• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Remember this?

Piece of crap literally gate-keeping other characters while getting his second character in.

Whatever, lol. You can ban me, I guess. Maybe saying "crap" again will do it, lol.

You can also report it for "terrorism", if there's the possibility.
Take a chill man. We’re talking about Smash, no need to bring up terrorism.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Flaming
There's literal hundreds of potential video game characters MINUS 7 characters, dude.
FTFY

first, why did they spam Harada in the first place? Second, Harada has no power to cancel a planned character just because he got annoyed.
Glad you STILL don't know **** all about what you are talking about.

It was supposed to be a weird train thing to show support to their characters as a group (Whoever thought it was a good idea was probably having good intentions on it), but some dumbass tagged Sakurai in the train, so it became a spam thing where nobody noticed the tag until it was too late.

And second... Again... Is he thought? Pretty sure Harada is above to Sakurai in corporative position. He HAS influence.
If he says something, it stays.

Please stop with the misinformation, please.

Take a chill man. We’re talking about Smash, no need to bring up terrorism.
I'm chill. Just saying I wanna get rid of this account as it will have no meaning to me in a few months, lmao.
There's also false reports that can be used effectively to remove undesirables.
That kind of professional work exists, right?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Ignoring...whatever is going on now, I'm sticking with my theory of the last two characters consisting of a third-party at E3 and a first-party this fall.

Unless Byleth accounts for both passes, I think we'll get one last character who could qualify as "promotional". Not necessarily someone who debuted in the last year or so, but at least someone who represents a game that came out within that time frame.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
View attachment 319463

Well, E3 was not Crash. While I stand by some of the things I said, such as double dips not being likely, Kazuya ripped a big hole in a lot of my main argument. Though granted most people wrote off Tekken after Heihachi got a Mii costume so I won't beat myself up too hard.

I said we were only getting one "big" character and odds are it was Kazuya. Tekken is a big deal, and I am glad that it is in smash. That being said, the only way Crash is getting in now is if the "Banjo to Kazuya's Hero" was delayed due to COVID. While this is not impossible, I would doubt it. That being said, compared to characters like Rayman and Chief rn, I would say Crash is in a slightly better spot. Far from where I called him the frontrunner though. If I had to peg Crash's odds, lets say 10-15% pending my mood. Not something I would bet on.

The other thing I got wrong is that Mii Costumes, and likely spirit events, for companies or franchises to a certain point are not a death knell. Konami, Bethesda, and more importantly Capcom are all back on the menu. Ubisoft too but after the TMNT leak I doubt we will get a Ubisoft character. Got proven wrong, oh well.

So what is my plan going forward? Well, RTC is doing a fixed schedule geared towards the "smaller" side of speculation. What I will likely do is do a mini writeup for some of the ones that I think are being slept on a little in terms of being CP11. All of these will fit the "smaller" hype character. They all are a third party that is not as big, or a first party that could be a shill rep. In terms of what ones I will be doing, here are the ones I plan on discussing in detail. This will not be nearly to the extent the Crash writeup was, but to an extent I do plan on going in depth a bit.
  • Rean Schwarzer
  • Estelle Bright
  • Adol Cristin
  • SMTV Protagonist
  • Demi Fiend
  • Phantasy Star Rep
  • Arle Nadja
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Amaterasu
  • Professor Layton
  • Monokuma
  • Disagea rep
  • Reimu
  • Shantae
  • Andy
  • Ayumi Tachibani
  • Ashley
  • Waluigi
  • Akira Howard
  • A Pokemon
That is a list of some of the mini write ups I have planned. To varying degrees, I think most of these make sense for CP11. Some I will be a bit less optimistic towards, some I will say are reasonable choices right now. If I had to name the five I would say are the most likely right now... Phoenix Wright, Akira Howard, Professor Layton, a Falcom rep, and the SMT V protag in no order.
I would enjoy seeing those. As for the top 5 I see, I still think Reimu and shantae have a shot, especially Shantae if this second chance theory keeps panning out, as I really feel they considered her for a bit, given her sprit placement and having a battle icon.. The other 3 of those....Arle for a sega rep, though Dr Eggman is also likely, Ayumi for second chance theory and her game being released westward now, and Pheonix Wright as the likely capcom rep

But man... I would love for a Disgaea Rep, most of all Asagi Asagiri... I really should make that character thread for her

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Thread is back, so I just wanna share this post I made on the E3 thread for fun:

So yeah, Hades was advertised for Japan on the Direct, and with Epicmartin's color coded math **** being right about red with green apparently being next...

View attachment 319443
1 could hope.
Several characters on my most wanted list fit with a green background:

Battletoads
Illidan Stormrage
Sarah Kerrigan

While not on my most wanted list, I think Master Chief, Doomslayer, and Zagreaus would be pretty cool as well. Ogremon would be awesome too but I don’t see a scenario it gets in before Agumon.

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Nice one, Katsuhiro!! (btw Katsuhiro is Harada, i can use his first name because we are tight like that. yeah i know top game producers but its not a big deal to me lol) I talked to him and he literally has your most wanteds trapped in his basement. Maybe you'll think next time before asking for a character to be added to smash.

:4pacman:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Kazuya looks interesting. I'm fine with him getting in. Congrats to tekken fans.

I do think the reveal trailer itself was quite underwhelming and wasn't hype at all aside from showing how cool his moves are.

He seems tough to go up against.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The tagline was pretty clever tho, even down to using the Tekken font and announcer

I hope like if Octoling/Off the Hook is next, they do that little 3D text flickering thing you saw a lot in Octo Expansion

or just cool effects with taglines in general

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I have a feeling I might be the only person who sees a character reveal and the first thing I think of is what mods could work well over them. My first thought after watching Kazuya’s trailer was that he’d make for a cool Illidan mod. Sephiroth was one of my most wanted characters and I still thought of a Magus mod over him pretty early on lol.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ignoring...whatever is going on now, I'm sticking with my theory of the last two characters consisting of a third-party at E3 and a first-party this fall.

Unless Byleth accounts for both passes, I think we'll get one last character who could qualify as "promotional". Not necessarily someone who debuted in the last year or so, but at least someone who represents a game that came out within that time frame.
Hmm i just don't see another 1st party. We got ARMS and we got Pyra/Mythra. And this pass seems exclusively focused on characters that missed out of this and/or past games. A promotional 1st party wouldn't fit.

Not saying its impossible, but i'm not going to lean that way when speculating

Eh, not really.
I'm glad he's gone, since hes had so much wrong, and also acted like he was the second comning.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m excited proper for this challenger, I love the takes on fighting game characters we’ve gotten and Kazuya looks like he came straight from Tekken. I still wonder how on earth Sakurai pulled this off, especially with the turning input swap that maybe is there?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't know why, but I'm kinda thinking E.M.M.I from Metroid Dread might be the last DLC fighter? It's a very promenint part of a game I imagine Nintendo wants to promote. It even has it's own amiibo - how many characters get amiibo in their debut game?

plus I think it would be funny to accuse Sakurai of Metroid bias

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hmm i just don't see another 1st party. We got ARMS and we got Pyra/Mythra. And this pass seems exclusively focused on characters that missed out of this and/or past games. A promotional 1st party wouldn't fit.

Not saying its impossible, but i'm not going to lean that way when speculating
Decidueye was skipped in favor of Incineroar

Decidueye is also the final evolution for one of the starters in the big new Pokémon game

5A203608-280A-40E3-9067-34E75F634B37.jpeg

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
And second... Again... Is he thought? Pretty sure Harada is above to Sakurai in corporative position. He HAS influence.
If he says something, it stays.

Please stop with the misinformation, please.
You know Smash is Nintendo’s game with Sakurai as the director, right? Bamco is the developer team, but they have no control over who gets in; Nintendo and Sakurai do. Now, Sakurai and Harada are friends, but I doubt he’s gonna say no just ‘cause of an extremely small amount of people on social media. And supposedly Harada just likes to troll or say things to get people to shut up if I remember what other people said correctly.

Also, there were more character supporters/accounts in that meme chain, and the Steve account was one of them, and he’s in Smash, so…

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't know why, but I'm kinda thinking E.M.M.I from Metroid Dread might be the last DLC fighter? It's a very promenint part of a game I imagine Nintendo wants to promote. It even has it's own amiibo - how many characters get amiibo in their debut game?

It's gimmick is that it's invincible to all attacks. :4pacman:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For my thoughts on the days events, particularly Smash.

I'm assuming the insiders all got ****ed over by a leak trap or Verge straight up piggybacked off of NWplayer. Either way, I'm pretty convinced that MC probably isn't happening.

Kazuya is neat, but not something I'm particularly enthusiastic about. Pretty neutral reaction towards him. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heihachi Mii Costume releasing when it did was something Harada requested. Personally, I don't think Kazuya's inclusion changes speculation all that much, especially with only one fighter left to go.

Metroid Dread was the star of the show for me. Been waiting years for that and was on the verge of giving up hope on it ever happening.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
characters that missed out of this and/or past games
This is how Dixie wins.

dix.png

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I had the same thought but it looks like E.M.M.I’s whole thing is being invincible. I’m not sure if that would prevent it from getting in. Either way, I’m guessing it’s probably more likely for Smash 6 than this game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Tekken is now a big part of Smash.

Kazuya getting in after Heihachi got a Mii with Min Min almost broke most of my conventions and assumptions to narrow things down. You know what, I'm gonna give up on trying to seriously narrow it down. The closest thing could be Crash, but I'm going to indulge my crackpot-theorist side.

Negan made it into Tekken 7 as DLC.

He's from The Walking Dead series. Guess who plays Negan's right-hand man?

tmp_vXuvQm_a5a80c396850b57f_TWD_815_GP_1107_0350_RT.jpg

That's right, Stephen Ogg. He plays the role of one of the GTAV protagonists Trevor Philips.

1623810132466.png
ogg-filtra-fecha-gta-6.jpg

The name of Ogg's character in the Walking Dead? Simon. So he's played a character named Trevor and a character named Simon. The Belmont family from Castlevania has two very important characters with those names. Simon Belmont was the first new third party introduced into Smash Ultimate and he brought in one echo. With all this in mind, we can logically deduce that Trevor Philips will be the final third-party fighter for Ultimate and bring at least one echo fighter which would be a different GTA protagonist. Like poetry, it rhymes. This is all very clearly obviously totally an obvious hint from Sakurai that he planned out as he was conceptualizing Kirby in the 90s.

Jokes aside, it's pretty funny how Ogg's role as Simon from the Walking Dead is way more connected to Smash now than Ogg's role as Trevor from GTAV, the second best-selling game ever as well as part of one of the biggest, and one of the most important series of all time.

Is this theory a little too crack-pot? Perhaps, I've resigned from more serious speculation by this point. All I can reasonably do now is narrow down most of my Smash speculation mainly on series from PlayStation Classic’s Full Lineup of 20 Games. I was joking about this a few months ago to some friends when we got Sephiroth... but considering Tekken 3 is one of the game's in this lineup... I may have been n to something.
31700748398_ed126f2b99_b.jpg

Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Persona, Tekken 3. My final predictions have logically narrowed down to Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, and Rayman. It only seems right.
Jokes fully aside, I'm pretty interested to see how Sakurai got Tekken implemented into Smash!

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day 1: Concept: League Of Legends Rep
Day 2: Rean Schwarzer (Trails)/Estelle Bright (Trails)/Adol (Ys)
Day 3: Decidueye/Garchomp/Gen 8 (Pokemon Day)
Day 4: Professor Layton/Monokuma (Danganronpa)
Day 5: Reimu Hakuri (Touhou)/Shantae
Day 6: Quote(Cave Story) /The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Day 7: Master Chief/Dovakhin/ Crash
Day 8: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)/Amaterasu (Okami)
Day 9: Arle Nadja (Puyo)/Concept: Phantasy Star Newcomer
Day 10: Demi-Fiend (SMT)/SMT 5 Protagonist
Day 11: Saber(Fate)/Euden(Dragalia Lost)/Katalina(Grand Blue)
Day 12: Ayumi Tachibani(Famicom Detective)/Officer Howard(Astral Chain)/Ring Fit Trainee
Day 13: Concept Zelda Newcomer/King Boo/Gooigi
Day 14: Rayman/Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) /Concept: Disagea Rep
Day 15: Sakura Shingumi (Sakura Wars) /Axel Stone (streets of Rage)
Day 16: Andy (Advance Wars)/Ashley(WarioWare)
Day 17: Waluigi/Isaac (Golden Sun)

If anyone is interested, here is the planned schedule for RTC after CP 10. Shifting gears towards a more smaller character focused schedule as a whole, think it will be a lot of fun to think about.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The first pass also seemed to focus exclusively on third-parties. The last character was Byleth.

I don't think Nintendo is following a theme for this pass. There are some similarities between some of the characters, but I don't believe it's intentional. We're already starting to bend the rules after Sephiroth and Kazuya. "They considered Sephiroth among several other SE characters," which is an assumption, and, "Characters from franchises considered in past Smash games count."

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Okay. I was out all of the day to avoid spoilers and all until the Direct started, and...

I know I'm super biased here, because the Direct wasn't 10/10 if I try to be objective... but it personally was a 10 out of 10 because of Metroid 5 and SMTV, then BOTW2, Kazuya and Advance Wars are the cherry on top of the cake.

Tekken completely blinsided us, specially because it was Kazuya and not Heihachi. I've been always more of a Heihachi/Jin guy, but Kazuya is also cool, and I played a TON of Tekken back in the PS1-PS2 days. Tekken 3 and 5 were some of my greatest memories of these generations, so I'm really glad to have Tekken in Smash. And Kazuya looks dope. They better include a good music selection because Tekken OST is really cool, I really hope they add some of my favorite tracks!

Then... Metroid ****ING DREAD. They did it. Finally a ****ing sequel to Fusion. And it looks great! At first I was not sure if I was into the new Samus redesign, but after seeing the trailer multiple times I'm digging it a lot. I love the aesthetic and how different the game looks from other entries, and I specifically love how they're seemingly leaning into having more horror elements. Fusion already had some of that, but Dread seems to be more serious in that regard. I'm definitely picking up the special edition. So happy.

Shin Megami Tensei V. I mean, we basically knew it was going to be there because of the release date being leaked not long ago, but the trailer was great and seeing a gameplay for the first time was exciting. I completely adore the aesthetic, the music and the design of the protagonist once he's transformed. He looks super cool. I really think the game has potential to be a break out title for the series after Persona's success. Probably not as big as Persona 5's, but enough to keep having more frequent SMT releases!

And Breath of the Wild 2 was maybe a bit short, but still a very cool trailer. Kinda surprised they didn't announce the title, but I loved basically everything of what we saw. I definitely feel like there are two different Links? The one that explores the sky section has a different design and some people is speculating that the game might have some time travelshenanigans, so who knows... The game having a 2022 release was expected, at least for me, so I'm cool with it.

It's quite exciting to have a Direct where you feel like they're specifically trying to please you for once lmao.
Having a new Warioware game and Advance Wars back was great news. I'll probably pick up Advance Wars because I was always interested in it. After seeing Nintendo rescuing the IP, I definitely think F-Zero, Golden Sun and others have a chance in the future.

And the best thing? CAPCOM IS BACK. lol probably not, I'm not assuming CP11 is going to be Capcom but I'm definitely a bit more excited to speculate about the last character if Capcom is taken more seriously. I really would like to have a new Capcom fighter, I'm kinda amazed they didn't get a new character during DLC, so I'd be happy if we got one (specially if it's Dante or Phoenix Wright), but as I always say, as long as the character brings something cool, I'm okay.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
One huge plus side of Kazuya getting in Smash is we're gonna get a lot of good Tekken music.

Just some tracks I would love to see in Smash, as unlikely as it is. Tekken has a strong selection of songs that the song list is making me drool at what it'll be.
Personally hoping they don't forget Tag 1. It's got some of my favorite tracks in the series.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m curious as to why they didn’t reveal the final character today alongside Kazuya. Are they really that obsessed with revealing them shortly before release now?
I mean, as much as I'd love them to have ended it here and now.

Why not is also a valid question. The September Direct, assuming we get one, which I'd put as 99%, seems very likely to be the last Direct of the year, and us suckers who obsess about Smash WILL watch it, which Nintendo wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom