• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
This might be a hot take but I find Bandana Dee to be a potentially interesting character if they got in.
You could add the elemental stuff from Star Allies and the parasol and the beam ability. That might not be enough for some people but it's cool to me.
It's also just hard to not like the idea of beating the stuffing out of characters like Sephiroth and Bowser as a little bean with a umbrella.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
I think my least wanted is a toss up between Pokémon and an RPG character that isn't Isaac.

I have nothing against Pokémon other than it has stupid amounts of representation already, and it's just the most obvious choice for Nintendo to make. I haven't played Gen 8, so I have no attachment to any of them. That's not to say other people don't, but can we just...wait til the next one? Thanks.

Then RPG character is kinda funny. I like RPGs, but that doesn't mean I want every RPG character under the sun. I've already got Hero, Cloud and Sephiroth, the only one missing for me is Isaac; that's a personal connection that needs to be realised for me. 18 years of "That would be such a cool moveset to have in Smash." The spotlight on Golden Sun is a bonus at this point.

But screw all you other McJRPGs. I don't want you getting in over Isaac, that sucks. Hero is fine, he's the Grandad of traditional JRPGs and I love him to death. Sephiroth was low key my most wanted Squeenix after Cloud, he's a big deal. Pythra I didn't like, that actually caused me to lose the most hope as I thought the RPG picks were all gone now for Fighters Pass 2. Lloyd from Symphonia, I actually do like! But I knew that if he got in before Isaac I would be so let down, even though I do want him to get there eventually (Isaacbros and Lloydbros for life).

So I'm looking at you, Dragalia Lost, Atelier, PSO, Ys, and SMT. Begone.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ok but like
We might really be in the endgame now

Also happy Sunday everybody : )
If you wanna be more precise, things might end in 3 days :bowsette:

....Wow now that I think about it we spent a long time speculating this game, three and a half years have gone by since Smash for Switch was announced. I'm gonna miss speculation once the final character is revealed, it's gonna be the end of an era.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know after Pass one had a lot of stuff leaked and Pass 2 opened with the whole ARMS roster tease (of which realistically it could only have been four of them max), it's been oddly refreshing to have most of Pass 2 be complete and utter unknowns. After Min Min I could have guessed there'd be a Xenoblade 2 rep but besides from that, it was all surprises that make sense in hindsight.

Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman, Sephiroth, Kazuya all brought in stuff that Smash felt like it was missing but we were too wrapped up in other stuff to see.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Tabuu as a playable fighter would be cool
But hear me out:

WoL expansion pack: Tabuu comes back and is the main baddy

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just find the idea of a playable "Smash OC" pointless when that's pretty much what the Mii Fighters are.

Like yes, they're Miis, but their movesets are entirely original (as opposed to taking stuff from Wii Sports/Wii Play/etc), their logo is the Smash emblem, and their victory themes are even renditions of the Smash 4 theme and Lifelight in Ultimate. They were clearly designed as a way for people to insert their OCs into the game.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If they were to add a Sony character to this game who would you pick?

My top 2 are Kratos and Nathan Drake just because I feel like Kratos is a natural pick and I love the Uncharted games.
I’m going to be the only person to ever say this but Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy is not only my most wanted Sony rep but my most wanted overall. It’s a shame that he’s about as close to 0% as possible.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just find the idea of a playable "Smash OC" pointless when that's pretty much what the Mii Fighters are.

Like yes, they're Miis, but their movesets are entirely original (as opposed to taking stuff from Wii Sports/Wii Play/etc), their logo is the Smash emblem, and their victory themes are even renditions of the Smash 4 theme and Lifelight in Ultimate. They were clearly designed as a way for people to insert their OCs into the game.
Oh, that'd be perfect for the final update, porting over the Switch version of Miitopia's makeup system.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm actually more interested in who people do NOT want/ Worst ideas they have heard.

Some of mine:

• All four champions as one character. In addition to this having nothing to do with them in game (they aren't linked in any way as fighters), if they were going to do this- Sakurai might as well go ahead and make four separate characters.
  • Another Pokemon Trainer. "Let's just go ahead and steal the one thing that makes another character specifically unique! But this time, let's do it in a less iconic way!"
  • Undertale: it just bothers me. I don't see why this is the game that would get a character, if we breeched this topic. We have also already gotten to 2 culturally relevant things from it- Sans and Megalomania. It's fine to want an Undertale character, but it seems foolish of me when people think of it as a prediction.
  • Porky/ Anymore Earthbound. Again- find to want in my eyes (not all on this list are, to me), but thinking it is needed or DESERVED... alright. Let's be happy this small, dead series (as great as it is) got as much representation as it has. We have every Nintendo-made RPG series in Smash already (short of Fossil Fighter, a sleeper series), except GOLDEN SUN. C'mon!
  • Chun Li. She may be on my list, too...perhaps 100 characters down... but if we are going for female gamechangers in video games- there are better options. If we are going for Video Game icons, let's go to a new series.
  • EMMI/ Metroid Dread or Prime character. It's so amazing that Metroid got buffed involvement in this new game! How about spreading that love to other series, particularly ones that have been even more monetarily profitable and culturally impactful? Donkey Kong is here...
Characters I don't want? Well, my most hated character was Heihachi and he was deconfirmed hard with the Mii Costume so that's a plus. As for other characters like a Fortnite rep, Nabohino or Demifiend, and promotional picks from Nintendo like a BOTW rep or Gen 8 Pokemon, I don't think they're happening because of the development timeline for Ultimate and that all the DLC characters were picked by the end of 2018 and negotiations concluded the following year. That, and Nintendo already had 1/3 or roughly 1/2 of the pass with Pyra and Mythra, so a lower key 3rd party pick would be more plausible at this point

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Oh, that'd be perfect for the final update, porting over the Switch version of Miitopia's makeup system.
If Nintendo's next system includes a Mii Maker, they better give us an option of which music we want to use for it. Between the Wii...
...the 3DS...
...or the Wii U music (my personal favorite).

Ok but like
We might really be in the endgame now
Yeah... if the final character gets revealed soon, it might be game over for this speculation page.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If they were to add a Sony character to this game who would you pick?

My top 2 are Kratos and Nathan Drake just because I feel like Kratos is a natural pick and I love the Uncharted games.
Ratchet and Clank or Kat from Gravity Rush.

There's a lot of fun to be had with R&C's varied weapon arsenals and Kat is a precious bean who need to be brought back into the limelight.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm actually more interested in who people do NOT want/ Worst ideas they have heard.

Some of mine:

• All four champions as one character. In addition to this having nothing to do with them in game (they aren't linked in any way as fighters), if they were going to do this- Sakurai might as well go ahead and make four separate characters.
  • Another Pokemon Trainer. "Let's just go ahead and steal the one thing that makes another character specifically unique! But this time, let's do it in a less iconic way!"
  • Undertale: it just bothers me. I don't see why this is the game that would get a character, if we breeched this topic. We have also already gotten to 2 culturally relevant things from it- Sans and Megalomania. It's fine to want an Undertale character, but it seems foolish of me when people think of it as a prediction.
  • Porky/ Anymore Earthbound. Again- find to want in my eyes (not all on this list are, to me), but thinking it is needed or DESERVED... alright. Let's be happy this small, dead series (as great as it is) got as much representation as it has. We have every Nintendo-made RPG series in Smash already (short of Fossil Fighter, a sleeper series), except GOLDEN SUN. C'mon!
  • Chun Li. She may be on my list, too...perhaps 100 characters down... but if we are going for female gamechangers in video games- there are better options. If we are going for Video Game icons, let's go to a new series.
  • EMMI/ Metroid Dread or Prime character. It's so amazing that Metroid got buffed involvement in this new game! How about spreading that love to other series, particularly ones that have been even more monetarily profitable and culturally impactful? Donkey Kong is here...
  • Ryu Hayabusa. Some people have soured him for me, including a former friend
  • Nahobino. Same as above but without the former friend angle
  • Jonesy. I’m not big on Fortnite, simple as
  • Bubsy. Not that I think he’ll happen anyway
  • Mortal Kombat character, I just don’t think they’ll fit. Extreme violence is their whole character
  • An Overwatch/Diablo/Warcraft rep in particular as they’re associated with the more problematic half of Activision Blizzard and given their current state… yeah. Crash I can forgive somewhat as he’s more Activision

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

Some of mine:

Doomguy- I didn't care about him at first but the Caccomallow leak is real thing kinda soured my view.
Geno- Same reason as above.
Any Mortal Kombat character- Mainly out of not really interested in MK series as a whole.
  • Jonesy. I’m not big on Fortnite, simple as
  • Bubsy. Not that I think he’ll happen anyway
What CureParfait & Rie said, but also including Tails, Eggman, any Gen 8 Pokemon, or any Monster Hunter related character/monster. Especially the latter considering how much Capcom has milked Monster Hunter to death at this point.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't think they're happening because of the development timeline for Ultimate and that all the DLC characters were picked by the end of 2018 and negotiations concluded the following year. That, and Nintendo already had 1/3 or roughly 1/2 of the pass with Pyra and Mythra, so a lower key 3rd party pick would be more plausible at this point
All the DLC characters being picked in 2018... I thought there were rumors spread by Imran Kahn that a second pass was never even finalized until mid-2019. And even if you want to say Sakurai initially said 1-2 bonus characters were the original idea, we still have 4 more characters beyond that. The Byleth showcase also pretty much said that the characters for pass 2 were finalized pretty close to when that aired in November, so the pass 2 roster very likely weren't finalized in 2018. That and a gen 8 pokemon does line up with pass 2's finalization with this in mind as they've historically gotten concept art for pokemon characters to select from before they even star in a game so.. Not that I want one, but this idea isn't really true when you factor in what we know and seems more like arbitrary roadblocking for blatant shills tbh, even if it only puts one of them back in the running, other evidence not withstanding.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Have Master Hand be stamina-based no matter the type of match it is for everyone else. Scale him down just a tad, give him two jumps, and make him extremely floaty. Have him usually not flinch to anything - but at damage intervals, crashing to the ground (thus getting screwed over if it happens while he's offstage) and laying there for about one second flat.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Some sort of asymmetrical Smash mode with the likes of playable Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and some of the various bosses would be pretty cool. No replacement for having them as actual fighters, but it'd be something.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well mine are

• Freddy Fazbear and other FNaF related stuff: Not a fan of the series and have no interest in a Smash trailer with jumpscares.
  • DOTA/LOL characters: I am a bit interested to see how they could translate over but I am not a fan of MOBAs as they communities make the game toxic to play (Like getting kick for wanting to play a non-meta hero)
  • Fortnite: I am not a fan on the thing that Epic has become ever since this game got big. Must say, it'll be something to see how they can do a Fortnite moveset without guns and without stepping on Steve's non-existent toes.
  • Chorus Kids: I want a Rhythm Heaven character but I have no idea how these creepy things got so far ahead in Smash speculation when there's many more RH characters that represent the series better.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Some of mine:

Waluigi, Overwatch, The Last of Us... that's about it, really.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Have Master Hand be stamina-based no matter the type of match it is for everyone else. Scale him down just a tad, give him two jumps, and make him extremely floaty. Have him usually not flinch to anything - but at damage intervals, crashing to the ground (thus getting screwed over if it happens while he's offstage) and laying there for about one second flat.
If we are to try to make Master Hand a fully balanced character, I think it’d be better if he is prone to flinching and limited knockback. Unless his stamina pool is absolutely puny, it means you can’t just throw out moves for free and armor through everything (remember that his frame data is way less reactable as a player) , it makes it so that your opponent can get more satisfying follow-ups, plus the knockdown state would be pretty frustrating on the player’s side.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
We’ll know if we’re getting a character reveal on Tuesday night since they do the tournament events. If they skip the tournament event on Tuesday then we might genuinely have an idea that the reveal is this week. If we get the event then it’ll be safe to say no reveal surely.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarioSonicman14
Switch FC
SW-0999-5855-7663
We’ll know if we’re getting a character reveal on Tuesday night since they do the tournament events. If they skip the tournament event on Tuesday then we might genuinely have an idea that the reveal is this week. If we get the event then it’ll be safe to say no reveal surely.
I don't think that matters at all
we got the announcement for a tournament event the day before the February Direct, which is also the day before Pyra/Mytrha were revealed
The same thing happened with Kazuya as well, albeit the day of the reveal.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I thought there were rumors spread by Imran Kahn that a second pass was never even finalized until mid-2019
Second Chance Theory if anything should've been a hint against this. Look at how every single character/franchise in FP2 is something Sakurai considered before 2018.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
we got the announcement for a tournament event the day before the February Direct, which is also the day before Pyra/Mythra were revealed
(remembers that Pyra & Mythra were revealed on my birthday)
Around these parts, they call me ''Lucky Left Arm''..jpg

A big flex, I know... but one that was worth it.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Second Chance Theory if anything should've been a hint against this. Look at how every single character/franchise in FP2 is something Sakurai considered before 2018.
A hint at the DLC being finalized in 2018 or mid-2019? I think I've just completely confused myself by making the reply you quoted lol as I thought it was just common knowledge that nothing was finalized in 2018 aside from pass 1. Now that I think about it, suggesting that the second pass was finalized in 2018 whilst negotiations finished in 2019 is kind of absurd as they wouldn't have finalized anything until they got the rights to use a character from a third party, not that it was done here but the message I made beforehand kind of suggested that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
we got the announcement for a tournament event the day before the February Direct, which is also the day before Pyra/Mytrha were revealed
Ohh right I didn’t realise that happened. I take it all back people then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom