• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm entirely convinced it's due to:

:4pacman:

As far as complicated characters go, there are a lot:

• Any character from an RTS if minions are more controllable than Pikmin (which may be an impossibility given how Icies already strain the Smash engine a bit, but still). A StarCraft / WarCraft character could be hypotheoretically developed this way, specifically Kerrigan due to her being the Zerg Queen for most of StarCraft's runtime.
  • Games like LoL and Mortal Kombat have stuff that are selected on the CSS - LoL has the Summoners' Spells, Mortal Kombat has the different styles that grant different Specials and what not.
  • Any character that rely on timing hits for extra damage (such as Taiko's Don-Chan, Geno etc.) could be mechanically complicated as well due to that mechanic not being a main focus of a character's design so far IIRC.
  • Also, possibly characters like Phoenix Wright / Layton if Sakurai and co. take a page from UMvC3 in Phoenix's case. Personally I think UMvC3 Phoenix was a bit too campy in execution, but it's another possible avenue nevertheless.
Yeah, I made a moveset for Kerrigan that is based on RTS mechanics that I’m really proud of. It’s pretty big so I’ll put it in spoilers for anyone interested:

Sarah Kerrigan
"I am the Swarm. Armies will be shattered. Worlds will burn. Now at last, on this world, vengeance shall be mine. For I am the Queen of Blades."

View attachment 308864
Artist: Norse Chowder

Introduction
Starcraft is a science fiction real time franchise developed by Blizzard Entertainment. While the series is mostly known for being a PC game, the original game did release on the Nintendo 64 as Starcraft 64 in 2000. The franchise received a sequel in 2010 which spawned several expansions. It remains one of the most popular and influential games in its genre to this day.

Who is Sarah Kerrigan?
Prior to her infestation, Sarah Kerrigan began as a psychic terran soldier known as a ghost operative. During a mission, Kerrigan was abandoned by her superior, Arcturus Mengsk, when things began to look bad and was left to die. Instead, Kerrigan became infested by an alien insectoid race known as the Zerg and became one of them. In time, Kerrigan rose to become the leader of the entire Zerg race and swore revenge on the one who betrayed her.

Why Kerrigan would be great for Smash

Kerrigan is an iconic character that would offer a lot to a game like Smash Bros. For one, she is both a female and a villain, two things which Smash is still lacking. I believe Sarah Kerrigan is the best character to represent the RTS genre due to her ability to control the Zerg. RTS games are all about resource management and creating an army of units to crush the opponent's base. This is something I think Kerrigan can utilize in Smash. Starcraft also really meshes well with the Metroid universe and would make for some really cool interactions if there is any kind of story mode in this game.

Potential Moveset:

Special Traits / Other:
Kerrigan would be the first true summoner character in Smash. All of her special attacks other than Psionic Shift summon various Zerg units to aid her in battle. In order to balance this, I decided to incorporate an element of resource management similar to her home series.

Vespian Gas - As the battle goes on, Kerrigan builds up resources that she can spend to use all of her special attacks minus Psionic Shift (which doesn’t cost anything since it is her recovery move). Being a simple attack, Zergling Rush attack uses the least amount of gas while the Hydralisk/Defiler/Mutalisk uses the most. She initially starts with 0 Vespian Gas but builds it up gradually as the battle goes on. The way this works in Starcraft is you have units called Drones (for the Zerg at least) traveling to mining points and bringing back Minerals and Vespian Gas to your base which you use as a currency to construct buildings and units. To simplify things for Smash, I cut it down to just Vespian Gas. I think it would be a nice touch to represent this by have some Drones (pictured below) in the background gathering resources by moving around, similar to Pokemon Trainer. If Kerrigan tries to summon a Zerg without sufficient Vespian Gas, there will a be a disembodied voice of the Overmind stating "We require more Vespian Gas".

View attachment 309017

Weak Attacks:
A Combo – Chain Reaction
Kerrigan attacks with a flow of electricity. Like Megaman’s A combo, this is a projectile attack and deals no knockback. In multiplayer, the electricity can flow to other nearby enemies if they are close enough.

Forward Tilt – Kinetic Blast
A small short range explosion from her hand

Up Tilt – Razor Swarm
Kerrigan sends out several mini shockwaves diagonally upwards

Down Tilt
A low claw swipe

Running A
A running double claw swipe

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash - Ravage
Kerrigan lunges forward and stabs the opponent with her wings.

Up Smash
Kerrigan thrusts her wings upward and stabs above her

Down Smash – Impaling Blades
Kerrigan slams the ground causing spikes to rise from the ground on both sides

Specials:
Neutral B – Hydralisk /Defiler / Mutalisk (pictured from left to right)
Similar to Dedede’s original side B that summoned Waddle Dees, Kerrigan summons one of a variety of Zerg units that wander along the battlefield and attack opponents. The hydralisk is the most basic of these. They travel along the ground and attack any opponent nearby. The defiler doesn’t actively attack but instead inflicts various status effects on anyone that gets too close with a cloud of poisonous gas. Finally, the mutalisk flies through the air and attacks any airborne opponents in its range.

View attachment 308996View attachment 308995View attachment 308997

Forward B (Grounded) – Zergling Rush (pictured on the left)
Kerrigan summons a pair of Zerglings to rise from the ground and charge forward for a bit before diving back into the ground.

Forward B (Aerial) – Scourge (pictured on the right)
If performed in the air, Kerrigan hatches a pair of Scourge who fly forward and explode into any opponent they touch.

View attachment 308998View attachment 308999

Up B – Psionic Shift
Kerrigan surrounds herself in energy then dashes in the chosen direction, damaging anyone she touches

Down B - Lurker
Similar to Snake’s mine attack, Kerrigan summons a Lurker to burrow in the ground right next to her. Anyone who walks over this location is attacked with a rising spike attack for a short while. Like the Hydralisk, only one Lurker can be summoned at a time.

View attachment 309000

Grabs:
Grab
Kerrigan impales the opponent with her wings

Pummel
Kerrigan grabs the opponent’s face and shocks it with energy

Forward Throw
Kerrigan kicks her opponent forward

Back Throw
A simple toss backward

Up Throw
Kerrigan throws her opponent upwards followed by a quick lightning attack

Down Throw
Kerrigan slams her opponent into the ground

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Kerrigan surrounds herself with electric energy and attacks around her, much like Mewtwo

Forward A
A forward claw swipe

Back A
A backward thrust kick

Up A
A somersault kick

Down A – Quantum Ray
Shoots a beam of energy diagonally downward

Final Smash: Apocalypse
Kerrigan surrounds herself in a radius of energy. Any opponent that comes within range is struck by an explosion which triggers a cinematic cutscene. This scene mimics the final few seconds of the Betrayal on Kerrigan scene. After landing the initial strike, the opponent is transported to a ruined planet where he or she is surrounded by zergs on all sides. As they reach the target, the screen turns to black. It then returns to the normal battle screen and the opponent takes massive damage and knockback.

Apocalypse

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, I made a moveset for Kerrigan that is based on RTS mechanics that I’m really proud of. It’s pretty big so I’ll put it in spoilers for anyone interested:

Sarah Kerrigan
"I am the Swarm. Armies will be shattered. Worlds will burn. Now at last, on this world, vengeance shall be mine. For I am the Queen of Blades."

View attachment 308864
Artist: Norse Chowder

Introduction
Starcraft is a science fiction real time franchise developed by Blizzard Entertainment. While the series is mostly known for being a PC game, the original game did release on the Nintendo 64 as Starcraft 64 in 2000. The franchise received a sequel in 2010 which spawned several expansions. It remains one of the most popular and influential games in its genre to this day.

Who is Sarah Kerrigan?
Prior to her infestation, Sarah Kerrigan began as a psychic terran soldier known as a ghost operative. During a mission, Kerrigan was abandoned by her superior, Arcturus Mengsk, when things began to look bad and was left to die. Instead, Kerrigan became infested by an alien insectoid race known as the Zerg and became one of them. In time, Kerrigan rose to become the leader of the entire Zerg race and swore revenge on the one who betrayed her.

Why Kerrigan would be great for Smash

Kerrigan is an iconic character that would offer a lot to a game like Smash Bros. For one, she is both a female and a villain, two things which Smash is still lacking. I believe Sarah Kerrigan is the best character to represent the RTS genre due to her ability to control the Zerg. RTS games are all about resource management and creating an army of units to crush the opponent's base. This is something I think Kerrigan can utilize in Smash. Starcraft also really meshes well with the Metroid universe and would make for some really cool interactions if there is any kind of story mode in this game.

Potential Moveset:

Special Traits / Other:
Kerrigan would be the first true summoner character in Smash. All of her special attacks other than Psionic Shift summon various Zerg units to aid her in battle. In order to balance this, I decided to incorporate an element of resource management similar to her home series.

Vespian Gas - As the battle goes on, Kerrigan builds up resources that she can spend to use all of her special attacks minus Psionic Shift (which doesn’t cost anything since it is her recovery move). Being a simple attack, Zergling Rush attack uses the least amount of gas while the Hydralisk/Defiler/Mutalisk uses the most. She initially starts with 0 Vespian Gas but builds it up gradually as the battle goes on. The way this works in Starcraft is you have units called Drones (for the Zerg at least) traveling to mining points and bringing back Minerals and Vespian Gas to your base which you use as a currency to construct buildings and units. To simplify things for Smash, I cut it down to just Vespian Gas. I think it would be a nice touch to represent this by have some Drones (pictured below) in the background gathering resources by moving around, similar to Pokemon Trainer. If Kerrigan tries to summon a Zerg without sufficient Vespian Gas, there will a be a disembodied voice of the Overmind stating "We require more Vespian Gas".

View attachment 309017

Weak Attacks:
A Combo – Chain Reaction
Kerrigan attacks with a flow of electricity. Like Megaman’s A combo, this is a projectile attack and deals no knockback. In multiplayer, the electricity can flow to other nearby enemies if they are close enough.

Forward Tilt – Kinetic Blast
A small short range explosion from her hand

Up Tilt – Razor Swarm
Kerrigan sends out several mini shockwaves diagonally upwards

Down Tilt
A low claw swipe

Running A
A running double claw swipe

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash - Ravage
Kerrigan lunges forward and stabs the opponent with her wings.

Up Smash
Kerrigan thrusts her wings upward and stabs above her

Down Smash – Impaling Blades
Kerrigan slams the ground causing spikes to rise from the ground on both sides

Specials:
Neutral B – Hydralisk /Defiler / Mutalisk (pictured from left to right)
Similar to Dedede’s original side B that summoned Waddle Dees, Kerrigan summons one of a variety of Zerg units that wander along the battlefield and attack opponents. The hydralisk is the most basic of these. They travel along the ground and attack any opponent nearby. The defiler doesn’t actively attack but instead inflicts various status effects on anyone that gets too close with a cloud of poisonous gas. Finally, the mutalisk flies through the air and attacks any airborne opponents in its range.

View attachment 308996View attachment 308995View attachment 308997

Forward B (Grounded) – Zergling Rush (pictured on the left)
Kerrigan summons a pair of Zerglings to rise from the ground and charge forward for a bit before diving back into the ground.

Forward B (Aerial) – Scourge (pictured on the right)
If performed in the air, Kerrigan hatches a pair of Scourge who fly forward and explode into any opponent they touch.

View attachment 308998View attachment 308999

Up B – Psionic Shift
Kerrigan surrounds herself in energy then dashes in the chosen direction, damaging anyone she touches

Down B - Lurker
Similar to Snake’s mine attack, Kerrigan summons a Lurker to burrow in the ground right next to her. Anyone who walks over this location is attacked with a rising spike attack for a short while. Like the Hydralisk, only one Lurker can be summoned at a time.

View attachment 309000

Grabs:
Grab
Kerrigan impales the opponent with her wings

Pummel
Kerrigan grabs the opponent’s face and shocks it with energy

Forward Throw
Kerrigan kicks her opponent forward

Back Throw
A simple toss backward

Up Throw
Kerrigan throws her opponent upwards followed by a quick lightning attack

Down Throw
Kerrigan slams her opponent into the ground

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
Kerrigan surrounds herself with electric energy and attacks around her, much like Mewtwo

Forward A
A forward claw swipe

Back A
A backward thrust kick

Up A
A somersault kick

Down A – Quantum Ray
Shoots a beam of energy diagonally downward

Final Smash: Apocalypse
Kerrigan surrounds herself in a radius of energy. Any opponent that comes within range is struck by an explosion which triggers a cinematic cutscene. This scene mimics the final few seconds of the Betrayal on Kerrigan scene. After landing the initial strike, the opponent is transported to a ruined planet where he or she is surrounded by zergs on all sides. As they reach the target, the screen turns to black. It then returns to the normal battle screen and the opponent takes massive damage and knockback.

Apocalypse
[\spoiler]
Not that your post was off topic, I just wanted to point out that there's a thread now for this sort of thing. I recommend you nominate Kerrigan there, in the effort of promoting that thread so it gets more traction.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Fighter Pass 2 - Year One

Min Min - Spring Man snubbed
Steve - Western pick
Sephiroth - Darkness in the light (Galeem)

Fighter Pass 2 - Year Two

Pyra/Mythra - Rex snubbed
Crash? - Western pick
Sora? - Light in the darkness (Dharkon)

I don't know, I'm just messing around here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Fighter Pass 2 - Year One

Min Min - Spring Man snubbed
Steve - Western pick
Sephiroth - Darkness in the light (Galeem)

Fighter Pass 2 - Year Two

Pyra/Mythra - Rex snubbed
Crash? - Western pick
Sora? - Light in the darkness (Dharkon)

I don't know, I'm just messing around here.
we already do have "Light in the darkness (Dharkon)". it's Hero

what we need is "Equilibrium (Galeem & Dharkon)"

Technomage

Smash Champion
we already do have "Light in the darkness (Dharkon)". it's Hero

what we need is "Equilibrium (Galeem & Dharkon)"
I did come up with an idea of a double reveal where Eggman is first revealed, attempting to take control of Galeem and Dharkon and use their power to take over the world; then Eggman loses control of both of them, and then the other DLC fighter (maybe Sora?) appears and crushes both gods.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I did come up with an idea of a double reveal where Eggman is first revealed, attempting to take control of Galeem and Dharkon and use their power to take over the world; then Eggman loses control of both of them, and then the other DLC fighter (maybe Sora?) appears and crushes both gods.
Speaking of Eggman, how likely is he to get into Smash Bros. Ultimate, anyway?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
wait hol up

both WoL themed trailers thus far (Sephiroth with the Galeem theme and Hero with the Dharkon theme) were both square enix characters

....Neku for Equilibrium (both Galeem and Dharkon) PLEASE I BEG U 🥺

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
wait hol up

both WoL themed trailers thus far (Sephiroth with the Galeem theme and Hero with the Dharkon theme) were both square enix characters

Actually, "equilibrium" is another word for "balance". Guess what Square Enix game uses "balance" as its main theme?

Balan Wonderworld.

Heck yeah.

Technomage

Smash Champion
wait hol up

If Bayonetta was never added to the series before the end of FP2, then she would have been perfect for the fighter to kick both of those gods' asses. :D

Shroob

Sup?
It's kinda nuts that it's basically a month out from E3 as of today, give or take a day or 2.

June's gonna be something, alright.

My only hope is that CP10 follows the last handful of characters, aka releasing close to their reveals, instead of going back to the old ways of being several months out from reveal.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Hot take: The only DLC that was completely out of left field is Terry. Everyone else makes complete sense.

Joker - Snake was the first guest fighter, and his games haven't been on Nintendo consoles for like 13 years now.

Hero - Switch "Advertisement" and legacy stuff.

Banjo - Fan outcry

Byleth - Switch "Advertisement"

Min Min - Switch "Advertisement"

Steve - Minecraft was one of the best selling games on Wii U if IRCC and is the best selling third-party Switch game in Japan. Also, Banjo.

Sephiroth - Final Fantasy had a mysterious lack of content at launch.

Pyra/Mythra - Switch "Advertisement" (I saw them coming a mile away after the ARMS character tease was made).

Then there's Terry. He genuinely shocked me.

He has no ****ing business being here (thats a joke, calm down) and that's what makes him even better.

Like, I still cannot believe that this dude is playable.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I'll mention DS one more time today.

I was thinking recently about how, thematically, a Dark Souls character is tailor-made for Smash.

The entire quest of the first game is to collect the Souls of fallen lords, and then choose whether to use them, keeping darkness from overtaking the light. The main ending has you linking the fire, causing a pillar of flame to shoot into the sky, and extend the "age of fire" during which the two sides are in equilibrium.

If you look at the lyrics of life lifelight, well...

"Colours weave into a spire of flame
Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed
Bear this torch against the cold of the night
Search your soul and reawaken the undying light"

"Every soul contains a whisper of light

Growing louder as it calls to ignite
From the distance sings a chorus of souls
Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals"

Basically every line in lifelight describes the process of using souls to reignite an everlasting fire, repeating a cycle and restoring equilibrium. I think it's kinda neat.

I know characters don't have to thematically fit with Smash to be added. However, they would literally need to do nothing and Dark Souls content would slot seamlessly in.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hot take: The only DLC that was completely out of left field is Terry. Everyone else makes complete sense.

Joker - Snake was the first guest fighter, and his games haven't been on Nintendo consoles for like 13 years now.

Banjo - Fan outcry

Steve - Minecraft was one of the best selling games on Wii U if IRCC and is the best selling third-party Switch game in Japan. Also, Banjo.

Pyra/Mythra - Switch "Advertisement" (I saw them coming a mile away after the ARMS character tease was made).

He has no ****ing business being here (thats a joke, calm down) and that's what makes him even better.

Eh

Considering Smash borrows heavy inspiration from FF/KoF, I'd say he fits.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh no, he fits great. Its just that...I can't believe Nintendo chose him.
I mean, there was a TON of SNK games dumped onto the Switch's E-Shop early on.

Truth be told, which is something that Max has speculated on, it could very well have been a sort of "You scratch our back, we'll scratch yours" kinda deal.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Banjo - Fan outcry

1620680440504.png

This had been a thing for about six or seven years by the time of Joker's announcement. Either way, in his case I think it was more to ride off the wave of the hot new smash hit at the time.

I think it's more about Minecraft being big in general. Regarding the Banjo point, it seems it's actually the other way around, seeing as Steve's discussions dated all the way back to 2015 and Minecraft was cited as being the thing to open the gateway to Banjo in Smash.

PacificFun

Smash Ace

Truth be told, which is something that Max has speculated on, it could very well have been a sort of "You scratch our back, we'll scratch yours" kinda deal.
Yeah, but those were super old games. But now that you mention what Max said, that is interesting to think about. Terry was also dirt cheap judging by the amount of music he got.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Do people still forget that Fatal Fury, which lead to the birth of King of Fighters, is the reason Sakurai ever dreamt of making a game like Smash?

Like, it's confirmed that Sakurai beat the snot out of some couple who could barely play the game, and when he realized who was on the other end and that it was completely unfair for them, he was inspired to make a more casual fighting game that anyone could pick up and play and do decent at. This was way before Nintendo characters ever got close to touching the series.

The reason for the percentages for damage over a health bar is because a health bar doesn't give a clear indicator for someone who doesn't play religiously, but you will probably be okay if your damage is at 15% or you know you are in the danger zone if you are 85% or higher. It's also why Smash has much less complexity for inputs, which is why well-known Smash players have trouble with Ryu, Ken and Terry's true input commands. A child can easily press a single button or press down or forward and a single button, but down - down back - back - down back - down - down forward - forward - back and both heavy punch AND heavy kick?

This is why many people in the FGC still push Smash to be it's own thing (mostly BY Smash fans themselves), and why Smash will always be argued over whether it's actually a fighting game or just a party game taken too seriously by some.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
The super similar plots of DS and Smash make the lack of Dark Souls spirits a little more baffling. Spirits are referenced in Lifelight as "souls". Characters in Dark Souls have tangible "souls", it's one of the main gameplay mechanics. Why not just put in the "Souls" of the DS cast in as spirits? It would actually make canonical sense with the source material

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Do people still forget that Fatal Fury, which lead to the birth of King of Fighters, is the reason Sakurai ever dreamt of making a game like Smash?

Like, it's confirmed that Sakurai beat the snot out of some couple who could barely play the game, and when he realized who was on the other end and that it was completely unfair for them, he was inspired to make a more casual fighting game that anyone could pick up and play and do decent at. This was way before Nintendo characters ever got close to touching the series.
Nintendo chose the DLC though so I feel like that would be irrelevant to him being picked (unless I'm missing something).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Mate I literally said that in my last post.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Anyone fits in Smash. The difference is that barely anyone thought of character like Terry for Smash. Even if not as much as before most people still think only of big third parties or third party characters with a long history with Nintendo. In that sense Terry was a complete shock, and he would have been an even bigger surprise if the SNK copyright never appeared in the website.

And who better to give equilibrum than a demon that once was a man?

Also, reminder that Nocturne HD drops later this month in the west.
I was actually going to mention Demi-fiend.

It's not the first time someone brings the idea but what Evil Trapezium said is interesting. After Hero's (Dharkon) and Sephiroth's (Galeem) trailers I could totally see a third trailer with both of them. In that scenario, a "neutral" character seems the best fit for such a trailer, and Demi-fiend is a perfect candidate for that. Though to be fair, any SMT protagonist would also work.

But besides SMT, I can't think about more examples. to be honest. Videogame protagonists are usually the good guys or at best, anti heroes. I think Dante would kinda fit with this idea as well but maybe it's just my bias.

wait hol up

I'd like Neku but I don't really think he fits with the idea to be fair. Maybe I'm missing something but he is basically a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom