• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Do you think MMX Zero and MMZ Zero would work as alts of each other?
Nah, they've not been so far. In addition to what toonito said:

MMX Zero has not come with a MMZ alt nor vice versa when they've appeared in fighting games (yes, MMZ Zero has also appeared in two fighters - Onimusha Blade Warriors alongside Megaman.EXE and SvC Chaos). Besides, their respective weaponry are very different from each other - with the Z-Saber being the only unifying weapon. They do share some techniques too, but you also have cases like Genmu Zero and Rekkouha (MMX) and the shockwave projectiles in Zero where the techniques are exclusive to one version.

MMX Zero primarily uses the Z-Saber with his arm cannon becoming increasingly secondary (and eventually removed) while MMZ Zero not only has techniques for his Z-Saber but also his other weapons - meaning that they'd presumably play differently.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Slightly unrelated, but I just remembered the series turns 30 this year, if I'm not mistaken.

Kinda wishing for a POTD mention, even if it means nothing regarding newcomers.
The man's given his criteria out before, he only acknowledges games if they have some form of content in the game that an ingame pic can be taken of and as Puyo Puyo has nothing, that's surely not to happen. Case and point, this reasoning explains why XCX didn't get acknowledged by him, no excuse for Monolith though smh

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question guys, imagine for just a second that we will get 2 third party characters from the same company in FP2. So, that means that CP11 is either a Microsoft, Square-Enix or Bandai-Namco rep, who do you want???

Microsoft - Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Marcus Phoenix, Battletoads, etc
Square-Enix - 2B, Geno, Chrono, Sora, etc
Bandai-Namco - Agumon, Chosen Undead, KOS-MOS, The Prince, etc.
I’d just add the following to your list;
Microsoft - Ori
Square Enix - Neku
Bandai Namco - Nightmare, T-elos

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Xenoblade X is a figment of our imaginations
Just because it's true doesn't mean you have to say it.

Sidenote, I came across this video recently
Can't believe I got convinced on a gen 8 mon being potentially exciting, this guy typically makes some pretty good movesets in general imo, just goes to show you can really change perception with a good sales pitch

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Question guys, imagine for just a second that we will get 2 third party characters from the same company in FP2. So, that means that CP11 is either a Microsoft, Square-Enix or Bandai-Namco rep, who do you want???

Assuming any Mii Costumes introduced during Pass 2 are out, my picks would be:

Microsoft - Master Chief or Joanna Dark
Square Enix - Lara Croft, 2B, Sora, Chrono
Bandai Namco - Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Just because it's true doesn't mean you have to say it.

Sidenote, I came across this video recently
Can't believe I got convinced on a gen 8 mon being potentially exciting, this guy typically makes some pretty good movesets in general imo, just goes to show you can really change perception with a good sales pitch
Good fan-made movesets tend to have that effect. Though if it was up to me, I would put another flaming striker over Cinderace
anime-inazuma-eleven-gouenji-shuuya-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Sakurai acknowledging Pokemon Ranger in an anniversary would be sick

Also, yea, going off of who’s seemingly being pushed for in Japan, I saw Arle, and we’ve been saying SEGA could get that final spot.
Who knows tho
not gonna lie I’d be extremely heartbroken and salty if arle made it in as the next puzzle rep. She doesn’t represent puzzles well and I’d just find it hard not to be salty about it.

Would be a neat addition don’t get me wrong, however when there’s Layton out there who’s whole series is about different types of puzzles and then there’s other puzzle games out there’s that do a whole bunch of puzzles as well it would be hard to accept arle who’s puzzle games are like dr Mario’s and would be upsetting to hear sakurai talk about her puzzle games.

would like to clarify it would be a great addition don’t get me wrong. Would just be heartbreaking to see the puzzle genre done a bit dirty.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Previous statements might be outdated, but they've also never been contradicted, and I suspect they had a role to play in Min Min as a pick, as she doesn't make sense as the first an only pick.
How does choosing the most popular character from a series not qualify as making sense?
Yeah, they had no role with Min Min. We know the information. Yabuki wanted her. If he wanted Spring Man, either we wouldn't get an ARMS character or it'd be him instead. There's zero correlation to the AT and Min Min with no legitimate evidence to base it upon. Yabuki likes both characters. There's an actual huge popularity push that Min Min got that would make it logical for Yabuki to go towards her over Spring Man possibly, sure. There's also Sakurai stating his two personal picks would be Min Min or Ninjara. There's still no evidence that AT has a role. That's baseless. Sakurai completely not saying his AT factor(just that he wasn't the actual main character) is already something that we see isn't really useful information towards the AT factor. It can be easily interpreted as "I didn't really care about the AT thing anyway", which is why he explained the character in the first place. Even then, let's note that Spirits and Mii Costumes were not detrimental to the choices he made(Rex was almost part of the full character, but couldn't get in for technical reasons). Why do AT's stick out with the closest thing to evidence being a statement over 5 years ago that has no relation to Ultimate either way?

Thus, I see zero legitimate evidence Nintendo actually cared about the AT role at any point. This also means we don't know their opinions of AT's, but either way, we do know they care a lot about business and promoting various games too. If they'd ignore an entire notable NPC role(Spirits are actually notable, unlike Trophies), why would they not ignore an AT role? Min Min is not a legit example here as you have to actually put your own personal theory to make it work. You clearly can't prove it, so it does not help your argument or make for a good one. Headcanons are not evidence.

You don't need to prove Sakurai could say no, either. That's so far the only real evidence we have against them not happening, and we can't say it definitely applies to this game, just that it's pretty likely, especially with there being a total of one character left zero AT promotions.
It's also worth noting that Final Smashes are...arguably... a bigger part of the game than ATs. Chrom wasn't removed from Robin's Final Smash. It would have been really easy to do, and makes absolutely no sense to have not been done, if multi-use characters were an issue. But, clearly it isn't an issue.
It's also of note that the Bomberman Mii is almost identical to the AT. This isn't an issue. I would consider these to be the closest things to showing how little being an AT matters.
Spring Man's role as an Assist Trophy was never mentioned, so no, we do not have all the facts.

I believe that were he not an Assist Trophy, he would have been the pick. You cannot convince me otherwise.
That's fine. You cannot convince me that Min Min isn't the face of ARMS, like Pikachu to Pokemon, Scorpion to Mortal Kombat, or Isabelle to Animal Crossing.
Actually when you look at the mario side chaarcter plenty of them have games or play major roles in mario mainline games.
yoshi, peach, bowser, baby luigi, baby mario, toad, toddette, to name some all have been playable in games. waluigi hasnt.
Wario was never a playable Mario character. Neither was Daisy. Nor Piranha Plant, or Bowser Jr, and hell... please tell me where Bowser was even playable. That's quite a lot.

theres no reason for them to include an AT in the 2 trailers if they didn’t have a shot. There’s literally no reason to make people think an AT has a chance if they don’t.
All other things aside- the trailer is also the story of Min Min's final smash. Which includes Spring Man. Again- all OTHER reasoning aside, this is still true.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
not gonna lie I’d be extremely heartbroken and salty if arle made it in as the next puzzle rep. She doesn’t represent puzzles well and I’d just find it hard not to be salty about it.

Would be a neat addition don’t get me wrong, however when there’s Layton out there who’s whole series is about different types of puzzles and then there’s other puzzle games out there’s that do a whole bunch of puzzles as well it would be hard to accept arle who’s puzzle games are like dr Mario’s and would be upsetting to hear sakurai talk about her puzzle games.

would like to clarify it would be a great addition don’t get me wrong. Would just be heartbreaking to see the puzzle genre done a bit dirty.
How the hell does a character from a puzzle game franchise not represent puzzles well? It's ok to prefer Layton, nobody would give you grief for that opinion, but this is something else

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There's certainly no evidence to suggest ATs will be promoted until it happens. That said, it could be a total non-issue, but until they decide to pick one out of that AT roster then we'll never know.
What is the difference between Bomberman getting an exact Mii model from an AT, and from a character getting a moveset? That to me shows pretty strong evidence that AT upgrades are a non-issue.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
How the hell does a character from a puzzle game franchise not represent puzzles well? It's ok to prefer Layton, nobody would give you grief for that opinion, but this is something else
because the game itself that arle comes from doesn’t represent puzzles well. It’s basically candy crush. Just constantly matching blocks to make rows. It doesn’t actually represent actual puzzles.

I’d be happy if arle gets in but I’d also be a bit heartbroken as it doesn’t feel the best way to represent the puzzle genre.

There multiple different franchises out there that do puzzles better. It wasn’t a post to say I’d prefer Layton, I was just saying that arle isn’t the best way to represent the puzzle genre just like dr mario isn’t the right way to represent it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Microsoft:/ Master Chief, Doom Slayer (though timing of it being Microsoft is not clear)
Square Enix: Sora, Lara Croft
Bandai-Namco: Agumon, Nightmare

Those are the only acceptable options for me.
Would like to clarify it would be a great addition don’t get me wrong. Would just be heartbreaking to see the puzzle genre done a bit dirty.
"Done Dirty" is the part here with which I take issue... she is perhaps the most heavily wanted puzzle character in the word, but certainly in Japan.
I'd say that's one of the most important factors for a character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Microsoft - Rash/Zitz
Square-Enix - Crono
Bandai-Namco - Nightmare

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Microsoft:/ Master Chief, Doom Slayer (though timing of it being Microsoft is not clear)
Square Enix: Sora, Lara Croft
Bandai-Namco: Agumon, Nightmare

Those are the only acceptable options for me.

"Done Dirty" is the part here with which I take issue... she is perhaps the most heavily wanted puzzle character in the word, but certainly in Japan.
I'd say that's one of the most important factors for a character.
one of the most requested characters. Yes

Does she represent the puzzle genre well. No

her games are basically like candy crush and dr mario where you constantly just gotta make rows with blocks to get rid of the rows. It doesn’t represent puzzles well.

There’s other franchises out there that do the puzzle genre way better. Warioware being a good example which has multiple quick games that require quick thinking to get them done in time and isn’t just 1 type of puzzle that’s constantly replayed.

arle would be a good rep to have. Got no problems with that. She just doesn’t represent the puzzle genre properly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
because the game itself that arle comes from doesn’t represent puzzles well. It’s basically candy crush. Just constantly matching blocks to make rows. It doesn’t actually represent actual puzzles.

I’d be happy if arle gets in but I’d also be a bit heartbroken as it doesn’t feel the best way to represent the puzzle genre.

There multiple different franchises out there that do puzzles better. It wasn’t a post to say I’d prefer Layton, I was just saying that arle isn’t the best way to represent the puzzle genre just like dr mario isn’t the right way to represent it.
Except that Puyo Puyo and Tetris are what we know puzzle games as, not to mention that it'd most likely be a part of Arle's gameplan, meaning her gameplay would include an element of puzzling unlike Layton who's puzzles are random riddles or mathematics which wouldn't even be seen as his moveset but rather stuff like swordfighting or the slot machine gun. It doesn't help that you seem to be unaware that combining 3 of the same colour isn't what makes you win in Puyo Puyo but rather setting up to make multiple chains all at once.

Again, this comes across as simply prefering Layton but making up a more 'objective' reason why Layton would be better, like, I can say Neku would be a better JRPG character than Pythra because his game has a more typical DnD structure than XB2, it's a nonsense argument.

Dr. Mario is a literal clone without a unique moveset, literally tacked on to pad the roster with low effort clones, I fail to see what makes him a valid comparison, it'd be like saying Layton would be a Mii Swordfighter clone because he can fight with a sword while Miis can wear hats

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Candy Crush is one of the top selling mobile games- after Clash of Clans and Pokemon Go.
So.... I feel that's a fair thing to keep in mind.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Except that Puyo Puyo and Tetris are what we know puzzle games as, not to mention that it'd most likely be a part of Arle's gameplan, meaning her gameplay would include an element of puzzling unlike Layton who's puzzles are random riddles or mathematics which wouldn't even be seen as his moveset but rather stuff like swordfighting or the slot machine gun. It doesn't help that you seem to be unaware that combining 3 of the same colour isn't what makes you win in Puyo Puyo but rather setting up to make multiple chains all at once.

Again, this comes across as simply prefering Layton but making up a more 'objective' reason why Layton would be better, like, I can say Neku would be a better JRPG character than Pythra because his game has a more typical DnD structure than XB2, it's a nonsense argument.

Dr. Mario is a literal clone without a unique moveset, literally tacked on to pad the roster with low effort clones, I fail to see what makes him a valid comparison, it'd be like saying Layton would be a Mii Swordfighter clone because he can fight with a sword while Miis can wear hats
this wasn’t a post to say Layton would be better over arle. Where are you even getting that from. I never even mentioned Layton being a better pick than arle. My point was there’s better ways to represent the puzzle genre. I never even mentioned the Layton franchise. Please don’t take my post out of context because I never said Layton was a better choice and I never even brought up Layton

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I think what Theguy123 is trying to say is that it would be like saying duck hunt is good FPS representation. It might fall within the genre but its totally not the best example to represent the genre as a whole.
thankyou. Someone understands.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Does she represent the puzzle genre well. No
Counter argument:
The most widely known, highest grossing, history containing, and familiar puzzle games are represented by Arle's games.
This seems to represent the genre quite well.

Does Crash represent the Platform genre better than Mario, simply because Crash games are known to require more precise platforming skill?

Halo and Doom have more historical significance to the FPS than Layton has to puzzles.
Doom/ Wolfenstein are why games started to be created in 3 dimensions.
Halo created a new boom in the gaming industry.

Layton didn't have a big impact on the gaming industry. He is just from a beloved franchise.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
this wasn’t a post to say Layton would be better over arle. Where are you even getting that from. I never even mentioned Layton being a better pick than arle. My point was there’s better ways to represent the puzzle genre. I never even mentioned the Layton franchise. Please don’t take my post out of context because I never said Layton was a better choice and I never even brought up Layton
I'm saying it sounds like an artificial reason to make your favourite better and yeah, you did bring up Layton

I think what Theguy123 is trying to say is that it would be like saying duck hunt is good FPS representation. It might fall within the genre but its totally not the best example to represent the genre as a whole.
I mean, is any single character the best way to represent their given genre? The obvious answer is no, especially as puzzle games don't even have a proper character yet meaning you can add 5 from different franchises and none would represent the genre any better than the other

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Counter argument:
The most widely known, highest grossing, history containing, and familiar puzzle games are represented by Arle's games.

Does Crash represent the Platform genre better than Mario, simply because Crash games are known to require more precise platforming skill?

Halo and Doom have more historical significance to the FPS than Layton has to puzzles.

Layton didn't have a big impact on the gaming industry. He is just from a beloved franchise.
my post or point wasn’t even about Layton. Where did you get that from???

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, I'd be fine with any puzzle character taking a small step into the Smash puddle for now, be it Arle, Layton, Captain Toad, or maybe even Lip.

It's crazy that we've been 5/6 Smash games in, and even Tetris is barely acknowledged outside of some spirits and couple old Brawl remixes. I'm not saying give it a character, but at least a Stage or Assist Trophy would be nice...

Heck I'm not sure if Sakurai ever even acknowledged his very own Meteos game in any Smash game outside of some vague reference with some Subspace enemy...

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Counter argument:

I will point out that there is quite a bit of range in the puzzle genre. If I were to put still images of Puyo Puyo besides Professor Layton , Brain Age and Braid, most people would think they arent all the same genre. Arle´s game is a bit closer to Doctor Mario, who people may argue already represents a portion of the puzzle genre and I undertsnad wanting to show a different side of the genre.

I'm saying it sounds like an artificial reason to make your favourite better and yeah, you did bring up Layton

I mean, is any single character the best way to represent their given genre? The obvious answer is no, especially as puzzle games don't even have a proper character yet meaning you can add 5 from different franchises and none would represent the genre any better than the other
No. Obviously not. But I can understand wanting show other variations on the genre.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
her games are basically like candy crush and dr mario where you constantly just gotta make rows with blocks to get rid of the rows. It doesn’t represent puzzles well.
The thing is those are puzzles. Much like how sudokus and crosswords are puzzles. It's just that with games like Tetris and Puyo Puyo it's all different iterations of the same puzzle format, rather than every puzzle being different like in Layton. With that in mind Layton games actually have more in common with the puzzle elements of adventure games than the "puzzle genre". There aren't many games like Layton so to call him more representative of a genre is odd.

The best way I can think to put this is that Arle is more representative of the puzzle genre, whereas Layton would be more representative of actual puzzles.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I mean... Puyo Puyo is, what, 20~25 years older than Candy Crush? Sure, Matching isn't the only genre of puzzles, but it is one of the most popular ones.

And hoo boy, if you think Puyo is too simple or uninteresting because of that, well...

Competitive Puyo relies heavily on setups - to such an extreme that it can be hard for someone on the outside to even understand what the hell is going on. That alone would make for a very interesting puzzle rep, I assureyou.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'd be fine with any puzzle character taking a small step into the Smash puddle for now, be it Arle, Layton, Captain Toad, or maybe even Lip.

It's crazy that we've been 5/6 Smash games in, and even Tetris is barely acknowledged outside of some spirits and couple old Brawl remixes. I'm not saying give it a character, but at least a Stage or Assist trophy would be nice...

Heck I'm not sure if Sakurai ever even acknowledged his very own Meteos game in any Smash game outside of some vague reference with some Subspace enemy...
The most notable, albeit kind of vague and non-copyright-infringing gameplay relevant Meteos reference in Smash currently is that the X Bomb item’s explosion (not the bomb itself, since the bomb casing is from Kid Icarus Uprising, just the explosion) appears to be based on either the X Bomb‘s or Cross Bomb’s explosion in Meteos, depending on which way it is turned when it explodes. Sakurai specifically mentioned that this X Bomb should not be confused with the Meteos one in the Miiverse pic of the day where it was revealed. The actual X Bomb in Kid Icarus Uprising doesn’t explode like that; it instead launches four orbs in a cross pattern that bounce off of walls.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
The thing is those are puzzles. Much like how sudokus and crosswords are puzzles. It's just that with games like Tetris and Puyo Puyo it's all different iterations of the same puzzle format, rather than every puzzle being different like in Layton. With that in mind Layton games actually have more in common with the puzzle elements of adventure games than the "puzzle genre". There aren't many games like Layton so to call him more representative of a genre is odd.

The best way I can think to put this is that Arle is more representative of the puzzle genre, whereas Layton would be more representative of actual puzzles.
I wasn’t referring to Layton. I was just saying that there’s better ways to represent the puzzle genre than matching blocks to clear paths. If arle got in I wouldn’t mind.

She represent the puzzle genre which is great. It’s amazing, however to me it would also feel a bit heartbreaking because there’s more to puzzles than just matching blocks so it would feel as if the puzzle genre isn’t being presented strongly. Again that’s just my opinion though.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
OK I think I understand the argument a bit better, but I do disagree with a few points:
There’s other franchises out there that do the puzzle genre way better. Warioware being a good example which has multiple quick games that require quick thinking to get them done in time and isn’t just 1 type of puzzle that’s constantly replayed.
WarioWare isn't a puzzle game. Nothing is difficult to figure out, and the prompts even tell you the correct answer.

I will point out that there is quite a bit of range in the puzzle genre. If I were to put still images of Puyo Puyo besides Professor Layton , Brain Age and Braid, most people would think they arent all the same genre. Arle´s game is a bit closer to Doctor Mario, who people may argue already represents a portion of the puzzle genre and I undertsnad wanting to show a different side of the genre.
Dr. Mario isn't a good representative of the puzzle genre because he doesn't pull anything from it; He has an alternate take on Mario's moveset rather than a moveset based on Dr. Mario.

As for not representing the entire thing, well, the same can be said about RPGs. No one RPG character could represent the whole of RPGs, they're just too different. Would it be fair to say that none of the RPG characters that we have are good representatives of their genre? I don't think so. I think the solution to this problem is more characters, not any specific one.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I have a theory I want to share. This theory could be kind of a stretch since it does kind of involve going against Official Statements, but I have my reasons why
---------------------
I have a theory on how despite Sakurai saying we only have one character left (CP11), that we can still get a Bonus Fighter of Some kind.

It's pretty simple theory, They are going to make the Presence of a Bonus Fighter seem like a "Recent Development" due to the Popularity of Fighter Pass 2.

Pretty much, While Internally the avenue of there being a Bonus Fighter was already a known thing among the Developers, In Public, they are going to have a Bonus Fighter for FP2 as a Direct Result of the response to Fighter Pass 2. Pretty Much Sakurai will "Make an Exception" to FP2 being it because the Support was so great. This will do certain things

-It's Really good PR, having the Fans be the reason that we get more content than intially expected. People love that
-It Adds more Value to the Fighter Pass 2. This would especially be useful as FP2 Concludes near the Holiday season (especially if there is Bonus in line). People will be getting more Switches, which means more Copies of Smash sold, and by Proxy more DLC
-Even if Separate, I Imagine if it's a characters many people want, It will sell good amount as Individual DLC, enough to be considered worth developing after the Initial FP2

I understand that Sakurai has been adamant about the prospect of there only being the 6 Fighters in FP2 before the continuous Development ends, However there's been things said in the past, that if we figure the usual Internal Development of characters, can't really be true

Masahiro Sakurai Explains Why Mewtwo Isn't Paid DLC in Smash Bros. - Nintendo Life

This Article had Sakurai saying that no Paid DLC was in Development. However Considering how quick they were able to Make Lucas, Roy, and Ryu after the Release of Ryu (Including Showing off Lucas, when Mewtwo got his Trailer), and also the avenue of Data relating to Addition of Bayonetta in the update of Mewtwo's Release, there's no way in that short timespan they went from No Planned DLC to being able to so quickly show off some of the further DLC we got

And the Whole Bayonetta situation is a different matter entirely. While I'm sure Bayonetta actually did well on the Ballot, There Early Data placements as well as general timeline of negotiating and developing characters doesn't allow Bayonetta to have been directly chosen from the Ballot

So these situations have shown to have had somewhat of a Plot twist after the fact. What I will say is that I think Sakurai has been more adamant about there being only 1 character currently than any statement made in the Past that seemed to have been Contradicted. That's why I still think this theory is kind of a stretch because Sakuai's statements have been especially strong this time

For why a Bonus Fighter wasn't intially shown at the Beginning, the whole point is that it's a Bonus, which means it doesn't take priority over the Development of the Main content, which is Fighter Pass 2.

If there were to be a Bonus character, I Imagine since it wasn't apart of the initial FP2, it's one that Nintendo has full access to, as well as not needing the extra Supplements like Music and Stages. I have a certain character in mind

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Dr. Mario isn't a good representative of the puzzle genre because he doesn't pull anything from it; He has an alternate take on Mario's moveset rather than a moveset based on Dr. Mario.

As for not representing the entire thing, well, the same can be said about RPGs. No one RPG character could represent the whole of RPGs, they're just too different. Would it be fair to say that none of the RPG characters that we have are good representatives of their genre? I don't think so. I think the solution to this problem is more characters, not any specific one.
He is specifically from a puzzle game which makes him puzzle representation. And I never said he was good representation of the genre. Just that he is.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean... Puyo Puyo is, what, 20~25 years older than Candy Crush? Sure, Matching isn't the only genre of puzzles, but it is one of the most popular ones.

And hoo boy, if you think Puyo is too simple or uninteresting because of that, well...

Competitive Puyo relies heavily on setups - to such an extreme that it can be hard for someone on the outside to even understand what the hell is going on. That alone would make for a very interesting puzzle rep, I assureyou.
TailsGotTrolled.png

Puyo Puyo scares me

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the solution to this problem is more characters, not any specific one.
On this note, what puzzle game characters would you all like? I don't play puzzle games often, but I do have a few ideas:
  • Chell (Portal)
  • The Survivors (We Were Here)
    • Not sure if this is what they were called if they were called anything.
  • Arle (Puyo Puyo)
    • Haven't played this one, but I know of it from speculation.
  • Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
    • Same deal as Arle.
  • Something from PAD (Puzzled and Dragons)
    • It's kind of a gacha game so I'm not too keen on a character from this.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
He is specifically from a puzzle game which makes him puzzle representation. And I never said he was good representation of the genre. Just that he is.
But if he's terrible at actually representing what he represents (If you don't know about Dr. Mario, then he's just Mario in a funny outfit, not a puzzle game character), and people don't care for him enough to fix that issue (alongside other reasons as to why Dr. Mario wouldn't get a rework), then why would it be a bad thing to add a character who actually does a good job at representing what he's supposed to be representing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom