• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
How is your most wanted going to save the day from Galeem and Dharkon's forces in the next DLC trailer, DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II thread? :nifty:
Considering he's an SMT character, he's more liable to destroy the world twice as badly as Galeem and Dharkon ever have.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
How is your most wanted going to save the day from Galeem and Dharkon's forces in the next DLC trailer, DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II thread? :nifty:
Arle's been preparing her 19 chain since the start of the pass.

For real though murdering Dharkon is like a perfect trailer premise for Sora I hope it happens.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Uhhhh Waluigi ain't gonna do **** to them. Thankfully my second and third most wanted are Kratos and Goku, they can carry the team.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Adol enters the scene by way of ship (Which ends up wrecked in the process, because it's unavoidable with Adol), grabs the ultra god-slaying Infinity +1 Sword, and single-handedly beats the %$#@ out of them with nothing but that sword and his own skill. Bonus points if he's actually CP11 and not CP10, so then we can say ADOL Makes The End of Battle!

...Yeah, I've been waiting to say that.

Alternatively, Reimu dodges all of Galeem's lasers used in the opening cutscene and Bombs the %$#@ out of them.

cothero

Smash Lord
I'm not one much for predictions anymore, but thinking about certain facts more has pushed me towards a particular conclusion. Given Sega's already strong presence in Smash DLC before, not having a platformer character since Banjo Kazooie, and that this June just happens to be a notable month for a certain Sega mascot character, I think we can all agree who's most likely showing up at E3:

;)
I wouldn't complain, TBH.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I could see him backstabbing Dharkon or something lol

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Rayman will assume control of Master Hand and Crazy Hand and smack the **** out of them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Estelle will just catch a really big fish and then beat Dharkon with it.
Nah she tells them to cut their **** out because she's fishing, Dharkon ignores her to which Estelle blurts out one of her most iconic lines
msC5Zpu.jpg

Dharkon ignores it and then Estelle goes ****ing lightspeed and annihilates them.

Actually, I wonder how Estelle would be handled in terms of taunts, her most memorable lines are because of the localization, which likes taking catchphrases and completely rewriting them so they feel significantly less repetitive

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
sega-60th-anniversary-official-bootleg-dj-mix-657817.1.jpg

Anyone else got the SEGA 60th Anniversary DJ MIX?
Hearing music transition from Super Monkey Ball music to Persona 3 music to Serani Poji or Bayonetta to Daytona songs made me laugh but its cool this exist.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually, I wonder how Estelle would be handled in terms of taunts, her most memorable lines are because of the localization, which likes taking catchphrases and completely rewriting them so they feel significantly less repetitive
If it's anything like the Xenoblade Chronicles cast, then expect at least one meme taunt.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Well Geno is known for his speed and his damage potential, but since Geno Whirl doesn't work on bosses I would assume he would probably either use it on a tough minion or if up against the Meme Dragon or Mr. Krabby Pants himself he would likely hit them directly with a fully-charged Geno Beam which with the right timing would definitely do some major damage. Would be dope if his Geno Beam clashed with the attack Galeem uses to turn that fighters into Amiibo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If it's anything like the Xenoblade Chronicles cast, then expect at least one meme taunt.
Yeah but Reyn Time and Think You Can Take Me weren't deliberately rewritten to be less repetitive, whereas ENG Estelle has so many different sentences that don't actually use her JP catchphrase, but something else entirely that conveys the same meaning every time

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah but Reyn Time and Think You Can Take Me weren't deliberately rewritten to be less repetitive, whereas ENG Estelle has so many different sentences that don't actually use her JP catchphrase, but something else entirely that conveys the same meaning every time
Well there you go. Her quote: All of them.

Actually, saying a bunch of random things so it's different every time would be pretty neat.

Also "Think you can take me" was completely taken out of the game but that's not quite the same thing.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well there you go. Her quote: All of them.

Actually, saying a bunch of random things so it's different every time would be pretty neat.

Also "Think you can take me" was completely taken out of the game but that's not quite the same thing.
God, if it was possible to add more voice clips even if it's only in 1 version then that'd be godlike

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I still think Steve would have been fine as a Mii.
Why? Steve is like the worst possible thing to represent Minecraft without his moveset. Steves whole thing is that he perfectly captures the essence of Minecraft. Mining and Crafting. Taking away that and his use of items is taking away the Minecraft from Steve. Making him a Mii Costume is like having literal Cardboard to represent Minecraft. Steve is a literal replaceable skin that nobody sees more than the arm of unless you go 3rd person or have multiplayer when nobody knows how to change skins.

Hardly a good way to represent the best selling game ever, right?

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The best case scenario would be getting in touch with the Translation team directly to help with it.

The more realistic one would be to have her voice lines be directly translated which would be a bit lame, but Estelle would still be in so...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why? Steve is like the worst possible thing to represent Minecraft without his moveset. Steves whole thing is that he perfectly captures the essence of Minecraft. Mining and Crafting. Taking away that and his use of items is taking away the Minecraft from Steve. Making him a Mii Costume is like having literal Cardboard to represent Minecraft. Steve is a literal replaceable skin that nobody sees more than the arm of unless you go 3rd person or have multiplayer when nobody knows how to change skins.

Even ignoring that, the skins that they did go with are so cursed that it's a wonder that anyone has this take anymore. I think they're the only DLC Mii Costumes with a full mask that nobody refers to as "Premiium".

EDIT: Forgot about the diamond armour one. That one at least isn't cursed, though it does look kinda tacky.

The more realistic one would be to have her voice lines be directly translated which would be a bit lame, but Estelle would still be in so...
Now that you mention it. Yeah, considering "Now I'm mad!" is a thing the chance of them just translating the Japanese quotes they go with are depressingly high.

...I wonder if this is where "Time to tip the fate!" came from as well.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

making most characters a Mii costume makes it so they cannot represent their franchise as properly as if they were playable character, so I don't see why this happening with Minecraft Steve is really any worse.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
making most characters a Mii costume makes it so they cannot represent their franchise as properly as if they were playable character, so I don't see why this happening with Minecraft Steve is really any worse.
Its not that a Mii Costume wouldn’t do it as well, its just that it wouldn’t do it. At least with Bomberman, sure it doesn’t represent gameplay, but you still see Bomberman, a character front and center basically every game. With Steve as a Mii Costume, you lose the stuff that actually represents Minecraft, in favor of just being able to say theres Minecraft representation.

Thats all Steve brings as a Mii, the ability to say Minecraft is in the game. If this were the Creeper mii, at least you’d have the Mascot of Minecraft and most well known enemy. But Steve? His whole thing is that his name is a play on Adam and Eve and is there when the game requires the player is able to see themselves.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Seen a debate earlier about whether the next two fighters would be third-party or not. So... just for the heck of it, I ran that stuff through the machine, got this graph...
1617861497067.png

and according to Mr. Roboto the machines, it's statistically likely the next two fighters will be from third-parties.

Of course, none of this is finite as this is just math. But, I figured I'd pitch in with what the machine said lol.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
it makes sense you would feel that way. after all, he comes from a game that isn't on display next to a stegosaurus.
You wouldn't know it by looking at him...

Its not that a Mii Costume wouldn’t do it as well, its just that it wouldn’t do it.
Except it did. Diamond Armor Swordfighter is just A Steve in diamond gear. And he worked fine.

Would it have been AS good a representation? No. But to be honest, the way he actually ended up playing is TOO good a representation, to the point where he's practically incompatible with the way Smash is normally meant to be played.

If I was gonna play a Minecraft character in Smash, I'd much rather play the Diamond Armor Swordfighter. Because Steve's actual moveset is just awful to play as...despite being "a good representation".

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pretty much any Mii Costume is gonna be a partial representation of the character they can dress up as. You can't mix Gun and Sword combat with the Mega Man.EXE costume, You don't get Mamahaha with Nakoruru's costume, no purple fireball with Iori, no digging into the ground or spin-dashing with Knuckles' suit ect.

Maybe it's because I don't give a **** about Minecraft, but I don't see how Steve would be any different in that regard when most characters are bound to be better represented as a full character.

Not that it matters too much, Steve's already a full character. Any Mii character can only do so much unless they added moves alongside the costume, but that pretty much defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Salty haters going "nobody plays Minecraft for Steve" is so funny to me because it implies people play video games only for their protagonist. And by this logic, Metroid Prime Pinball should be considered as equally good as the Prime trilogy.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Salty haters going "nobody plays Minecraft for Steve" is so funny to me because it implies people play video games only for their protagonist. And by this logic, Metroid Prime Pinball should be considered as equally good as the Prime trilogy.
It is what it is. Obviously, for a game like this, people are gonna care about the characters they have an actual attachment to. Though I can agree there's more to a game than how much you like the characters, even if that can be a big part. Hell, it's the reason why side characters are pretty popular requests, because a lot of players might relate or take interest in them more than the protag.

I might not care for Steve one way or the other, but mechanically, no one else plays like him, or even could if you branched out a ton, so there's value in that.

Pillow

Smash Lord
While I find his mining system to be a bit over designed, I personally think Steve is very fun (and hilarious) to play. While I’m a big fan of deluxe Miis it’s never a true substitute of the real thing. Now that I’ve seen what Steve as a full playable character can do, there’s no way I can consider him better off as a Mii.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It is what it is. Obviously, for a game like this, people are gonna care about the characters they have an actual attachment to. Though I can agree there's more to a game than how much you like the characters, even if that can be a big part. Hell, it's the reason why side characters are pretty popular requests, because a lot of players might relate or take interest in them more than the protag.

I might not care for Steve one way or the other, but mechanically, no one else plays like him, or even could if you branched out a ton, so there's value in that.
I can definitely attest to that. I’m a big fan of Kingdom Hearts, Xenoblade 2, and Tales of Symphonia but I’ve never particularly cared for Sora, Rex, or Lloyd as characters. Xemnas, Nia, and Sheena on the other hand, I would be totally down for. I really loved all three characters and I think they would be a ton of fun in Smash. Unfortunately they would likely never be chosen over the main characters of their games (or Pyra/Mythra in Xenoblade’s case).

Pretty much the same can be said for Chrono Trigger. I like Crono more than Sora, Rex, and Lloyd, but being a silent protagonist and another swordsman, I think any other character from Chrono Trigger would be more interesting. Magus is my number one most wanted character but he’s sadly in the same boat as Xemnas, Nia, and Sheena.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom