• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I can see both sides of the argument.

Getting a Mii Costume over nothing is a win every time.

However, it would have been more helpful if Smash team could have focused a little more on getting the fan requests in the game over some of the obscure characters in DLC pact.

I think both sides have solid arguments. Also, if you are NOT happy with the quality of something, you should complain to companies about their decision. If I don't like how the new Nissan Altima handles in rain, I should complain to Nissan about it for example.
I mean, I'm sure they would if they could

If Nintendo wasn't the ones choosing the DLC characters, not them.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean, I'm sure they would if they could

If Nintendo wasn't the ones choosing the DLC characters, not them.
Yeah, there is complexity that fans are not considering. Nintendo could have gone after Dante and got a hard no and was asked to put in Ken instead, for example. We have no idea how things transpired.

I will say though that fans of Ryu Hayabusa or Rayman have right to complain. Both Komei-Tecmo and Ubisoft would love to have these IP in Smash based on past content giving to Smash and comments. It sounds like Nintendo said no to them. Perhaps there are technical limitations that makes these characters hard to add, who knows?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm so tired of people still treating the Mii costumes like a murder or something, when in reality with only one character remaining I feel like it should be pretty easy to grasp that had they not gotten a costume these characters would likely not get anything at all. Lots of things about general Smash hype culture draining me lately and making me want to talk about it less.

There are still hundreds of viable characters who probably won't have any presence in Smash that would kill for a sliver of acknowledgment. In this regard I don't get the culture behind poking fun at disconfirmed costumes either, it's still some form of a victory and at least from my perspective it's easy to be happy with something vs nothing when there's only one more opportunity for content after this.

Fortunately though, I've seen a lot of grateful Shantae fans today. I think the music definitely helps seal the deal.
Yeah I never got being mad at your character being Mii'd. Like, it is either that or nothing, and people don't realize that.

Feeling disappointed is okay, though, and I get that. But it's not that bad. I wanted Dante, he got Mii'd and for me that's a "oh, well there it is. Glad he got something!".

I also personally love the memes that come out everytime a fan favorite gets a costume tbh, so I'm enjoying my time with all sort of Dante memes today
Which in a way I feel it's kinda fitting for his character. Anyway, DMC fans are usually pretty chill and funny, and so far I've seen most of them accepting the costume and making fun of it with memes and other jokes.

It would be nice if even after CP11 we still got some new spirits or costumes for unrepped series.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, about that rumor a few pages ago, just to see if I got it right:
  • The "leaker" says that CP11 is a Capcom character that doesn't fight (implying Phoenix Wright).
  • Waluigi is some kind of bonus fighter akin to Piranha Plant.
  • In the final presentation, Sakurai tells us that Volume 2 is the last programmed DLC, but to not be surprised if something shadowdrops a few months afterward.
  • The first of these "shadowdrops" is a Zelda character.
  • They list a bunch of other companies who might get Spirit events, Mii Costumes or new characters as standalone DLC after Volume 2.
...Yeah, I'm pressing F to doubt. Not even X. It seems insane that someone would know all of this in advance, and I'm especially suspicious of the fact that everything they got "right" was incredibly vague with no character names, even.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Ugh, people on some of the Discord server I frequent are being really salty and still claiming Phoenix has no chance after Dante's Mii showed up and saying that Onimusha's sales are enough to disqualify Ace Attorney. Sales aren't everything to determine a character's viability!

Yeah hahaha I... don't hang out in too many Discord places. THIS place is really rough and disrespectful on a GOOD day, even WORSE just after presentations (certain groups of people just hang around post-presentations expressly to fight with people and be rude). I'm personally not too upset to leave after speculation is over if not sooner. The level of camping around to disrespect people and start fights with them that's allowed, honestly makes me not wanna hang around here much. Discords are worse in my experience, it's random nonsense on a GOOD day.

PERSONALLY... I would love Phoenix Wrong, just the idea that he's there at the Defense stand, he KNOWS King K Rool is a bad dude... eventually he just goes "Ah screw it" and punches K Rool

And heck... throw Miles Edgelord in as an alt for Phoenix Wrong as well, Steve/Alex style! Both Attorneys just sorta get up from their stands and punch each other hahaha the judge reacting to the battle as he usually does haha.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like, I get the disappointment for people who were holding out for Dante to be that character. But I think everyone ought to be a little humbled by the fact that it's really anyone's game and it's unlikely that any individual character has a significant leg up over the rest.
Why? A high likelihood of getting shot doesn't make getting shot not hurt.

Kind of a dramatic analogy but my brain was caught up in "wild west" as a term so that's what it came up with.

I think it's telling that the most well received costumes were often the ones that legitimately had 0 hope to begin with (i.e. indies).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can see both sides of the argument.

Getting a Mii Costume over nothing is a win every time.

However, it would have been more helpful if Smash team could have focused a little more on getting the fan requests in the game over some of the obscure characters in DLC pact.

I think both sides have solid arguments. Also, if you are NOT happy with the quality of something, you should complain to companies about their decision. If I don't like how the new Nissan Altima handles in rain, I should complain to Nissan about it for example.
"Fan favorite" and "obscure" aren't mutually exclusive terms. I'd argue that Geno is infinitely more obscure than Sephiroth, yet most fans would only consider the former a fan favorite. Branching out of the hardcore fans' request allows Smash to have a wider appeal and not just tick the boxes of a vocal minority's wishlists.

Even if the Smash team was choosing the characters (hint: they don't, Nintendo does), it's not like they can get full rights to any character like Master Chief just because fans are asking for them.

volbound1700

Smash Master
"Fan favorite" and "obscure" aren't mutually exclusive terms. I'd argue that Geno is infinitely more obscure than Sephiroth, yet most fans would only consider the former a fan favorite. Branching out of the hardcore fans' request allows Smash to have a wider appeal and not just tick the boxes of a vocal minority's wishlists.

Even if the Smash team was choosing the characters (hint: they don't, Nintendo does), it's not like they can get full rights to any character like Master Chief just because fans are asking for them.
True on the comment of complexity but you do know as well as I do that Nintendo had huge fan demands like Ryu Hayabusa or Rayman that the companies would have given to them and they would have been better additions than some of the obscure or less popular additions like Byleth.

Also the fact that Nintendo is able to get Mii Costumes for a popular pick like Dante shows that they might have been able to get the character if pushed.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ugh, people on some of the Discord server I frequent are being really salty and still claiming Phoenix has no chance after Dante's Mii showed up and saying that Onimusha's sales are enough to disqualify Ace Attorney. Sales aren't everything to determine a character's viability!
That doesn't make a lot of sense tbh. Onimusha and Ace Attorney are in completely different situations when it comes not only to Smash: fan demand, Nintendo history... So it doesn't really matter if Onimusha's sales are similar to Ace Attorney's.
Even with that, Capcom usually keeps AA more alive, be it through crossovers, re-releases, special events (even if those are usually japanese only), at least in recent times.

Nothing against Onimusha of course, but that doesn't mean anything against Phoenix Wright and his series.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, we don't have the worry about the next wave of Mii Fighters disconfirming our most wanted characters.

The last fighter will do so him/her/itself!
Presuming that the presentation will take place several days after the initial fighter reveal, the last Mii Fighter wave will be the first and only wave people will actively hoping for their character to be shown.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That doesn't make a lot of sense tbh. Onimusha and Ace Attorney are in completely different situations when it comes not only to Smash: fan demand, Nintendo history... So it doesn't really matter if Onimusha's sales are similar to Ace Attorney's.
Even with that, Capcom usually keeps AA more alive, be it through crossovers, re-releases, special events (even if those are usually japanese only), at least in recent times.

Nothing against Onimusha of course, but that doesn't mean anything against Phoenix Wright and his series.
The heck is Onimusha?

volbound1700

Smash Master
It's worth noting that Dante's Mii Costume was selected before he blew up. It was not a response to the community.
I would say that he has been popular since Smash 4, at least, if not even the Brawl era. Heck he is in Sony's Playstation All-Star Battle Royale (even if it is his alt look).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, there is complexity that fans are not considering. Nintendo could have gone after Dante and got a hard no and was asked to put in Ken instead, for example. We have no idea how things transpired.

I will say though that fans of Ryu Hayabusa or Rayman have right to complain. Both Komei-Tecmo and Ubisoft would love to have these IP in Smash based on past content giving to Smash and comments. It sounds like Nintendo said no to them. Perhaps there are technical limitations that makes these characters hard to add, who knows?
I feel like there are some problems with your reasoning.

Ken is a clone character, no matter how different from Ryu he is. Meaning, it's highly unlikely that he replaced a unique character like Dante.

People in Koei-Techmo and Ubisoft made it clear that they'd love their characters in Smash, true. But so did at least a dozen other developers. Most producers would jump at the chance to get their IPs in Smash but that doesn't mean it's realizable to add all of their characters. I don't think technical limitations played a role in this, it's just you can't always get everything you want.

Also, everyone has the right to complain about Smash, it's not like you need a permit for it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Seeing a character get hit with a Mii Costume sucks in the moment
But then you get over it quickly and you're just grateful that they at least got some form of acknowledgement instead of the sweet nothings that thousands of others get.

And this wave in particular got further acknowledgement with Sakurai mentioning that these characters had a fair bit of demand behind them.
So that's cool. The only real issue I have with Miis is that only a few come with music and/or colour swaps but the former is a cost thing that varies per character and the latter isn't always feasible so it's all understandable in the end.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is the second time in like 3 days you complained about this very thing. Just ignore it

Sidenote I watched M2K's reaction to the presentation and he did not recognize Skyrim. Suddenly I'm reminded of MissClick being the only person to recognize that Fallout was getting a Mii Costume despite a bunch of people here dismissing her as an egirl streamer thot who doesn't play games lmao

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Since Sakurai specifically mentioned fan demand for them, I wonder if Lloyd, Dovahkiin, Dante & Shantae will be at the top of Nintendo’s list for the next game’s third party characters?

Has Sakurai commented on fan demand like this before?
Geno, and he's never getting in, so it's probably not an indicator of anything, though it could be argued that Geno is anything but a normal case.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course there are many workings behind the scenes that would alter our perspective if we knew about them. However, unique characters and clones aren't interchangeable; the former is a lot more work - so that scenario is a bit unrealistic.

There are an innumerable amount of devs that would like to be included and an innumerable amount of characters that won't be included. It's not like every other dev got their wishes for addition and it was only Ryu Hayabusa and Rayman that were left out in the cold. More characters are in their situation than those that actually find themselves on the roster.

There are many more working parts than just a willingness from the license holder. That in and of itself is a poor basis to malign Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
True on the comment of complexity but you do know as well as I do that Nintendo had huge fan demands like Ryu Hayabusa or Rayman that the companies would have given to them and they would have been better additions than some of the obscure or less popular additions like Byleth.
"Better addition" is subjective, tbh. I like Byleth a lot more than both characters you listed.

That aside, Smash is a Nintendo crossover at heart. It just makes sense to add first-party characters from their newest and hugely popular console rather than just going for third-party characters all the time.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
As anyone in Fighter Pass 2 been really "Obscure"?
I think the closest was with Min Min and the Aegis girls, and even then they're from series that were commonly speculated during the base game days. god I'm ****in' old

Anyways, here's a music wishlist I whipped up for Sora:
  1. Simple and Clean ~Orchestra~
  2. Dearly Beloved
  3. Dive Into the Heart / Destati
  4. Bustin’ Up on the Beach
  5. Destiny’s Force
  6. Shrouding Dark Cloud ~Gigas Blast~
  7. Squirming Evil
  8. Hand in Hand
  9. Blast Away! ~Gummi Ship Medley~
  10. The Deep End
  11. Scherzo di Notte / Black Garden
  12. Forze del Male
  13. Disappeared
  14. Another Side
  15. The 13th Struggle
  16. Sinister Sundown / Working Together
  17. Revenge of Chaos
  18. Sanctuary ~Orchestra~
  19. Tension Rising ~Reaper’s Revenge~
  20. Desire for All That is Lost
  21. Vim and Vigor
  22. The Encounter
  23. The 13th Dilemma
  24. Sinister Shadows
  25. A Fight to the Death
  26. Darkness of the Unknown
  27. The 13th Reflection
  28. The Other Promise
  29. Rage Awakened
  30. Fate of the Unknown
  31. Lord of the Castle
  32. Fight and Away
  33. Critical Drive
  34. Vector to the Heavens
  35. The Tumbling
  36. Enter the Darkness
  37. Unforgettable
  38. Black Powder
  39. Unbreakable Chains
  40. Dismiss
  41. Master, Tell Me the Truth
  42. Forze dell’Oscurita
  43. No More Bugs!!
  44. UNTAMABLE
  45. Twister ~Kingdom Mix~
  46. Majestic Wings
  47. Ice-hot Lobster
  48. Gigabyte Mantis
  49. Dread of Night
  50. L’Eminenza Oscura
  51. Wave of Darkness / L’Impeto Oscuro
  52. Dearly Beloved ~Unchained χ Version~
  53. Wake Up, World!
  54. Face My Fears / Don't Think Twice ~Instrumental~
  55. Titanic Clash
  56. Anger Unchained
  57. Eye of the Storm
  58. Rise of the Union
  59. Forza Finale
  60. Edge of Existence
  61. Nachtflügel
Here's another list I crafted by picking the most likely songs form this one:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So remind me again why some folks thinks Resident Evil still has a chance despite having gotten a Spirit Board? Because if I recall it happened during this pass.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So remind me again why some folks thinks Resident Evil still has a chance despite having gotten a Spirit Board? Because if I recall it happened during this pass.
Two reasons:
  1. The event actually happened during Vol. 1
  2. Kazuya got in depsite Heihachi being a Mii Costume at the start of Vol. 2 (which is more likely Harada being cheeky but it is what it is)

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Since Sakurai specifically mentioned fan demand for them, I wonder if Lloyd, Dovahkiin, Dante & Shantae will be at the top of Nintendo’s list for the next game’s third party characters?

Has Sakurai commented on fan demand like this before?
Geno.

And look where that went.

I guess it's because Tekken getting a fighter despite already getting Heihachi as a Mii outfit one year ago threw a wrench into the mindsets of most Smash speculators.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I think the closest was with Min Min and the Aegis girls, and even then they're from series that were commonly speculated during the base game days. god I'm ****in' old

Anyways, here's a music wishlist I whipped up for Sora:
  1. Simple and Clean ~Orchestra~
  2. Dearly Beloved
  3. Dive Into the Heart / Destati
  4. Bustin’ Up on the Beach
  5. Destiny’s Force
  6. Shrouding Dark Cloud ~Gigas Blast~
  7. Squirming Evil
  8. Hand in Hand
  9. Blast Away! ~Gummi Ship Medley~
  10. The Deep End
  11. Scherzo di Notte / Black Garden
  12. Forze del Male
  13. Disappeared
  14. Another Side
  15. The 13th Struggle
  16. Sinister Sundown / Working Together
  17. Revenge of Chaos
  18. Sanctuary ~Orchestra~
  19. Tension Rising ~Reaper’s Revenge~
  20. Desire for All That is Lost
  21. Vim and Vigor
  22. The Encounter
  23. The 13th Dilemma
  24. Sinister Shadows
  25. A Fight to the Death
  26. Darkness of the Unknown
  27. The 13th Reflection
  28. The Other Promise
  29. Rage Awakened
  30. Fate of the Unknown
  31. Lord of the Castle
  32. Fight and Away
  33. Critical Drive
  34. Vector to the Heavens
  35. The Tumbling
  36. Enter the Darkness
  37. Unforgettable
  38. Black Powder
  39. Unbreakable Chains
  40. Dismiss
  41. Master, Tell Me the Truth
  42. Forze dell’Oscurita
  43. No More Bugs!!
  44. UNTAMABLE
  45. Twister ~Kingdom Mix~
  46. Majestic Wings
  47. Ice-hot Lobster
  48. Gigabyte Mantis
  49. Dread of Night
  50. L’Eminenza Oscura
  51. Wave of Darkness / L’Impeto Oscuro
  52. Dearly Beloved ~Unchained χ Version~
  53. Wake Up, World!
  54. Face My Fears / Don't Think Twice ~Instrumental~
  55. Titanic Clash
  56. Anger Unchained
  57. Eye of the Storm
  58. Rise of the Union
  59. Forza Finale
  60. Edge of Existence
  61. Nachtflügel
Here's another list I crafted by picking the most likely songs form this one:
Wouldn't use obscure for them. Since they're pretty new additions to the world of video games.

What I call obscure is like Geno or Banjo, since they been around for a long while, but they aren't the most well know outside their fan base.

Technomage

Smash Champion
They think it still has a chance due to it being one of Capcom's biggest franchises. I'm also theorizing they think that the fact that Mii costumes don't deconfirm entire franchises means that post-basegame spirit events don't, either.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Except said Spirit Event included all the big names in the series, like Leon, Jill, and Chris. The creature designs also have a heavy amount of body horror that will make the ESRB bump up Ultimate's rating to T.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Thats annoying. Smash fans always love to pull up the wikipedia page of sales as an attempt to diminish any character

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I'm so tired of people still treating the Mii costumes like a murder or something, when in reality with only one character remaining I feel like it should be pretty easy to grasp that had they not gotten a costume these characters would likely not get anything at all. Lots of things about general Smash hype culture draining me lately and making me want to talk about it less.

There are still hundreds of viable characters who probably won't have any presence in Smash that would kill for a sliver of acknowledgment. In this regard I don't get the culture behind poking fun at disconfirmed costumes either, it's still some form of a victory and at least from my perspective it's easy to be happy with something vs nothing when there's only one more opportunity for content after this.

Fortunately though, I've seen a lot of grateful Shantae fans today. I think the music definitely helps seal the deal.
As a Dante fan, I honestly prefer no costumes at all, because of many reasons:

-Getting acknowledgement in ways I didn't want to just screams cope (doesn't mean I can't deal with it, but I'm equally tired of this ''oh at least is something'' mentality without properly criticizing said ''consolation'' content). Not to mention it kinda kills the hype, since not everyone is really happy about watching their MW get turned into a bad cosplay rather than the real thing.

-If I wanted a playable alt I can just wait till someone mods his texture over another character, way better than a mii

-He looks fugly which makes it seem disrespectful, same goes to the Sonic costumes and many others. Someone like Shantae fits better due to her height. That said, if it doesn't fit I'd rather not see a costume.

-I don't play miis so don't really care about them, not to mention all 3 variants are awfully bad in competitive play and awkward to use.

-No music, which is even more of a bummer considering how many other costumes got 1 track. Heck I'd actually prefer the soundtracks before a mii I won't even use.

-And last but not least you have to pay for them. Granted, it's not much, but you are essentially paying for extra alts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom