• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So how is everyone still taking our newest character so far?

For me, an unexpecting but pleasant surprise. Yet again another villain added to the roster, I'm pretty content with Kazuya's inclusion and looks like he should be fun to play given his demonic abilities.
I'll be honest here. As much as I'm not big into a Tekken character being in Smash, I was actually glad to see it not be Crash or Master Chief like so many people were betting on even before Vergeburger decided to crash and burn harder than Capcom's E3 Presentation. Kazuya is at least interesting to me in how I didn't see that 1 coming, and I liked the gag throughout the trailer.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
In the thread he made where he said Chief for Smash, someone asked him if he knew if the 4 Champions were also coming.

His response was to

Type out four lines

Of We are the Champions

Like this

It was a very cheeky was of saying "They're in."
That's... really odd. We're sure that's what he was saying I suppose?
He’s a cool dude that I probably won’t be able to play cuz I’m a piss baby who can’t understand the inputs.
Lol, same. If I'm being honest though, isn't that part of the reason Smash was created in the first place? Adding command inputs to characters has always seemed a bit counter intuitive to Smash's approachable gameplay.

I mean, it's fine, but it's kind of a shame to me personally. I'll try to figure him out, but I doubt I could ever be competitive with him. Lol

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As things currently stand with Tekken 7:

Heihachi and Kazuya are kinda similar (being that they share the same general fighting style / tradition) but Kazuya not only has access to the Devil Form - something Heihachi has refrained from ever using, but there are quite a few other differences. While listing the move differences probably would take a while (I'd have to look them up personally, and I could be wrong here), the general differences between Kazuya and Heihachi are IIRC:

• Kazuya has a more devastating whiff punish game between the two, and a "vortex" 50 / 50 that can either be a launcher or a knockdown - which can be repeated or extended into something else. Kazuya also can punish other kinds of missteps really well. The punish game seems to be carried over in Smash with several of Kazuya's moves causing some insane stuns. By contrast Heihachi's punish game is more focused around mid-level hits - Heihachi's mids are amongst the stronger ones in Tekken though.
  • Heihachi instead excels at poking, and wants to suffocate his opponent by poking at people. His mids are generally safe which helps here (although Heihachi's low hits are infamously risky). By contrast, Kazuya does not have a lot of poking options and as such his offense is much more commital.
  • Kazuya also can't handle pressure very well compared to Heihachi, instead Kazuya relies more on movement and mindgames in order to stay in the fray. This ironically makes Kazuya a bit more defensive since Kazuya players will oftentimes play reactive and go for the punishes, while Heihachi is more comfortable with putting up a sustained offense.

• Estelle: My next picture book's about the special bond between parents and children.
    Kazuya: Oh, really? Sounds interesting.
    Jin: Yeah. Keep an eye on us. You'll learn a lot.
- Projext X Zone 2
Anyone remember what Kazuya says to Chrom and Lucina?

now that again, thanks to this common thread I consider the two games canon to each other :awesome:

Shroob

Sup?
That's... really odd. We're sure that's what he was saying I suppose?

Lol, same. If I'm being honest though, isn't that part of the reason Smash was created in the first place? Adding command inputs to characters has always seemed a bit counter intuitive to Smash's approachable gameplay.

I mean, it's fine, but it's kind of a shame to me personally. I'll try to figure him out, but I doubt I could ever be competitive with him. Lol
I don't see why else he'd quote We are the Champions in response to someone asking him if the 4 Champions were in, while also line breaking them into 4 lines.

He was trying to be cheeky, it backfired.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Pyra: exists
You mean Mythra, right?
People, people, it's okay. You can think one is cute while still liking the other... as a fighter. :4pacman:

This counts as a healthy Father/Son relationship right?
You know, I just realized that he's right at home in Smash. All you do in this game is throw people off of cliffs anyway.

Sidenote: I love that of all the dads in today's event picture, Bowser and Bowser Jr. have arguably one of the healthiest relationships lol.

Second sidenote: rewatching the trailer a few times, I just love the attention to detail and side gags. Like how Marth is still clutching his sword as he's passed out and how it makes sense for Pit to be thrown because he can't fly on his own. Not to mention the segments mimicking Tekken neutral and the announcer.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So looking at my most wanted, the only ones left who I'm confident in are Phoenix, Monokuma and Bill Rizer. In fact all of them got a boost from this direct. Danganronpa got a Switch port and both Capcom and Konami no longer face the issue of already having costumes during this pass. So I still have a chance left of getting one of my most wanted

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't see why else he'd quote We are the Champions in response to someone asking him if the 4 Champions were in, while also line breaking them into 4 lines.

It looks like he said that in response to someone who was calling him a fraud. Still aged pretty badly though given how things have panned out.

Shroob

Sup?
So looking at my most wanted, the only ones left who I'm confident in are Phoenix, Monokuma and Bill Rizer. In fact all of them got a boost from this direct. Danganronpa got a Switch port and both Capcom and Konami no longer face the issue of already having costumes during this pass. So I still have a chance left of getting one of my most wanted
But

We got Phoenix Wright already.

:4pacman:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Okay, I was having trouble grasping what he said exactly. Thank you.

Things are wide open now... I'm legitimately clueless on CP11.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Bill Rizer is one of my most wanted as well. I feel like Bill, Ryu Hyabusa, and the Battletoads are the top three NES reps that feel missing in Smash. The good news is that all three have gotten a little boost in recognition in recent times. Contra and Battletoads both got a new game while Ninja Gaiden recently got the X-Box trilogy ported to modern consoles.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So now we have Wayforward offically announcing that they are working on Advanced wars, and not just a few articles saying so.

I said it before but that is quite huge for them.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Remember this?

Piece of crap literally gate-keeping other characters while getting his second character in.

Whatever, lol. You can ban me, I guess. Maybe saying "crap" again will do it, lol.

You can also report it for "terrorism", if there's the possibility.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So now we have Wayforward offically announcing that they are working on Advanced wars, and not just a few articles saying so.

Gotta wonder where this will lead for both parties...

Also, people are asking for Shantae as a CO. Because of course.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Remember this?

Piece of crap literally gate-keeping other characters while getting his second character in.

Whatever, lol. You can ban me, I guess. Maybe saying "crap" again will do it, lol.

Someone is mad. You know he didn't actually tell sakurai to ban your most wanted right? If you spam peoples twitter they are going to be reasonablly upset.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Remember this?

That tweet was and still is hilarious. If you are getting mad at it then you are proving his point lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Someone is mad. You know he didn't actually tell sakurai to ban your most wanted right? If you spam peoples twitter they are going to be reasonablly upset.
1. Pretty sure he wasn't serious.
2. He was getting harassed, so a reaction like this wasn't all that malicious.
For context it was actually cuz those other accounts were sharing memes and the Alberto guy tagged Harada and he saw that as spam

still tho man

don’t be upsetti

have some spaghetti

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Fastest Kazuya recognition I've seen so far:

Surely today of all days we have enough other things to talk about
I just realized...no Super Switch.

I almost want a third Fighter Pass because at this point it feels like the second to last character would be Sol Badguy, Scorpion or Nightmare.
I mean, I want a 3rd Pass regardless of who the final character is.

WHat games would you like to be remade and by what companies?
Chrono Trigger by ArcSys - Gimmie that DBFZ art style
Super Mario RPG by Intelligent Systems - Gimmie that Paper Mario art style
Legacy of Kain by CD Projekt Red - The Witcher 3 version, not the Cyberpunk version

I could care less if he is right or not, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up being right for the last character reveal. However, people also gave him crap about being wrong about Minecraft content, and in the end he was right.
I mean, on a long enough timeline, everyone will be right EVENTUALLY.

also capcpom is back on the table
Time for Felyne.

ppl can now stop doubting Splatoon since Kazuya came nearly a year after the Heihachi Mii
I'll continue to doubt them because we already got playable Splatoon characters in Ultimate.

So, what do you think the mii costume will be ?
Lloyd obviously, and hoping for Nightmare.

Trust me, they knew exactly what they were doing when they decided on the Spirit Event theme for this day and week, probably with the biggest grin on their face.
Doesn't this kinda deconfirm the whole "spirit events won't be applicable to upcoming characters" theory?

Kazuya is obviously going to have a Heihachi Spirit. He definitely would have been in this event.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sleeping

"Mii costumes can have multiple colors now thanks to Bomberman...."

"Mii costumes can have invisible limbs now thanks to the Pig/Creeper costume...."

".....Sakurai's talked about Amogus."

WOKE
Good Evening.

This is Customer Service and we are pleased to inform you that your meme has now been successfully converted to Pictorial Spongebob format. Thank you very much for your patronage, we hope you enjoyed our services, and have a nice day.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
aww.jpg

Well, E3 was not Crash. While I stand by some of the things I said, such as double dips not being likely, Kazuya ripped a big hole in a lot of my main argument. Though granted most people wrote off Tekken after Heihachi got a Mii costume so I won't beat myself up too hard.

I said we were only getting one "big" character and odds are it was Kazuya. Tekken is a big deal, and I am glad that it is in smash. That being said, the only way Crash is getting in now is if the "Banjo to Kazuya's Hero" was delayed due to COVID. While this is not impossible, I would doubt it. That being said, compared to characters like Rayman and Chief rn, I would say Crash is in a slightly better spot. Far from where I called him the frontrunner though. If I had to peg Crash's odds, lets say 10-15% pending my mood. Not something I would bet on.

The other thing I got wrong is that Mii Costumes, and likely spirit events, for companies or franchises to a certain point are not a death knell. Konami, Bethesda, and more importantly Capcom are all back on the menu. Ubisoft too but after the TMNT leak I doubt we will get a Ubisoft character. Got proven wrong, oh well.

So what is my plan going forward? Well, RTC is doing a fixed schedule geared towards the "smaller" side of speculation. What I will likely do is do a mini writeup for some of the ones that I think are being slept on a little in terms of being CP11. All of these will fit the "smaller" hype character. They all are a third party that is not as big, or a first party that could be a shill rep. In terms of what ones I will be doing, here are the ones I plan on discussing in detail. This will not be nearly to the extent the Crash writeup was, but to an extent I do plan on going in depth a bit.
  • Rean Schwarzer
  • Estelle Bright
  • Adol Cristin
  • SMTV Protagonist
  • Demi Fiend
  • Phantasy Star Rep
  • Arle Nadja
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Amaterasu
  • Professor Layton
  • Monokuma
  • Disagea rep
  • Reimu
  • Shantae
  • Andy
  • Ayumi Tachibani
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Akira Howard
  • A Pokemon
That is a list of some of the mini write ups I have planned. To varying degrees, I think most of these make sense for CP11. Some I will be a bit less optimistic towards, some I will say are reasonable choices right now. If I had to name the five I would say are the most likely right now... Phoenix Wright, Akira Howard, Professor Layton, a Falcom rep, and the SMT V protag in no order.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Eh, it was much more olive. There's a reason people were going "Hey, that looks like Master Chief/Doomslayer!"
Yeah. Although as I pointed out, Jonesy can also fit the color. But that said, are we going to start looking for all characters that could have a light-green background?

1. Work with Nintendo on Nintendo games that are good quality and give good attention for your company.
  2. Became a Major affiliate for Nintendo for working well together and have easier permission for Nintendo IPs.
  3. End up as a Subsidiary for Nintendo.
  4. ????????
  5. Shantae is now a Nintendo character, is still going and is easy pickings for Smash Bros.
Don't take this too seriously. Mostly Gru/???Profit posting.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Glad you know **** all what you are talking about.

They accidentally spammed when they weren't meant to, and not everybody was on the spamming thing, just happened to be there at the wrong place at the wrong time.

1. Pretty sure he wasn't serious.
hqdefault.jpg

That tweet was and still is hilarious. If you are getting mad at it then you are proving his point lol.
What point, dude? Guy clearly has some influence on who gets in or not.
Let's not pretend he has nothing to do with Smash.

Just saying to never ask for those characters ever again. They are literally blacklisted for all eternity.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

They accidentally spammed when they weren't meant to, and not everybody was on the spamming thing, just happened to be there at the wrong place at the wrong time.

View attachment 319461

Just saying to never ask for those characters ever again. They are literally blacklisted for all eternity.
You really think they're going to back out of potential deals and profits because one guy was annoyed on Twitter?

Come on man.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah. Although as I pointed out, Jonesy can also fit the color. But that said, are we going to start looking for all characters that could have a light-green background?

1. Work with Nintendo on Nintendo games that are good quality and give good attention for your company.
  2. Became a Major affiliate for Nintendo for working well together and have easier permission for Nintendo IPs.
  3. End up as a Subsidiary for Nintendo.
  4. ????????
  5. Shantae is now a Nintendo character, is still going and is easy pickings for Smash Bros.
Don't take this too seriously. Mostly Gru/???Profit posting.
I don't know why, but I would be perfectly okay with Wayforward getting bought by Nintendo. Though there are other companies that I feel are bigger priorities, and that's assuming Nintendo is even in the mood to spend some moolah...

zferolie

Smash Hero

View attachment 319461

first, why did they spam Harada in the first place? Second, Harada has no power to cancel a planned character just because he got annoyed.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Well, that was one of the quickest times I added someone to my ignore list lmao.

Anywho, I am glad to see Wayforward working on a Nintendo IP. Here's hoping that Advance Wars comes back in a big way from this. And by in a big way, I mean it is profitable and Nintendo decides to keep Wayforward on board to make more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom