• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
mario animated tv series has so much potential im surprised it hasn't happened yet

yes I remember the super show but I dont wanna

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
One character I'd love to see seems as people go on endlessly about Zelda representation is Ravio. Some might say there are "more deserving" characters or more recognisable ones, like Toon Zelda, Midna, or anyone else. The things with Ravio, though, are twofold.

1. It represents one of the most interesting, and generally underused, parts of the Zelda series - items. Ravio using his own various items - as well as maybe some others from different 2D titles like A Link to the Past - could be really interesting in terms of basic mechanics. Not only that, but a sort of rupee-based gimmick based on his own rental system could be really fun!
2. Personality. Ravio is, unlike Link, basically a coward. The idea of his more powerful items even making him flinch upon using them is unreasonably funny to me (a little like Snake's unique animation when he's close to one of his own grenades) and the unique way he'd be for a Zelda character, well, character-wise seems really fun.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Metroid would be a terrific cartoon. Badass female lead on a quest to destroy the mot dangerous weapon in the galaxy. Something with a dark tone and mood would be really nice. I would love to see Ridley get some more characteriation since despite being a growly creature, the guy is really smart and seeing his more strategic side would be nice.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I'd love all of them.... so hard to choose!

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Personally, I would absolutely love to see a series of maybe OVAs of sorts, each one focusing on lesser-known Nintendo series. For instance, something stylised like Akira but based on Mach Rider, a racing OVA based on Excitebike (and maybe with reference to Stunt Race FX,) a Joy Mech Fight-based tournament arc, the possibilities are endless. I know it's not just one series, but I love the idea of some lesser known IPs being experimented with!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I also wanna see a better F-Zero animated series. GP Legend didn’t do it for me, it deviated too much from X/GX and was for all intents and purposes an alternate universe

like if it was set in the same timeline as X/GX, that’d be great

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Donkey Kong Country, but its just this in HD

mario animated tv series has so much potential im surprised it hasn't happened yet

yes I remember the super show but I dont wanna
How about the time when Toad was swinging around on a shower head affixed to the back of Mario's vehicle and he was swinging around going "EEEEEEEEEEEE HEEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEEHEE" like for a REALLY long time and Peach/Toadstool was clapping open mouth smile like "Ahhhhh ahhhhhh" and Toad just kept doing it and then ONLY when he stopped did Luigi turn around and go "WOW"

Hahahahahaha that show as REALLY WEIRD but I have a soft spot for it, it's such a part of my childhood.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Didn't Tournament Theory completely miss Min Min?
no. Tournament theory is based on the tournament decades they keep dropping.

they dropped the 1990s and 2000s tournaments right after byleth which pretty much suggested that fp6 was a 2010s rep

and then they held off the 2010s tournament until kazuya’s reveal which suggests the last character isn’t from the years 2010-2019

They’re a deconfirmation for the next fighters. Not the whole pass. Considering they held the 2010s decade tournament off until pyra and mythra’s reveal as they’re a 2010s rep suggests the last fighter isn’t from the 2010s

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

they dropped the 1990s and 2000s tournaments right after byleth which pretty much suggested that fp6 was a 2010s rep

and then they held off the 2010s tournament until kazuya’s reveal which suggests the last character isn’t from the years 2010-2019

They’re a deconfirmation for the next fighters. Not the whole pass. Considering they held the 2010s decade tournament off until pyra and mythra’s reveal as they’re a 2010s rep suggests the last fighter isn’t from the 2010s
Counterpoint: the 90’s and Heroes vs Villains tourneys happened long before Sephiroth’s reveal and you could argue he’d fit in both

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I dont really know much about the series. Its always interesting to learn more about all sorts of characters. What about her gameplay? How would she translate to smash? I am a bit curious.
Erm, well...Her source material is projectile barf and uh, more egregious projectile barf (there's a reason why they call it bullet heck), so she would be a projectile zoner.

There are a few mechanics that they could use beyond that, though how they'd be implemented is a big question mark. So the first thing is that in Touhou, your hitbox is smaller than the character itself. It's typically a glowey dot in the center of their bodies that you can only see when you focus your fire. The "focus fire" mechanic is essentially the ability to hold down a button to change how your shots come out. IIRC, Reimu's default shot is homing, but when you focus it, it shoots straight forward, so you'll land more hits on a single target quicker, but it's harder to land your attacks. It's also worth noting that when you focus your fire, you slow way down, which is also helpful since it helps you microadjust your way through a wall of projectiles (along with the fact that you can also see your hitbox).

The most direct way that I could see these mechanics being implemented is that Reimu would have a normal hitbox, and would have a Neutral Special or something that would be a rapid fire projectile kind of like Fox's Laser, but a bit more mobile. She could then focus the attack, which changes the use case for the projectiles, but locks you in place more or less. While focusing, the glowey dot appears, causing her to take less damage from any attacks that don't hit this dot, but more damage from attacks that do. The focused version of the attack could also be a separate move.

Then there's the bombs, which originally cleared the screen of all projectiles, and did damage (though I think later games do add different types of bombs that act very differently. Reimu always has access to the standard one though). Bombs can also be used when you're hit so that you don't die, but you do have to trigger it on reaction. They also have limited uses, and are about as valuable as lives themselves. In Super Smash Bros., this would likely be an X number of uses only move like Wonder Wing that acts like a burst in other fighting games, though perhaps more deadly. I...wouldn't make the on-hit reaction version of the move very powerful though; just make it a "get off me" tool with little to no damage, or perhaps just make it a counter or give bombs super armour or something (they already destroy all projectiles and would likely be super punishable so why not?).

There's also a grazing mechanic that gives you more score for almost getting hit by things (score gives you bombs and lives), but that could be pretty strange to add. If it was, I'd imagine it would be something like rewarding the character for staying just out of their opponent's effective range.

As far as Reimu specific things go, she usually has an attack involving bouncing yin-yang projectiles (they fly straight, but bounce off of terrain), and if they wanted to reference the first game, they could make it so that Reimu can hit the projectile with other attacks to alter its trajectory. As a boss (which IIRC, only happens once), things get crazier. The most reasonable attack involves projectiles that fly straight in the player's direction, pause, then go straight at the player again. They do not lose their hitbox as they pause. Most of the rest of it is the standard projectile barf fair (though you could have attacks inspired by the pattern albeit super committal ones), but there are two very interesting Spell Cards that she uses in the fights. The Dream Sign "Duplex Barrier" and Boundry "Duplex Danmaku Field" Spell Cards create two electric boxes; one inside of the other. They don't do damage to you, but it warps her projectiles. The projectiles will start from the inside of the two boxes, and move out. When they hit the first box, they teleport to the second one, and move into the center. Then when they hit the first box again, they teleport back to the second box and move outward again. Something interesting could be done with that.

All in all, since Touhou is a series where you have to keep a level head against the mass of projectiles, I'd imagine Reimu would end up one of two ways:
  1. She's the player, and her preferred range is just out of her opponent's reach.
  2. She's the boss, and she likes to stand back and barf projectiles everywhere, with her opponents having to be the one to try and bob and weave through them to get their gameplan going.
She could easily be one of the more galaxy brained zoners if all of the projectiles they chose for her were on the weirder side, and would almost certainly end up being a pretty polarizing character since some characters just can't deal with hard zoning. She's also likely to be a featherweight since you die in one hit in the original series.
EDIT: And pretty floaty too since they're always flying around. I wouldn't be surprised if she had an emphasis on aerial play either.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Not the 90s, not the 2000s, not the 2010s...

IT'LL BE CAPTAIN N FROM THE 80s.

Or maybe just Skeletor

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
In terms of characters I don't want... There's not many. There's plenty of characters I'm indifferent to but only a few that sour me any. Only really two, actually, being Sora and Jonesy. Sora because I just don't like Disney, and Jonesy because I don't like Fortnite.
I'd still tolerate Sora being in though, I'd say, just because it'd be hard not to be happy for the amount of people that do want him. So, y'know, whatever.
That only leaves Jonesy, but I think anyone playing up his chances is either baiting or needlessly worried.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Isn't this kind of attached to the original idea behind tourney theory tho? The original idea was that they were deliberately holding them off for characters who applied to the rules of the tournaments so that character could still be included when the tourney was actually unveiled. This decade variant just seems to be a more involved version of the previous version, which was completely tore apart by Min Min as she had a reflector yet wasn't held off. Even if this was just one instance, as it has little reason to actually believe it beyond filling the gaps, the fact that it missed Min Min likely just means they aren't really bothered. This decade version, as said, just seems to be a more specific version of tournament theory..

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I'd be good with more variety too(despite my most wanted being from a JRPG). I'd love an FPS rep(Doomguy, Master Chief, for instance)
Thank you for your MC support. BTW who is your most wanted?

Metroid easily would be the best. 2nd best would be LoZ.

This is my list. It's pretty big and people may call me out for not knowing about a series but I do

Agree with everthing said here.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just don't want a Pokemon or any character owned by Activision-Blizzard (sorry, Crash).

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
I’d prefer a Nintendo cartoon based on a less mainstay franchise. Star Fox, Pikmin, Arms, Splatoon, or even StarTropics or Murasame Castle. Allow a “lesser” franchise to grow in the hearts and minds of the people. Plus it would allow for more creative freedom. I’d be weirded out by a talking Link and god forbid the voice choice is lacking

SharkLord

Smash Hero
She's also one of the smarter characters
Not counting that one time in WaHH where she needed Tenshi(!) of all people to explain how to use the magic sword shard to defeat the final antagonist (Re: Infinite Bomb cheat code).

But yeah, for the most part she's the semi-serious one. It's just that the nature of the series means she's pretty inconsistent character-wise and you'll find a different Reimu in each print work, with the reasoning being that "no series has been told from her perspective," and everyone has a different image of who she actually is. Heck, I've seen at least one person suggest she just straight-up has multiple personalities entirely to explain why each official Reimu acts differently. Plus, on occasion she brings the personality of one manga into the other for a brief moment, which then screws with the other character's perception of her.

So yeah, in short Reimu's portrayals are pretty much emblematic of Touhou's "Eh, do whatever" approach to fanworks.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Closest thing to a character that doesn't interest me is Frisk(due to liking the "pacifist route"), and honestly, I see potential anyway. Where'd that spirit event, at least...

I'm not too picky in general. I'm sure whoever it is will be fun and interesting~

Ohhhhh, right, Classic Sonic. The current Sonic, while inspired with a decent amount of Modern, also has quite a bit of Classic sprinkled in. He's basically both. Though the more annoying thing is trying to say Classic Sonic would be an Echo, despite them having an actual different bodyshape. :facepalm:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Characters I don't want? Well, my most hated character was Heihachi and he was deconfirmed hard with the Mii Costume so that's a plus. As for other characters like a Fortnite rep, Nabohino or Demifiend, and promotional picks from Nintendo like a BOTW rep or Gen 8 Pokemon, I don't think they're happening because of the development timeline for Ultimate and that all the DLC characters were picked by the end of 2018 and negotiations concluded the following year. That, and Nintendo already had 1/3 or roughly 1/2 of the pass with Pyra and Mythra, so a lower key 3rd party pick would be more plausible at this point
How about Ring Fit Adventure, or to a lesser extent, Astral Chain?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The only characters I don't want is YOUR favorites, because MINE is supperior.
That's a joke by the way.

More seriously, Just...No ****ing Pokémon. Anything but a ****ing Pokémon, or FE character or whatever. Don't let this pass and the probably final character of Super Smash bros ULTIMATE be just a tiny whimper in the breeze.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
  • Mortal Kombat character, I just don’t think they’ll fit. Extreme violence is their whole character
For whatever its worth- I think that this statement is fully incorrect.
Since its inception, Mortal Kombat has had as much camp as it has gore. This can be seen in little easter eggs like the, 'TOASTY!' man, some fatalities (like Babality, Friendship, Animality), and arguably things like the over the top phrases such as "FINISH HIM!'

For me, if a miracle happened, and we got Scorpion with a Sub Zero echo- one thing I'd be so happy to see is Sub Zero freeze an opponent. The effect would likely, hopefully, be translated to what it means in SMASH to be frozen- being a block of ice. These are the kinds of translations that make me giddy.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I think Frisk would be a cool inclusion, it’d be neat if the moveset changed over time depending on the players actions to either Pacifist or Genocide. How exactly Pacifism would work in a fighting game, I’m not sure though.

That said, I’d like Flowey or even an upgraded Sans more.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, is the generally accepted idea that we get the announcement on Tuesday and Direct on Thursday?

Its actually wild that we might be done soon.
No.
I see no way it will happen.
And that 'new' sign really comes at me.

It would have to be removed today for that to even be a possibility in line with what they have always done.
this coming from the guy who scoffs at patterns

EDIT: You didn't mean revealing of the playable character. My bad.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
The only character I'm not really interested in is Jonesy. I just dislike Fortnite's art direction and think he looks incredibly boring currently. So if he's in, his trailer will really have to impress to win me over.

As much as I really don't want Activison/Blizzard to get a character, they would've been decided long before the "reveal" and it's not Nintendo's fault, nor the fans or the characters, for what happened.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Frisk would be a cool inclusion, it’d be neat if the moveset changed over time depending on the players actions to either Pacifist or Genocide. How exactly Pacifism would work in a fighting game, I’m not sure though.

That said, I’d like Flowey or even an upgraded Sans more.
The pacifist side would likely give Frisk attacks that aren't actual attacks and don't even do damage. For example, his down tilt has them pull out a rag and shine the opponent's shoe/foot/base/pot/propeller with it. It would technically do damage (and would definitely give enough frame advantage to not be minus on hit), but it wouldn't display on the % counter, and wouldn't read as an attack as far as animations are concerned. Characters that get hit by these "attacks" would progressively get tinted yellow (or their % counter would), and when they take enough "damage" they would become very yellow, and vulnerable to the Spare move, which would likely be a command grab that instantly K.O.'s, but with the K.O. framed as Frisk befriending the opponent, and the opponent leaving.

This would mean that Frisk could beat characters like Ridley, Sephiroth, and Ganondorf with nothing but the power of friendship.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I'll accept any character even Jonesy, but I guess even though I wouldn't mind Cinderace I do think a Gen 8 mon being last would be hella anticlimactic for me.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Counterpoint: the 90’s and Heroes vs Villains tourneys happened long before Sephiroth’s reveal and you could argue he’d fit in both
yeah but the point of the decade tournaments (not the other tournaments, just the decade tournaments) is that it deconfirms the next fighter and not anyone else in the pass. Just that specific fp slot whenever the decade tournament happens.

sephiroth fits the 1990s tournament but the tournament happened 2 fighters before him and not after Steve

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's honestly not too many characters I would not like, I'm open to most characters, but there are a Few I would be against

-Adol Christin. I'm sorry to say, but He seems like the definition of "Generic Anime Swordsman". I respect the History of Y's and the contribution to the Falcom Company, but I can't do with this one. He doesn't look that exciting and his moveset doesn't seem to be that exciting either

...However apparently in his newest Incarnation he does have a Demon Arm thing, which does make him cooler, so if it was that version I'd be more cool with it

-BOTW Zelda. Another Zelda is not something I would look forward too, I rather not.

-Classic Sonic: Same thing with this one, especially since Sonic in Smash is mostly inspired in Moveset by the Classic games anyway

-Nahobino. The thing is in actuality, I actually do think Nahobino looks really cool, and he woud be an interesting character on his own. having said that, The fact Nintendo would rather have Nahobino, from a Game that won't even be out by the time he would be revealed/released, over Legendary characters like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles will rub me the wrong way

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Metroid would be a terrific cartoon. Badass female lead on a quest to destroy the mot dangerous weapon in the galaxy. Something with a dark tone and mood would be really nice. I would love to see Ridley get some more characteriation since despite being a growly creature, the guy is really smart and seeing his more strategic side would be nice.
I’m pretty sure that exists, it’s called Alien (1979)

MarioKartRenderOwner

Smash Cadet
the character i'm against joining is the character YOU want the most and the characters I want are so good to an unbelievable degree it's not even worth talkin about lest I blow your minds! :4pacman:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Per usual, I’m not against anybody joining in the game, because I view such behavior as petty and childish (save for a few justifiable exceptions, maybe I should change my sig to match that). All that matters to me is that the character is fun to play as.
Disliking a character and not wishing to see them in the game is as petty and childish as disliking a song and not wishing to hear it, or disliking a food and not wishing to eat it, which no one would treat as petty and childish, because it's human nature to not like everything.

It only becomes juvenile when you impose your dislike on to others and try to enforce the wider prohibition of that thing simply because of how you feel about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom