• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

While Hades would be very cool, i think the game is just too new. Sakurai wouldn't have even known of the game till he was already working on FP2
I mean Hades was unveiled on the same event Joker got announced as the first DLC character and released on the same month under Early Access VIA Epic Games Store. While I wouldn't say Sakurai watches every event with crystal clear focus, I'd like to believe he and higher ups at Nintendo saw the game and potentially took interest in it while it was under Early Access. Whether if that made them want it in Smash or not is remained to be seen, but 1 could still hope it leads to that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean Hades was unveiled on the same event Joker got announced as the first DLC character and released on the same month under Early Access VIA Epic Games Store. While I wouldn't say Sakurai watches every event with crystal clear focus, I'd like to believe he and higher ups at Nintendo saw the game and potentially took interest in it while it was under Early Access. Whether if that made them want it in Smash or not is remained to be seen, but 1 could still hope it leads to that.
The game didn't even get a full release until 2020, I think you might be a little over-optimistic on this one.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Another curious fact, this is another fighter that doesn’t get leaked. Nintendo you are doing your staff right.

So, what do you think the mii costume will be ? We will get finally Lloyd Mii? Someone from Tekken like Nina Williams? Maybe Street Fighter like Chun Li or Guile? Nightmare from Soul Calibur?
King
Yoshimitsu
Prince of All Cosmos
Lloyd Irving
Someone from SC

Dinoman96

Smash Master
In regards to Capcom, I know everyone's just gonna circlejerk around the usual Dante or Phoenix Wright or Ammy or whatever...but I still can't get over what a raw deal Resident Evil got this game.

Going into this game's DLC cycle, I considered Dragon Quest, Tekken and Resident Evil the three biggest character based IPs from Japan without any major representation in Ultimate...then fast forward a few years later and while DQ and Tekken got full blown playable characters, all RE has are just a few mere spirits. Even something like Monster Hunter has a boss battle/assist trophy, two music rips and a whole segment in WOL, along with additional spirits and Mii outfits added in post-release. But here we have Resident Evil, by far Capcom's biggest franchise and again one of the most popular and successful Japanese game series...relegated to a handful of PNGs.

Considering that Nintendo selected IPs like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy (again), Minecraft, and Tekken for Ultimate's DLC, it's just kind of a shame RE seemingly wasn't on their radar as well.

Last edited:

RednekGamurz

Smash Rookie
NNID
RednekGamurz
3DS FC
2251-5616-7274

I looked back on the last several pages since the tread opened back up and haven't seen this get mentioned.

Take it as you will but this could potentially be the end of Master Chief.
I don't see this as a deconfirm, considering this guy is just a community manager. Smash discussions probably only happen with the big names involved with the character/series, so if Chief was coming, I doubt he'd know until pretty close to the reveal, or he'd find out around the same time as us. Now if you see someone like Frank O'Connor, Bonnie Ross, Phil Spencer, or Joseph Staten deconfirm Chief (like how Frank deconfirmed Chief for FP1), then it's over. Still, this, along with him not showing up at E3, and Verge being wrong again, isn't a good sign for the Spartan, but he's not out of the running just yet.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Kazuya’s devil form looks like an easy way to make the character stand out while also giving them more wiggle room for movesets. Mind you I know basically nothing about Tekken but that’s the impression I got at least.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The issue is he put all his eggs in one basket, which was a leak which said that the last 2 characters were the 4 Champions from BotW and MC.

Well, 4 Champions aren't Kazuya.

He was acting extremely confident that he'd be right, he wasn't. It completely blew up in his face.
When did he say the 4 champions were coming?
In regards to Capcom, I know everyone's just gonna circlejerk around the usual Dante or Phoenix Wright or Ammy or whatever...but I still can't get over what a raw deal Resident Evil got this game.

Going into this game's DLC cycle, I considered Dragon Quest, Tekken and Resident Evil the three biggest character based IPs from Japan without any major representation in Ultimate...then fast forward a few years later and while DQ and Tekken got full blown playable characters, all RE has are just a few mere spirits. Even something like Monster Hunter has a boss battle/assist trophy, two music rips and a whole segment in WOL, along with additional spirits and Mii outfits added in post-release. But here we have Resident Evil, by far Capcom's biggest franchise and again one of the most popular and successful Japanese game series...relegated to a handful of PNGs.

Considering that Nintendo selected IPs like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy (again), Minecraft, and Tekken for Ultimate's DLC, it's just kind of a shame RE seemingly wasn't on their radar as well.
Yea, I do think RE deserves better. If it's any consolation, Street Fighter doesn't sell as many games as RE, but it's still Capcom's highest GROSSING franchise. There may be issues with the horror aspects as well. I wish I could get into Sakurai's head...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
A Spirit Event about dads.

...Ironic, considering who was announced today.

D

Deleted member

The game didn't even get a full release until 2020, I think you might be a little over-optimistic on this one.
Eh, I can only hope it happens within a set of specific circumstances, but I'm not saying it will happen.

And quite frankly, I've practically given up on seeing any character I wanted in Smash being likely now. All I can do is just hope they get in instead of having the confidence in believing they're really in Smash before the last reveal happens.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Father’s Day is this upcoming Sunday right?

….sigh now I’m sad again… :c

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Trust me, they knew exactly what they were doing when they decided on the Spirit Event theme for this day and week, probably with the biggest grin on their face.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

It's weird how they did the Mother's Day event all the way back in 2019, and then they waited two whole years to do the Father's Day one.

Maybe they just really wanted to make that joke and decided to delay it purposely to coincide with today's announcement.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

This counts as a healthy Father/Son relationship right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

E37qn7NVgAYSgaw.jpeg

IMG_20210615_220616.jpg

That's just ****ing savage lmao

Technomage

Smash Champion

Well, at least he ain't here to wreck Father's Day. :p

D

Deleted member

I imagine Sakurai will probably talk about why he picked Kazuya over Heihachi in his presentation anyways.
It likely has to deal with the history of the Tekken series overall. For the first two Tekken games (maybe only the first? Can't remember) Kazuya was the main protagonist. He later became an antagonist and Jin became the main character for later games. The fact that the Mishimas are heavily featured in all Tekkens and Kazuya being the very first protag and a Mishima likely both factor in to why he was chosen over Jin.

I personally never thought Heihachi was likely since it heavily seemed like a new representative for a series was always the main protag first. This was even teased with the workaround in the Min Min trailer by saying they were all main characters (but also probably because there was no real 'main story' to the game; just story arcs for whatever character you play as). Pyra/Mythra were central to the plot of their game, so it could be argued they were part of a Main Protagonist Trio (like Laharl, Etna, & Flonne are for Disgaea pretty much), but I know some will call that a stretch. Pythra really is the only outlier when it comes to new game rep characters. Everyone else either came from a series that already had the main character in, game from a game with no real 'main character', or were the main characters of their respective games already.

Pyra: exists
Guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking more on the lines of pet cute and not girlfriend cute. I was having a hard time thinking how to express my thoughts at the time. Some people posted some pictures of Ultimate's newcomers and I thought the bottom row looked kind of homogenous in comparison to the rest, which all had at least 2 non-human characters. Pass 2 is a bunch of human-looking characters so far. That's all I meant. It probably didn't come across that way. Sorry.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So how is everyone still taking our newest character so far?

For me, an unexpecting but pleasant surprise. Yet again another villain added to the roster, I'm pretty content with Kazuya's inclusion and looks like he should be fun to play given his demonic abilities.

zferolie

Smash Hero
that long ago huh? Still, the game didn't release till 2020, And Sakurai has been adament that since roy he tries to really not bring out a character whos game is not out yet, even if he can get some early access to it.

Again I think hes a cool choice, but i think his best chance atm is a Mii costume released when Sakurai releases a playable indie fighter.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Guess I should have been more specific. I was thinking more on the lines of pet cute and not girlfriend cute. I was having a hard time thinking how to express my thoughts at the time. Some people posted some pictures of Ultimate's newcomers and I thought the bottom row looked kind of homogenous in comparison to the rest, which all had at least 2 non-human characters. Pass 2 is a bunch of human-looking characters so far. That's all I meant. It probably didn't come across that way. Sorry.
It's all good. No need to apologize. Just wanted to vouch for best girl.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On a side note guess who STILL can’t download a damn thing from the eshop

I tried downloading Mario vs Rabbids after grabbing it on sale

IT WON’T DOWNLOAD!

Nintendo better fix this FAST before Kazuya drops…

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

For me, an unexpecting but pleasant surprise. Yet again another villain added to the roster, I'm pretty content with Kazuya's inclusion and looks like he should be fun to play given his demonic abilities.
I know this won't go over with everybody but I couldn't give a **** about Tekken, I've never been interested in the series, so this character is the epitome of

I kinda wish it was a character I cared about, but on the other hand, at least it's not a character I actively dislike. Nice that people are mostly pleased, but if we were going with (plausible) fighters, personally I wish we'd have gotten Chun Li.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So for those of you who have the willpower to have social media like Twitter, what has been the general response to Kazuya? I Imagine there are a lot of people excited for him considering that Tekken in general is kind of a big deal. I'd certainly call it iconic and it's up there with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter as one of the most celebrated fighting games series of all time.

Noipoi

Howdy!

He’s a cool dude that I probably won’t be able to play cuz I’m a piss baby who can’t understand the inputs.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So for those of you who have the willpower to have social media like Twitter, what has been the general response to Kazuya? I Imagine there are a lot of people excited for him considering that Tekken in general is kind of a big deal. I'd certainly call it iconic and it's up there with Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter as one of the most celebrated fighting games series of all time.
fighting game fans seem hyped, no-one seems angry at the character. Lots of memes with him killing other people

SKX31

Smash Master
On another note, how similar is Heihachi to Kazuya gameplay-wise? An interesting thought for next game, as he could be an Echo for Kazuya, but I don't know if they're close to similar enough to justify it. Bodyshape they look similar to me, but only at a glance.
As things currently stand with Tekken 7:

Heihachi and Kazuya are kinda similar (being that they share the same general fighting style / tradition) but Kazuya not only has access to the Devil Form - something Heihachi has refrained from ever using, but there are quite a few other differences. While listing the move differences probably would take a while (I'd have to look them up personally, and I could be wrong here), the general differences between Kazuya and Heihachi are IIRC:

• Kazuya has a more devastating whiff punish game between the two, and a "vortex" 50 / 50 that can either be a launcher or a knockdown - which can be repeated or extended into something else. Kazuya also can punish other kinds of missteps really well. The punish game seems to be carried over in Smash with several of Kazuya's moves causing some insane stuns. By contrast Heihachi's punish game is more focused around mid-level hits - Heihachi's mids are amongst the stronger ones in Tekken though.
  • Heihachi instead excels at poking, and wants to suffocate his opponent by poking at people. His mids are generally safe which helps here (although Heihachi's low hits are infamously risky). By contrast, Kazuya does not have a lot of poking options and as such his offense is much more commital.
  • Kazuya also can't handle pressure very well compared to Heihachi, instead Kazuya relies more on movement and mindgames in order to stay in the fray. This ironically makes Kazuya a bit more defensive since Kazuya players will oftentimes play reactive and go for the punishes, while Heihachi is more comfortable with putting up a sustained offense.

• Estelle: My next picture book's about the special bond between parents and children.
    Kazuya: Oh, really? Sounds interesting.
    Jin: Yeah. Keep an eye on us. You'll learn a lot.
- Projext X Zone 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom