• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't expect any more Western characters. I think that B&K and Steve are all we're getting in that department.
Maybe we could expect one more Western guy/gal at best? I will agree, however, to not expect 2 of them.

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Because the massive outcry which even made it onto this article obviously and Reggie responding to it duh! So he's obviously an exceptional case!
I mean, him being the only potential newcomer whose demand has been acknowledged by Nintendo (through Reginald Bodyready) does make him exceptional among any newcomers we may discuss, by definition. Certainly among those discussed regularly, at least.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
"Why are we always talking about the same topics on a weekly basis?"

Well, we are really close to Ninty's E3 presentation; it's no mystery why we keep talking about single reveals dual reveal.
I meant the same debates of “this character vs that character” to get in and only talking about a select group of characters to be considered reasonable. But it was only a joke, hence the :4pacman: .

Technomage

Smash Champion
Jrpg got trending on Twitter because some people are ******** about the amount of Jrpg characters in a japanese-made game
That has given me an idea for a question: Do those people lump non-RPG anime characters (like the Street Fighter and Kid Icarus peeps) with the JRPG dudes/dudettes?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Speaking of western character we already got some however what if Nintendo wants to appeal to the Chinese gaming marked instead and adds league of legends rep as DLC to boost Nintendo switch and smash sales as it is known that one of the most popular game in China for many years has been league of legends

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Jrpg got trending on Twitter because some people are ******** about the amount of Jrpg characters in a japanese-made game

Yep, it is going to be quite amusing to see the reaction if Lloyd/Yuri or some other RPG character is the big E3 reveal. :4pacman:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Speaking of western character we already got some however what if Nintendo wants to appeal to the Chinese gaming marked instead and adds league of legends rep as DLC to boost Nintendo switch and smash sales as it is known that one of the most popular game in China for many years has been league of legends
Or maybe a character from a game that originated in China? Are there any game chars that fit the bill?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
No matter what, first-party or third-party, the next character getting some salt is inevitable. Isn’t that right, :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra:?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Yep, it is going to be quite amusing to see the reaction if Lloyd/Yuri or some other RPG character is the big E3 reveal. :4pacman:
We obviously need Jin from Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, a blue-haired anime swordsman from a platform game that would make everyone happy.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Part of the reason I support Arle is because I do think the puzzle genre could use a bit more love, but the funny thing is that she starred off from an RPG series, Madou Monogatari. If she does make it in, I wonder if people are going to be quick to point out that she is technically an RPG rep. :p

Stratos

Smash Ace
Maybe he could summon a rising platform under him for each of his jumps?
I was wondering if he was not jumping because of his bag which is supposed to be heavy. But no one ever knows how he will come as a newcomer.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
All this bickering between RPG fans and Platformer fans is getting tiring. Both of you ******** have a ton of characters, meanwhile poor FPS fans gotta eat nothing 😔
You have Dark Samus now join us in the war you ungrateful swine.

For real though there's something funmy about FPS games being the biggest genre in the last 20 years or so and Smash just has not capitalized off of it, sure, it's because Old Man Nintendo is scared of new things but still

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think the issue with FPS is that for most if not all of the game you don't see the characters themselves, rare exceptions asides.
Meaning it's harder to sell the character as well... a character.
How do you retranscribe and adapt something you never see. From their animations to mimics. To visual standpoint.

But **** me id love doomguy or Master Chief in.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
All this bickering between RPG fans and Platformer fans is getting tiring. Both of you ******** have a ton of characters, meanwhile poor FPS fans gotta eat nothing 😔
I just sketched something about that whole thing, how FPS and Hack-&-Slash fans don’t have to be at another genre’s throats.
EFAD403A-8F2C-4157-8950-67E3A3471475.jpeg

Why yes, I do know one of them Is highly unlikely, but I’m not letting go just yet.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Or maybe a character from a game that originated in China? Are there any game chars that fit the bill?
I couldn’t think of any characters from the ones originated in China that is recognizable internationally
Someone called?

It is fair to say that since most Chinese studios were concerned with publishing stuff internally historically, but aside from GI (which is under mihoyo, based in Shanghai):

• Azur Lane (developers include Shanghai Manjuu, Xiamen Yongshi. the devs are under publisher Bilibili, China's Youtube / Crunchyroll)
  • Bright Memory (Infinite) (Indie dev FYQD Studios, originally 23-year old Zeng “FYQD” Xiancheng)
  • Lost Soul Aside (Indie dev - I believe - UltiZero Games)
  • Party Animals (Dev Recreate Games is seemingly under London-based publisher Source Technology)

Other devs include Tencent's TiMi (their primary mobile game dev, the ones doing Pokemon Unite, recently opened a main office in LA), Lightspeed / Quantum (their other mobile game dev, Tencent has a "dog-eat-dog" method of pitting dev studios against each other on projects) and NeXT (their "indie" dev except not really). The other primary publisher in the country is NetEase, who have their own devs (incl. a recently opened studio in Japan) and methods.

Not counting on that happening until Smash 6 at the earliest due to the relative lack of interaction historically, the difficulties of getting official releases there (thanks to an onerous government bueraucracy), and corps there releasing games internationally only recently. A lot of the biggest games there have either remained exclusive there, seen total reskins internationally, or been foreign games whether officially published (NetEase publishes both WoW and Minecraft in the country, for instance, while Tencent publishes LoL) or people just going with the global version of Steam (still available officially there AFAIK).

I think the issue with FPS is that for most if not all of the game you don't see the characters themselves, rare exceptions asides.
Meaning it's harder to sell the character as well... a character.
How do you retranscribe and adapt something you never see. From their animations to mimics. To visual standpoint.

But **** me id love doomguy or Master Chief in.
TBF, FPSes also usually take a different angle or PoV when it comes to cutscenes (or when the player dies in multiplayer), which does mitigate that to some degree.

What do you guys think is the most likely option?

1. 3rd party, 1st party
2. Both 3rd parties
3. Both 1st parties

Leaning towards the 1st option.
Think option 2 is the most likely, with the 1st closely behind (although I'm struggling to see Nintendo games they would be interested in including after ARMS / XC2), with option 3 being pretty unlikely but not entirely impossible.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Someone called?

It is fair to say that since most Chinese studios were concerned with publishing stuff internally historically, but aside from GI (which is under mihoyo, based in Shanghai):

• Azur Lane (developers include Shanghai Manjuu, Xiamen Yongshi. the devs are under publisher Bilibili, China's Youtube / Crunchyroll)
Oh god, people talk about how difficult a rep would be for LoL, but Azur Lane is even worse. There's over 450 characters in that game.
For people in the unknown, there is an entire list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom