• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really care who's next.

I just wanna know who they are and when they release.

View attachment 315576
You're not alone, bud. I have never once cared about the origin or identity of a new character; as a matter of fact, I'm normally in stitches whenever I see people who do. All I care about is if they're fun.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
How much longer until he enters the Public Domain? If you think about it, it's just a waiting game at this point...
Bond isn't going into the public domain, because the public domain won't ever expand. Disney's not going to lose Mickey Mouse and Captain America money by them going into the public domain, and will bribe governments to make sure that doesn't happen.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Bond isn't going into the public domain, because the public domain won't ever expand. Disney's not going to lose Mickey Mouse and Captain America money by them going into the public domain, and will bribe governments to make sure that doesn't happen.
I mean... how much longer until Mickey enters the Public Domain? Because I feel like if Disney doesn't want to lose him, then they're running out of time to do something...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean... how much longer until Mickey enters the Public Domain? Because I feel like if Disney doesn't want to lose him, then they're running out of time to do something...
And Mickey as a whole won't be entering the public domain any time soon. It will just be his earliest appearances such as Steamboat Willie.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't actually know what a "japes" is, but I remember back when Public Domain became a thing again, people were making a big deal about how Mickey would be entering it soonish. Don't remember exactly when, though...
As far as I'm aware, intellectual property don't go into public domain unless no one claims it.

This is Japes.
That is Jungle Practical Joke.

SKX31

Smash Master
How much longer until he enters the Public Domain? If you think about it, it's just a waiting game at this point...
Since Fleming died in 1964, under current conditions Fleming's Bond stories will become public domain in 2034 (in most countries, incl. his native UK). Book Bond is already public domain in countries like Canada and Australia, who follow the initial "50 years after death" rule.

Of course, it'll still be really difficult to negotiate rights - especially since film Bond is going to see re-releases + new movies. And that's the Bond Sakurai thought about. But a tad easier I guess?

Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really care who's next.

I just wanna know who they are and when they release.

View attachment 315576
Joining this choir - not just to do so itself, but because I wanna point out what I've enjoyed with the DLC characters so far:

• :ultpiranha: : PLANT GANG, being an excellent example of Sakurai's "screw it" mentality, having a projectile that's bonkers.
  • :ultjoker: : "YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIIIIING!", has a very versatile playstyle that his most proficient users (not just MKLeo, but including him too) have especially highlighted, his challenger pack being all around great.
  • :ulthero: : Praying to RNG-esus never felt more satisfying, being an amazing character to use casually, and the thinking pose everytime one presses Down B.
  • :ultbanjokazooie: : Built as a solid all-rounder (even if surprisingly technical once one starts getting to the intermediate skill level - but that's also a bit of a plus, since it allows for crazier stuff), great overall challenger pack, nostalgia points.
  • :ult_terry: : 50 songs, being a really fun character partly because of the "oops-you-hit-a-button-in-neutral-here's-45%", one of the best DLC stages if not the best.
  • :ultbyleth: : Brought so many weapons that 50 % of his / her moveset is a kill move, having an interesting strategic gameplan, having some great music to come along.
  • :ultminmin : Testament to Sakurai and co. being able to bend but not break the Smash gameplay, another character that's potentially difficult to use but pretty rewarding for defensive play, the trailer was really well-animated, great challenger pack all around.
  • :ultsteve: : Already established as one of the most complex but potentially most rewarding characters alongside Icies and Rosa, being able to mindgame a lot of situations (Minecart could be a character all by itself), and some great tracks.
  • :ultsephiroth: : Feels like a final boss-esque character, being kinda difficult to use but very rewarding if one gets the hang of him, brought along with him a great stage, fixed the "2 songs" issue.
  • :ultpyra: : Brought back the transformation mechanic, able to confirm or extend to absurd %, has an overall very versatile gamestyle, brought in a pretty damn good stage.

And yes, I'll enjoy playing as CP10 and CP11 on similar grounds, no matter who they are. I'm that confident in Sakurai and co.

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Since you said other games in the genre, I have a theory to why Smash as this sort of conundrum

-Smash has a much bigger install base than other Fighting games. It's easier to get more hardcore speculators from the 20 Million that bought the game than Sub 10 mil that other Fighting games have

-Being a Crossover game, especially nowadays with many characters from other parties, there's many characters and things that could be speculated about when it comes to Smash. With other games like FighterZ, Tekken, Street Fighter, the roster is mostly limited to the characters from that franchise, so it narrows down the options to talk about (Tekken has guest fighters, but they stopped happening after Season 2)

-The Rampant nature of Rumors/Leaks/Theories juices up the discussion in the speculation community, so there's usually something new to talk about, even if fake. Other Fighting games do have this, but they are Nowhere near as frantic as it can be for Smash. There's less of Rumors/Leaks nowdays during this speculation cycle, and notice how when there's less of those, there's less discussion being around Smash

-The Advertisement for Smash is unlike most of what I've seen from other Fighting games. For Base game, There was usually something new to look forward to everyday, (well not counting the Weekend). these could just be new pics of the game or some actual news, but it would keep people on the edge of their seats and such. Other Fighting games usually show something new like every month or 2, and then just disappear.

Along with that, Smash 4 and onwards, the Trailers became a large spectacle you don't usually see from Fighting game trailers. Usually Fighting game trailers usually only use Ingame footage, they showcase the moveset, the render, and that's that.

Smash uses these high quality produced trailers, usually involving CGI, to show off their characters. It's just something you usually don't see often, and combine this with the fact that the So many options for what the trailer could be for, considering it is a Crossover fighter, and with each reveal, people are most especially gonna be paying attention and are going to be on a large High from the trailer. It's not just the surprise of who the character is, but also that the surprise itself looks so Epic and awesome and such.

And the final aspect of the advertisement is the presentations we started getting since Smash 4. These presentations, especially during Base game, would show off New info on large parts of the game, and it's exciting to behold. They've also are a large part of the reason that the fanbase has such an attachment to Sakurai, since with these presentations, we get to See Sakurai in his glory (of his public persona at least). Most other fighting games just show off their trailers and that's that. Trailers are cool, but a whole presentation on some of the things coming to the game is tenfold compared to a trailer. Even with the DLC Presentations, there's usually something new to see we didn't see in the trailer, like the Mii Costumes, the amount of music, and other miscellaneous things, beside the moveset

So all of this combines to form a big attachment to the hype cycle of Ultimate for some people, where they can't get enough and Smash consumes a large part of their mind. even if they only play the game for like an hour or less, or with the DLC character for 5 minutes, the High from the trailer + the presentation is one that people like to chase.

The one fighting game most similar to Smash in terms of speculation is Mortal Kombat. That does have some dedicated speculation community and alot of hte time has had alot or Rumor/Leaks popping up. I will say that in comparison to Smash, some aspects of Mortal Kombat speculation fall short. There's not news everyday like there is with Smash (base game), The trailers are usually just Gameplay footage when it comes to the Characters, I think the Presentations for Smash tend to be more concise and straight to the point compared to NRS, and Sakurai seems to carry himself better as a persona than the NRS Members, There are guest fighters, but I don't think it branches up to the amount of options Smash does, and Mortal Kombat doesn't have as high sales numbers as Smash does, even though it's also sells above the average of other Fighting games, even getting past 10 Million
I definitely understand why it's the case, I just think some people take smash a little too seriously. Like burnout happens, but nothing is stopping one from taking a break when it does. Smash Ultimate dlc will end eventually, so I don't think it's worth it to actively want it to end just because one's tired of it.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
James Bond

My new favorite starter Pokemon, despite my general dislike of SwSh.

Working finger guns, a KNIFE in his tail, squirrel suit membranes, sniper rifle eyes, grows into a giant sniper tower, lord knows what other hidden weapons he has on his natural person... I LOVE him.

And actually, I really came to love the Sobble Line as my favorite starter line of all of them.

Sobble. The little kid. Too emotional for his own good, VERY sensitive. Prone to crying and anxiety. Afraid of pertnear everything. Everything is out to get him, so he thinks. Everything is too mean, too scary. His answer to most things: cry. Cry and be scared. Upset somehow.

Drizzile. The little sensitive crybaby has become an emo teenager. He's done crying. In fact, he's really done caring about much of anything. Generally disinterested look on his face, a haircut that says "Shut up dad...", Drizzile just kinda doesn't care enough to cry anymore. Though he's taken a taste to the mischeivous and dangerous things with the water balloons and traps. An eerie hint of things to come...

Inteleon. The emo teenager whose only source of interest came from traps and water balloons has now become a deadly professional killer. He's done with traps and water balloon toys. Why bother with them? He's got guns and knives! Sniper rifles! Flying squirrel suits! AND he's now got a charmer personality. The kind of look that can lure you off into the back room. Emotional manipulation is all part of the game now. You're not gonna tell anyone what happened on that yacht because he can either manipulate you or end you. He started as a child that was afraid of everything, now he has become the thing everything is afraid of; a cool charmer who can make you disappear without a trace... the only question is "how?". "Accidentally" took a tumble out the window? Sniped from afar? Stabbed in the back room? Went overboard on a yacht? Poisoned at the restaurant? The tricks are endless and are now the source of joy he gets, birthed from his troubled teenage years and forged into his controversial career.

You'd better hope he never comes to Smash: No one will be left alive, and anyone who is will have CIA-level secrets they can never speak of under threat of assassination.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sorrow has 4 if we count Heart of Fire. If not, then Sorrow has Ruined Castle Corridor, Pitch-Black Incursion and Crash in the Dark Night. And before you say Ruined Castle Corridor was Lament of Innocence first, Aria of Sorrow came out in May 2003 while Lament of Innocence came out in October 2003.

Sadly, OoE only has 2 songs rather than 3, being Twilight Stigmata/An Empty Tome and Jet-Black Wings. And yeah, aside from Lament of Innocence, the other 3D games were ignored.....which is sad cause Curse of Darkness had great music and Judgement had the amazing The Wolf Revealed track for 64.
The music from the PS2 Castlevanias is definitely underrated. At least we got Leon's Theme from Lament of Innocence, with a dope remix by ACE, but I'd have liked at least a track from Curse of Darkness.

And now that we're talking about this I must say, I'm the only one who feels not having a full track dedicated for Bloody Tears is wrong? Like, the Bloody Tears / Monster Dance mashup they did was really cool, but still, Bloody Tears is iconic enough to get more than one track. In fact, so far the only song from the games that has made it into the Netflix show in some capacity was precisely Bloody Tears.

Like, the mashup they did is nice, but most of times I just want to hear Bloody Tears in Smash and I can't, because the version we got includes another song, and I don't want to listen a different track, I want Bloody Tears. :(
I guess this is why I usually dislike medleys lol

I love X but there's a reason Zero got in crossovers a hell of a lot sooner than X did.

Sidenote, is it weird to want X to be based off of his armour sets instead of his default look should he join Smash? I feel that'd give more creative freedom for special moves, maybe even chargable normals if he's handled like Classic Mega Man
Having X using his armours could be interesting. Do you mean a playable X capable of switching armours, or him sticking to just one? If it's the latter, he would probably have the the armour from X1 or the Ultimate Armour. Maybe we could take some liberties and give him some of the unique attacks/abilities from his other armours, even if he's not wearing these.

But he would probably be regular X, if we ever get him, and I'd imagine he would use one of his armours during the Final Smash.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Whenever I think DQ reps - Which isn't often, admittedly - My thoughts usually default to the Slime. Mascot, would've been used if Hero wasn't available. It's just that series that already got a pack don't get much more attention. At least, that's my theory.
Were the series to ever get another rep tho it wouldn’t surprise me if it was Slime. It would do well to represent the Dragon Quest Monsters part of the series as well as being a mascot. And we have another monsters game coming up on switch, so who knows?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the topic of Dragon Quest characters. I think Heroine should be the next one, Mostly so Sofia, Female Erdrick and Anlucia can get in.
didnt one rumor way back in the day say Hero would have an Anlucia alt? that would have been cool, she has a cool design

Ivander

Smash Legend
didnt one rumor way back in the day say Hero would have an Anlucia alt? that would have been cool, she has a cool design
I think the only other Hero that was suggested for Hero besides the 4 we got was the main character of Dragon Quest V. And understandably, Dragon Quest V is one of the most popular Dragon Quest games, to the point where even the movie was based on it. But the reason why the DQV Hero wasn't added was apparently because his main weapon was a staff compared to a sword.
Hero_DQV_Adult_Artwork.png

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think the only other Hero that was suggested for Hero besides the 4 we got was the main character of Dragon Quest V. And understandably, Dragon Quest V is one of the most popular Dragon Quest games, to the point where even the movie was based on it. But the reason why the DQV Hero wasn't added was apparently because his main weapon was a staff compared to a sword.
View attachment 315596
So the Staff had a problem with the Staff?

ba dum tsh

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
View attachment 315596
Oddly enough I think he actually uses a sword as one of his core weapons, but this might be the most promoted design. Another is Sakurai might've hit a limit on costume differences(5 is awkward), though it also depends if he could find 3 more. Since the Staff is an important part of this Hero too, he might've found easier options.

There could be other reasons, like who SE wanted to promote at the time(even if it's just for more ports). I mean, this isn't the only reason Luminary is one of the characters. He's also the latest Hero and very easy to use overall. Him and Erdrick were the most obvious alts to have, due to being big options at the time. SE suggested other ones too. VIII is very popular in the West, and I think it was... IV that got the last alt? That also had an impact on the games, though I keep forgetting what it was. The monster-recruiting, maybe?

Slime Master

Smash Ace
DQ5's hero can equip swords, and Pankraz's sword is even one unique to him that would have been a fine choice. There were originally supposed to be more Heroes in smash, but they were cut for time constraints; if that weren't the case I doubt "he uses a staff" would have been enough to exclude the character. I don't think he'd be picked as the 2nd DQ rep though, if they wanted to rep DQ5 one of the brides (probably Bianca) would be a better choice.

Ivander

Smash Legend
There could be other reasons, like who SE wanted to promote at the time(even if it's just for more ports). I mean, this isn't the only reason Luminary is one of the characters. He's also the latest Hero and very easy to use overall. Him and Erdrick were the most obvious alts to have, due to being big options at the time. SE suggested other ones too. VIII is very popular in the West, and I think it was... IV that got the last alt? That also had an impact on the games, though I keep forgetting what it was. The monster-recruiting, maybe?
Not sure if monster recruiting started with IV, but I do know monster recruiting or allies were in V. That said, I think DQV's Hero was originally considered first, but after thinking and discussion, they chose IV's Hero because it was the first game and 2nd most popular game of the Zenithia trilogy and also pretty popular in it's own right, including having the most popular Dragon Quest villain Psaro.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
9) No Namco characters other than Pac-Man on the roster.
11. What the **** is Xenoblade X include any content from Xenoblade except X
12. Lip’s Stick will be the only form of Panel de Pon representation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom