartoons" to do so.

You'll come to Smash for the crossover aspect, but you'll stick around because it's a competently made platform fighter. We'll have to see if All-Star Brawl ends up being similar. Either way, I'm pretty sure most people are just joking around with the whole "Smash is dead" shtick.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I'm not as broken up about the end of it all given how hard I've fallen out of speculation towards the end. My interest has been waning since the start of Pass 2, and after Kazuya I walked away from speculation entirely for multiple reasons (most notably the start of my senior year of college).

The biggest thing for me is looking back and seeing how much I've changed over the course of speculation. 3 years ago I hadn't even begun my undergrad, and now I'm approaching the end of the road and beginning to apply for graduate schools. I feel like this was the first time I was old enough to actually participate in speculation (I was around for Smash 4 Spec, but I was a 13 year old gremlin child who was really just trying to play with the big kids), and now that it's coming to end, I don't really know what to think.

It feels kind of surreal, or maybe it just hasn't really sunk in for me yet. Guess once it's all over I'll just go back to my life. I'm kind of glad to do so, but I definitely understand the weird, Stockholm Syndrome-esque feelings. This has been a significant part of our lives these past 3 years and now it's...not going to be.

View attachment 331544

Strange times for sure.
It's really nice reading stuff like this from so many people because I'm the exact opposite. These past three years have been a s**tshow for me. In 2018, I feel like I really had my life together, I was in good physical shape, financially stable, as close with my friends as I'd ever been, just graduated from college after overcoming a few setbacks. Fast forward to today, one "persistent depressive disorder" diagnosis later, and I'm at one of the absolute lowest points in my life. Through the ups and downs, I always had the...I dunno, "magic" of Smash to keep with me when all else failed. But now I'm at the end of it all, looking around and realizing that I'm more or less going to be celebrating this grand finale alone. Being brutally honest, I'm really afraid of how hollow its going to ring once those 40 minutes are over.

So seeing how many people are ending this insane rollercoaster in such better places than when they started genuinely makes me proud of you guys. Cause that s**t ain't easy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But seriously why are people calling Nick All-Stars Brawl a "Smash Killer". LMAO are they calling out of their ***** or something? xD

Please come back when the game has graphics on par with that of Ultimate as well as massive as the roster is.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean Smash spec introduced me to new games to play, whether they were represented in Smash or just the subject of fake “leaks”

IF IT WASN’T FOR THIS THREAD I WOULDN’T HAVE GOTTEN INTO LOBOTOMY CORPORATION AND LIBRARY OF RUINA. I have 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus and BlondeLombax BlondeLombax to thank for that

and also SharkLord SharkLord for Arknights and reawakening my long dormant interest in Touhou

Ivander

Smash Legend
But seriously why are people calling Nick All-Stars Brawl a "Smash Killer". LMAO are they calling out of their ***** or something? xD
Two words. Online and Rollback.

When they mean 'Smash Killer', they are probably talking getting in online tournaments since Smash Ultimate has been getting ignored due to it's bad online and we are still in a pandemic. But in general, NASB is far from a Smash Killer.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

When they mean 'Smash Killer', they are probably talking getting in online tournaments since Smash Ultimate has been getting ignored due to it's bad online and we are still in a pandemic.
Oh yeah like that's enough compared to a roster of 80+ characters.

Also remember PSASBR? That was totes a Smash Killer right?

This is a Smash clone with even less characters then Melee had and not to mention graphics especially given this day of age.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Master Hand would be cool, but balancing him for normal competitive play is a nightmare. It'd make more sense to be treated as a mode update for Century Smash, which is how you use him in Single Player anyway. It'd also be really cool to have him just available at any time. I mean, you could still have him as the final character, but he'd have to be banned in competitive anyway.

For me, the Smash OC of choice would be Giga Bowser as a semi-clone. He's not actually a Super Mario character after all, just loosely based upon Giant Bowser. It'd be the second Smash Series character too, and would at most need to be a throwable character(for balance reasons, I could see him being difficult to throw far compared to others due to his size and special properties, but yeah).

I'd be good with a Primid too, but that would also be a neat costume, since unlike previous Mooks, there's only one core design. But it's also kind of an odd one since they aren't a part of the Fighting Team while still being similar in many ways(mainly being how take that kind of role in the SSE instead).

SKX31

Smash Master
As for Nick and Smash:

Both games will probably be fine, honestly. Kinda doubt that CP11 being revealed on Nick's release day will impact Nick much, since those interested in the game can either A) go and buy physical copies before the reveal or B) pre-order / buy via the net.

If anything, Nick being a $50 game does help it quite a bit since it's not meant to be a huge big budget title. It's a smaller scale title that both Nick and Ludiosity agreed to - and that's fine. The more technical stuff is cherry on top and meant to give the game some depth for those interested in exploring it. If Nick gets a couple million sold both Nick and Ludiosity will count that as a W.

This is a Smash clone with even less characters then Melee had and not to mention graphics especially given this day of age.

Those saying Nick is a "Smash killer" are speaking clickbait-y hyperbole; but online and rollback are one of the legitimate advantages Nick has over Smash. And it does put some pressure on the Smash team to further improve what's broadly considered it's big weakness the next game (alongside fandom pressures like the #FixUltimateOnline uproar last year).

When they mean 'Smash Killer', they are probably talking getting in online tournaments since Smash Ultimate has been getting ignored due to it's bad online and we are still in a pandemic. But in general, NASB is far from a Smash Killer.
To be slightly fair it's possible to turn trash into gold (some of the most well-known players started out as Wi-Fi warriors, like Sparg0). But it remains - as pointed out above - a legitimate weakness. It feels telling that offline tourneys are coming back now and some of the pre-pandemic mainstays are shaking off rust.

(I wouldn't be surprised if this extended to the casual side too, since the pandemic did mean that people met up at friends' homes much, much less if at all.)

I've seen some professional smash players raise up Nickelodeon as a way to "stick it to Nintendo" which seems rather silly all things considered
It is silly, yes, but considering that Nintendo never really offered much of a helping hand while orgs like the Golden State Warriors through their Golden Guardians e-sports team have been a bit more generous to the Smash scene... it's not surprising in the slightest. The whole thing's been brewing under the surface since at least 2013.

osby

Smash Obsessed

PSASBR didn't have a strong competitive following, though. It did and still has a cult player base but that's nothing compared to an EVO title. In contrast, Nickelodeon All-Stars seems to be made primarily with competitive players in mind and has an actual potential to take professional players away from Smash.

I agree that there's no way it can compete with Smash's casual player base, though. Its roster is a lot more limited in appeal and the production value is pretty small.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Lol at people thinking Nick All-Stars Brawl is a "Smash killer".

Talk about exaggerating. Remember PSASBR?

Not to mention the lackluster roster and graphics.
I dunno what you expected, man. The game clearly has a way smaller budget than Ultimate, there's no way the graphics and roster size would ever compare. Calling them "lackluster" for what they are is like saying an indie movie is bad because they don't have access to the same budget and resources as the MCU.

It's even more bizarre because the devs have come out on multiple occasions to say that NASB is not a "Smash Killer". So I dunno where you're even taking this from.

Personally, I was way more of a Cartoon Network fan back in my day, but I'm in it for the mechanics and netplay - I'd argue these are the two aspects where the game shines the brightest, and they're the ones that matter the most to me.

I mean Smash spec introduced me to new games to play, whether they were represented in Smash or just the subject of fake “leaks”

IF IT WASN’T FOR THIS THREAD I WOULDN’T HAVE GOTTEN INTO LOBOTOMY CORPORATION AND LIBRARY OF RUINA. I have 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus and BlondeLombax BlondeLombax to thank for that

and also SharkLord SharkLord for Arknights and reawakening my long dormant interest in Touhou
You're welcome! I hope the new game will be to our liking, because it'll apparently be like DD, but in the LCverse!

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
With how many people are ragging on smash are Nick fans, i have a feelin that game isnt gonna hold up for long if its community runs on "eat ****, smash"
Yeah, that's a problem i have. To be defined by your opposite is to be nothing at all.

I really worry that the NASB's community will become nothing but a Melee fanboy Circlejerk. Don't get me wrong, i love the mechanics that NASB brings. All characters can reflect projectiles and grab them making zoning less obnoxious, having separate buttons for tilts and Smash (or strong in this case) and essentially having aerial Smash attacks are great features, plus strafing is neat. Some of those features are actually great on their and and allow the game to feel like its own entity while also beign good ideas for fighting game mechanics, unlike PSASBR where it felt more like they wanted it to make different from Smash, but didn't think through the implications.

But then you have stuff like Wavedashing, which feels like they wanted so desperately to please the Melee crowd, and also using terminology like "Shine".

Lol at people thinking Nick All-Stars Brawl is a "Smash killer".

Talk about exaggerating. Remember PSASBR?

Not to mention the lackluster roster and graphics.
The thing is, Smash is always gonna be king, based on its starpower alone. But a lot of people who played Smash competitively are dissapointed with it (read:the really really really vocal Melee crowd) some of them got used to it and still play the game and understand its simply different, others simply prefer going back to Melee because that's what they prefer and its understandable, but some really small but vocal group goes out of their way to denounce Ultimate for everything bad it does. Some complains are understandable, like the online being absolute dogcrap and the balancing being all over the place (not that Melee's balancing Fox and Marth parties are any better tho) and the buffering being less than desirable. But other times it feels like they don't wanna get used to Ultimate's combat and just want Melee 2.0.

NASB seems to clearly want some of that sweet sweet hardcore competitive Melee pie that Smash has been neglecting for years, and Ludosity is clearly experienced in that style if Slap City is anything to go by. It's clear to me the developers have far more of an unique identity for this game than just Meleebait, but it doesn't help when you unironically use terms like Wavedash.

What also doesn't help it's Nintendo not beign keen on Tournaments, infamously shutting down tourmanets for Melee and killing mods left and right. Nintendo and Sakurai are not obliged to please the Melee crowd, but you probably shouldn't go around shutting down tournaments for Melee either. (im not talking about Modded Brawl Tournaments, im just talking vanilla Melee tourneys, not even the Project Slippi fisasco) Assuming Nickelodeon, GameMill and Ludosity don't do that, they already have gotten the support from the Melee crowd by that virtue alone.

At best, NASB is gonna be a more Competitively Aggressive alternative to Ultimate, but it will likely be seen at worst as a forgotten Cult Classic, or as a Setting stone for more platform Fighters at best, and if the latters happens and hell freezes and we get more Platform Fighters with IPs (Dragon Ball, CN doing a beter attempt this time, etc) then NASB will look more primitive as a result, because the market would be saturated.

Also nobody is gonna give a **** about NASB in Japan, the country in which Smash comes from. They only care about Spongebob and maybe the TMNT over there.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Calling NASBR a Smash Killer is like calling MK a Street Fighter Killer. Yeah they both take place in the same genre but they both have clear differences for preference.

Smash has like 4x the characters, is incredibly more polished graphically, and has outsold literally every other fighting game.

NASBR is Multiplat, has Rollback, and was made for the Competitive scene first and foremost.

They’ll coexist, neither has the tools to kill the other.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I'm kind of feeling similarly. The game certainly can thrive but it'll need more than "lol smash but cartoons" to do so.

You'll come to Smash for the crossover aspect, but you'll stick around because it's a competently made platform fighter. We'll have to see if All-Star Brawl ends up being similar. Either way, I'm pretty sure most people are just joking around with the whole "Smash is dead" shtick.
The game is more than "Smash but cartoons". Yes Smash is a key influence but it also does more than enough to be it's own thing. I wouldn't say the "less characters than Melee" when Melee was a second entry (I also think it has more unique characters than Melee which had a lot of clones) and this is a first entry.
It also fixed a lot of the issues smash has with projectiles by making them easier to reflect and even grabbable, so projectile spamming won't be as annoying as it once was. Is it going to kill Ultimate? Of course not. But stop pretending the game doesn't have merit just because it doesn't have almost 90 characters and was made by a small indie developer rather than one of the biggest companies in the industry.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also think it has more unique characters than Melee which had a lot of clones
Currently it has the same amount of unique characters as Melee. Melee had 26 fighters, 6 of which were clones, and NASB has 20 fighters total.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Calling NASBR a Smash Killer is like calling MK a Street Fighter Killer. Yeah they both take place in the same genre but they both have clear differences for preference.

Smash has like 4x the characters, is incredibly more polished graphically, and has outsold literally every other fighting game.

NASBR is Multiplat, has Rollback, and was made for the Competitive scene first and foremost.

They’ll coexist, neither has the tools to kill the other.
Come to think of it, calling an IP or product "X-Killer" is mostly suicidal. Most franchises that do that always end up on the dumps. The only exception i can think of is Sega and Sonic, and they are not in exactly the best shape. Well and also Crash.

Almost a
Watch this turn out to be playable Master Hand or something lol
Gigachad Chronobound laughs in the distance

I would not laugh because i don't wanna pay for a character that is technically already playable.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The game is more than "Smash but cartoons". Yes Smash is a key influence but it also does more than enough to be it's own thing. I wouldn't say the "less characters than Melee" when Melee was a second entry (I also think it has more unique characters than Melee which had a lot of clones) and this is a first entry.
It also fixed a lot of the issues smash has with projectiles by making them easier to reflect and even grabbable, so projectile spamming won't be as annoying as it once was. Is it going to kill Ultimate? Of course not. But stop pretending the game doesn't have merit just because it doesn't have almost 90 characters and was made by a small indie developer rather than one of the biggest companies in the industry.
I never said it wasn't more than that. I simply said it'll need to be.
I also never said it lacked merit, just that, again, it'll need to have merit to thrive. Something true for just about any game.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The Last Fighter can be actually most Requested Character due to Competition with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl and if we Get Crash or someone very popular (Excluding Waluigi).
If it's Someone very popular like Crash, Smash would win the Competition with NASB, but if it's worse, NASB would win.

(The idea of theory was Inspired by HungryBox videos)
I must be the only one who thinks Crash is going to be a mii costume by the end of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom