• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai and Nintendo have never said anything against characters who are assist trophies being fighters as DLC. They could also just do what they do for background characters and what they already do for ATs on some stages: disable them if the fighter is selected, and this is assuming they even care if they both show up.

There’s no evidence to suggest they can’t happen aside from the fact they haven’t happened yet, which is literally the argument people used for spirits and Western third-parties; they certainly may not happen, but these don’t sound like good reasonings, and it’s not like them being ATs already would be why they weren’t chosen when there’s other factors at play…

And if you ask me, they certainly aren’t completely against them if they were fine with sorta promoting
Bomberman and using the same model…

Last edited:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
just because they haven’t said “oh and btw if a character gets Mii costumed they aren’t going to be playable” doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense based off what we’ve seen.

on a side note, I wonder if people’s attitudes towards miis will change once the DLC is finished. Because I don’t think they were ever designed to “disconfirm characters” (in fact I have my doubts the higher ups really care about that side of smash hype at all) but instead, as 3bit said, to throw a bone to “characters that probably weren’t chosen in the first place"

I hope people do come around to them cuz at the end of the day I think they are pretty cool.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
just because they haven’t said “oh and btw if a character gets Mii costumed they aren’t going to be playable” doesn’t mean it doesn’t make sense based off what we’ve seen.

sakurai straight up said he wanted Rex to be part of the duo, but then did Mythra instead when he finally worked on a Xeno2 character. Call it a coincidence if you want.
iirc the idea was that they wanted Rex with Pyra and Mythra but it would be more work than the Ice Climbers so they just settled on Pyra and Mythra (this was all mentioned in the presentation). It sounded like his mii costume didn’t matter, which makes sense as it was very likely decided on before Pass 2 was decided on or even planned.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
iirc the idea was that they wanted Rex with Pyra and Mythra but it would be more work than the Ice Climbers so they just settled on Pyra and Mythra (this was all mentioned in the presentation). It sounded like his mii costume didn’t matter, which makes sense as it was very likely decided on before Pass 2 was decided on or even planned.
To be fair, the Rex Mii Costume was a unique case. It was only available in FP1, and apparently there's evidence to suggest it was supposed to be a base game costume.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

sakurai straight up said he wanted Rex to be part of the duo, but then did Mythra instead when he finally worked on a Xeno2 character. Call it a coincidence if you want.

on a side note, I wonder if people’s attitudes towards miis will change once the DLC is finished. Because I don’t think they were ever designed to “disconfirm characters” (in fact I have my doubts the higher ups really care about that side of smash hype at all) but instead, as 3bit said, to throw a bone to “characters that probably weren’t chosen in the first place"

I hope people do come around to them cuz at the end of the day I think they are pretty cool.
My thoughts about it are that Mii Costumes are up for renegotiation once a new phase of content happens.

Sakurai wasn’t going to make Rex a fighter in FP1 because it was in the plan he would be a mii. Or Vice Versa. It makes no sense to spend dev time on making a costume of a character you know you’ll make later. But after that revisiting the concept seems to be on the table.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
sakurai straight up said he wanted Rex to be part of the duo, but then did Mythra instead when he finally worked on a Xeno2 character.
Not to mention, during the Kazuya direct when the Mii costumes were revealed (Dante, Shantae, the Skyrim protagonist, and even Lloyd), he acknowledged the fact that they were popular amongst the fans.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

"Pokemon Stadium" released today in 1998 !! The overseas version of Pokémon Stadium is coming from "2". Software that works with GB Pokemon and can fight on TV. 40 out of 151 types of Pokemon were available at that time. Nowadays, hundreds of Pokemon battles are included in one software, so it's amazing. It's an era !! #Smash Bros SP

FreeFox

Smash Lord

"Pokemon Stadium" released today in 1998 !! The overseas version of Pokémon Stadium is coming from "2". Software that works with GB Pokemon and can fight on TV. 40 out of 151 types of Pokemon were available at that time. Nowadays, hundreds of Pokemon battles are included in one software, so it's amazing. It's an era !! #Smash Bros SP
I love the stadium games. I still like to play the minigames with a few close friends when there is a chance. So much content in sucha small package
Until generation 8 came and ruined it by killing most pokemon for very arbitrary reasons.

kylexv

Smash Master

To elaborate on what Sakurai is saying here, the international Pokemon Stadium is actually Japan's Pokemon Stadium 2. Japan got a different Pokemon Stadium game before that only included select Pokemon.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Don't forget about the minigames, which I admit I spent far, far more time on than the actual main stadium modes.

Makes me wonder if Smash could have minigames featuring the fighters. That'd be a lot of fun in a future game.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
How is the progress going? If I may ask.
It's coming alright.

I still haven't actually done any of the animations yet, because I've been trying to make sure the in-game appearance is decent.

I think I've gotten to that point of it not look weird. (Well, I hope lol.)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here's something I think should be discussed.

What characters or franchises are Japanese fans really pushing right now.

I know Sephiroth and XC2 and Dante were all very popular over there, but what characters are popular right now, post Kazuya?

osby

Smash Obsessed

I know Sephiroth and XC2 and Dante were all very popular over there, but what characters are popular right now, post Kazuya?
A Ayumi Tachibana recently posted a poll about that. It's a small sample size but reflects what we know of the Japanese Smash fans. Sora, Bandana Dee, Arle Nadja, Reimu Hakurei and 2B are all popular picks.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
then what is the biggest mystery of smash?
Honestly- I think the biggest mysteries are things along the lines of, "Who almost made it? What modes were considered to be in? Were any characters going to function another way?" (etc on this topic). A lot of the 'what could have beens.'
I don't register a spirit's png to be of any consequence at all.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
honestly do mii costumes even deconfirm ?
New mii costumes PROBABLY do because they’re new and not returning. If you have plans to make a certain character playable then you’d hold off new mii costumes from that franchise till their reveal and you’d just bring back the returning ones.

I’m under the impression old mii costumes don’t deconfirm a series but potentially the character itself like we saw with heihachi where the series wasn’t deconfirmed but heihachi himself was.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Sakurai acknowledging Pokemon Ranger in an anniversary would be sick

Also, yea, going off of who’s seemingly being pushed for in Japan, I saw Arle, and we’ve been saying SEGA could get that final spot.
Who knows tho

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sakurai acknowledging Pokemon Ranger in an anniversary would be sick

Also, yea, going off of who’s seemingly being pushed for in Japan, I saw Arle, and we’ve been saying SEGA could get that final spot.
Who knows tho
Slightly unrelated, but I just remembered the series turns 30 this year, if I'm not mistaken.

Kinda wishing for a POTD mention, even if it means nothing regarding newcomers.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Slightly unrelated, but I just remembered the series turns 30 this year, if I'm not mistaken.

Kinda wishing for a POTD mention, even if it means nothing regarding newcomers.
That makes me wonder
He's never done it yet to my knowledge, but it'd be cool if Sakurai just started celebrating anniversaries of games with 0 Smash content either because of their legacy or simply because he likes them.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That makes me wonder
He's never done it yet to my knowledge, but it'd be cool if Sakurai just started celebrating anniversaries of games with 0 Smash content either because of their legacy or simply because he likes them.
To be fair, he probably doesn't do it so people don't jump on it as evidence.

After DLC is finished, it would be fun tho.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Question guys, imagine for just a second that we will get 2 third party characters from the same company in FP2. So, that means that CP11 is either a Microsoft, Square-Enix or Bandai-Namco rep, who do you want???

Microsoft - Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Marcus Phoenix, Battletoads, etc
Square-Enix - 2B, Geno, Chrono, Sora, etc
Bandai-Namco - Agumon, Chosen Undead, KOS-MOS, The Prince, etc.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Question guys, imagine for just a second that we will get 2 third party characters from the same company in FP2. So, that means that CP11 is either a Microsoft, Square-Enix or Bandai-Namco rep, who do you want???

They add Geno as the final character. Geno fans get the last laugh.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

I know for sure they are pushing for Sora

osby

Smash Obsessed

Microsoft - If Bethesda properties count now that Microsoft bought them, Doomguy could be interesting to see. If nothing to see him interact with Isabelle.
Square-Enix - Too many good options but I'd go with 2B.
Bandai-Namco - I'd like to see someone from Tales, preferably Yuri or Velvet.

toonito

Smash Ace
Do you think MMX Zero and MMZ Zero would work as alts of each other?

IMO not really because of body structure and their moves are different.

IIRC MMZ Zero (on right) in addition to the sword has access to energy chains, whips, rods, a shield, etc. MMX Zero mainly uses the sword and buster cannon.

(MMX Zero moves in UMVC3)

(MMZ Zero moves in SNK vs Capcom Chaos)

the 2 videos give a possible insight as to how they might work in Smash if included.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom