• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Looking at all the Nintendo franchises with playable representation and what characters they got as newcomers this time.

:ultmario:: :ultdaisy: (Echo), :ultpiranha:
:ultdk:: :ultkrool:
:ultlink:: None, got :ultyounglink: back.
:ultsamus:: :ultridley:, :ultdarksamus: (Echo)
:ultyoshi:: None.
:ultkirby:: None.
:ultfox:: None, got :ultwolf: back
:ultpikachu:: :ultincineroar: (in addition to getting :ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:) back)
:ultness:: None.
:ultfalcon:: None.
:ulticeclimbers:: None and what a shame as we all wanted the Polar Bear with Sunglasses.
:ultmarth:: :ultchrom: (Echo), :ultbyleth:
:ultgnw:: No Miss Game & Watch!?!
:ultpit:: None
:ultwario:: None.
:ultolimar:: None.
:ultrob:: None as he’s the last of his kind.
:ultvillager:: :ultisabelle:
:ultwiifittrainer:: None because how would a balance board even work? :p
:ultlittlemac:: None.
:ultshulk:: :ultpyra: & :ultpyra: as a transformation duo.
:ultduckhunt:: None, for obvious reasons.
:ultinkling:: Just got introduced in this game.
:ultminmin: Just got introduced in this game.

So yeah, just something interesting.
i've got my preferences spelled out just a couple posts ago, but tbh if any of those "none" blanks got filled in for CP 10/11 i'd be jazzed.

if Pikmin got another rep i'd want it to be Louie - but to help him stand out from Olimar, i'd play up his connection to bugs and base his whole moveset around commanding the nasty creatures living on PNF-404. Titan Dweevil Final Smash, anyone?

Twilord

Smash Ace
Definitely not a bad idea. The two franchises have a lot of overlap in terms of fans.
While Crash is more popular there is certainly nothing wrong with Spyro.
The other thing that stands out to me is that Skylanders was HUGE and so Spyro kinda has a whole extra generation of fans.

A much worse idea for the Japanese audience specifically.
Please expand.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
The other thing that stands out to me is that Skylanders was HUGE and so Spyro kinda has a whole extra generation of fans.

Please expand.
I believe it is because Spyro didn't sell well compared in Japan while Crash is fairly popular over there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Please expand
There were concerns about this crazy new 3d gameplay being too confusing or potentially cause motion sickness or something so they ****ing gutted the framerate, making the game so much worse that Japan ****ing hated it.

Which uhhh is kinda ironic as the remakes caused motion sickness

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I believe it is because Spyro didn't sell well compared in Japan while Crash is fairly popular over there.
It's mainly due to Spyro being localized terribly. They thought Japanese gamers wouldn't be able to handle the Western version, so they got...a boring, slow game with a worse camera.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Please expand.
Oh yeah, definitely. I myself was apart of the Skylanders generation so I’ve always been more a fan of having Spyro than Crash.
Ah, Skylanders appreciation. You love to see it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There were concerns about this crazy new 3d gameplay being too confusing or potentially cause motion sickness or something so they ****ing gutted the framerate, making the game so much worse that Japan ****ing hated it.

It was so bad that they didn't bother localising the third game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Looking at all the Nintendo franchises with playable representation and what characters they got as newcomers this time.

:ultmario:: :ultdaisy: (Echo), :ultpiranha:
:ultdk:: :ultkrool:
:ultlink:: None, got :ultyounglink: back.
:ultsamus:: :ultridley:, :ultdarksamus: (Echo)
:ultyoshi:: None.
:ultkirby:: None.
:ultfox:: None, got :ultwolf: back
:ultpikachu:: :ultincineroar: (in addition to getting :ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:) back)
:ultness:: None.
:ultfalcon:: None.
:ulticeclimbers:: None and what a shame as we all wanted the Polar Bear with Sunglasses.
:ultmarth:: :ultchrom: (Echo), :ultbyleth:
:ultgnw:: No Miss Game & Watch!?!
:ultpit:: None
:ultwario:: None.
:ultolimar:: None.
:ultrob:: None as he’s the last of his kind.
:ultvillager:: :ultisabelle:
:ultwiifittrainer:: None because how would a balance board even work? :p
:ultlittlemac:: None.
:ultshulk:: :ultpyra: & :ultpyra: as a transformation duo.
:ultduckhunt:: None, for obvious reasons.
:ultinkling:: Just got introduced in this game.
:ultminmin: Just got introduced in this game.

So yeah, just something interesting.
So in other words:

Got a newcomer: Mario, DK, Metroid, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Xenoblade
Got a veteran back: Zelda, Star Fox, Pokemon, Ice Climber (whole universe returned after Smash 4)
Got introduced through this game: Splatoon, ARMS
Got zitch: everyone else

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
That, and because Namco has quite a few characters that'd be great for Smash, such as Heihachi Mishima, Nightmare, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Agumon, Mametchi, Solaire of Astora, Chosen Undead, Reiji Arisu, Klonoa, KOS-MOS, the Katamari Prince, a .hack character, and the Valkyrie.
Topped off by the fact that PAC-MAN is currently the only Namco rep.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Third game didn't even release in Japan

If I remember correctly they didn't just destroy the framerate they also gave it a fixed camera making the problem worse.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Tried to see how big Skylanders was in Japan.
The first game didn't reach Japan until July 2013, a year and a half after the game first came out, in America. And for some reason, Square Enix published it.
Still hit big!

Could help Spyro over Crash.
Skylanders content in general in smash isn't impossible. Series was big enough for a Netflix show and a Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Eruptor Balloon (Who also made a Crash 4 cameo!)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tried to see how big Skylanders was in Japan.
The first game didn't reach Japan until July 2013, a year and a half after the game first came out, in America. And for some reason, Square Enix published it.
Still hit big!

Could help Spyro over Crash.
Skylanders content in general in smash isn't impossible. Series was big enough for a Netflix show and a Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade: Eruptor Balloon (Who also made a Crash 4 cameo!)
Man, I miss Skylanders...

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My 9 picks for new ballot

1. Everyone is here
2. Pico (F-Zero)
3. Sol Badguy
4. Sora
5. Jin Kazama
6. Klonoa
7. Crash Bandicoot
8. Axel Stone
9. Sgt. Cortez

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok if Spyro happens, I'd LOVE to see a Skylanders-based mechanic appear where the fairy Persephone "upgrades" Spyro's moveset (similar to Steve's Crafting Table); maybe have him get coins as he does or takes damage and his specials either change or get stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
9 votes for a future ballot?

1. Someone from Rhythm Heaven
2. Farmer
3. Sora
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. Bandanna Waddle Dee
7. Elma
8. Master Chief
9. Segata Sanshiro (Hey, I need to shill one never-ever)

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace

Oh that is fascinating; thanks for letting me know.

Oh yeah, definitely. I myself was apart of the Skylanders generation so I’ve always been more a fan of having Spyro than Crash.

Would also be fun because they would work as a semi-rival to Yoshi (dragon VS dinosaur; both with epic eggdventures).

Currently we have:

Mario and Sonic
The icons of true gaming rivalry. Mario killed Sonic's parent consoles and then forced him into servitude.

Kirby and Pac-Man
Gaming's biggest appetites, only a matter of time till they steal each other's food.

DK and Banjo
Both are Rare's major legacy, once family now on different consoles. Sounds like a blood-feud in the making to me.

Fox and Bayonetta
Both had their last games made by Platinum, both have flown Arwings, both are arcadey-action series with a focuse on replay value, and Fox probably hates the fact Bayonetta had the better Wii-U Star-Fox game just by cosplaying as him.

Link and Hero
I know 'Link and Cloud' is the cliche, but Link and Hero are the two huge legacies of fantasy game heroes. Hell, most Link have a moniker of being 'The Hero Of'; which must be pretty annoying to for Dragon Quest's Heroes - Link has effortlessly stolen their very name just to cram it into hammerspace!

Samus and Simon
The Metroidvania has forced these two into proximity. Samus's technology is probably seems like Magic to Simon; and she's tired of Simon trying to spray her with Holy Water. If he doesn't knock it off, she'll have no choice but to blow up his planet.

That just leaves two; and Spyro would be the best possible match for Yoshi.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also, I'll add on the 9 character ballon thing. Why not?

1. Scorpion
2. Master Chief
3. Kratos
4. Red the Angry Birds
5. Henry Stickmin
6. Lara Croft
7. Garchomp
8. Axel Stone
9. Gill Grunt

REPOST CUZ I DOUBLE POSTED BY ACCIDENT AND SELF-REPORTED IT ALREADY

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My 9 picks for new ballot

1. Everyone is here
2. Pico (F-Zero)
3. Sol Badguy
4. Sora
5. Jin Kazama
6. Klonoa
7. Crash Bandicoot
8. Axel Stone
9. Sgt. Cortez
I was thinking of adding Everyone is Here Again to my list but since it’s a concept...

eh, I may yeet Violet for that instead. I’m sure she’s planned anyway cuz of the Jane thing

SKX31

Smash Master
How bad of an idea would it be to put in Spyro over Crash?

I don't really know either franchise but I have a softspot for quadrupeds...
It wouldn't be a horrible idea overall from a business or reception standpoint.

Now yes, the Japan factor's been mentioned - and it is a real negative factor towards his chances and reception there given who develops / publishes Smash. But if many Japanese went "WTF?" at the sight of :4littlemac: and Smash didn't suffer from that I don't believe it's a deal-breaker towards Spyro. I mean, there's been numerous times when "Literal who?" came up and it didn't impact Smash. Case in point: :ult_terry: , who went on to become very popular to play (presumably the 2nd most played DLC character so far only behind Joker).

Now, Crash does have a Cloud-esque status as one of the PS1's symbols, but Spyro's not that far behind really.

And my 9 picks, I'm going to intentionally spread them:

1. Dota 2 / LoL representative (Leaning towards Lina / Ahri).
2. KOS-MOS
3. Master Chief
4. Reimu
5. Ring Fit
6. Dante
7. Style Savvy
8. Kratos
9. Scorpion

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Just wondering why do people want another Namco rep?
...because a couple of the characters on my wishlist come from Namco.

It also doesn't help that Chrono Trigger doesn't actually have that much of a western fanbase to begin with.
Mmm, I feel like that's an "at the time" thing. It was a bit of a cult classic at first, simply because it came out pretty late on the SNES and was hard to find.

But now adays, it's widely considered to be one of the best SE games ever made, and one of the best JRPGs ever made, by the wider gaming community. And it's rereleases sell massively well.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
1. Sol Badguy
2. Chun-Li
3. Dante
4. Ryu Hayabusa
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Toad
7. Doom Slayer
8. Impa (AOC)
9. Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy