• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
7NATOR 7NATOR before I make my predictions for the last two of the pass + bonus individual DLC character, I wanna ask something. About the Apex Legends rumors

I know EA is seemingly safe according to your theory, and there’s this guy that insists that an Apex character and music was negotiated for in 2019 but then said “maybe they’re not in this pass”

idk if they’d be the bonus depending on how individual dlc goes but do you think that Apex character could be it?

Additionally, anyone who’s played Apex, how do the characters typically play? Trying to think on something here. Any mechanics I should be aware of?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Personally, the greatest disappointment I personally have is that for as many characters we have, we don't have "home"stages for every character. Leads to some weird stuff with Sheik and Ganondorf being associated with Gerudo Valley or the Fire Emblem cast being associated with a nondescript Castle.
Ike not having his own stage is enough to make me think Smash will never be perfect, because unless we get a remake there's no chance they're going to add a FE9/FE10 stage.

The final map from Path of Radiance could have been a cool option, I think? Having the gardens of the castle as the stage, with maybe some soldiers fighting in the background, sounds like an interesting possibility.
I know some aren't really fans of stage cameos, but the stage could have Ashnard riding his dragon or Tibarn and Naesala flying in the background as well.

If we go with Radiant Dawn I believe that the final map could be also a fine idea.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah. This "deconfirm" rumor heavily affects Japanese characters, deconfirming nearly all possible options. There's still the possibility of Sonic getting a second rep, or them double dipping in Square Enix, but still, if this rumor is true, the options for new, unrepresented third parties mainly lie in the West. Notably, Epic Games was not deconfirmed, meaning that yes, Fortnite in Smash would still be on the table, as is most EA content. There simply won't be a lot of options if this rumor is true outside of the hip and trendy FPS titles like Fortnite and Apex Legends, but there are still other Western developers like Humongous Entertainment left.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think Ayumi Tachibana would be cute as the final character. Not only does she have a new game coming up that gives her the "Nintendo's shareholders will like this" quality, but she is the only unique character planned for Smash 64 that never got in another entry. She's essentially the one that got away, a series mainstay from another timeline that never manifested in ours'.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think Ayumi Tachibana would be cute as the final character. Not only does she have a new game coming up that gives her the "Nintendo's shareholders will like this" quality, but she is the only unique character planned for Smash 64 that never got in another entry. She's essentially the one that got away, a series mainstay from another timeline that never manifested in ours'.
Actually, she was planned for Melee. She was scrapped due to lack of recognizability in the West.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah. This "deconfirm" rumor heavily affects Japanese characters, deconfirming nearly all possible options. There's still the possibility of Sonic getting a second rep, or them double dipping in Square Enix, but still, if this rumor is true, the options for new, unrepresented third parties mainly lie in the West. Notably, Epic Games was not deconfirmed, meaning that yes, Fortnite in Smash would still be on the table, as is most EA content. There simply won't be a lot of options if this rumor is true outside of the hip and trendy FPS titles like Fortnite and Apex Legends, but there are still other Western developers like Humongous Entertainment left.
Riot Games is also safe, and there is that League of Legends rumor that got several things right: the Trials of Mana Spirit Event, and LoL-based games coming to mobile and consoles (Wild Rift for iOS, Android and later consoles; CONV/RGENCE (systems unknown atm); and Ruined King (Steam, PS4 and Switch)).

it only now hinges on the reveal of a Knight (Hollow Knight) PreMiium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix, and that’s got two more chances to materialize (if it’s with CP11 it HAS to come with said LoL rep)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Riot Games is also safe, and there is that League of Legends rumor that got several things right: the Trials of Mana Spirit Event, and LoL-based games coming to mobile and consoles (Wild Rift for iOS, Android and later consoles; CONV/RGENCE (systems unknown atm); and Ruined King (Steam, PS4 and Switch)).

it only now hinges on the reveal of a Knight (Hollow Knight) PreMiium Swordfighter with a Sealed Vessel remix, and that’s got two more chances to materialize (if it’s with CP11 it HAS to come with said LoL rep)
Yeah. Simply put, with this rumor, there aren't a lot of new unrepresented third party ideas that don't come from these "hip and trendy games" like Fortnite, LoL, or Apex Legends. There is still the possibility of Sonic getting another rep, another Nintendo character getting in, them double dipping in Square Enix or Microsoft, and them going for a "less trendy" Western developer like Humongous, but still, most of the remaining options lie with those "hip and trendy" games if this is real.

7NATOR

Smash Master
7NATOR 7NATOR before I make my predictions for the last two of the pass + bonus individual DLC character, I wanna ask something. About the Apex Legends rumors

I know EA is seemingly safe according to your theory, and there’s this guy that insists that an Apex character and music was negotiated for in 2019 but then said “maybe they’re not in this pass”

idk if they’d be the bonus depending on how individual dlc goes but do you think that Apex character could be it?

Additionally, anyone who’s played Apex, how do the characters typically play? Trying to think on something here. Any mechanics I should be aware of?
I don't imagine that Apex would get the Bonus Fighter treatment. It seems if there were a Bonus fighter, it be one that doesn't come with the Challenger Pack contents, and considering that Apex is not only a new franchise, but also a 3rd party, I can't really see it

I see Apex as a Future Smash thing to be honest. although it could still be in FP2, but considering Apex just released in 2019, EA being a Western Company, and all the usual aspects that go into Visualizing the aspects of characters in Smash, unless the Smash team already had a templated moveset for FPS Character and EA/Respawn were very Lax about how their characters were represented, the timeline doesn't add up for them being in FP2 as a full character at least

As for Apex itself, I only played a little bit of it myself, but It plays like Titanfall if you ever played that in terms of the mobility and such. It doesn't have the mechs (yet at least) but each character in Apex do have their special abilities

You got people that can heal people, Use a Harpoon thing to zip across buildings and such, create mirage clones, and etc. In Particular, Wraith, the character that seems the most likely to be the character if Apex got a character, can Create Portals to travel in Space and phase herself, which actually thinking about it does seem like that Projectile Glitch with the forward momentum

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wasn't really a fan of the disconfirmation list leak. It's basically a "you can no longer talk about x, y, or z anymore" leak, except a lot of the characters were previously front runners so it kind of just sent everyone to a state of "so...um...I have no idea what to talk about now".

Also this theory already has a ton of exceptions so I'm just gonna throw it out.

...she is the only unique character planned for Smash 64 that never got in another entry.
Actually, she was planned for Melee. She was scrapped due to lack of recognizability in the West.
She was only considered for Melee. It's the Ice Climbers who went to the planning stages.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I do think it's a bit unlikely for someone to know about a Mii Costume a whole year in advance. That said, I still think a LoL rep is likely, even if this rumor is fake.

Besides Riot getting games for the Switch, we can't forget Nintendo is shaking hands with Tencent and showing interest in MOBAs with Unite (which, in fact, was in beta last I checked).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, turns out they actually considered the rest of Team Star Fox as Fox's alts, apparently, so I guess we can add Peppy and Slippy to the 64 Scrapped Pit. Can't seem to find a source on that, though, just TV Tropes and the wiki. Though, not everyone would agree they count; They're just costumes that were scrapped because they wouldn't fit Fox's build, not fully-fledged fighters. Ayumi's still the only full fighter known who wasn't scrapped.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Whats this Deconfirmation rumour about? I haven’t heard of anything like it.
Basically the theory that Vergeben's earlier "deconfirmation list" for CP5 also applies to FP2, as he never directly deconfirmed any of the characters that have been confirmed for FP2 so far.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I actually do think this theory heavily suggests Epic Games will get content in particular. One of the things I noted in the theory is the Differences in the Original List that Vergeben put out, and the much more accurate version of the list that was payed attention to. Notably, these companies or Categories were on the OG List, but absent on the later accurate version

-Konami (Bomberman)

-Marvelous (Travis)

-Epic Games (???)

-Another Microsoft character (Steve)

-Another Nintendo character (if Monolith is counted separately) (Byleth, Min Min)

-Assist trophy character (Bomberman, Squid Sisters)

Notably , All the companies or Categories here got some form of content in the game, except for Epic Games. If you also consider the no comment thing, then it might start adding up that Epic Games might be getting some form of content

Personally, I think it would end up being a Mii Costume, and Jonsey WON'T be involved

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, turns out they actually considered the rest of Team Star Fox as Fox's alts, apparently, so I guess we can add Peppy and Slippy to the 64 Scrapped Pit. Can't seem to find a source on that, though, just TV Tropes and the wiki. Though, not everyone would agree they count; They're just costumes that were scrapped because they wouldn't fit Fox's build, not fully-fledged fighters. Ayumi's still the only full fighter known who wasn't scrapped.
Source Gaming has a full list of characters that were considered and cut from development for Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
She was only considered for Melee. It's the Ice Climbers who went to the planning stages.
oWo what's this

I think it was from Hobo Nichi interview. The company Shigesato Itoi made.
Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I actually do think this theory heavily suggests Epic Games will get content in particular. One of the things I noted in the theory is the Differences in the Original List that Vergeben put out, and the much more accurate version of the list that was payed attention to. Notably, these companies or Categories were on the OG List, but absent on the later accurate version

-Konami (Bomberman)

-Marvelous (Travis)

-Epic Games (???)

-Another Microsoft character (Steve)

-Another Nintendo character (if Monolith is counted separately) (Byleth, Min Min)

-Assist trophy character (Bomberman, Squid Sisters)

Notably , All the companies or Categories here got some form of content in the game, except for Epic Games. If you also consider the no comment thing, then it might start adding up that Epic Games might be getting some form of content

Personally, I think it would end up being a Mii Costume, and Jonsey WON'T be involved
If Jonesy does get Mii Costumed then that is an even harder hit against new company reps if this rumor is true. I think that LoL rumor is itself fake, but I am not totally dismissing an LoL rep's chances. I also think that Apex Legends is too new for Smash speculation, so unless they decided to go for some other EA game or they decided to go for a smaller Western company like Humongous Entertainment then it is likely that we will see third party double dipping if this rumor is true. Also, Atlus is safe, so the possibility of Shin Megami Tensei getting content is also on the table, especially considering that Joker did not come with any SMT content whatsoever, and Atlus's mascot Jack Frost is absent entirely from Joker's Challenger Pack.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Shadow has more focus on Power compared to Sonic's Focus on Speed, and Shadow being fragile is kind of a callback to how he becomes fragile if he overuses his Chaos Powers, like what happened in SA2. Even then, I imagine it be more of a symptom of being balanced for Smash. Sephiroth and Mewtwo shouldn't be as light as they are but they are in Smash

In any case, While I could see Camping being an issue, the thing is that Sonic gets mainly rewarded for Camping, since he's otherwise really unsafe if he tries to go Aggro due to how his moves work and such

His Moves reward more campyness and less Aggression, especially Spin-dash with how it works and Homing Attack

If they balance Shadow's moves to reward him more if he does go in, than I could see his design being more Aggressive focused compared to Sonic Campyness, especially if he is so light because it Forces Shadow to make the best of his offensive since he can die very easily, since in a practical sense, no one is going to perfectly Camp for the entire game

I don't think his Dash would be completely lagless, just have less than the regular Dodge and Air dodge so it can be used for Agression. I also didn't think of it to be 8 way, Like I don't picture it to go in any Upwards direction.

Shin Akuma is usually banned in any game he's in to my Knowledge, but I will say that how Street Fighter, or Traditional Fighters work is different from Smash. there's much more variables regarding Smash especially regarding How much space you have.

Chaos Control I don't imagine to be a Screen Nuke. I could only see that for the start up of his Final Smash, which I Imagine to be a Super Shadow version of Judgement cut. Perhaps you can charge Chaos Control to increase the radius, but it wouldn't be nowhere near full screen

Well they have coincide with Smash releases in regards to Sephiroth as an example. Min Min was also revealed the same month and in close proximity in Days to the anniversary of ARMS. There's also the spirit events and such

In anycase, I actually don't think Fortnite would be playable anyway. I personally suspect a Mii Costume from them
Sakurai has been celebrating the anniversaries of a lot of Smash repped series on his Twitter.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do think it's a bit unlikely for someone to know about a Mii Costume a whole year in advance. That said, I still think a LoL rep is likely, even if this rumor is fake.

Besides Riot getting games for the Switch, we can't forget Nintendo is shaking hands with Tencent and showing interest in MOBAs with Unite (which, in fact, was in beta last I checked).
Tencent also localized the Switch for China, so there’s that

as for my predictions IF this theory is true:

Reimu’s out since she’s on the “definitely not in” list. Crash too. I do think there’s a possibility of a double dip, moreso with Square Enix IMO (my money’s on Neku; if Microsoft, I’m feelin Ori instead of Master Chief nevermind Ori's apparently deconfirmed). Octoling could be in the pass to fill in the gaps for Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion content, or to promote Splatoon 3, or maybe both. The Projectile glitch could fit Wraith (Apex) according to 7NATOR 7NATOR so she in particular could be possible but only if EA was like “do whatever, mostly”. Then with the Tencent switch partnership as aforementioned, one of their subsidiaries, Epic or Riot, could be represented. I’m feeling more so a LoL rep, with maybe a Fortnite Mii costume. Since the Fortnite director’s “no comment” reminds me of Suda’s “no comment” before the Travis Mii was shown.

the bonus character is 100% Nintendo hands down - unlikely to be a third party at this point, and Namco is out according to said theory. Could be Ayumi Tachibana. Could be the likes of Bandana Dee or Dixie Kong. And yes, since Individual DLC, assuming the bonus is one, don’t need spirit boards, imma lump Elma in too and not just due to personal bias. Caitlin Glass’s voice NDA and Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project are STILL unknown, and who knows maybe this bonus COULD at least come with music and/or a stage, just again no spirit board.

tl;dr

My predictions for the last two of the pass - any combination of Neku Sakuraba, (maybe) 2B (Neku and 2B are mutually exclusive mind you), Ori, LoL character, Octoling (if not the bonus character), Wraith (Apex Legends)

My predictions for the bonus character assuming we do get one and they’re individual DLC like Piranha Plant (music is possible just for them, maybe stage, no spirit board) - Ayumi Tachibana, Bandana Dee, Black Shadow, Dixie Kong, Elma, Octoling (if not in the pass)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
None of this suggests that she was actually in development. It says that Ayumi was being considered, and Iwata's like "really? What does she do? Show a pic". Nothing says that there was a picture to show.
If we're arguing semantics, it was the PR guy saying what she'd do (Whoever PR guy is). Seems like there was a full conversation going on in that interview.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman

So this is part 3 of my "Vergeben List Deconfirm" theory

I just posted it here for consistency sake, Since I know people on here are not really into this theory, (same on Gamefaqs honestly). I will say that to be honest, I'm kind of starting to believe this theory, and I think I Provided evidence that there is merit to it, but I know people wouldn't like the implications of this list if this theory was real
just gave this a read and I think it’s a really interesting theory. Could you touch on why assist trophy promotions were dropped from the updated list? I know it’s a common idea that assist trophies deconfirm, so I’m curious as to why they got dropped from the deconfirm list.

just to clarify- I have never believed that assist trophies deconfirm. I just thought that them being removed from the updated deconfirm list was interesting and I’d love to hear how you came to that conclusion!

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I would say that this one is more like what Harada said about making Tekken 8. Tekken 7 is still doing great, so what's the need of doing a sequel in the near future? In the same vein, MK8D is still doing great, especialy when it comes to holiday bundles, so there's not really a need to make MK9 right now.
That's a terrible mindset. Let's say, conservatively, only half the people who own 8 Deluxe buy the next Mario Kart - that's still 15 million units sold, now the 7th best selling game on the system. And they can market it in a way that doesn't invalidate 8 Deluxe, so people who want more Mario Kart still pick both of them up.

Technomage

Smash Champion
If the last two characters are revealed at the same time, how fitting would it be if they were Crash and Eggman?
Plenty fitting. Things those two have in common include:

Western-favorites
Cartoony and comedic
Representative of Nintendo's competition (especially former)

Wish ROB would finally get a stage. Surprised the devs have never designed a stage based on Gyromite - it has similar potential for free-for-all craziness like Balloon Fight and Mario Bros. do.
Well to be fair, TV Tropes did list a bit of Fridge Brilliance in regards to the R.O.B. series having no home stage at all, stating it could be because R.O.B.'s home, Isle of the Ancients, was permanently destroyed by Subspace bombs, leaving him with no place to call home (and instead having him be fought on the stages of other series).

This Board is inactive at the moment so I’m just going to ask:
Do you think there will be a Bonus Fighter, and if so, who do you think they are? Also Remaining FP2 Predictions would be nice as well. Mine are Yes, with Chell, Zacian, and Ayumi Tachibana as the Bonus.
One of the theories I came up with is that the bonus fighter could be an Echo of CP11.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we're arguing semantics, it was the PR guy saying what she'd do (Whoever PR guy is). Seems like there was a full conversation going on in that interview.
Ah. My eyes refused to read that line correctly it seems.

Still, the discussion was about as surface level as saying that Crash would spin and no mechanics were discussed, so I can't really say it definitively means that she was planned.

7NATOR

Smash Master
just gave this a read and I think it’s a really interesting theory. Could you touch on why assist trophy promotions were dropped from the updated list? I know it’s a common idea that assist trophies deconfirm, so I’m curious as to why they got dropped from the deconfirm list?

just to clarify- I have never believed that assist trophies deconfirm. I just thought that them being removed from the updated deconfirm list was interesting and I’d love to hear how you came to that conclusion!
I didn't make the OG List or the Accurate list. that was on Vergeben and his Source

If you want my input

It's because there may be reason to believe that Potential characters that are already Assist Trophies have some role in the FP2. That's why certain things that were on the OG List are not on the Accurate version of the list.

Now we already saw that Bomberman can fit this, as well as Squid Sisters. That doesn't mean that's all to it though. Just like how Nintendo got 3 characters after the CP5 list was put out, There could be more Assist Content that could be coming

Personally the 3 characters I would look at regarding Assists are Shovel Knight, Shadow, and Waluigi (No bias), Especially the latter two if you want to take into account Papagenos "100% real evidence from back in July of 2020" that implies either or both of them. I assume Papagenos was telling the truth, and he probably got his information from the same well that Vergeben and/or his source got the info for the lists

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean I guess I could see where 7NATOR’s theory comes from since Verge’s updated list said the following and then these things happened:

• No Leon Kennedy (shortly after we got the RE Spirit Event)
  • No Sol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedge, or Billy & Jimmy Lee (shortly after we got the River City Spirit Event, which to me implies no ArcSys playable character as that came before such)
  • no Ubisoft character (we got Rabbids and Altair costumes with Byleth)
  • no Geno or Monster Hunter (as expected, their Miis returned)
  • no Doom Slayer or Ryu Hayabusa (the interviews that shot them down)
  • no Sora (iirc some insider on Era was asked what Sephiroth meant for Sora’s chances and they replied with “Very bad... exclusionarily bad”)

they could be coincidences, sure, but IMO it just lines up too well

SharkLord

Smash Hero
  • No Sol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedge, or Billy & Jimmy Lee (shortly after we got the River City Spirit Event, which to me implies no ArcSys playable character as that came before such)
This is going to "lol no deconfirmed" way too quickly. We got a couple Squeenix Spirits before Sephiroth, but a single event takes out the entirety of ArcSys? All it would take is a quick drive-by to ArcSys and asking them for the Kunio/RCR rights. Guilty Gear and BlazBlue are much bigger for the company, and they didn't even own RCR originally; They just bought it out.
  • no Sora (iirc some insider on Era was asked what Sephiroth meant for Sora’s chances and they replied with “Very bad... exclusionarily bad”)
Anything from unnamed insiders gives me massive doubt. Unless we can get a source on this, I don't think we can take it into account.

Last edited:

Franauts

Smash Cadet
I always thought that if we got a character from a visual novel in smash, Phoenix Wright would be the most suitable, but I would have no problem seeing Ayumi Tachibana, it´s nice that a forgotten IP has some recognition, and if Sakurai was going to do it in Melee.. would be fun to have a character planned for 20 years.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Can someone please explain to me what this new disconfirm leak/rumor is? I don't really understand whats going on with it.

Karen6969

Smash Journeyman
I didn't make the OG List or the Accurate list. that was on Vergeben and his Source

If you want my input

It's because there may be reason to believe that Potential characters that are already Assist Trophies have some role in the FP2. That's why certain things that were on the OG List are not on the Accurate version of the list.

Now we already saw that Bomberman can fit this, as well as Squid Sisters. That doesn't mean that's all to it though. Just like how Nintendo got 3 characters after the CP5 list was put out, There could be more Assist Content that could be coming

Personally the 3 characters I would look at regarding Assists are Shovel Knight, Shadow, and Waluigi (No bias), Especially the latter two if you want to take into account Papagenos "100% real evidence from back in July of 2020" that implies either or both of them. I assume Papagenos was telling the truth, and he probably got his information from the same well that Vergeben and/or his source got the info for the lists
Thanks for that. This is my own personal hopes and dreams speaking but if you take into account this list, the aforementioned “evidence” from July 2020, and the potential for a bonus fighter, a certain purple villain starts to look very possible. Of course this is all running on a lot of what ifs and maybes but it’s still fun to think about- in reality I think there are tons of assist trophy promotions that would be cool to see and if there is one I think there are plenty of good candidates to choose from!

Technomage

Smash Champion
I get why there's doubts about there being more characters after FP2, but we where discussing a potential FP3 not all too long ago. I kind of have a hard time believing that they'd simply quit after such financial succeses. I mean, yeah, Sakurai is probably oversaturated from all this work on Smash Bros., but is Nintendo feeling the same over the amounts of money coming in? I could easily see them continue down this road for a little while.
Plus, the "Sakurai is getting burnt out" argument doesn't hold all that much water when you consider the possibility that Nintendo could just put someone else in charge of FP3 or any further DLC (even if it might not lead to the best results).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom