• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Regarding 1 or 2 reveals at E3, even if there's precedence for more than one at the event, I kinda feel they'll go for just one reveal. The last character feels better to be kept for a "Final Presentation" (think Corrin/Bayonetta) later in the year. If they revealed the final characters now, we'd still just have to wait for that final presentation with not much of a surprise left, really.

This is assuming this is actually it for DLC, which by all means it points towards being.
The thing that gets me about the whole "Final Presentation" thing is, while it'd be one sure, it'd be kinda just that in name only and not much else.

Smash 4's revealed a lot, 2 characters, 2 stages, and a handful of other things like Cloud's moveset, while this final presentation for Smash Ult... truthfully would just be another "Sakurai Presents", except it's just the last one, nothing else really special about it aside from "This is the final one."

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The thing that gets me about the whole "Final Presentation" thing is, while it'd be one sure, it'd be kinda just that in name only and not much else.

Smash 4's revealed a lot, 2 characters, 2 stages, and a handful of other things like Cloud's moveset, while this final presentation for Smash Ult... truthfully would just be another "Sakurai Presents", except it's just the last one, nothing else really special about it aside from "This is the final one."
Plus, Sakurai kinda soft-confirmed that the final two fighters will each get their own Sakurai Presents so they can’t even combine the two and slap a Final Smash Direct coat of paint on it.

Staarih

Smash Master
Yeah I guess "Final Presentation" was a wrong choice of words, it's obviously going to be just another Sakurai Presents, but the last one. I just wouldn't put it past them to stretch the surprise factor as long as possible and thus have the final character revealed at the final presentation. Sure, we had to wait for a while until the Banjo presentation after his reveal, but we knew more was coming after him. Now, to have the final character revealed and wait months for the presentation just feels... awkward. But maybe that's just me and honestly, E3 could literally go any way possible lol.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So how reliable is the leaker Nate again? He claims both FP10 and FP11 will both be revealed at E3 (June 15th).

Source:

Begins at 1:28:32.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Two reveals at E3 makes perfect sense to me.
And if Nintendo wants "one last surprise" for the final Smash presentation, I am sure they got something in store, whether it's a bonus fighter, a special mii costume, extra fighter costumes, or even a new ballot.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The only way a "FINAL SMASH DIRECT" would make sense would be if the DLC ID on the shop, skipping numbers/the added page on the NA Eshop ended up leading to a real final bonus character, otherwise it would just be a sakurai direct.

That or fp 10/11 release together-

osby

Smash Obsessed
Two reveals at E3 makes perfect sense to me.
And if Nintendo wants "one last surprise" for the final Smash presentation, I am sure they got something in store, whether it's a bonus fighter, a special mii costume, extra fighter costumes, or even a new ballot.
Honestly, I don't see how a ballot makes much sense.

The first one was used for a sequel that was in the works and arguably for quickly deciding on a DLC newcomer. This time, Sakurai is most likely not immediately move into a new Smash game and it's kinda pointless to ask for people's opinions when you're not gonna use them in the near future. They might use it to decide on a bonus newcomer... but that would take months of development time and everything points that Ultimate won't be getting newcomers after this year.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
These two are a Scrimblo Bimblo and Popular McJRPG Guy I've been supporting since before Ultimate was announced. I don't necessarily EXPECT (but do hope for) either of them at E3 if not both, but if they're there I'd be happy.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Also with an E3 double reveal, consider that Smash 4 ended with a double reveal of Corrin and Bayonetta when they could have easily stretched Bayonetta's reveal to 2016. If we do get a single reveal then this will be first E3 to only reveal a single character.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No Matter how Hype or Unhype the Last 2 characters are, there will be a question I always have

How Come they decided on Min Min being the first character, in your guys' Personal Opinion? Usually the first reveals are supposed to be huge bombshells, and Min Min I don't know was the character for that. I did hear Speculation that Sephiroth was actually supposed to be first, but that's neither here or there
Well, bombshell is kinda subjective. Or, rather, the hype for a character on the individual level is (hype differs from person to person). For myself personally, Min Min was my most hyped character from FP2 thus far. While the general consensus is that Steve/Sephiroth were the two biggest reveals. Likewise, when I woke up the morning after Joker was revealed, I was like “Wait, who? This is who they’re using to start off the Pass?” while for many others, it was a huge deal.

In terms of why Min Min was first, maybe they just didn’t feel like revealing their “bombshells” first. I’d say speculation would look and feel pretty different if Steve and Sephiroth were the leading characters of FP2, followed by Min Min and Pyra/Mythra. For a majority of people on this thread, 3rd parties have more of a hype factor. Let’s say the last 2 characters are a lesser known/Terry level 3rd party and another 1st party. For many people, they would claim the only good stretch of this final pass would be the Steve/Sephiroth start, because “third parties are more hype” and after that, we get 3 first parties followed by a smaller third party.

It may not make sense in terms of sales (or at least not in this small portion of the Smash community), because I’m sure most of you were much more invested in the pass after Steve/Sephiroth, but remember that you don’t even necessarily have to buy Min Min immediately. You can watch the pass keep going, and then say “Yo, Steve AND Sephiroth? SOLD!” and then purchase the full pass with Steve/Sephiroth and the “expectation” of more huge characters like them, with Min Min as a side bonus.

Min Min also may have been included to set the tone of “there will be more first party characters in this pass than the last one”, and lure in people who felt left out of FP1 due to lack of first party or familiar characters. ARMS was pushed hard when going through its release cycle, so many Switch owners have heard about it or played it. That combined with anyone’s lack of connectivity with the fighters presented in FP1 may have meant that those who were wanting to see more first party characters went ahead and bought FP2 after Min Min (and possibly Steve) because these two are characters that, while maybe in different “hype tiers” for those of us here, are both familiar faces to those who have stuck close to Nintendo the past few years, with ARMS being pushed as the new Splatoon during it’s release and Minecraft being the giant that it is.

In other words, while people here want to categorize what characters “bring the hype”, a more casual/general audience (which makes up more of the Smash fan base/community) might simply be more interested in “New character is cool.” or just happy to even get new characters.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Also with an E3 double reveal, consider that Smash 4 ended with a double reveal of Corrin and Bayonetta when they could have easily stretched Bayonetta's reveal to 2016.
I think it should be noted though that Corrin and Bayo were released the exact same day, it kinda made sense to reveal em together.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ayumi is kinda another character that really relies on the whole "BUT SAKURAI FROM 20 YEARS AGO SAID......" thing for a lot of her support.

Though I guess unlike Geno, she kinda has relevance outside of that with the remakes coming out recently.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Something something first party requests being bottom of the barrel.
Ah yes, the likes of Toad and Eevee are “bottom of the barrel” despite literally being far more popular and iconic in the real world than the vast majority of third-party characters we even discuss.

The only way I can see them reveal the last two fighters at this E3 is if they have more dlc characters in the work, whether it is a 3rd pass or just single character packs.
There's no reason for them to end dlc hype that they could milk until at least October, no way.
Except Sakurai literally said that DLC is ending soon. Besides, if Nintendo was obsessed with hype, they would have greenlit a few more DLC characters after this pass considering how profitable it has been.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ah yes, the likes of Toad and Eevee are “bottom of the barrel” despite literally being far more popular and iconic in the real world than the vast majority of third-party characters we even discuss.

Except Sakurai literally said that DLC is ending soon. Besides, if Nintendo was obsessed with hype, they would have greenlit a few more DLC characters after this pass considering how profitable it has been.
That's actually the only way I see a dual reveal happening, which is if we get more DLC after these last two characters, which is unlikely.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No matter what happens, we are not getting a Gen 8 Pokemon as playable characters since they have already been disconfirmed.

That's actually the only way I see a dual reveal happening, which is if we get more DLC after these last two characters, which is unlikely.
Dual reveals are the standard for E3.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Except it might not be anymore. Trends can always break at any moment.
But it makes more sense to assume it will finish soon due to what Sakurai explicitly stated than the final character being dragged out for months which would mean he was off about DLC ending soon.

What do you guys think is the most likely option?

1. 3rd party, 1st party
2. Both 3rd parties
3. Both 1st parties

Leaning towards the 1st option.
2, though that doesn’t guarantee either are huge characters, far from it.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's worth noting is that Nintendo may not necessarily care about dragging out Ultimate hype for another couple of months if they see more value in doing a dual reveal. Given that it's been in the public eye for over three years now, has shown off 9 (10 counting Plant) DLC fighters, and has become the best selling fighting game of all time, they may have concluded losing three more months of speculation/PR about the last fighter (and one that would end way before even the holiday season starts) is not that significant.

I'm not saying a double reveal will definitely happen, just that it is a scenario where one could easily imagine Nintendo concluding that the pros of doing so at E3 outweigh any cons.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
But it makes more sense to assume it will finish soon due to what Sakurai explicitly stated than the final character being dragged out for months which would mean he was off about DLC ending soon.
Technically, that phrasing is vague. We know Smash DLC is ending this year, we just don't know when. And besides, it would mean that both fighters will drop in late June-early July, as all fighters since Byleth have been released within weeks of their announcement, which I think is due to uncertainties brought upon the development team as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
What's worth noting is that Nintendo may not necessarily care about dragging out Ultimate hype for another couple of months if they see more value in doing a dual reveal. Given that it's been in the public eye for over three years now, has shown off 9 (10 counting Plant) DLC fighters, and has become the best selling fighting game of all time, they may have concluded losing three more months of speculation/PR about the last fighter (and one that would end way before even the holiday season starts) is not that significant.

I'm not saying a double reveal will definitely happen, just that it is a scenario where one could easily imagine Nintendo concluding that the pros of doing so at E3 outweigh any cons.
That and, you know, if Nintendo actually cared about extending DLC hype, they’d greenlit more DLC characters to keep our attention for longer instead of just ending after the second pass.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

1. 3rd party, 1st party
2. Both 3rd parties
3. Both 1st parties

Honestly, 1

One 3rd party I'm up in the air on, and one 1st party cuz I'm starting to be pretty adamant on Waluigi in particular

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anything assuming we get a bonus character Waluigi would fit more for something like that. Otherwise I wouldn't expect him until next game.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m curious what makes people think Waluigi is still happening. I’m not saying he’s impossible but I wouldn’t really expect an assist trophy to be promoted in the same game. If that’s on the table, I’d personally love to see Zero, Guile, or the Black Knight.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I’m curious what makes people think Waluigi is still happening. I’m not saying he’s impossible but I wouldn’t really expect an assist trophy to be promoted in the same game. If that’s on the table, I’d personally love to see Zero, Guile, or the Black Knight.
Because the massive outcry which even made it onto this article obviously and Reggie responding to it duh! So he's obviously an exceptional case!

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Some people hope that Captain Toad will come as next DLC newcomer to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but Captain Toad does not know how to make leaps in his game, so it is impossible for him to come.
Maybe he could summon a rising platform under him for each of his jumps?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
He has the overwhelming demand to make up for it, and that assist is recycled from 4 with relics from Brawl's Wii hardware anyway so they're not throwing away years of Ultimate-specific work.

Personally I think they'd go for an assist from a series with less content, because, well, the series would have less content and it seems FP2 was planned even earlier than 2019 judging by when we know Nintendo/Sakurai first got the idea to add ARMS, Steve, Sephiroth, and XC2, meaning all characters could've been locked in before the Waluigi backdraft.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

1. 3rd party, 1st party
2. Both 3rd parties
3. Both 1st parties

2B2B2FAA-7538-451A-9469-78E4EB8F4409.jpeg

Bottom text. :4pacman:

But in my opinion, option 1. Third parties are too big a deal to not include, but I also have always thought this pass would be a more equal split between first and third parties as opposed to FP1.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I just read on GameFAQs that some leaker is saying that we’re going to get a double reveal at E3. I have no idea if that leaker is credible or not but that would be interesting. Whether we get both at E3 or just one, it’s definitely going to be a weird feeling once all the DLC is confirmed and there is nothing left to speculate on. I’ve been holding off modding Ultimate until all the DLC is released so that should definitely keep me interested for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom