• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I think the point is not so much that Nintendo characters can't be revealed at E3, as much as it is that there's always been at least "big" reveal that they've been complementary to.

Like people always point out how Palutena was revealed at E3 2014, but that said E3 still nonetheless had Pac-Man also unveiled, even if it was weirdly behind doors. It's kinda why people speculate that E3 2020 may of revealed Min Min and Steve together.
Don't forget the bombshells that were amiibo and Miis.

Ivander

Smash Legend
That said, Konami also saw fit to include PH in that Kart game and as a guest in Bomberman, so... maybe they'd find a way to make it work, I dunno.
And that International Track & Field game.
No, I'm going to start talking about Ryus from Street Fighter, Ninja Gaiden, and Breath of Fire without clarification for pure spite.
Can we talk about other Ryus as well, like Ryuichi Naruhodo, Ryuta Kawashima, Ryuuta Ippongi, Strider Hiryu and Kazama Kiryu?

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Like people always point out how Palutena was revealed at E3 2014, but that said E3 still nonetheless had Pac-Man also unveiled, even if it was weirdly behind doors. It's kinda why people speculate that E3 2020 may of revealed Min Min and Steve together.
To take it a step further, Miis were also revealed on main stage.

Sure, to most of us Miis don’t scream hype, but try to look at it from Nintendo’s perspective. YOU can be in Smash, ANYONE can be in Smash. If not for the hardcore Smash fans, this was a reveal for the casuals and those who needed convincing to get into the series.

Not to mention how Miis brought in a brand new mechanic for Smash 4, moveset customization. Which ended up being a fairly big focus for that game, and one of the only things that sets it apart from Ultimate nowadays. So pair those up with the absolutely legendary Reggie vs Iwata battle and I feel like this was intended to be Nintendo’s blockbuster Smash reveal that year. They just decided to open with it instead.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Can we talk about other Ryus as well, like Ryuichi Naruhodo, Ryuta Kawashima, Ryuuta Ippongi, Strider Hiryu and Kazama Kiryu?
Sure alongside talking about Ken Masters, Barbie's boyfriend, top Jeopardy contestant Ken Jennings, Ken Amada, Ken Rosenberg, and the Ken behind this album
by request only.jpg

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here’s a question, though maybe only tangentially related. Do we think we’ll get news on Amiibo for FP2 characters at E3? Or will we need to wait for the CP10 Sakurai Presents?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's also the fact that there are a lot of people who hate the second game for its political propaganda. After all, if you go woke, you go broke.
Ah yes, such hotly debated political statements as "can women have muscles?" and "do gay people exist?".

From what I've heard, there's things to complain about in TLOU2, just... not that.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
-Cinderace revealed

-Fandom explodes into a mess of toxicity and doomcrying

-Meanwhile me, the guy who doesn't care about 3rd party VS. 1st party hype wars and just likes characters from things I like:

Too each their own, man, but I'mma gonna lose it if Galar gets in in the end. Music alone makes it worth it. :drshrug:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Meanwhile me, the guy who doesn't care about 3rd party VS. 1st party hype wars
That’s all well and good, but I’m pretty sure most of the criticism toward another Pokemon is entirely separate from criticism of first parties in general. There are plenty of Nintendo characters that I’m sure people would be welcoming with open arms.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
That’s all well and good, but I’m pretty sure most of the criticism toward another Pokemon is entirely separate from criticism of first parties in general. There are plenty of Nintendo characters that I’m sure people would be welcoming with open arms.
I mean, yeah, I get it: I just always find it funny how against it I see peeps are.

Nothin' wrong with it, it's just a goofy 'ol video game, but NGL if it ends up happening like I expect, I'm gonna get a hearty chuckle outta it.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
i'm not even opposed to a pokemon, generally speaking, i just didn't like galar very much and that's what would likely be next in line. if by some twist of fate it was one of the Legends: Arceus starters, i'd be thrilled

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sure alongside talking about Ken Masters, Barbie's boyfriend, top Jeopardy contestant Ken Jennings, Ken Amada, Ken Rosenberg, and the Ken behind this album
View attachment 316220
Don't forget Kenny McCormick and Kenny Rogers. :4pacman:

We also have Mario Lopez, Doug Bowser, the restaurant named Wendy's, Ludwig von Beethoven, King Kong, Zelda Williams, the Iron Sheik, Fox from Bloody Roar, the Blue Falcon, George Lucas, Lucas Barton, Roy Mustang, Roy Campbell, Hannibal Roy Spleen, Mike and Ikes, Ike Eisenhower, Ike Broflofski, Batman's sidekick Robin, Nico Robin, Robin Hood, ALF, Rob Schneider, Rob Zombie, Snake/Iroquois Pliskin, Snake from The Simpsons, Snake from Powerpuff Girls, Sonic the restaurant, Mega Man from South Park, Ripley from Alien, Google Chrom, Isabelle from Phineas and Ferb, a Mythra from Final Fantasy 11, Simon the Chipmunk, Batman's arch-nemesis Joker, Terry McGinnis, Steven Universe, Alex from Totally Spies, and Alexis Rhodes from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. :4pacman:

Ah yes, such hotly debated political statements as "can women have muscles?" and "do gay people exist?".

From what I've heard, there's things to complain about in TLOU2, just... not that.
Actually, there is real propaganda in the game, such as the cult that the devs created to spread hate against Christians.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
While on the off topic topic of topics (TLOU2), the game is, regardless of the low hanging bait (Buff chicks/gay people 'bad' that the internet so foolishly loves to talk about), the game is just horrendously written, lacks nuance, the game itself feels preachy/pretentious/manipulative and the gameplay is nothing special if not entirely feeling identical to its predecessor...for reasons. It's, at best, mediocre.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman

Lol, it's hilarious that people consider it "political propaganda".

Of course I won't debate on personal preferences; whether someone liked it or not I don't care. But anyway, there is little to complain about the game, even without considering that stuff that still piss some people off.
Though, I wouldn't like a character like Joel or Ellie (or even Nathan Drake if we consider Uncharted): I don't think that this type of gameplay would be translated well into Smash. I'd prefer someone like Kratos if I have to choose a Sony rep.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Don't forget Kenny McCormick and Kenny Rogers. :4pacman:

We also have Mario Lopez, Doug Bowser, the restaurant named Wendy's, Ludwig von Beethoven, King Kong, Zelda Williams, the Iron Sheik, Fox from Bloody Roar, the Blue Falcon, George Lucas, Lucas Barton, Roy Mustang, Roy Campbell, Hannibal Roy Spleen, Mike and Ikes, Ike Eisenhower, Ike Broflofski, Batman's sidekick Robin, Nico Robin, Robin Hood, ALF, Rob Schneider, Rob Zombie, Snake/Iroquois Pliskin, Snake from The Simpsons, Snake from Powerpuff Girls, Sonic the restaurant, Mega Man from South Park, Ripley from Alien, Google Chrom, Isabelle from Phineas and Ferb, a Mythra from Final Fantasy 11, Simon the Chipmunk, Batman's arch-nemesis Joker, Terry McGinnis, Steven Universe, Alex from Totally Spies, and Alexis Rhodes from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. :4pacman:

Actually, there is real propaganda in the game, such as the cult that the devs created to spread hate against Christians.
First, Alexis is best Yu-Gi-Oh Waifu, don't @ me.

Second, did they SERIOUSLY include an Anti-Christian cult? Come the [CENSORED] on! I feel enough shame from what my fellow Christians have done (to the point where I consider myself a poor example of a Christian), I don't need game devs making it worse!

Wait, why am I talking about this here, and not on Twitter? Dang it, it happened...

Back to Smash, quick! I don't care what it is, I just wanna forget I just now typed this!

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think we are getting into dangerous territory with the propaganda thing. Not to be a mini-mod, but you all should be careful here.

Second, did they SERIOUSLY include an Anti-Christian cult? Come the [CENSORED] on! I feel enough shame from what my fellow Christians have done (to the point where I consider myself a poor example of a Christian), I don't need game devs making it worse!

Wait, why am I talking about this here, and not on Twitter? Dang it, it happened...

Back to Smash, quick! I don't care what it is, I just wanna forget I just now typed this!
Okay, I'll switch to a different topic: I remember someone talking about a potential Pokemon rep, being either a Gen 8 Mon or a rep from legends Arceus; which should it be?

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Okay, I'll switch to a different topic: I remember someone talking about a potential Pokemon rep, being either a Gen 8 Mon or a rep from legends Arceus; which should it be?
if Legends doesn't introduce new forms for its starters, then it'll definitely be galar. if it does have new forms... i mean it's still gonna be galar, let's not kid ourselves. cinderace feels like the most likely outcome, but i'd personally prefer samurott, typhlosion, or especially decidueye

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Considering the fact that Legends: Arceus doesn't even have a solid release date, and also the fact that the game is still technically part of Gen 8, my Money would go to gen 8, Although personally I wouldn't even bet on a Pokemon rep at all.

Technomage

Smash Champion
if Legends doesn't introduce new forms for its starters, then it'll definitely be galar. if it does have new forms... i mean it's still gonna be galar, let's not kid ourselves. cinderace feels like the most likely outcome, but i'd personally prefer samurott, typhlosion, or especially decidueye
I'd personally prefer a Mon that isn't a third starter in a row; that'd just be formulaic and boring. 💤

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
While on the off topic topic of topics (TLOU2), the game is, regardless of the low hanging bait (Buff chicks/gay people 'bad' that the internet so foolishly loves to talk about), the game is just horrendously written, lacks nuance, the game itself feels preachy/pretentious and the gameplay is nothing special if not entirely feeling identical to its predecessor...for reasons. It's, at best, mediocre.
"If not entirely identical to the predecessor"
I won't go in depth, but the gameplay was a huge evolution of the gameplay from the first one: everything was improved and refined almost to perfection. And honestly it's one of the best gameplays you can find from games of that specific genre.
There are a lot of different situations and you can approach every single one of them in many different ways. Melee combat is satisfying where it wasn't in the first game, stealth is also great. The level design helps the gameplay being a lot more dynamic and diversified. Looting moments perfectly tie with combat moments and feels more natural.
It's just on another level compared to the first game.

"Horrendously written"
No, just no.
I've spent hours and hours last year debating about it and debunking all the incorrect things people said about too many (specific) scenes. I won't do it again beacuse I don't want to waste my time anymore. But except for a poor pacing, TLOU2 is not not even remotely bad written.

But hey, I guess I should keep it more Smash-related, so... Abby for Smash! :smash:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
If they have a Pokemon rep lined up, I think they'll take the Arms route and announce it before hand. "It's Pokemon! But who? Dugtrio?"

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
As always, I hope it doesn't happen and we get my boy Grovyle instead! :)
But it won't happen, so... maybe in Legends: Arceus some pokémon will get some new forms that could potentially be a new rep? Idk honestly...

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Hey, if you are legitimately helping people, regardless of their beliefs, skin or political stances, and you are being an encouragement to other people by being a good example and not by forcing them, you're a better example than most of the ones who claim to be. There is nothing wrong with admitting the messed-up stuff that some "Christians" have done, and that makes it all the more why we need to be that good example to others when we need to be.

Okay, not continuing the topic and that aside, yes Alexis is best Yugioh girl.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's kinda funny to think that, had PSABR been made today, Joel/Ellie/Abby would of been headliner characters for it.

and Knack baybeeee

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's kinda funny to think that, had PSABR been made today, Joel/Ellie/Abby would of been headliner characters for it.

and Knack baybeeee
Abby would have been certainly my punching bag if she were added...I don't understand what people sees in that psycho *****.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think, without stepping onto many mines that the difference between Players and Journalist reaction to The Last of Us Part II really show how disconected sometimes people are and that everyone can have their own opinion.

However I still do this day refuse to believe the dev team wrote a story where you spend Half of the game hating a character, and the other half playing said character we hate, without giving us any redeemable trait and at the end, not giving the player the satisfaction to reach the goal that they themselves want, even by giving US the choice to accomplish it or not after living both point of view.
Looked at it and went like.

"Yeah, people will love it"

The Last Of Us Part II is probably the worst story i've played and experienced in 2020.

--------

Now that my tiny rant about how I wasted 70$ is done, I wonder when you guys expect the next DLC to be out, not revealed, but out? June? July? Or August?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
So did you fall asleep when Ryu was also revealed at that very same E3 or
Yeah, Ryu isn't exactly hype for me. :p

But seriously, i know Ryu is the one main course and the one that is meant to hype people up as the big reveal and Roy was just an appetizer, but it doesn't change the fact that they reveal Roy at E3.

You could say that it was akward timing, but it doesn't change the fact that we may not be getting the super hype reveal we want, and if it is one, it WILL be the last one.

Maybe im just being pessimistic, i mean Smash Speculation at E3 always tends to be during the beggining or medium high-end of the hype cycle, not the finale.

I mean im starting to consider that we may only see ONE character at E3, obviously past precedent goes against this idea, but still.

Last edited:

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
I'd personally prefer a Mon that isn't a third starter in a row; that'd just be formulaic and boring. 💤
i get that, yeah. back in the run up to smash 4 i had wanted Genesect over any gen 6 pokemon, starter or otherwise. and while Decidueye was my second choice for Ultimate, my first choice (either of the quadrupedal Lycanrocs) didn't seem to have nearly as much traction, so i hopped on the bigger bandwagon. (truth be told i was mostly on the "anyone but Incineroar" train, but... y'know. at least i have Mewtwo and Lucario on the same roster)

gen 8 was my least favorite in several ways, especially pokemon, so this time it makes no difference to me. Ace is just the most common name i see going around

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I just found Last of Us II to be... okay. It has some interesting ideas its inconsistent in executing and the story probably needed another draft to punch up the weaker character elements. I find it neither as brilliant as its supporters suggest nor as bad its haters allege and in all honestly it just came across as the bog standard cinematic AAA Sony game. Fine for what it is, but a game that feels far memorable due to the online fights about it than anything else.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ok so I just beat a critically acclaimed JRPG from a long running franchise of which the protagonist, Lloyd, is a dual wielder and I think he'd be neat, even if there's a girl protag in a different installment that I'd vastly prefer.
View attachment 316228

I love Trails
Thinking that Falcom won't push for Rean like the past 6 years

Aha... You wish...Aha...

Yeah, Ryu isn't exactly hype for me. :p

But seriously, i know Ryu is the one main course and the one that is meant to hype people up as the big reveal and Roy was just an appetizer, but it doesn't change the fact that they reveal Roy at E3.

You could say that it was akward timing, but it doesn't change the fact that we may not be getting the super hype reveal we want, and if it is one, it WILL be the last one.

Maybe im just being pessimistic, i mean Smash Speculation at E3 always tends to be during the beggining or medium high-end of the hype cycle, not the finale.

I mean im starting to consider that we may only see ONE character at E3, obviously past precedent goes against this idea, but still.
I don't think comparing Smash 4 DLC to Ultimate is fair.
Smash 4 DLC weren't planned at all from the beginning and scrambled while Sakurai was busy already working on Ultimate, while Ultimate had two season pass with scheduled release

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom