• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Alright fellas.

Dawn of a new week.

Place your bets.

This week? Or next?

Monolith site maint on the 8th, alongside potential last minute promotion for Warioware

Or next, due to NSO's 3 year anniversary, and the rumors popping up everywhere of GB/GBC games on the NSO
Next week

Feel like they'll wanna give Warioware some breathing room before bringing out the big guns

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I'm not up-to-date on Pokemon, but there's one that's a ring of keys...

...and two that are literally bags of garbage.

Still, I'd prefer it if they went with something unique over another fire type starter. (Cinderace might be fun to play as, but after Charizard and Incineroar, it feels like an uninspired pick) Pokken Tournament did a great job with thinking outside of the box and giving us some pretty weird choices.

I mean, Chandelure was the most popular Unova pokemon in the official 2020 poll and the eighteenth most popular overall so its inclusion is not that rare

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing I'd willingly bet 100$ on is that we'll get a Direct within the next 2 weeks.

This week or next, it doesn't matter to me.

While I'd like it to be this week(And the potential Sakurai Presents the following week), it'll come soon enough, that I'm 100% sure of.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Betting on getting the Direct next week.
Since I’ve been wrong so far, this means that it’ll be this week. Meaning I win. And if I am somehow right, I get to brag. I still win.

Its the perfect plan. :4pacman:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
-Adol Christin. I'm sorry to say, but He seems like the definition of "Generic Anime Swordsman".
As one of the biggest Ys fanatics on the site, I have to say...

You're not wrong, really. His entire shtick is that he's just some dude who's inhumanly skilled with the sword for some reason who goes on adventures because he can and somehow gets roped into fighting an ancient evil once again to fill the yearly quota. Your thoughts on him are more than likely influenced by tolerance towards swordfighters as an archetype.

I've pretty much accepted that if he ever gets added he'd cause a major divide in the fanbase. But ah well, we'd have Adol Christin and Ys music in Smash in that scenario, so eh. That's still a win for me :drshrug:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There will be a Direct this week but there will be no fighter reveal. We will get a date for a "Final Ultimate Presentation" which is where they'll reveal the character

The presentation will be in...

November
…at least we don’t have to wait for TGA

AND it’s in the same month as the last base game direct

Theguy123

Smash Lord
On the topic of hopes for the upcoming direct I’m Hoping for Layton news of some sort in the next direct. It’s the 15th anniversary of the series In February so now seems like a good time to announce some news for the upcoming anniversary.

i wonder if we’ll get spectres call on the mobile (which will probably be a separate announcement) or if the switch version of CV and LF still exist and have been picked back up by level 5

i just found out today that Layton 7 has literally just been put on the Apple Arcade outside of Japan which means level 5 are still releasing Layton games outside Japan so Layton news In the upcoming direct isn’t unrealistic

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I mean, Chandelure was the most popular Unova pokemon in the official 2020 poll and the eighteenth most popular overall so its inclusion is not that rare
I haven't really followed Pokemon since gen. 3, so I had no idea - I just found it funny that they included a chandelier as a playable character in a fighting game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I haven't really followed Pokemon since gen. 3, so I had no idea - I just found it funny that they included a chandelier as a playable character in a fighting game.
Like you wouldn't play Lumiere in a Disney fighting game?

I know it's comparing a candle to a chandelier, but they're still similar enough.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Alright fellas.

Dawn of a new week.

Place your bets.

This week? Or next?

Monolith site maint on the 8th, alongside potential last minute promotion for Warioware

Or next, due to NSO's 3 year anniversary, and the rumors popping up everywhere of GB/GBC games on the NSO
This week before Sony's State of Play and Crash's 25th anniversary on Thursday.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
This week before Sony's State of Play and Crash's 25th anniversary on Thursday.
Honestly Crash would be very underwhelming at this point. Not because the character is bad, but because everyone has been predicting him since like mid FP1. It would be very boring to just reveal him as the final character after all this.

A part of me would rather have some random 1st party character than him as the last fighter.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There will be a Direct this week but there will be no fighter reveal. We will get a date for a "Final Ultimate Presentation" which is where they'll reveal the character

The presentation will be in...

November
November, the exact same month that SMTV releases.

Willbuysmash4mw was right all along.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As one of the biggest Ys fanatics on the site, I have to say...

You're not wrong, really. His entire shtick is that he's just some dude who's inhumanly skilled with the sword for some reason who goes on adventures because he can and somehow gets roped into fighting an ancient evil once again to fill the yearly quota. Your thoughts on him are more than likely influenced by tolerance towards swordfighters as an archetype.

I've pretty much accepted that if he ever gets added he'd cause a major divide in the fanbase. But ah well, we'd have Adol Christin and Ys music in Smash in that scenario, so eh. That's still a win for me :drshrug:
Look on the bright side: he's the only anime swordsman with a rock band that goes after him wherever he goes. :4pacman:

But yeah, that's a part of being from one of these old JRPG series. A lot of them played things by the book whether in aesthetics or plot - in part because some of these series literally wrote these tropes.

Hell, as a fan of Trails, I can tell you I love the games' narrative, mechanics, music and other aspects, but I definitely didn't start playing because of the aesthetics (though some things get more visually interesting as the series goes on imo).

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
How would you change Meta Knight's moveset?
I don't know how I would change it, though I don't like the current one, it does not feel like the Meta Knight from the Kirby series at all.

In the Kirby series he's more flashed out, he can create tornado columns, launch shockwaves, block attacks and overall he feels faster and more agile compared to how he appears in Smash.
I'm not a fan of his multi hit smash attacks, he using kicks for part of his moveset, and I dislike that drill like move a lot.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well let's see what tomorrow brings.

What time is it in Japan now anyways?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People viewing characters as if they're a point in conversation above being a character perpetually in the game after their reveal is so surreal to me. Who cares if we've talked about a character or if we haven't, we become accustomed to both after they're included, and shouldn't what ends up in the game be more important than the conversations which preceded it? The reveal is momentary, their presence endures. Often across many titles.

If you can honestly say that hearing speculation about a character makes you want them less, I'd really question being here. It's giving far too much power to an aspect of the game so inconsequential it's not actually part of the game at all. Especially knowing that a hallmark of speculation is cyclic conversation.

What happens here should serve to enhance your experience of the game, not detract from it, right? Otherwise... is it worth it? Is it worth diminishing your outlook on characters over?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
All I'll say is that this week there's Cirno's Day, and if Nintendo wants to bully Sony then putting a direct on the 9 would be perfect for it would be the strongest.
BAKA BAKA

On a slightly less strong note, with everyone understandably wanting Nintendo 64 on NSO, "it is Game Boy and Game Boy Color this is what you get today. Go eat." sounds extremely in-character for Nintendo to the point where I'm inclined to believe it largely unconditionally.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
People viewing characters as if they're a point in conversation above being a character perpetually in the game after their reveal is so surreal to me. Who cares if we've talked about a character or if we haven't, we become accustomed to both after they're included, and shouldn't what ends up in the game be more important than the conversations which preceded it? The reveal is momentary, their presence endures. Often across many titles.

If you can honestly say that hearing speculation about a character makes you want them less, I'd really question being here. It's giving far too much power to an aspect of the game so inconsequential it's not actually part of the game at all. Especially knowing that a hallmark of speculation is cyclic conversation.

What happens here should serve to enhance your experience of the game, not detract from it, right? Otherwise... is it worth it? Is it worth diminishing your outlook on characters over?
Besides.

Bored Smash fans are the least of Crash's worries.

It'll be the Twitter mob that hounds Nintendo for including him despite the legal talks taking place upwards of two years ago long before any of the current Acti-Blizz stuff came out.

:4pacman:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace

You completely misinterpreted my post. People talking about him didn't make me want him less, it just would make me less excited for his reveal since he's talked about so much. It wouldn't be like "oh wow, they're adding Crash to the game" it would just be "Oh.. ok, this was a character everybody was predicting anyway" it would lessen the excitement and surprise factor that usually comes with a reveal.

Like, I wouldn't have been excited for Dante or Monster Hunter either just because of how predicted they are. If everybody said "Minecraft Steve is coming to the game" over and over again before he was revealed, I would have also been less excited for Steve. If I were to go into a movie, and people already told me what was going to happen in the movie loudly, over and over again while I was walking into the lobby, I would be less excited for it. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You completely misinterpreted my post. People talking about him didn't make me want him less, it just would make me less excited for his reveal since he's talked about so much. It wouldn't be like "oh wow, they're adding Crash to the game" it would just be "Oh.. ok, this was a character everybody was predicting anyway" it would lessen the excitement and surprise factor that usually comes with a reveal.
I think I see your point. Still, despite what is going on with Activision-Blizzard, Crash is a big icon, so it is no wonder why people have been talking about him.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Besides.

It'll be the Twitter mob that hounds Nintendo for including him despite the legal talks taking place upwards of two years ago long before any of the current Acti-Blizz stuff came out.

And still I'd be surprised if the pushback got even close to Byleth's.

I would also expect a lot of people to look past what's happened recently because Crash is a well-liked character. I think things would pan out a little differently if you included a character like Tracer, who doesn't have the buttressing of support that Crash does.

Either way, Nintendo won't give a ****. Justified or baseless, I think Nintendo is well past caring about the commotion of angry Smash fans.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Besides.

Y'know - I don't care much either way for Crash and Activision-Blizzard is pure filth.
But in such a timeline where Crash is kept out for that reason (rather than simply not being chosen), I don't really know how I feel about punishing the fans of a very long-running and highly popular series for the aforementioned company's (abhorrent) practices.
There are better ways to come down on Activision-Blizzard than depriving a large bloc of unrelated people of something that would make them very happy. Such as tangible legal action, which it looks like we're seeing, and that's good!
Again, this is all if we're talking such about such a scenario where that indeed is the sole reason Crash doesn't get in, which is obviously not realistic.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know how I would change it, though I don't like the current one, it does not feel like the Meta Knight from the Kirby series at all.

In the Kirby series he's more flashed out, he can create tornado columns, launch shockwaves, block attacks and overall he feels faster and more agile compared to how he appears in Smash.
I'm not a fan of his multi hit smash attacks, he using kicks for part of his moveset, and I dislike that drill like move a lot.
Meta Knight's moveset is a strange mishmash of a Wing attack, a Master attack, a move he actually uses as a boss (but only in certain games), and an exit animation when you beat him (but only in certain games). Oh and then most of his normals are made up even though they didn't have a shortage of usable material left.

This combined with the wonky excecution of his playstyle just reads as a bit unfocused. King Dedede has similar issues.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I sometimes like to think that Nintendo and sakurai were sat in a room when deciding on the pass and they just randomly said out loud “the punishment for leaking Ken is………. BYLETH!!!” And that’s how we ended up getting byleth.

it’s a random thought that I thought would be funny to share with people lol

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Meta Knight's moveset is a strange mishmash of a Wing attack, a Master attack, a move he actually uses as a boss (but only in certain games), and an exit animation when you beat him (but only in certain games). Oh and then most of his normals are made up even though they didn't have a shortage of usable material left.

This combined with the wonky excecution of his playstyle just reads as a bit unfocused. King Dedede has similar issues.
Strange.
MK and DDD are characters Sakurai himself personally created, and judging by the new final smashes, it's not like he forgot about what they're about.
Perhaps Sakurai just... likes how he made them in Smash and prefers it over how he made them in Kirby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom