• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Silver lining, people aren't tearing into one another in quite the same way, and solace within a fandom known for being at one anothers' throats is more than worth the speculation slowdown for me.
You know, if the community wasn't so immature in both the sense of taking things that aren't insults as insults and also in the sense of not ACTUALLY insulting someone just because they love a character and want them in Smash, you could have had this solace since the beginning of speculation.

Goes to show the maturity of the community and the desperation for gratification and justification more than anything else honestly.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Now it seems we are using the information given from a Twitter leaker who is clearly full of **** and has apparently stolen information from previous leakers, much like others like Vergeben, Sabi and hotgirlvids69, and using that to discredit another leak simply because it claims some sort of content after CP11.
Who did Verge stole his info from?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, do we still believe Mii Costumes disconfirm...like, even in the slightest? It just feels like and take on that has been exhausted by Sakurai himself at this point, so I'm curious about what new angle anyone may have came up with to keep the argument 'alive'.
One doesn't need to concoct new reasoning as if arguments had some arbitrary expiration date when the existing reasoning still stands.

You know, if the community wasn't so immature in both the sense of taking things that aren't insults as insults and also in the sense of not ACTUALLY insulting someone just because they love a character and want them in Smash, you could have had this solace since the beginning of speculation.

Goes to show the maturity of the community and the desperation for gratification and justification more than anything else honestly.
Meanwhile...
This ** kills me, Fortnite isn't good enough for Nintendo to give them something like this, eat ** Fortnite!

Somewhere a chorus of 8-year-olds threw a tantrum and begged their mommies to fix something they can't. This pleases me greatly.

It's okay kids, your funny block man got in, so you can just live with that massive success and shut up about that stupid blonde boy.
Perhaps someone who shows up to say things like this when not casting aspersions on the thread ought to pontificate less about maturity and civility.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Silver lining, people aren't tearing into one another in quite the same way, and solace within a fandom known for being at one anothers' throats is more than worth the speculation slowdown for me.
That is a true point, oddly many people I talk to about Smash seem content. I expected another Byleth situation along the lines of “Massive character or Bust” for CP11. So far even twitter seems bearable.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
That is a true point, oddly many people I talk to about Smash seem content. I expected another Byleth situation along the lines of “Massive character or Bust” for CP11. So far even twitter seems bearable.
And then another "Obscure Ecchi Animu Swordie" makes CP11 while the last couple of Miis are all popular choices like Crash, Chief, Slayer, etc. If that comes to pass, then the Twitter outrage will make Byleth look like Banjo in comparison.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Huh, so last time I checked in here, people were talking about Rayman's chances despite three months prior or so we got valid information that deconfirmed him. I guess people just really like him and want him to break out of the ice on Battlefield that badly.

Now it seems we are using the information given from a Twitter leaker who is clearly full of **** and has apparently stolen information from previous leakers, much like others like Vergeben, Sabi and hotgirlvids69, and using that to discredit another leak simply because it claims some sort of content after CP11.

Are we that desperate to not get anything more from Smash? Personally, any character I could possibly want still hasn't shown up yet, so I'd be okay with more content. This isn't even about calling Sakurai a liar, because I believe him: he's gone on record numerous times just flat out saying this is the end after CP11, and I have no reason to doubt him personally. However, we keep being giving ample examples of companies and figureheads lying to us about their plans, so it makes me wonder if Nintendo has more plans for Smash this life cycle.

I mean, it would be super easy to pull a Capcom here, and this would be a situation in which both Stupid Hunter and 50 Coin could be right: Street Fighter V is no longer called that in title, it's now called Street Fighter V: Championship Edition and now you can buy that, which is the base game and all the DLC up until this newest pass with Akira and Oro, patches and the like included. The new pass is still separate, but you get like four passes of DLC for the same price as the original buyers got SFV in it's base with no arcade mode and horrible netcode.

Also, do we still believe Mii Costumes disconfirm...like, even in the slightest? It just feels like and take on that has been exhausted by Sakurai himself at this point, so I'm curious about what new angle anyone may have came up with to keep the argument 'alive'.
I mean... this is Nintendo we're talking about. They're a bit notorious for being behind on the latest trends. Plus, with how much Sakurai has insisted this is THE last character, it'd be false advertising at this point if he revealed otherwise.

Also, nothing has changed to suggest DLC Mii Costumes don't deconfirm. That includes the one I know you want playable, but I won't mention their name because you didn't mention them in your post, and it'd feel wrong to call them out in particular.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Man I know I'm at the risk of sounding repetitive but I just have to say that NEO TWEWY has ****ing shattered all expectations for me and I highly recommend checking the game out if you haven't already, I have a feeling Neku's gonna be a less niche request with Rindo following suit in the future
I'm hearing about this game quite a bit and I'm probably gonna need to play the original to understand everything, so I'd like to ask:

I hear Final Mix is inferior to the original DS version, but how inferior is it in comparison? Is it at least tolerable enough, or is it outright bad?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I mean, Tekken already confirmed that Mii Costumes don’t deconfirm Series or Company, but the core logic of “If this character is being made a fighter why make them a Mii?” Still holds true.

We know Sakurai is fine with going back to DLC Miis once the cycle is over, since Rex was originally going to be the XC2 rep instead of Pyra and Mythra. However, since the entirety of Pass 2 was decided and locked in, it’s unlikely to assume any of those miis are on the table due to the earlier logic.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
hey guys…

hate to break to you but none of your most wanteds are getting in as our last character is, 101%….

The Sims

It’s a total lock, the series is massively popular in the West and has mediocre popularity in Japan which helps it as Nintendo wants to expose japanese players to the Sims and the woohoo they do

Best selling and highly awarded game. Iconic, and the Sim would be totally fun with a build a house mechanic, buying ****, getting electrocuted or crying cause they peed on the floor, or using Simlish speech bubbles fir the ftilt. And they call in the Grim Reaoer fit the FS. See! Amazing fun.

Please get Simville or something like that as a stage. A new house and neighborhood each match.

It’s happening. Most importantly cause I said it’s happening so it will happen.

🍺

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
hey guys…

hate to break to you but none of your most wanteds are getting in as our last character is, 101%….

The Sims

It’s a total lock, the series is massively popular in the West and has mediocre popularity in Japan which helps it as Nintendo wants to expose japanese players to the Sims and the woohoo they do

Best selling and highly awarded game. Iconic, and the Sim would be totally fun with a build a house mechanic, buying ****, getting electrocuted or crying cause they perf on the floor, or using Simlish speech bubbles fir the ftilt. And they call in the Grim Reaoer fit the FS. See! Amazing fun.

Please get Simville or something like that as a stage. A new house and neighborhood each match.

It’s happening.
The DLC Starts with Piranha plant and ends with...

COWPLANT

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The DLC Starts with Piranha plant and ends with...

COWPLANT

Could happen…we got far less iconic characters…like joker, hero, Terry, sephiroth banjo, and steve. Total nobodies compared to Cowplant and the Sims. Maybe only Byleth surpasses the iconancy of the Sims.

Edit: didn’t want to double post but Smash would be. On. FIRE. When the Sims are included. Following image is an imagining of said community when they Sims are revealed soonish.

1628400640598.gif

on.FIRE!

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Damn actually, Venus' posts got me thinking about a Sims character more seriously

I made a stage mockup a while ago

The stage would be a solid platform in the middle with a bunch of Objects from the sims scattered in the background, The clouds behind may also part to reveal a World map from a game.

Weather Patterns can also change as well as the game

and I am thinking of other characters like Bonehilda could be fun or a character called Sim and each alt could be a different sim that appears throughout the series like the alts could be
1. Bella Goth
2. Don Lothario
3. Miss Crumplebottom
4. Vladislaus Straud
5. Dina Caliente
6. Bob Pancakes
7. Nancy Landgraab
8. Kylo Ren Tragic Clown

Last edited:

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Damn actually, Venus' posts got me thinking about a Sims character more seriously

I made a stage mockup a while ago

and I am thinking of other characters like Bonehilda could be fun or a character called Sim and each alt could be a different sim that appears throughout the series like the alts could be
1. Bella Goth
2. Don Lothario
3. Angela Pleasent
4. Vladislaus Straud
5. Dina Caliente
6. Bob Pancakes
7. Nancy Landgrab
8. Kylo Ren Death
Don't forget Sunny The Tragic Clown!!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So we're talking the Sims? Well, if you consider that series and SimCity as part of the same conjoined franchise like Mario and DK, then I think Dr. Wright could be the most likely candidate.

This is literally just nonsense, my vaguest memory of the Sims is where my brothers wound up killing off an entire family in Bustin' Out and making a Pagan graveyard in 2.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Plus, with how much Sakurai has insisted this is THE last character, it'd be false advertising at this point if he revealed otherwise.
You mean, like that time we were told there is no new Switch model in development, and got the OLED a couple of months later?

This isn't a new practice, it's what industries are forced to do.
hey guys…

The Sims

Best selling and highly awarded game. Iconic, and the Sim would be totally fun with a build a house mechanic, buying ****, getting electrocuted or crying cause they peed on the floor, or using Simlish speech bubbles fir the ftilt. And they call in the Grim Reaoer fit the FS. See! Amazing fun.

It’s happening. Most importantly cause I said it’s happening so it will happen.

🍺
I actually do have a Sim as one of my top 25 Third Party characters- it is a mostly untapped genre- with only Animal Crossing having any simulator reps, it is a revolutionary title known far beyond the gaming audience, it has insane sales, and actually- Nintendo is a partial owner.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
One doesn't need to concoct new reasoning as if arguments had some arbitrary expiration date when the existing reasoning still stands.

Meanwhile...

Perhaps someone who shows up to say things like this when not casting aspersions on the thread ought to pontificate less about maturity and civility.
I mean, you can take hyperbole literally if you like, that's up to you. I tend to hyperbolize how I feel about something to bring humor to it, something that is difficult to do when text is the sole form of communication, made even more difficult with company that automatically defaults to a negative opinion of you.

To be fair though, I don't actually hate the game that much, even though I do think it's incredibly manipulative of children. Between that and it's success causing Epic Games to be short sighted and kill off a game I was much more invested in, I have no qualms about it. It has it's own level of appeal, it's own level of skill, and it gets a lot of cool stuff.

Though I can understand why you would assume I have an irrational hatred toward a video game, as it seems the irrational is more commonplace, but having said that I would figure my open-mindedness of Ultimate's inclusions and insightful posts with deeper thinking would suggest that I tend to be less reactionary than your average internet user.

I will say that Fortnite not getting a character in Smash is simply a victory for everyone though, as it's proof that Minecraft achieved something outstanding and that run-of-the-mill games who have momentary popularity don't equate that and that Nintendo hasn't fallen so low as to capitalize on something like that in the faces of their fans.

As for the Mii Costume thing, you are just flat out wrong. You have been proven wrong on the existing reasoning multiple times, it's just that you changed from the initial quota many times already that you have probably forgotten already. The original quota was 'If any content from the franchise of the character you want exists in the base game, they have no chance.' and after that failed when ARMS was announced it was changed to 'Content of your character kills their chance'...which then also failed with Min Min. Then it was changed to exclude Spirits from the base game, a literal PNG, but Mii Costumes and Assist Trophies were the death sentence for sure. So, just to clarify, Mii Costumes weren't even the starting point of the argument, and this stance already failed twice, yet the mindset is the same.

However, a simple dive into Sakurai's previous development attempts proves that he has always attempted to get the 'main character' from a game or franchise to best represent the series in Smash. This means that, when he went forward to negotiate for ARMS, Spring Man was on the table and clearly who he was going into the negotiations for originally, even though Min Min was the most popular and Ninjara was his personal favorite. It was the producer's wishes and ideology that won Sakurai over to choose Min Min in the end. This very fact alone means that neither his AT nor his costume stopped him from being chosen, but let's get to the more obvious ones.

Sakurai said that the game can't handle Rex AND one of the girls moving and fighting about at the same time at any given time, so instead of scrapping the character they made a design choice to just pick the girls and include Rex in what areas they could. Now, does that sound like it has anything to do with his costume? Don't forget, this was when the narrative changed the quota again: now it was 'Third Party costumes deconfirm, but not First Party' and no single person could give a real answer to back that up. It was a silly argument that was simply adjusted to fit what had happened without any sound logic behind it, because logic at this point would suggest that costumes just aren't a deal breaker.

Then, we got Kazuya, and Sakurai said he was chosen because of the Devil Gene which allowed more creative freedom to make him truly fit into Smash. If you recall, Heihachi was attempted for Smash 4 but they couldn't do it to satisfaction, and so it seems a similar situation happened and they went with Kazuya instead. Once again, we have proof that Heihachi's costume had nothing to do with it, so that kills the argument again...yet, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the quota was changed to 'costumes of the character deconfirm the character themselves but not other from the franchise' I believe? What a pitiful state this argument is in, it is barely recognizable from it's original state, and honestly it makes no sense.

So first off, this contradicts it's previous form, which was that 'First Party Don't, Third Party Do' because now it includes first Party costumes again...which was something you guys already ruled out. It also is just wrong, because of all the information we have that points out that the costumes had nothing to do with their exclusion, which is essentially calling Sakurai a liar, something you guys chew people's asses about when they suggest Sakurai could be doing when it comes to content after CP11. This means that you are making the same claim as those who bring evidence for more content past CP11 but insist that they cannot make such a claim while you can...rules for thee but not for me.

Let me add something else: this implies that every single costume was chosen with the intent that these characters we not getting in. In other words, you are implying all the costumes were chosen after all the characters, which we not only don't know for sure but actually have evidence that this isn't the case with the returning costumes. Having every single Third Party costume return in random intervals is proof they always planned to return them all in some way, something that does not require characters to be chosen beforehand but rather just choosing where and when the costumes return.

Finally, this train of logic doesn't even fully apply to returning costumes, as they didn't have to be freshly made for this game. We have viewed them as killing off a characters chances since Smash 4 because, at that time, they were new and there was no reason to make a costume and the character playable (other than money of course). However, when you combine the fact that they were not new and had very little changes made to them with the fact that they were all planned to return and thus wouldn't interfere with character decisions, returning costumes really don't have the same weight as brand new ones. This would be even more true for them and for costumes that came out this cycle for the next game of the series or even more DLC, were it to happen. Also, the simple answer again, if they think they can make good money off it they should do both a costume and the character just to make that much more money, and of course they should do the costume first because it will get more sales than if it releases with or after the character.

In other words, assuming a character has a lesser chance just because of other content related to them appearing in the game while development for the game is still actively ongoing is foolish, as anything can change. Such gatekeeping is folly and too broad in scope. Focusing on the specific pros and cons to each character's chances is a much more efficient way to get closer to the answer, as well as thinking in terms of the company and as a developer rather than with the mind of a fan and removing your own biases. For example, both Sephiroth and Kazuya had signs from a while back: Cloud lacking a lot of content in comparison to other packs, Sakurai dissatisfaction with this, and the overwhelming success of FF7R coupled with Square's more consumer-friendly approach were all obvious signs for Sephy while Heihachi's failing to be added in Smash 4, the success of Tekken 7 and how much help Bamco has been with aiding in the development of the last two Smash titles being perfect signs for Kazuya.

I think plenty of these signs are out there for CP11 as well, so we should all have it narrowed down by now, though I suppose time will tell soon enough.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One other interesting point that's slipped us by:

When the final character is released, then there can finally be a community effort to put together a tier list. Game's been pretty well balanced, at least in comparison to pervious games but it'll be interesting to see where online monsters end up falling when lag is taken out of the equation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
One other interesting point that's slipped us by:

When the final character is released, then there can finally be a community effort to put together a tier list. Game's been pretty well balanced, at least in comparison to pervious games but it'll be interesting to see where online monsters end up falling when lag is taken out of the equation.
Man, I really do not look forward to the competitive crowd declaring my favorite characters either broken or trash and then whine about them nonstop until the next game develops its meta.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, you can take hyperbole literally if you like, that's up to you. I tend to hyperbolize how I feel about something to bring humor to it, something that is difficult to do when text is the sole form of communication, made even more difficult with company that automatically defaults to a negative opinion of you.

To be fair though, I don't actually hate the game that much, even though I do think it's incredibly manipulative of children. Between that and it's success causing Epic Games to be short sighted and kill off a game I was much more invested in, I have no qualms about it. It has it's own level of appeal, it's own level of skill, and it gets a lot of cool stuff.

Though I can understand why you would assume I have an irrational hatred toward a video game, as it seems the irrational is more commonplace, but having said that I would figure my open-mindedness of Ultimate's inclusions and insightful posts with deeper thinking would suggest that I tend to be less reactionary than your average internet user.

I will say that Fortnite not getting a character in Smash is simply a victory for everyone though, as it's proof that Minecraft achieved something outstanding and that run-of-the-mill games who have momentary popularity don't equate that and that Nintendo hasn't fallen so low as to capitalize on something like that in the faces of their fans.

As for the Mii Costume thing, you are just flat out wrong. You have been proven wrong on the existing reasoning multiple times, it's just that you changed from the initial quota many times already that you have probably forgotten already. The original quota was 'If any content from the franchise of the character you want exists in the base game, they have no chance.' and after that failed when ARMS was announced it was changed to 'Content of your character kills their chance'...which then also failed with Min Min. Then it was changed to exclude Spirits from the base game, a literal PNG, but Mii Costumes and Assist Trophies were the death sentence for sure. So, just to clarify, Mii Costumes weren't even the starting point of the argument, and this stance already failed twice, yet the mindset is the same.

However, a simple dive into Sakurai's previous development attempts proves that he has always attempted to get the 'main character' from a game or franchise to best represent the series in Smash. This means that, when he went forward to negotiate for ARMS, Spring Man was on the table and clearly who he was going into the negotiations for originally, even though Min Min was the most popular and Ninjara was his personal favorite. It was the producer's wishes and ideology that won Sakurai over to choose Min Min in the end. This very fact alone means that neither his AT nor his costume stopped him from being chosen, but let's get to the more obvious ones.

Sakurai said that the game can't handle Rex AND one of the girls moving and fighting about at the same time at any given time, so instead of scrapping the character they made a design choice to just pick the girls and include Rex in what areas they could. Now, does that sound like it has anything to do with his costume? Don't forget, this was when the narrative changed the quota again: now it was 'Third Party costumes deconfirm, but not First Party' and no single person could give a real answer to back that up. It was a silly argument that was simply adjusted to fit what had happened without any sound logic behind it, because logic at this point would suggest that costumes just aren't a deal breaker.

Then, we got Kazuya, and Sakurai said he was chosen because of the Devil Gene which allowed more creative freedom to make him truly fit into Smash. If you recall, Heihachi was attempted for Smash 4 but they couldn't do it to satisfaction, and so it seems a similar situation happened and they went with Kazuya instead. Once again, we have proof that Heihachi's costume had nothing to do with it, so that kills the argument again...yet, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the quota was changed to 'costumes of the character deconfirm the character themselves but not other from the franchise' I believe? What a pitiful state this argument is in, it is barely recognizable from it's original state, and honestly it makes no sense.

So first off, this contradicts it's previous form, which was that 'First Party Don't, Third Party Do' because now it includes first Party costumes again...which was something you guys already ruled out. It also is just wrong, because of all the information we have that points out that the costumes had nothing to do with their exclusion, which is essentially calling Sakurai a liar, something you guys chew people's asses about when they suggest Sakurai could be doing when it comes to content after CP11. This means that you are making the same claim as those who bring evidence for more content past CP11 but insist that they cannot make such a claim while you can...rules for thee but not for me.

Let me add something else: this implies that every single costume was chosen with the intent that these characters we not getting in. In other words, you are implying all the costumes were chosen after all the characters, which we not only don't know for sure but actually have evidence that this isn't the case with the returning costumes. Having every single Third Party costume return in random intervals is proof they always planned to return them all in some way, something that does not require characters to be chosen beforehand but rather just choosing where and when the costumes return.

Finally, this train of logic doesn't even fully apply to returning costumes, as they didn't have to be freshly made for this game. We have viewed them as killing off a characters chances since Smash 4 because, at that time, they were new and there was no reason to make a costume and the character playable (other than money of course). However, when you combine the fact that they were not new and had very little changes made to them with the fact that they were all planned to return and thus wouldn't interfere with character decisions, returning costumes really don't have the same weight as brand new ones. This would be even more true for them and for costumes that came out this cycle for the next game of the series or even more DLC, were it to happen. Also, the simple answer again, if they think they can make good money off it they should do both a costume and the character just to make that much more money, and of course they should do the costume first because it will get more sales than if it releases with or after the character.

In other words, assuming a character has a lesser chance just because of other content related to them appearing in the game while development for the game is still actively ongoing is foolish, as anything can change. Such gatekeeping is folly and too broad in scope. Focusing on the specific pros and cons to each character's chances is a much more efficient way to get closer to the answer, as well as thinking in terms of the company and as a developer rather than with the mind of a fan and removing your own biases. For example, both Sephiroth and Kazuya had signs from a while back: Cloud lacking a lot of content in comparison to other packs, Sakurai dissatisfaction with this, and the overwhelming success of FF7R coupled with Square's more consumer-friendly approach were all obvious signs for Sephy while Heihachi's failing to be added in Smash 4, the success of Tekken 7 and how much help Bamco has been with aiding in the development of the last two Smash titles being perfect signs for Kazuya.

I think plenty of these signs are out there for CP11 as well, so we should all have it narrowed down by now, though I suppose time will tell soon enough.
Sephiroth getting in had literally nothing to do with FF7R's success. In fact, in regards to FF7R, Sakurai himself stated that development on Seph's trailer began before the game came out, meaning the character had been chosen long before the game came out:

Sakurai said the 2nd pass characters had been decided back in 2019, likewise, FF7R didn't even come out until April 2020, an entire year after the DLC would have already been decided and rights hashed out, and he himself admits that development of the trailer had started before the game came out. You can't use FF7R's success as "evidence" for Sephiroth's inclusion when Sakurai basically says development on him had started before the game had even come out.

That's all, that's all I wanted to say irt this, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
How's it a victory exactly? I don't like fortnite, but I know that it's massively popular. Its popularity isn't momentary either, it's not as big as it was a few years back, but it's still more popular than most games.

Spring Man was on the table and clearly who he was going into the negotiations
What makes you think that? All Sakurai said was that Spring Man wasn't actually the only protagonist and that he wanted either Min-Min or Ninjara.

Third Party costumes deconfirm, but not First Party
I've literally not heard a single person say that.

Heihachi's costume had nothing to do with it, so that kills the argument again
Or maybe, they chose to sell the costume after deciding he wouldn't be the character? Selling a costume, and then the same character later would be a stupid decision, since people would be annoyed that they essentially paid for the same character twice, and the first one was inferior.

which is essentially calling Sakurai a liar
How? He never said anything about mii costumes deconfirming or not. Rex's costume was sold over 2 years before he would have been a character, and it wasn't even an individual purchase, it was a bonus for getting the pass.

this implies that every single costume was chosen with the intent that these characters we not getting in.
Yes, because there would be no reason to do both. The characters are obviously chosen before the costumes, since they're a more expensive and time consuming piece of content than a costume, with rights for the character, stage, spirits and music needing to be negotiated for. The one costume that they considered making a character, Rex, was made a costume before they even considered making a second pass.

the overwhelming success of FF7R
Ah yes, the success of a game that hadn't even released when the second pass was finalised.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Sephiroth getting in had literally nothing to do with FF7R's success. In fact, in regards to FF7R, Sakurai himself stated that development on Seph's trailer began before the game came out, meaning the character had been chosen long before the game came out:

Sakurai said the 2nd pass characters had been decided back in 2019, likewise, FF7R didn't even come out until April 2020, an entire year after the DLC would have already been decided and rights hashed out, and he himself admits that development of the trailer had started before the game came out. You can't use FF7R's success as "evidence" for Sephiroth's inclusion when Sakurai basically says development on him had started before the game had even come out.

That's all, that's all I wanted to say irt this, nothing more, nothing less.
Damn, I forgot about that. It's just like earlier today when I forgot that Tres Casas got delayed as well, I keep forgetting about game delays.

You are just flat out right about that one, although you could chalk up the fan reception of information and the general hype behind the release as part of it, but I messed up on that bit. My bad.

Some stuff worth answering.
It's 6AM my time and I still haven't tried to get any sleep yet, so rather than take the chances of making another mistake like with FF7R, I'm going to jot down in a notepad to answer you after I get up and do some deliveries.

There, I have 'Respond to TheLamerGamer' jotted down and, since I just quoted you, it will be easy for me to find you post.

However, as a quick response, I see yet again that people's experience here being niche as Smash being the only 'fighting game' they've played or only sticking to things on a Nintendo console is showing a bit here, as you clearly haven't experienced a game tossing in references or content of a character that you can spend money on only to have the character come after. Short answer: makes more money this way, which frankly is more important than many of y'all realize, but this is the quick and easy answer to only one portion of what you brought up. I'll give you a more thorough one later.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Man, I really do not look forward to the competitive crowd declaring my favorite characters either broken or trash and then whine about them nonstop until the next game develops its meta.
True, I don't much care for the elitism of it all but I do like seeing where characters end up and how the status of their smash power effects the characters going forward. Like how Melee Fox's shines and "HI-YAH" has become iconic of him, how Meta Knight ended up as a melee character in Brawl, Diddy Kong going for funny monkey to zero to death horror, and how we as a species still haven't recovered from Smash 4 Bayonetta.

It's all part of the mythos.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Smash being the only 'fighting game' they've played or only sticking to things on a Nintendo console
Sure, I don't play other fighting games as often as Smash, but I do still play them. And I use my playstation far more than my switch, so I definitely don't stick exclusively to Nintendo consoles.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
The strongest Smash character in canon (outside of silly 4th wall things) is either Shulk or Pyra/Mythra for reasons that are heavy spoilers for their games.

At the end of Xenoblade 1, Shulk defeats Zanza, who is a God with unlimited power over not only the universe Shulk is in, but also many others according to Xenoblade 2 lore. He does so by overpowering Zanza, who is in hold of Alvis, a sort of administrator for the multiverse since Xenoblda is kinda a compute simulation. Shulk takes an hold of Alvis by overpowering Zanza (and so Alvis himself), which gives him the power of a God, which he uses to erase all gods from existence so that mortals can live free of their wrath.

Pyra and Mythra have a true form called Pneuma, who is Alvis's equal. So not much else to say here.

Who's stronger between Shulk at his strongest and Pneuma is pretty much up to interpretation since they have the same powers, but Shuk does have more raw strength.
I guess you're unfamiliar with Kirby Planet Robobot, huh?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm hearing about this game quite a bit and I'm probably gonna need to play the original to understand everything, so I'd like to ask:

I hear Final Mix is inferior to the original DS version, but how inferior is it in comparison? Is it at least tolerable enough, or is it outright bad?
I never played the original as my copy got sent to China and never arrived but docked mode is perhaps the worst control scheme I played on a video game as the joycons get desynced every couple of seconds and you can't play any other way when docked, the original game also makes use of all the DS's features, sleep mode, microphone, all sorts of **** which helps the narrative. I still had a ****ing excellent time on it all things considered

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I still dont nderstand how being a god means beating Kirby. Eldritch abominations and gods are its usual enemies.
The thing is less about Shulk and Pneuma being gods in their endgames, but rather the scale they act on. In Kirby, the scale is pretty much galaxy wide but can be argued to be on an universal size, while in Xenoblade it's on a multiversal scale said to be at least countless, but implied to be infinite.

Understanding that gods don't all oper on the same scale is kinda tricky to get at first, but a series that makes it pretty easily understandable is Touhou (I swear this isn't becoming a Reimu plug-in, the series is just good at making you get that gods don't all have the same power level). An example of that is that while there's many gods in the series, a power relation between them is pretty clearly established. For example, Kanako Yasaka is established as being far stronger than Suwako Moriya, despite how they're both depicted as pretty important goddesses. In an ending of Touhou 15, Kanako says that Sagume Kishin, the stage 4 boss of Touhou 15 and who's a lunar goddess, would destroy her in a fight. And also in Touhou 15, we also meet Hecatia Lapislazuli, who is directly said by ZUN to be far stronger than any other characters in Touhou at such a big scale that it basically doesn't matter if Hecatia fought any other character from the series since they're too weak to even hurt her a little bit. Basically a scale between the gods is established in the series, and it's clearly said that some of them are massively stronger than others.

Or if you want to just see it in one the game, Touhou 10, you fight gods as the bosses of stage 1, 2, 6, and the Extra stage, and the laters are clearly stronger than the earlier ones.
I guess you're unfamiliar with Kirby Planet Robobot, huh?
I am, and I know very well about the infinite power. Problem is that many video game characters have similar statement, including, well, those I talked about in the post you quoted.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So Who do you think will gonna be the last fighter?
Right now my gut says Arle. My predictions have been all over the place recently in my mind but Arle is a constant so I'll says it's her. I would like to think it's Phoenix Wright but I don't dare predict him so that way I don't get my hopes up. But when the final Smash presentation arrives I'll probably just stick my mind to Pokemon or someone like Rean to keep my expectation in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom