• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I never thought that voice acting would be such an issue, but now i see why. It's telling that even Smash struggles with it (namely Cloud and Seph still speaking Japanese internationally, or DK and Bowser still sounding wrong)
I'd imagine the problems with the voice acting are all conscious decisions we just don't agree with:
  • Cloud is Japanese only because his voice actor is unionized, and they didn't want to/couldn't go with anyone else (and also there were no loopholes like with the Kid Icarus: Uprising crew), Sephiroth is the same for consistency, and Sonic only has reused voice clips for the same reasons.
  • Donkey Kong and Bowser were given their "voices" at the time and never updated either to reference the past or just because they didn't want to.
  • Mega Man wasn't given a voice in order to fit with his NES style.
  • Isabelle wasn't given a "voice" likely to be in line with the Villager.
  • IIRC, Olimar didn't originally have a voice so he doesn't have one in Super Smash Bros., and it wasn't added when he did get one in Pikmin 3, and Alph is similarly silent to be in line with Olimar.
  • Dr. Mario was a quick clone, so I imagine they just couldn't justify bringing back Charles Martinet so that his victory screens would sound better.
  • Samus is mute to keep in line with her 2D appearances, and she's silent enough that I genuinely don't know if you can hear her while she's in her suit.
So yeah I mean...

These graphics aren't bad at all, it's pretty much comparable to ultimate...

There's multiple smash clones out there so much so that it's it's own genre now aka platform fighter

If you watch there's lots of tech chasing and other advanced techniques in play

Leonardo has crap recovery

April looks like a top tier

It IS kinda wierd to not hear character specific voice over sounds (not sure why they could have even just had an intern make sounds while pouring coffee or something)
The main thing is that it looks super cheap, and I think the main culprit is the character animations. Like, when someone does an up kick it's like BAM! the foot's up there and then BAM! now it's not. There's no anticipation or followthrough. It's kind of a shame because the character animations are likely the most important part, and everything else looks quite good. Well...Stimpy's model looks a little rough...

The lack of voices doesn't help, but from what I've heard this will eventually be rectified, so that's a plus. Also, the soundtrack isn't all that great, but I'm sure most people are going to overlook that.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Sora might be less far fetched than some realize.
Representing him in a way that is adequate, with how many Disney characters are in his franchise does seem far fetched though. They would have to require the rights to a lot of them.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
I would call it fake. But getting October 5 correctly? He is either really lucky, which is totally possible, or actually has legitimate information.
Now this is interesting.

View attachment 331568

Reposted
October 5 is honestly the only thing that would make this leak credible.

Remember that a similar "leak" on this site got Banjo and the Dragon Quest Hero's alts right, but ended up being lucky guesses. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but coincidences are still distinct possibilities with Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean Sora could also pull off the WoL Final Battle Against Both Galeem And Dharkon-themed trailer

but again, still hung up on the opening sentence. It’s literally just “my uncle works at Nintendo” 2.0

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Remember that a similar "leak" on this site got Banjo and the Dragon Quest's alts right, but ended up being lucky guesses. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but coincidences are still distinct possibilities with Smash speculation.

There's been plenty of leaks that people pay attention too only because one thing is accidentally right. Most notably the Monster Hunter costume leak. The "Sakurai list leak" and all of the leaks that had Sephiroth or Steve on them.

All of these were just lucky guesses of course, but it's never enough to convince people that lucky guesses are actually pretty common.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I feel like negotiations would have been done in one go? For like, both the KH music that ended up in the game, as well as whatever they opted to use for the presentation, or "digital event" as it's described, assuming there somehow really was that little overlap.
October 5th is one hell of a lucky hit though, I'll give 'em that.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Alright, I guess I'll make this a thing.

Day 1: Piranha Plant :ultpiranha:

Plant was and will continue to be the strangest, most mind-bending reveal of the entire Smash Bros series. Sakurai reveals that we're getting a bonus character for adopting the game early. We all had ideas racing through our head about what it could be, but not a soul thought "It's going to be a Piranha Plant". Yes, a potted plant beat out Mario characters such as Toad and Waluigi. A character that was not even playable in the Mario spinoffs before the point. And I was all for it. Seeing a Piranha Plant feverishly rush toward its opponents and beat them up for the first time gave me a special type of joy.

Plant was also strange because he was the first and only DLC character that was shadowdropped. We had no idea when he was coming until the moment he was added to the game. No showcase, no warning, no nothing. All of got to experience this character's moveset coming in almost completely blind, which is another aspect of this character I enjoyed.

It's too bad, then, that I tend to forget nowadays that Plant is even in the game. It's like Sakurai had said: the initial shock value had worn off. Now, we have the worst of the DLC character tier-wise who is pretty much defined by a single move: Ptooie. All in all, Plant followed the exact trend these absurd reveals tend to follow: the internet collectively loses their minds only to move on years later. Sorry to be melodramatic, but it's the truth. Nobody really talks about Plant anymore, making him the black sheep of the DLC characters: A DLC character without any DLC sauce.
I’ll join in too!

I was initially VERY disappointed in Piranha Plant. I thought it was a very stupid choice that wasted a spot that could’ve gone to a real character. & I still do but now I find the character both unfun to both play & fight on top of that. Plant is by far the worst character choice in Smash Ultimate IMO.

10 Days Remaining

Joker: We didn't see it coming.

Appeared at the Game Awards 2018 when everyone didn't expect a smash announcement.
Joker, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of Plant. I was watching the TGAs live when he was revealed & couldn’t believe my eyes. I had joked during the trailer “What if this is Smash?” & then he flipped over the letter. I exploded with hype alongside my friends & was so excited.

I now thought that legitimately anyone was possible for Smash’s DLC at this point; that turned out to be true time & time again.

I hadn’t played Persona 5 at the time, but I had just bought it 2 weeks earlier during Black Friday. I’ve since beat Persona 5 & it’s become one of my favorite games ever, making Joker’s inclusion even better.

Joker’s also become one of my mains too. I love playing as him so much, he just feels fun to use. He almost comes natural to me. I love his stage too even if it’s basically a Smash original stage lol

Joker’s easily one of the best picks ever not just for Ultimate, but for Smash in general.

SKX31

Smash Master
10 Days Remaining

Joker: We didn't see it coming.

Appeared at the Game Awards 2018 when everyone didn't expect a smash announcement.
Ah yes, arguably the biggest "winner" of the DLC characters. Not only did Joker's and P5's popularity surge as a result of the inclusion, but Joker also had a surprising amount of staying power. The fact that well known players / streamers like MKLeo and Zackray picked the character up helped a lot, since it put the character in the spotlight even more and caused him to be associated with Ultimate much the same way as :foxmelee: is coupled to Melee's image. MKLeo needs no introduction, Zackray's one of the most-viewed Smashers on YouTube and Japan's most well known Smasher period. I'm mentioning those two in particular since their influence have probably reached the casual side of things.

The Specials stand out and give Joker something of a distance game. Gun doesn't hurt much but can discombobulate and harass - especially aerial opponents. Eiha's another really useful projectile, especially if it hits and annoys opponents with the DoT. Rebel's Guard is a unique counter that gives incentive towards picking right moments. Ditto with Tetrakarn / Makarakarn, even if those are some huge counters and extremely safe it requires Arsene. While Up B is more standard tether / winged recovery, it nevertheless has a couple applications akin to the Grappling Hook in 5R.

The character himself is intentionally built around the ebb and flow of P5's combat: starting the battle with nickle-and-diming the opposition, but with enough time and damage Arsene makes his appearance. Then **** gets real. As a general rule of thumb, if Joker gets to Arsene two times a stock or even more the match's generally going favorably for the Joker player since he's surviving a while.

Casually this character is not that easy to pick up compared to more straightforward ones IMHO. Sure, the Smashes and specials are relatively straightforward, but then a couple of aerials are difficult to properly land and the tilts don't offer that much in terms of raw damage. A lot of his power comes from combos and more complicated setups into Smashes, like drag down U-Air into F-Smash / D-Smash. Arsene does paper over the cracks and give some obviously strong attacks, but he's not going to be always around. (Really late edit: Misremembered things a bit, although both F-Air and U-Air can play a part in complicated kill confirms.)

His weaknesses prevent him from being outright overwhelming: Not only does he deal little damage without Arsene, but both his Up Bs are susceptible to being gimped / attacked at certain points. Arsene does come with some caveats - Eigaon is laggier than Eiha and his time out in the sun can be reduced a lot if Joker's taking a lot of damage during Arsene.

As for the first Challenger Pack (Stage, music):

Mementos is a fine stage - its effects can be a bit janky, but the walls and trains do add some spice and carnage to the stage. I just find one thing odd with it, and it's that the P3 / P4 victory themes are exclusive to those colors. Consistency I suppose? That said, I wouldn't mind if the themes were used more often.

The Spirits are good too - it's a good call to focus on the Phantom Thieves. The only missing ones are stuff like monsters and most bosses (excl. Igor) - but then again Sakurai might have been wary about including guys like Kamoshida in a family-friendly game, so it's understandable.

(Unusual character interactions sidenote: Sure, Joker can run circles around :ultincineroar:, but Incin doesn't give a **** about Rebel's Guard thanks to Alolan Whip, and Gun / Eiha can be counter-acted with Revenge. The cat's a surprisingly difficult opponent for Joker damnit I don't have a good Morgana joke.)

I see this is starting to float around on Twitter. Smashboards….. do your thing that you do best (discredit this if you can)
Call me skeptical, it looks like a typical monkeys on typewriter scenario. The date is the only thing making it slightly credible and even then I'm leaning on "lucky guess".

That said, Sora would be a welcome addition to the roster with or without Disney characters as NPCs - and not just because I personally love his trademark style of combat. He's one of the most charismatic characters out there and I'll gladly die on that hill.

Nah, they'll probably expose their hypocrisy if it is Sora...
They'd find a way to complain - especially if a Sora player hits them with an Air Combo Plus chain that carries them to the blastzone. :roll:

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
October 5 is honestly the only thing that would make this leak credible.

Remember that a similar "leak" on this site got Banjo and the Dragon Quest Hero's alts right, but ended up being lucky guesses. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but coincidences are still distinct possibilities with Smash speculation.
That's exactly why I'm not jumping the gun. But it's still a pretty good guess, and with only ten days left, I can humor it being real. Not like I wouldn't mind, Sora isn't the worst pick they could've chosen.
However WahHahaha is correct. There were leaks that got one thing correctly that seemed impossible to get, yet were really just lucky guesses. After all, how many 4chan dates had a date and ended up fake?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since I've regained quite a bit of my interest in Pokemon (to the point that I'm currently playing quite a bit of Pokemon Masters EX), I'd like to know: If CP11 is another Pokemon rep, how likely would it be to be a rep for either Legends Arceus or Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?

Side note: I've softened up a little bit on getting a third starter (like Cinderace, a frequently-suggested candidate), though I'd probably still find that boring and formulaic.
Assuming it is indeed a Pokémon: Extremely.

Coincidences are more common than you think. I got the title for Mario Party Supertars correct in a fake 4chan leak I made, but I'm not a real leaker.
To be fair, predicting that a Mario Party game would eventually use the term "superstar" is a lot more likely to be right since it makes logical sense considering the series uses the term a lot than correctly predicting a single date out of 365 with no evidence to go off of.

Coincidences are a thing (and this is probably one of them), but it's still super uncanny.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Oh and another point towards it being real: literally no one replied to this guy's post, which happens most of the time to real 4chan leaks like the guy that got Piranha Plant, Incineroar and Ken, lol.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh and another point towards it being real: literally no one replied to this guy's post, which happens most of the time to real 4chan leaks like the guy that got Piranha Plant, Incineroar and Ken, lol.
There were replies actually in the original pic Theguy123 Theguy123 posted. It just contained swearing which is why that version was removed

Theguy123

Smash Lord
There's been plenty of leaks that people pay attention too only because one thing is accidentally right. Most notably the Monster Hunter costume leak. The "Sakurai list leak" and all of the leaks that had Sephiroth or Steve on them.

All of these were just lucky guesses of course, but it's never enough to convince people that lucky guesses are actually pretty common.
to be fair I still think the 40 name list leak is legit. It got stuff right that no one else even thought off or called at the time.

Its also got sora on there if I remember rightly.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
There were replies actually in the original pic Theguy123 Theguy123 posted. It just contained swearing which is why that version was removed
Incorrect my little dudette. There were replies in the thread, but not to the post itself.
When you reply to a 4chan post, replies appear next to the post's number, but there are none.
You can check it yourself with the link I gave you. Everyone in this thread ignored this post. I'm joking when I say it's a point towards it being real, but it was indeed ignored.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace

To be fair, predicting that a Mario Party game would eventually use the term "superstar" is a lot more likely to be right since it makes logical sense considering the series uses the term a lot than correctly predicting a single date out of 365 with no evidence to go off of.

Coincidences are a thing (and this is probably one of them), but it's still super uncanny.
There's nothing uncanny about it. It's just someone who got accidentally right. There have been 1000 other 4chan leaks that got something accidentally right also. And how would some random 4chan guy know months in advance the reveal presentation for the final fighter? You realize these things aren't just handed out to anyone right? It's something that only higher ups know, so either this guy IS a higher up who decided to post it on 4chan for no reason, or has connections to a higher up who was just willing to tell him everything.

Both of those scenarios are far less likely than a lucky guess.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
to be fair I still think the 40 name list leak is legit. It got stuff right that no one else even thought off or called at the time.

Its also got sora on there if I remember rightly.
I mean anything can be correct if you just list enough characters. Having a few right, out of the 100 or so he listed and still somehow missing some DLC characters doesn't exactly make your leak credible.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's nothing uncanny about it. It's just someone who got accidentally right. There have been 1000 other 4chan leaks that got something accidentally right also. And how would some random 4chan guy know months in advance the reveal presentation for the final fighter? You realize these things aren't just handed out to anyone right? It's something that only higher ups know, so either this guy IS a higher up who decided to post it on 4chan for no reason, or has connections to a higher up who was just willing to tell him everything.

Both of those scenarios are far less likely than a lucky guess.
Did you read my post? 'Cuz I did say that I believed it to be a lucky guess.

Even assuming it is (which I am) getting a 1 in 365 chance is extremely uncanny.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm definitely leaning towards this being monkey typewriter. Guessing October 5th is impressive, but there's some things that I just can't look past.

- This was posted in July 30th. I doubt Nintendo knew what the exact date for the final Sakurai Presents would be at that point, though they definitely had a rough idea, of course. Either way, by July 30th, it's very possible the Sakurai Presents had already been recorded, given how these things tend to go.

- "I work at Disney music" and no further elaboration seems... well, yeah, uncle at Nintendo kind of thing. If what you do is that vague, how on earth were you privy to these calls?

- Why is Nintendo calling just to ask about the Sakurai Presents? Why didn't they do that when they were talking about the actual music to be included in the DLC?

There's a lot of holes in this that do a lot to counteract the lucky hit with regards to the date.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Honestly the main reason to treat this with skepticism is that Sora would be the biggest addition to Smash since Sonic, or maybe even bigger than that. Disney and Nintendo working together, the dude that works with Mickey Mouse fighting Mario, that would be insane.

It's hard to believe they would have that bombshell of a reveal and skip two E3s, one TGA, and several Nintendo Directs only to drop it at a final standalone presentation. I can believe many things but this is not one of them.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Even assuming it is (which I am) getting a 1 in 365 chance is extremely uncanny.
I've seen it happen before on 4chan numerous times.

People always use this same logic to justify it being real also. Not saying you are.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Also, I just learned something about the Legends Arceus protags: They can be attacked by Pokemon! That hints at the possibility that the protags can also fight hands-on; I'd totally be interested in a Pokemon Trainer that does some of the fighting itself. :D

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Representing him in a way that is adequate, with how many Disney characters are in his franchise does seem far fetched though. They would have to require the rights to a lot of them.
I honestly don’t know, I don’t play KH.

What I do know is that many Sora fans are completely fine with no actual Disney content and instead want just the original stuff. So I’ll just go with what they say.

As well, the Disney and Mii crossover contains tons of classic and modern characters, so they don’t seem wholly unattainable (though obviously Ultimates DLC budget is almost certainly was smaller than the aforementioned game)

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I honestly don’t know, I don’t play KH.

What I do know is that many Sora fans are completely fine with no actual Disney content and instead want just the original stuff. So I’ll just go with what they say.

As well, the Disney and Mii crossover contains tons of classic and modern characters, so they don’t seem wholly unattainable (though obviously Ultimates DLC budget is almost certainly was smaller than the aforementioned game)

If they add Sora and no Disney, they're literally missing half of what makes Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts. It would be a horrible way to represent it.

Buying the rights to as many Disney characters as it would take to represent Sora properly seems like overspending way too much on one character. Not to mention it kind of goes against Sakurai's "video game characters only" vision.

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, it feels off - which is partially an automatic reaction to it being a 4chan leak. Is that how it all works in the biz? I feel like it'd be at a higher level than Nintendo just "calling in" and being like "hey we need your music for so-and-so the somethingth." And I feel like they wouldn't get these things in order separately. Wouldn't it be far more efficient to negotiate both the soundtrack's use in the game and its use in the presentation in one go? Or do you need to specify a date and Nintendo just didn't have it ready when they started negotiating for Sora?

It doesn't add up. Not sure how to put it into words, but to me it feels like if what is claimed in this leak actually happened, the leaker would know more explicit details than they claim to. Nintendo has to specify the event's date, but not exactly what the event is for? I don't know, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom