• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It definitely looks better, though I question why it doesn't look like this:
This looks infinitely better than even the improvements they've made on the game's actual look thus far.

I'm also kind of worried that the new evolutions and forms for this game will just straight up never be seen again, but hopefully that doesn't happen.
I quickly skimmed through the direct to check out that part, and as someone who's really into the idea of models accurately simulating sprites and hand-drawn animation, now I'm kinda bummed we're not getting a style like that. I think they nailed the shading and outlines extremely well; Just speed up the framerate a little and we're golden.
That's because the final character is Rugal
But not just regular ol' Rugal, not even Omega Rugal

It's God Rugal
god.png

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I don't know if this has EVER been brought up here.

But where's the Marco spirit with Terry?

Is a standalone Metal Slug spirit event on the way?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Now you, I like the way you think. I thought for sure Metal Slug would get at least a Mii Gunner costume.
At the least. But what it TRULY deserves is the SV-001 itself being a Fighter, with Marco, Tarma, Eri and Fio driving it, Bowser Jr.-style.

1629332619837.png

Is a standalone Metal Slug spirit event on the way?
Maybe Tactics will get one.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I quickly skimmed through the direct to check out that part, and as someone who's really into the idea of models accurately simulating sprites and hand-drawn animation, now I'm kinda bummed we're not getting a style like that. I think they nailed the shading and outlines extremely well; Just speed up the framerate a little and we're golden.
I think Pokémon specifically could highly benefit from it too. Of course, they can't do it exactly like ArcSystem Works does (animating 400+ Pokémon by hand? No way is that happening.) but they don't really have to in order to still get a really good looking result, and I think going for a specific artstyle like that will probably help with the artstyle clash issues that the games have been having.

EDIT: Although, for everything to be truly fixed they do have to get a bit better at optimization. We know they're competent environmental designers (or at least, they're really good at designing linear environments) since a good number of areas look pretty good, but when it comes to more open areas they don't seem to be able to do much without tanking the framerate so they tend to just...not when it comes to designing the area.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Let's enjoy these last few weeks while they last because we're finally nearly at the end of this ride until supposedly the next game.

Shroob

Sup?
Assuming the Direct airs within the first 2~ weeks of September, we could be possibly 3 weeks away from the train entering its last station for now.

Even though I took a break in the period between Smash 4 and Ult, it really does feel like a chapter on the series is about to close. It started all the way back with Smash 4, and is finally coming to an end.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Now you, I like the way you think. I thought for sure Metal Slug would get at least a Mii Gunner costume.
The lack of a Metal Slug Gunner costume and a Soul Calibur Swordfighter costume will never fail to blow my mind. And not a single costume from Rareware to go along with B&K either?

I'd love to just be a fly on the wall during these meetings, man...

Shroob

Sup?
The lack of a Metal Slug Gunner costume and a Soul Calibur Swordfighter costume will never fail to blow my mind. And not a single costume from Rareware to go along with B&K either?

I mean, look at Street Fighter. Chun Li and Guile? No costumes?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
No, I am talking about a trainer being the physical fighter aided by the pokemon and its items.
During taunt parties in Brawl I used to attack PT lol but yeah this would be interesting to see implemented. Like his b special could be about summoning a Pokemon that is controlled something like Luma maybe.

Baba

Smash Journeyman

The second Banjo was announced I was positive we'd get a Mumbo swordfighter to go with him. Could have even been a full helmet like Sans.
We could have gotten so many cool Rareware costumes.

I'm still holding out hope that if the last character is another Microsoft rep, they'll come with some rareware costumes that just took some extra time to negotiate.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't think I'm getting on the next station. This stop is mine, I'm gettin' off. I've had a lot of fun but I think Ultimate is where I'm givin' things a rest when it comes to Smash. I'll still be into Smash of course, but not nearly to the same extent as I have been for a long time, I'd say.
I've really enjoyed things though. Kind of surreal to think it's almost over; we're like, two Smash for lifecycles deep into things.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just a couple of things to touch on to help you guys speculate in our final hours.

1. Whoever it is was pursued sometime in early 2019, since they needed time to negotiate and start work on them by the time of the announcement of more DLC in September. People like to point towards January or February as this is after the Joker hype influx as well as during that weird delay we had before we started getting the DLC. So, any character that didn't exist or wasn't really being pushed by the community during this time or had no general popularity that existed then or prior to is off the table. This of course excludes Nintendo shilling their own stuff.

2. They were chosen as the last character for the game, which is Sakurai's biggest game yet with the most success, and is a tribute to Iwata. As always, Sakurai intends it to be his last, so while Smash has gone out on a whimper typically this really is being setup for a big pick.

3. FP2 has yet to select a character that appeals to the core audience that has been around since Brawl or earlier. They don't have to of course, but it's honestly the last group to have a reason to buy the pass if they haven't already, and considering the negative press they've been getting this would be the way to end off the pass with a bang and get back some trust.

4. With all the names that have been spread within the past couple months, it's likely that the character has already been leaked, so the odds are high it's been a character named by one or more persons.

5. The chances of it being an indie character are very low, since they seem to be dedicated Mii Costume slots, with the best being Shovel Knight as a base game Assist Trophy.

I believe that if you try to speculate within these guidelines, you will be closer to who the character ends up actually being, but feel free to speculate however you chose. We only have a couple more weeks as it is anyway, so we will know soon enough.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just a couple of things to touch on to help you guys speculate in our final hours.

1. Whoever it is was pursued sometime in early 2019, since they needed time to negotiate and start work on them by the time of the announcement of more DLC in September. People like to point towards January or February as this is after the Joker hype influx as well as during that weird delay we had before we started getting the DLC. So, any character that didn't exist or wasn't really being pushed by the community during this time or had no general popularity that existed then or prior to is off the table. This of course excludes Nintendo shilling their own stuff.

2. They were chosen as the last character for the game, which is Sakurai's biggest game yet with the most success, and is a tribute to Iwata. As always, Sakurai intends it to be his last, so while Smash has gone out on a whimper typically this really is being setup for a big pick.

3. FP2 has yet to select a character that appeals to the core audience that has been around since Brawl or earlier. They don't have to of course, but it's honestly the last group to have a reason to buy the pass if they haven't already, and considering the negative press they've been getting this would be the way to end off the pass with a bang and get back some trust.

4. With all the names that have been spread within the past couple months, it's likely that the character has already been leaked, so the odds are high it's been a character named by one or more persons.

5. The chances of it being an indie character are very low, since they seem to be dedicated Mii Costume slots, with the best being Shovel Knight as a base game Assist Trophy.

I believe that if you try to speculate within these guidelines, you will be closer to who the character ends up actually being, but feel free to speculate however you chose. We only have a couple more weeks as it is anyway, so we will know soon enough.
For 3, I don't exactly think Nintendo planned their passes to have backlash and then account for that to "make it up to people" with a following character release. Hell I don't even see them acknowledging any kind of "negative press" especially when lately they've been getting pretty big thumbs up by everyone for pass 2 so far.

Shroob

Sup?

If the character was chosen in 2019, they'd have no knowledge of any future "negative press".

And like, what negative press exactly? Aside from people bemoaning "Too many anime swords" like they usually do, a lot of the negative press associated with FP2 boils down to longterm fans not getting a pick that appeals to them, the 1st party characters being "Shill picks", or "Minecraft bad". Which like, again, if the character was chosen 2 years ago, I severely doubt they even considered any of those(Or frankly, cared).

All things considered, outside of the hardcore Smash fanbase, I've seen an extreme amount of praise in regards to FP2.

And like, I think most people are already basically thinking along these lines.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Going by this:

I think they've covered the major characters: there's Ghirahim, the Imprisoned, Demise, Groose, Fi, and Loftwing. They don't have Skyward Sword versions of Link, Zelda, or Impa, but I'm not sure if that would be worth having an entire spirit event for.
Looking at all of them, it's kind of depressing how little there is from the NES games. It's just original Link and a Like Like, while Zelda II is ignored entirely.

Their illustrations are pretty underappreciated.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
He's just standing there...

MENACINGLY!
GET OUT OF THERE, SPONGEBOB!
Haohmaru has never been playable in KoF, and Nakoruru's only playable appearances in it are XIV and the Game Boy version of 95.
Haohmaru, who was originally planned to be in KoF '95 & '96 with Nakoruru (at least on the console versions, because we know about her Game Boy appearance) & Galford: "Am I a joke to you?"
I can't tell if this is a joke...
No, I'm serious about this. There's a character who appeared Samurai Shodown 5 known as Rera that's actually based off of a variation of Nakoruru that's appeared in pretty much EVERY SamSho game that isn't 5 (in Samurai Shodown 6, both Rera and Purple Nakoruru - whom Rera is based on - appear). In canon, Rera is actually Nakoruru's darker alter-ego, who isn't afraid to kill when protecting nature, and the only ones who can see her are Nakoruru herself, Galford, and Rimururu - Nakoruru's sister.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom