• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
"Better addition" is subjective, tbh. I like Byleth a lot more than both characters you listed.

That aside, Smash is a Nintendo crossover at heart. It just makes sense to add first-party characters from their newest and hugely popular console rather than just going for third-party characters all the time.
Is this true anymore? Look at your avatar for example. Joker is primarily a Sony IP. Ryu Hayabusa started in the NES era and has a long standing of supporting Nintendo property.

Final Fantasy 7 was never really a Nintendo IP. It only recently got a port to the Switch.

If we wanted to keep it Nintendo, we would have gotten characters like Bomberman, Ryu Hayabusa, Bill from Contra, Dark Mage from Final Fantasy 1, etc.

Also even among first parties, you arguably have characters like Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Toad, Paper Mario, etc. that would have been better options than Byleth. Paper Mario got a new title on Switch.

As stated, people have a right to complain. There is a thread about it in the General Discussion here.

I get that we should be grateful as well but to say the DLC isn't necessarily divisive is not true. This is why people on Discord, Reddit, and even here are complaining about it (more so than I remember complains about Brawl or Smash 4 roster. Then again, they were adding picks like Sonic and Megaman that everyone wanted).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we were gonna get assist promotions it would had been a lot sooner. It's too late in the game for it.
If we were gonna get Crashter Chief it would had been a lot sooner. It's too late in the game for it. Unlike smaller characters which most ATs are.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Well, we don't have the worry about the next wave of Mii Fighters disconfirming our most wanted characters.

The last fighter will do so him/her/itself!
Unless the mii costumes are shown first for some reason. That would be truly terrifying

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's around the time that negotiations for FP2 took place. Also Heihachi's Mii Costume was in Smash 4 and is not new to Ultimate.
That still makes it a Pass 1 event, and Rex's Mii Costume wasn't a factor against him in terms of inclusion. Considering that Spirits likely matter less, the latter point is almost certainly moot.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So who are you guys hoping the last character will be? Not a prediction but someone you want it to be?

Already mentioned it myself above.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With only one slot left to go. This is my hope of who we get as the final character. Not confident on it but gonna pull through its miraclely one of them.

Amaterasu/Phoenix Wright.
I think that Chun-Li would likely get in over both of them because Street Fighter is a much bigger franchise than Okami and Ace Attorney.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
While we're at it, Sakurai also acknowledged the demand for Saki from Sin & Punishment.

He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!
Fast forward to Ultimate 11 years later and they couldn't even bother to bring his assist trophy back lol

Last edited:

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
The reason Waluigi won't happen is because he's a spin-off character from Mario sports games and has no importance. The fact Piranha Plant got in over him shows this. Piranha Plant having more importance because he's one of Mario's most iconic enemies who has appeared in nearly all Mario mainline games.

Even Daisy appeared in Super Mario Run, I recall Nintendo considers that a mainline Mario game.
Mario kart is it’s own separate series in smash ultimate. The mario spino offs are big enough to be their own series in smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That still makes it a Pass 1 event, and Rex's Mii Costume wasn't a factor against him in terms of inclusion. Considering that Spirits likely matter less, the latter point is almost certainly moot.
It's still around the time of Pass 2 negotiations, and I don't know why they would do an RE Spirit Event if they were going to add a RE fighter later.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is this true anymore? Look at your avatar for example. Joker is primarily a Sony IP. Ryu Hayabusa started in the NES era and has a long standing of supporting Nintendo property.

Final Fantasy 7 was never really a Nintendo IP. It only recently got a port to the Switch.

If we wanted to keep it Nintendo, we would have gotten characters like Bomberman, Ryu Hayabusa, Bill from Contra, Dark Mage from Final Fantasy 1, etc.
Joker is a SEGA IP. And I'm not arguing that Nintendo will always prioritize connections to their consoles when adding guest characters. I'm saying that there's nothing inherently wrong or weird about Smash getting Nintendo characters.

I get that we should be grateful as well but to say the DLC isn't necessarily divisive is not true. This is why people on Discord, Reddit, and even here are complaining about it (more so than I remember complains about Brawl or Smash 4 roster. Then again, they were adding picks like Sonic and Megaman that everyone wanted).
People on Reddit are complaining about everything lol. If you think Ultimate roster gets more heat than Brawl and Smash 4, you haven't been there after their final rosters were revealed.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So who are you guys hoping the last character will be? Not a prediction but someone you want it to be?

I'm hoping it will be Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, or Doomguy, though interviews surrounding the last two have me doubting that they'll happen.

Amaterasu from Okami would be great - not my first choice for a Capcom character, but she's easily my second pick for that. (2B would also be nice, but with Sephiroth in Fighters Pass 2, I have my doubts) My predictions are much more pessimistic.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I just hope it's Shadow tbh, his inclusion is long overdue and it's the one character that would make me go ''never asking Sakurai for anything ever again''.

Yes, I wouldn't have any MWs if he got in, just characters I'd like.

TheSwiftLancer

Smash Rookie

My heart says Crash, but my mind says Master Chief. Though in regards to the Chief, I don't think another DLC character from Microsoft is very likley.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
But Chun Li is above all of them when it comes to character chances, especially considering that Sephiroth proves that 3rd party franchises can have multiple unique reps.
Chun-Li isn't just a FGC character. She's one of the most iconic female characters in gaming ever. She got her own movie centered around her (even if it was a flop) and she even became a Power Ranger.
Chun-Li still has a chance. In fact, I see her as more likely than Phoenix Wright.
I think that Chun-Li would likely get in over both of them because Street Fighter is a much bigger franchise than Okami and Ace Attorney.
I think that if we're getting a Capcom rep at this point it's going to be Chun-Li.
I'm starting to get this vibe that you like Chun-Li

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I’m so frustrated by the Waluigi hate comments on this thread. Wonder how this thread will react if he does end up being the last fighter.
It's not really Waluigi hate as it is not wanting to look beyond the same characters they've been trying to predict since FP1 and refusing to realize they're too big for the end of a Smash dev cycle.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about Joker, and... I'm actually pretty disappointed with the Persona music selection in smash. It's exclusively modern Persona (Aria of the soul is based on the P3 version), and even then it's missing loads of iconic music (Life will change, any boss theme other than Rivers in the Desert, any version of Burn my Dread, anything from p3p and spin-offs), and after looking at some of the other dlc music, even though it's not terrible, it's definitely not great.

So, I'm going to make a "better" list of music Persona could have come with.

But I'm not sure how many songs to include so what do you guys think would be a good number of songs to include in the list? Also, should I include games that came out after Joker in smash, because they couldn't be added then, but in an ideal music list now they would be included.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
It's not really Waluigi hate as it is not wanting to look beyond the same characters they've been trying to predict since FP1 and refusing to realize they're too big for the end of a Smash dev cycle.
But saying the Mario spin offs aren’t important just pisses me off…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom