• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
This "leak" doesn't really change anything, Sora - like literally any other character - has always been in the pool of potential last character additions. Getting the date right is interesting but in the end, we'll only know on Oct 5th.

Though I guess it does give us something to talk about.

OK so is there a leak concerning Sora I missed?
Could someone send a screenshot?
It's literally at the top of this page + previous posts.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If they add Sora and no Disney, they're literally missing half of what makes Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts. It would be a horrible way to represent it.

Buying the rights to as many Disney characters as it would take to represent Sora properly seems like overspending way too much on one character. Not to mention it kind of goes against Sakurai's "video game characters only" vision.
Again, I don’t know enough about Kingdom Hearts. All I know is that people want Sora regardless of Disney content.

Although, Disney characters like Donald and Goofy might be able to be included the same way Dracula was. Since they could be seen as distinct enough from their non game counterparts to be considered.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I mean anything can be correct if you just list enough characters. Having a few right, out of the 100 or so he listed and still somehow missing some DLC characters doesn't exactly make your leak credible.
there was 40 listed and they weren’t huge names. Yes there was characters on there that were big but the majority of them were smaller characters.

it called byleth when no one even batted an eye at them

the only mii costume on the list was monster hunter who later onwards we heard from imran that MH was planned and scrapped for FP5

just minor things like that make the leak stand out more for the average 4chan leak but I must say, I understand why people think it’s fake. I don’t blame them. It didn’t have arms on there. I personally just think it’s legit or at least legit to some stage

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Cool neologism. I will still have a negative opinion of anyone who deliberately uses "literally" to mean "figuratively". But carry on.
New meanings are attached to old words all the time. If all you care about is the dictionary definition that's what I just gave you.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
If they add Sora and no Disney, they're literally missing half of what makes Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts. It would be a horrible way to represent it.
I have to agree with that. Sure, you can put Sora in without Disney content, maybe they'll even do it.
But Kingdom Hearts's main point is interacting with Disney characters, they are 90% of the games' plots because you visit worlds filled with Disney characters.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Okay but guys listen. My dad works for Nintendo. My mom works for General Mills. They told me that the whole "final character being announced close to Halloween" thing is no fluke and then shared this screenshot from the trailer:

39025.jpeg

Yes, this literally did happen!

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
Again, I don’t know enough about Kingdom Hearts. All I know is that people want Sora regardless of Disney content.
In a nutshell, boy whacks the local anime convention cosplayers with a gaint key. And then they go to Disneyland.

Also, somewhere in a dark, dank corner, there's Final Fantasy. But don't pay mind to it.

Technomage

Smash Champion
BTW, its also possible that we get a Sora Mii Costume, they tend to put music from their IPs on mii reveal trailers.
That does raise a question: How come they don't also have songs added to the game, too? Is it really that expensive compared to using them in a trailer (and to say nothing about things that are made difficult to acquire due to copyright)?

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If they really did call up Disney music specifically for the Sakurai Presents rather than an overall challenger pack and its associated reveal... then, yeah, a Mii outfit is the only thing I can think of. But Sora's never really struck me as Mii fodder. Is he easy enough to get where that feels even remotely plausible? That's a genuine question, I don't know.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also, I just learned something about the Legends Arceus protags: They can be attacked by Pokemon! That hints at the possibility that the protags can also fight hands-on; I'd totally be interested in a Pokemon Trainer that does some of the fighting itself. :D
They don't. I assume they can just get smacked if they don't send out their Pokémon fast enough. The battle system is very similar to the normal games in the series though.

Perhaps you could justify a puppet fighter since the trainers feel a bit more involved by nature of the genre, but I dunno...

What I do know is that many Sora fans are completely fine with no actual Disney content and instead want just the original stuff. So I’ll just go with what they say.
I do wonder how many in this camp say this because they actually only want the original stuff and how many people say it because their character is otherwise unaccepted in principle by a lot of people.

Cool neologism. I will still have a negative opinion of anyone who deliberately uses "literally" to mean "figuratively". But carry on.
He didn't though. His claim is that the Disney stuff is half of Kingdom Hearts so his use of literal here meant actual rather than just being an adverb.

EDIT: OK looks like I misread his definition, but it a valid definition according to the Merriam Webster dictionary:
: in effect : virtually—used in an exaggerated way to emphasize a statement or description that is not literally true or possible
will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That does raise a question: How come they don't also have songs added to the game, too? Is it really that expensive compared to using them in a trailer (and to say nothing about things that are made difficult to acquire due to copyright)>
I’m pretty sure the banger used in Heihachi’s segment is a part of Kazuya’s song list (pls 🥺)

but yeah no Bomberman or NMH song is a missed opportunity, they should like normalize Miis coming with music and don’t limit them to Indie Miis only

Technomage

Smash Champion
They don't. I assume they can just get smacked if they don't send out their Pokémon fast enough. The battle system is very similar to the normal games in the series though.

Perhaps you could justify a puppet fighter since the trainers feel a bit more involved by nature of the genre, but I dunno...
Yeah, but then I remembered that Rex with Pyra/Mythra was scrapped due to being too resource-intensive; thus, I'm starting to think that might apply to the Hisuian Trainer, too.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I would call it fake. But getting October 5 correctly? He is either really lucky, which is totally possible, or actually has legitimate information.
Now this is interesting.

View attachment 331568

Reposted
The post is definitely real. Found in the archive myself. October 5th is one hell of a guess, especially since at the time it was more common to think that the highly-expected September Direct would be where the last character might be revealed. I'm personally going to chalk this up to being a really lucky guess, but it'll definitely be in the back of my mind.
Hmmm, so we have something possible, eh? It will be interesting to see if this will turn out true or false.

I will say this though. Remember that Mii Costumes do have music played for their reveals. Sure, this says "several", so it feels unlikely to be for a Mii Costume, but I still say keep your expectations and hype in check.
Since this thread is now moving really fast:
Next post is actually made by Sakurai and is trying to erase any evidence of Sora's inclusion, don't listen to them. :210:
was the next post
Considering how much I've been vouching for Phantasy Star because of it's history with Sakurai, this would imply I don't need to erase evidence of Sora's inclusion since I've already been supporting who FP11 actually is.
"Literally" is not a big word and I'm not using it wrong either.
And I was not implying you were. Nor did I implicate you were one of those "some people".

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
If they really did call up Disney music specifically for the Sakurai Presents rather than an overall challenger pack and its associated reveal... then, yeah, a Mii outfit is the only thing I can think of. But Sora's never really struck me as Mii fodder. Is he easy enough to get where that feels even remotely plausible? That's a genuine question, I don't know.
Honestly, while I doubt we're getting any KH representation in Ultimate, Sora would make a pretty perfect Mii costume. Big spikey hair, a chibi-styled version of his outfit, and make the sword the Keyblade. That'd be a cinch and...I know we have a lot of passionate fans here, but it would honestly work well enough.

They made Aerith into a Swordfighter. They made a pig from Minecraft into a Brawler. Sora as a Swordfighter isn't a big stretch at all.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Y'know, with a leak like that, it's a win-win situation.
Either it's really Sora, and people will be happy we finally got a real leak on 4chan for the first time in years, as well as Sora being a decentely popular pick.
Or it's not Sora and we will be surprised.
We will all end up as winners in the end!

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I just realised I haven't posted on this thread since before the Direct.

I'm perfectly fine with waiting another 1 and a half weeks to know who the final DLC fighter is, because I'm not dying to know, and to be honest I still only play Ultimate for a few hours whenever a new Challenger Pack releases.

I find it funny how I've seen some people claim that if CP11 is lame, they'll boycott Nintendo, as if Smash character lameness is a measurable metric.

I'm also convinced that that Sora leak is fake, due to past precedent set by 4chan leaks (especially ones featuring the likes of Waluigi, Crash, Sora and Master Chief) as well as 'Disney Music' not sounding like a real division of Disney to me.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
find it funny how I've seen some people claim that if CP11 is lame, they'll boycott Nintendo, as if Smash character lameness is a measurable metric.
Y'know this would be incredibly ironic if Waluigi was the last fighter. Just saying.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So to summarize my thoughts here, I really just don't think this is legit, for reasons both I and others have stated.

Nintendo called Disney music; didn't even bother to send an intern, just called them. To get the rights for music tracks, specifically for the Sakurai Presents... and not the actual DLC itself. Meaning these things were negotiated separately, for some reason. Meanwhile Anon is involved enough in the process to know when the digital event is, but not enough to know what the digital event is? It's just kind of a mess.

Hitting the date is impressive! But really, I'm sure there's a lot more than 365 bogus Smash claims over on /v/. At least Anon gets to have their attention, even if it's elsewhere and a tad late, haha.

I don't really think there's anything left to say without the thread just runnin' in circles, so I'll leave it there.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I'd imagine the problems with the voice acting are all conscious decisions we just don't agree with:
  • Cloud is Japanese only because his voice actor is unionized, and they didn't want to/couldn't go with anyone else (and also there were no loopholes like with the Kid Icarus: Uprising crew), Sephiroth is the same for consistency, and Sonic only has reused voice clips for the same reasons.
  • Donkey Kong and Bowser were given their "voices" at the time and never updated either to reference the past or just because they didn't want to.
  • Mega Man wasn't given a voice in order to fit with his NES style.
  • Isabelle wasn't given a "voice" likely to be in line with the Villager.
  • IIRC, Olimar didn't originally have a voice so he doesn't have one in Super Smash Bros., and it wasn't added when he did get one in Pikmin 3, and Alph is similarly silent to be in line with Olimar.
  • Dr. Mario was a quick clone, so I imagine they just couldn't justify bringing back Charles Martinet so that his victory screens would sound better.
  • Samus is mute to keep in line with her 2D appearances, and she's silent enough that I genuinely don't know if you can hear her while she's in her suit.

The main thing is that it looks super cheap, and I think the main culprit is the character animations. Like, when someone does an up kick it's like BAM! the foot's up there and then BAM! now it's not. There's no anticipation or followthrough. It's kind of a shame because the character animations are likely the most important part, and everything else looks quite good. Well...Stimpy's model looks a little rough...

The lack of voices doesn't help, but from what I've heard this will eventually be rectified, so that's a plus. Also, the soundtrack isn't all that great, but I'm sure most people are going to overlook that.
I agree with you mostly... My thing is there is an awful lot of shade getting tossed around and it's like why who gives a **** are we so insecure at smash's future that even a lower budget title in the same genre deserves so much hate?

I can't speak to the Deb teams choices about animation but I personally think it may have been a way to make the game smoother online. But this decision has definitely added to these notions of the game being "jank" or "cheap."

And beside all that when has a first entry in a fighting game ever been comparable to an established successful fighter on its 5th iteration?

Meh.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, but then I remembered that Rex with Pyra/Mythra was scrapped due to being too resource-intensive; thus, I'm starting to think that might apply to the Hisuian Trainer, too.
Eeeeeh. The issue was due to their complicated designs, but I dunno if I'd put the Hisuian Trainer in that camp:
1632590049096.png
1632590126220.png
The Hisuian Trainer does have detail, but not nearly as much as Rex & Pyra do, and I dunno if they'd be that much higher in detail than the Ice Climbers.
1632590169772.png
I highly doubt it would just be them, but their most likely companions would probably look similar to this:
1632590401391.png
1632590413604.png
1632590423349.png
Unless the new starter designs are a lot more complicated, I could see it working. My issue is just...would they or should they do it?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
The only 2 4chan leaks I've ever seen that actually ended up real were the Ken leak (which didn't even originate from 4Chan) and Min Min's pose.

I guess the Min Min one might have been a really good fake, but it was the exact same pose as Min Min's victory animation.

Both were image leaks, not text leaks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom