• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, I think that was the general assumption. Between Min Min and Pyra, I think people are generally assuming Nintendo just wants the game represented and aren't too worried about the specific character chosen.
Then again, Byleth. Sakurai said he had someone else in mind.

It's probably a case-by-case thing. Maybe they cared more about 3H and Byleth because the game was more recent and they wanted people to have a connection with the avatar, aka the character who you play as.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

It's probably a case-by-case thing. Maybe they cared more about 3H and Byleth because the game was more recent and they wanted people to have a connection with the avatar, aka the character who you play as.
Huh, don't remember that. I think the statement was that "Sakurai can't play favorites;" Could just be misremembering, though.

Technomage

Smash Champion

I'm intrigued as to who that someone else might be; who could it be?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Where did he says he had someone else in mind? Maybe someone needs to make a Sakurai interview compilation one of these days,

Technomage

Smash Champion
Maybe one of the House Leaders?
Say, which House Leader do you think is the least popular? I ask because I have a what-if to propose: If Sakurai picked the least popular House Leader as the 3H rep, do you think that one would become even more popular (such as more people playing that storyline)?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't have the source or anything but I can vouch for the fact that Sakurai did say he had someone else he wanted to add from 3H instead of Byleth.

I'm intrigued as to who that someone else might be; who could it be?
Probably Dorothea, since

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 4.48.12 PM.png

SKX31

Smash Master
new characters revealed

this is what you want, right?
Wolf's in all five Smash games baybee (and one Melee modder is working on Cloud in Melee). :4pacman:

Also, the last character may not be as amazing of a pick as Mad Piano, but hey, Conker's a good inclusion in that mod. Never thought that they'd turn him into a ledge trapper, just like...

:ultbanjokazooie: .

Oh.

Maybe one of the House Leaders?
Gatekeeper. :4dedede:

Say, which House Leader do you think is the least popular? I ask because I have a what-if to propose: If Sakurai picked the least popular House Leader as the 3H rep, do you think that one would become even more popular (such as more people playing that storyline)?
Taking a guess and saying Dmitri? Edelgard's always struck me as the darkhorse due to her story and Claude seems like the likeable one, so he's got a lot of fans too.

Not to say Dmitri doesn't have fans - he does - but he seems to be the least popular of the three.

And umm... maybe. Wait scratch that he doesn't have the axe and thus doesn't have the meme move Aymr. Nah. :roll:

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I guess, but I also can't see sakurai going for the funny bow man.

unfortunately

Ivander

Smash Legend
It would be Claude if FE Choose Your Legends poll is to be taken seriously. Edelgard was 1st for the females while Dimitri was 1st for males while Claude was 2nd. Dimitri is also extremely popular in Japan while Edelgard has more popularity outside of Japan. Despite that, Claude is still popular in his own right and I don't think alot would really dislike him if he got in Smash aside from the "Ugh, Fire Emblem" stans.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
IIRC P3 is when Persona started to gain traction (and it did win Famitsu's and GameSpot's respective RPG of the Year awards), although P4 accelerated the momentum and P5 supercharged it. So Persona has at least 3, and there might be an argument that P1 / P2 did pretty well for themselves as well (especially in Japan).
I guess my wording wasn't the best, when I said 2 very acclaimed games I was talking about Bayonetta 1 and 2. My bad.

In any case, you're right. It would seem Persona 3 started bringing more eyes into the series, if the PS2 and PSP re-releases, movies and manga are any indicator.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I remember Sakurai making a comment a while back about fighters with an axe, so I always assumed Edelgard was who he would've chosen. Could be wrong though.
Yeah I'm pretty certain that Edelgard would have been the choice, personally. I think I'd have liked it better that way too - more often than not I'll vouch for a fully fleshed out character over an avatar, and I tend to like characters who use really strong heavy weapons so I think an axe user would have been up my alley. I know Byleth already uses an axe for part of their kit but I digress.

Especially if they went with Edelgard's later game design I think she would have actually stood out a lot too. Ah well. I'd have thought a Three Houses character was sort of lame regardless but I think that would have been my choice in retrospect - at least Byleth does manage to represent all three of the... uh, houses. So all in all I don't think they were a bad choice, just not what I would have done and I wish Sakurai was able to do what he was originally thinking.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don’t think anyone would expect Conker in that Smash mod.

Wolf's in all five Smash games baybee (and one Melee modder is working on Cloud in Melee). :4pacman:

Also, the last character may not be as amazing of a pick as Mad Piano, but hey, Conker's a good inclusion in that mod. Never thought that they'd turn him into a ledge trapper, just like...

Oh.
Wolf is my favourite Star Fox character to play with.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Golden Axe rep confirmed!
That reminds me that I’ve been thinking it might be fun to have a Gauntlet character. I don’t know how many of you played Gauntlet Legends on the N64 or Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on the GameCube but I had a fun time with them. I think it would be a nice touch to have the announcer comment “Yellow Warrior needs food badly” or “Green Wizard is about to die” when their health gets low. Not that it’s likely at all but it would be entertaining at least.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

Oh.

Gatekeeper. :4dedede:

Taking a guess and saying Dmitri? Edelgard's always struck me as the darkhorse due to her story and Claude seems like the likeable one, so he's got a lot of fans too.

Not to say Dmitri doesn't have fans - he does - but he seems to be the least popular of the three.

And umm... maybe. Wait scratch that he doesn't have the axe and thus doesn't have the meme move Aymr. Nah. :roll:
I'm pretty sure Dimitri actually placed top 10 in a popularity poll in that Nintendo Dream magazine once. Sans also placed pretty high in there once.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Dimitri actually placed top 10 in a popularity poll in that Nintendo Dream magazine once. Sans also placed pretty high in there once.
Dimitri is my favorite house leader but I like all of them. Dimitri’s post time skip look and personality is awesome. He would have made for a great Smash character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Another ultra complicated character would be a character from a 4x turn-based strategy game, especially ones like Master of Orion and Stars in Shadow; since those games are mainly about space ship combat, a character from either game would have to incorporate fleet command and management into their movesets in order to be faithful to them, and that would be pretty difficult to do.
Right. You know, like how Captain Falcon had to incorporate all those racing mechanics.

Just looked up "shmup". Shoot 'em up, huh? The Contra boys have been overshadowed by Ryu Hayabusa but I personally find them to be the more interesting NES characters.
Contra isn't a shmup. Shmups are games like Gradius, R-Type or Touhou.

Am I the only one who thinks a third Season Pass is kinda pointless, considering how long the DLC thing has gone and how long we have waited between characters, and the whole DLC thing and desire for it dying down?
Yes. And you're a monster for suggesting it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ladies and gentlemen, your least popular Three Houses lord:

All different polls from all different countries across all different times.
Yeah I was going to mention this... during Three Houses' release I think things were more tied, but with the time everything I've seen in terms of popularity was pretty clear: Dimitri is the most popular character of the game, or at least, the most popular lord.

He's also my favorite, but I think a lot of people had the same situation as me. Before the game was released, Edelgard and Claude felt more interesting to me, but after playing the game and doing all the routes, I totally changed my opinion and Dimitri became my fave character of the game lol

I'm saying this because I'd say most people were more into Edelgard and Claude before the came out, and when it did, Dimitri gained a lot of popularity. Not that the others aren't popular, they definitely are. Personally, all 3 are great, I like them a lot.

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
Considering how Sakurai really likes going the extra mile for third parties to the point Simon references a dumb visual glitch and we have mining **** for Steve and an initial plan that made players able to port their Minecraft worlds, I'm pretty sure Sakurai genuinely wants to do something crazy with Tekken's limb system. If PSABR was a concern, that would no longer be the case as Sakurai used to be concerned about it with the addition of a hazard toggle in Smash 4. Now we have a hazard toggle.

Also lmao at saying 'Scamco' as if Nintendo cares about ethical business practises
That's the thing though. If Sakurai is willing to go all out for other third party characters, then it could be reasoned he would do the same for Tekken. I believe Nintendo/Sakurai simply don't want or care for characters that appeared in PSABR.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Mad Piano was always a joke, iirc.

So it tends to be a separate download rather than part of the main lineup.
It’s in the same download, but hidden under Luigi instead of having a dedicated spot. This is more so because of the fact that Mad Piano is a “boss character“ that isn’t intended to be balanced, much like Giant DK, Metal Mario, and Giga Bowser, who are also hidden under other characters in the CSS in Remix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom