• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So for the sake of fun, let’s say that it’s announced that there’ll be an Echo Fighter Pass after FP2 comes to a close with four characters. Who would you want to see? My choices would be:
  1. Funky Kong - faster and more mobile than DK with less power. His up special takes him higher and has an animation of him spinning around on his surfboard with a water effect. His final smash is a re-skin of Pit’s or the Dragoon’s where he gets into his plane and then rams into the players
  2. Jeanne - basically the same as Bayonetta with Madame Styx instead of Madame Butterfly and Moth Within instead of Bat Within however her dodges are a lot more precise to land like in the game. Maybe change her final smash to a torture move as well.
  3. Zack Fair - basically just a re-skin of Cloud like how Daisy was with Peach.
  4. Liquid - my favorite idea for an Echo Fighter! He sacrifices Snake’s mobility and stealth for brute strength, so for instance he can’t hold the grenade but it does more damage, he can’t aim the rocket but it does more damage, he can’t detonate the mine but it does more damage, etc. His final smash is the same but has him get into REX. A lot of his animations would probably be changed as well. And for all of the echo fighters, they would have new voice lines, taunts, victory animations and classic modes.
1. Octoling for Inkling
2. Medusa for Palutena
3. Violet for Joker
4. If KOS-MOS is in this pass, T-elos. Otherwise, Black Shadow for Captain Falcon

UserKev

Smash Champion
Wow, bro. An AC discussion and Resetti is literally ignored.. Yup. Resetti is definitely underrated. :ohwell:

While we're on the topic on a third AC fighter, I'd like to bring up Resetti, since he could have some moves that involve digging (such as digging into the ground and popping back up somewhere else, akin to a teleport).
You can do a lot with Mr. Resetti. It's literally written all over the character. We got a Mr. Resetti support thread if you want to post in it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Wow, bro. An AC discussion and Resetti is literally ignored.. Yup. Resetti is definitely underrated. :ohwell:
I would love to see Resetti playable, but the fact that Animal Crossing has essentially retired him nowadays doesn't give me any faith in that happening. I just wanna see his Assist Trophy return, but I'd be really happy to have him as a fighter.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
So for the sake of fun, let’s say that it’s announced that there’ll be an Echo Fighter Pass after FP2 comes to a close with four characters. Who would you want to see? My choices would be:
  1. Funky Kong - faster and more mobile than DK with less power. His up special takes him higher and has an animation of him spinning around on his surfboard with a water effect. His final smash is a re-skin of Pit’s or the Dragoon’s where he gets into his plane and then rams into the players
  2. Jeanne - basically the same as Bayonetta with Madame Styx instead of Madame Butterfly and Moth Within instead of Bat Within however her dodges are a lot more precise to land like in the game. Maybe change her final smash to a torture move as well.
  4. Liquid - my favorite idea for an Echo Fighter! He sacrifices Snake’s mobility and stealth for brute strength, so for instance he can’t hold the grenade but it does more damage, he can’t aim the rocket but it does more damage, he can’t detonate the mine but it does more damage, etc. His final smash is the same but has him get into REX. A lot of his animations would probably be changed as well. And for all of the echo fighters, they would have new voice lines, taunts, victory animations and classic modes.
Gooigi, Malos, Grima and Octoling for Luigi, Shulk, Robin and Inkling respectively.

Technomage

Smash Champion
So for the sake of fun, let’s say that it’s announced that there’ll be an Echo Fighter Pass after FP2 comes to a close with four characters. Who would you want to see?
My choices are:

1) Krystal as a Fox echo, where she'd have not only different attributes, but her Smash attacks could incorporate her staff a la Ganondorf. Yeah, I know that'd seem lazy and that leave Krystal with a lot of untapped potential, but I'd rather have her as that than to not have her playable at all.
2) CD-i Link as a Link echo.
3) Glass Joe as a Little Mac echo, though I would also say that he REALLY should be overall weaker than Mac, who is currently the worst character in the game; otherwise that'd be quite an insult to Mac.
4) Vampire Wario as a Wario echo.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong (:ultdiddy:) - would be a :ultken:/:ultchrom: type echo with different up-b using her hair and different neutral b using bubblegum popgun
Impa (:ultsheik:) - either OOT or SS, possibly some different specials.
Octoling (:ultinkling:) - use different weapons to have different special and final smash
Ms. Pac-Man (:ultpacman:) - use her exclusive "fruits" like Pear, Bananas, and Pretzels.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Metal Sonic for Sonic
Alph for Olimar, if that can't happen than Funky
Proto Man for Mega Man
Dark Meta Knight for Meta Knight

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wanna see Tom Nook be playable, it's disappointing he doesn't share Isabelle's mascot status like he could have had in the past, only having it for a while after New Horizons's release.

there's no reason they can't share the social media, Nintendo.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I did this before I'll just quote what I put in last time.

Filling in the blank spots when the last two fighters show up.

:ultlink::ultyounglink:: Ocarina of Time Adult Link (Just Melee Link but in Ultimate)
:ultbowser:: Dry Bowser (He plays like Melee and Brawl Bowser with Giga Bowser's elemental effects)
:ultganondorf::ultfalcon:: Black Shadow (Brawl/Smash 4 Ganondorf while Ganondorf is reworked)
:ultgreninja:: Sceptile (Uses Leaf Blades instead of water swords for his regular attacks, Energy Ball for Neutral Special, Pursuit for Side Special and Leaf Storm for Up Special)

SKX31

Smash Master
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Belly Armor extrapolating from the fact that you could only hit K. Rool on his head and not on his body in the original DKC? It's been a long time since I played, but I think even his trailer referenced that in one scene, with everyone jumping on his crownless head.
Might actually be that, although I don't consider that to be an extrapolation since Krownerang* has its own kind of armor (12 %, damage taken during it does not harm Belly Armor) and Belly Armor breaks if used too much. Thankfully it's better now than at release when Belly Armor could be one-shot by certain Smash attacks.

*(Its actual name is Crownerang, but the localizers missed an amazing opportunity to use 90s slang. It's something that the DKC series is no stranger to.)

For example:

Daisy: Could summon a Bumper Ball (knocking back opponents when it raises from the ground) and roll around walking on it (akin to Wario's bike), and can jump off of it. If that were to happen, then I'd prefer that Peach NOT have that move too (and instead have a different Shield Special), since it could potentially make Daisy's playstyle outline different from Peach's.
I don't mind that idea: Daisy could certainly benefit from being de-cloned. But it being her shield special considering her current kit... not much of a fan of that. Casually it might not be too much of an issue, but adept Peach / Daisy players can already make their opponents sweat off of one interaction. Of course, not everyone has Samsora's absurd corner pressure ability, but the Ball would give Daisy a bit more vertical reach presumably.

If anything, I'd almost recommend either making it her side special or drastically reducing her Float's range if we're keeping it her Shield Special. It's not a bad idea at all, I just think the context needs to be considered.

Okay, so:

1. Protoman for :ultmegaman: . In essence, the Pichu to Megaman's Pikachu where Protoman deals more damage consistently but takes a lot more too. Would have a shorter Up B but somewhat better air speed and acceleration to compensate. Several attacks would behave differently, like Leaf Shield being replaced by the Skull Barrier.
2. Birdo for :ultyoshi: . Would have a different B and Grab. Might not have the Double Jump Armor, but instead might be given an Up B with better horizontal momentum.
3. Violet for :ultjoker: . Since she'd have a different Persona, her "Arsene" (Cendrillon) would have a different effect - such as changing launch trajectories or increasing knockback growth on the normals instead of acting as a second hit. Also, the rapier she uses would be a good opportunity to adjust the frame data around a bit, perhaps to compensate for the implied range increase.

4. Metal Sonic for :ultsonic: . Has a different Up B, and has a bit more weight to compensate for the loss of a far reaching Up B. The Spin Dash could be replaced by... whatever diamond-shaped move Metal Sonic does in Adventure (2). Might not have Spin Dash's start up invincibility, but could have some armor to compensate for both the absence of start up invincibility and the higher-standing pose.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't mind that idea: Daisy could certainly benefit from being de-cloned. But it being her shield special considering her current kit... not much of a fan of that. Casually it might not be too much of an issue, but adept Peach / Daisy players can already make their opponents sweat off of one interaction. Of course, not everyone has Samsora's absurd corner pressure ability, but the Ball would give Daisy a bit more vertical reach presumably.

If anything, I'd almost recommend either making it her side special or drastically reducing her Float's range if we're keeping it her Shield Special. It's not a bad idea at all, I just think the context needs to be considered.
Hmmm, I do see your point about that making her OP; I just wasn't sure if Sakurai and the Gang would give her new Special or Neutral moves in an update.

Also, I've come up with a shorter term to refer to both Peach and Daisy: Peasy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
So for the sake of fun, let’s say that it’s announced that there’ll be an Echo Fighter Pass after FP2 comes to a close with four characters. Who would you want to see?
  1. Alph for Olimar
  2. Blaziken for Captain Falcon
  3. Octoling for Inkling
  4. If Proto Man and Bass can't be chosen, than Roll for Mega Man.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
*(Its actual name is Crownerang, but the localizers missed an amazing opportunity to use 90s slang. It's something that the DKC series is no stranger to.)
For some reason, I assumed it was spelt "Krownerang".

Remove float. Give triple jump.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Zack Fair
2. Blaze The Cat or Metal Sonic
3. Jeanne
4. Dixie Kong

Paraster

Smash Lord
  1. Octoling, based on Inkling. See here.
  2. Medusa, based on Palutena. Light effects would be replaced by darkness. Maybe incorporate different KI:U powers if you wanted to differentiate more. (Would have listed Viridi as an alternative, but the difference in body type from Palutena means Viridi would need to be a semi-clone at least.)
  3. Galacta Knight, based on Meta Knight. Incorporate light/laser effects. Maybe up the range of melee attacks to match Galacta's lance (likely at the cost of making them slightly slower?).
  4. Shadow, based on Sonic. Honestly not for me personally, but I have no other ideas I'd really like and I know Shadow is popular. Presumably he'd use some of his "chaos powers."

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
1. Octoling for Inkling
2. Jeanne for Bayonetta
3. Zack for Cloud
4. Ninten for Ness/Lucas

(I would have put a Persona character, but none of the characters I'd want would work as echoes).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Off topic, but on today's news of Sony ruining their Japanese business:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202..._the_latest_departure_from_sonys_japan_studio

My condolences to you all. Not only is the series dying, but its developers are disbanding.
Why is it always Gravity Rush that gets hit the worst by this? It's bad enough Kat isn't considered a frontrunner for Sony reps in Smash.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
AT Yoshi should be a thing now because holy ** I ***ing detest fighting that green *, Coney was right, **** Yoshi
Opossum Opossum was right, Smash literally makes people hate characters. Not a single soul hated Yoshi before Smash.

On that note I agree **** Yoshi. I never hated him before in my life until I encountered the little **** in a tournament bracket :thedorf:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would love to see Resetti playable, but the fact that Animal Crossing has essentially retired him nowadays doesn't give me any faith in that happening. I just wanna see his Assist Trophy return, but I'd be really happy to have him as a fighter.
Resetti is essentially AC. He can still get in with the right support. Resetti being retired in AC actually helps his chances if you think about it.

One previous role won't stop him, but solidifying his diverse roles.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Echo Fighters are pretty wonky because they have to have the same exact ability set as their base fighter save for like, one or two things. They're only slightly more lenient than alternate costumes are, but since they're separate characters, they should do something different. So like:
  • :ultmario:Metal Mario
    • Mario, but with a high weight, stupid fall speed, a terrible recovery due to said fall speed, a move derived from Dr. Tornado, and some different attack properties to make sure nothing's broken. Would not be your typical superheavyweight in that he's not slow, but powerful. His speed and strength isn't really all that different.
    • Might not work all that well in practice.
  • :ultdk:Funky Kong
    • Uses DK's Coconut Gun instead of Giant Punch. He is the one who gave it to him after all.
    • EDIT EDIT: Perhaps he loses the Cargo Throw in exchange, though that might not be necessary.
  • :ultlink:Classic Link
    • Link, but with the Gale Boomerang and normal bombs.
    • Probably doesn't work if you change Link further.
  • :ultyoshi:Birdo
    • Yoshi, but it shoots egg items instead of using Egg Lay, and you might be able to get away with giving it more jumps instead of Flutter Jumping.
  • :ultjigglypuff:Igglybuff
    • Stupider Jigglypuff because why not?
    • EDIT: Smaller, faster horizontally, but unable to reach Jigglypuff's heights without using a normal Up Special that renders it helpless. Lighter.
    • Probably not a good idea.
  • :ultfalcon:Black Shadow
    • Captain Falcon, but his burst movement options are worse, and instead they can be used as approach mixups.
  • :ultvillager::ultisabelle:Resident
    • Could be an Echo Fighter of one or both of them.
    • Basically just the aforementioned characters, but they're possible town residents.
    • Not sure what they'd do differently, but the idea is really good, and I don't think it would make sense for them to be straight pallet swaps.
  • :ultmegaman:Proto Man
    • Buster is different, and Mega Upper is (hopefully) replaced with something else.
    • EDIT 3: Takes slightly more damage, but reflects projectiles (at 45 degree angles) when airborne and not attacking. Dash Attack is now Proto Strike.
  • :ultmegaman:Bass
    • Buster is very different, has a normal Forward Tilt, Mega Upper is replaced with Crescent Kick, Rush Coil is replaced with Bass Boost. Slide is kept, but it's re contextualized as Charge Kick.
  • :ultryu:Akuma
    • Ryu, but better, and more fragile.
  • :ultinkling:Octoling
    • Inkling, but any number of changes.
    • Could even be a clone if they wanted to be.
Not a comprehensive list, but it's probably pretty close. There aren't really that many options.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Opossum Opossum was right, Smash literally makes people hate characters. Not a single soul hated Yoshi before Smash.

On that note I agree ** Yoshi. I never hated him before in my life until I encountered the little ** in a tournament bracket :thedorf:
Come on, now, you're being unreasonable. Plenty of people like Yoshi.

Mainly, the people who play him and want to make everyone's pools a living hell. :ultyoshi:

Still less annoying than Ness or Sonic, I have to give it that.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Off topic, but on today's news of Sony ruining their Japanese business:

Why is it always Gravity Rush that gets hit the worst by this? It's bad enough Kat isn't considered a frontrunner for Sony reps in Smash.
Dang, that sucks. To be clear, this probably affects several other series. Some can probably be relocated to other studios, but I wouldn't expect a new Ape Escape game anytime soon, for example.

I'm going to cheat a little and go partway between echo and Melee clone on this one. These would need rebalancing for the most part, but they aren't full reworks of character stats or anything.

1. Ravio on Young Link. Mostly aesthetic changes, with bunny ears on all the items. I don't know how to mess with the gameplay in any significant way without breaking the character, so I'll leave it.
2. Mr. L or Gooigi or Dr. Luigi or something. Make the grab game a little weaker somehow and make the fireball stronger. It feels to me like Luigi in Ultimate was supposed to be a mix of zoner and grappler, but his fireball is too weak and his grab game is too good for that to work in practice.
3. Anything that would fit for Lucario. I mostly want a version of the character that isn't dependent on aura. I love Lucario as a Pokemon. I love his moveset. I just don't like aura.
4. Something for Incineroar. I think Incineroar is a lot of fun, but another character that does the same thing without revenge would be cool to see. I've mentioned Haggar before, and he could pull out a pipe as a replacement move. I'm sure there are other interesting wrestler options, but I don't know many.

As a fun bonus idea, Hawlucha would make an excellent Young Link to Incineroar's adult Link. Speeding around, doing suplexes and divebombs. Yup. good times.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Guess what I came across yesterday?

Not going to lie, if THIS was Nintendo vs. Capcom's roster? I honestly can't say I'd complain.

kylexv

Smash Master
On Mario's official death day, I think I found the reason for Mario 3D All Star's limited release. And, of course, it has to do with money. Let me explain:

This fiscal year (April 1 2020 - March 31 2021) has been giving Nintendo record numbers and profits, especially with Animal Crossing selling record numbers and nobody being able to get the next-gen consoles. Nintendo had been reporting much higher quarterly earnings than they expected, and they seem to want those profits to keep rising. Now, how can they help the fiscal year 2021 become one of their highest earning? By making all of the sales of a big release happen within the remainder of the fiscal year. That way, Mario 3D All Star's won't bleed outside its launch window much like Mario games tend to do. By pulling the game off of store shelves today, the last day of the fiscal year, they are artificially boosting their fiscal year profits.

However, this makes zero sense for Mario 35 (maybe wanted more NSO sales?) and the Fire Emblem localization, so I'm still stumped.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Belly Armor extrapolating from the fact that you could only hit K. Rool on his head and not on his body in the original DKC? It's been a long time since I played, but I think even his trailer referenced that in one scene, with everyone jumping on his crownless head.
Either that, or that one pink fat Kremling enemy from DK64 that does a similar counter animation when you attack them head on instead of throwing the orange bombs at them if I recall...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just wish people would get over the whole "reps" obsession and consider why some series have the amount of characters they do. I really like Animal Crossing, I love quirky additions who aren't natural fighters and AC provides a real great pool of those. I was extremely happy to see Isabelle make it in. But the discussion usually just boils down to "Animal Crossing is a big series so it's gonna have a whole lot of characters". If we were talking about how these characters would actually play I wouldn't have as much of an issue.

Mario and Pokemon provide a lot of natural variety and moveset potential on top of being such massive household names, Fire Emblem changes its cast constantly and all of these characters are seasoned, trained fighters. Sakurai struggled to come up with a single moveset for AC back in Brawl, and with Isabelle decided to rehash half of Villager's kit. This IMO is not really a great launching point for a series to get a million new characters, despite its immense success, and I doubt we'd see AC only get a bunch of semiclones and echo fighters. I think it would be awesome for AC to get another character or two, but I think anyone anticipating it reaching Mario and Pokemon levels of character representation are looking at this the wrong way.

On the flipside I've also seen people argue that this or that series should get more characters on the precedent of sales numbers and how "iconic" the characters are, and refuse to give Animal Crossing that same credit (particularly Tom Nook, who is never mentioned alongside the likes of Dixie Kong or Bandana Dee). I think this is wrong too, but only for consistency sake. If you're gonna put that much stock in sales numbers then the vision of a roster stuffed with Animal Crossing should be a wakeup call that maybe there's a little bit more to it than that.
I just wish the "too many 1st Gen" argument would die.

It doesn't matter if Meowth & Team Rocket debuted in 1st Gen, they should be judged by their own merits, not by the number of characters an arbitrary category they are in currently have in Smash. I think most people acknowledge that Meowth & Team Rocket are very deserving based on their own merits but most of them don't want them in Smash because they are 1st Gen and/or from the anime (despite the fact they are canon in official Pokemon video games now). Ugh!

Oh, and I think Tom Nook deserve to be in Smash! I hope he would be based on Tanooki Mario from Super Mario Bros. 3 (this does not mean I want Tanooki Mario himself in Smash) where Tom Nook uses his tail to attack enemies and to float and can turn into a Gyroid statue (both Villager and Isabelle have at least one move that involves Gyroids so Tom Nook needs one too) and of course the ability to pocket items like Villager and Isabelle. His Final Smash would be the same as Villager and Isabelle except he and Timmy & Tommy are building Nook's Cranny.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Not going to lie, if THIS was Nintendo vs. Capcom's roster? I honestly can't say I'd complain.
I always like it when they include Nintendo characters that haven't actually made it into Smash Bros in these crossovers. They tend to be neglected in most of the crossover fanarts, so its a breath of fresh air.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I just wish the "too many 1st Gen" argument would die.

It doesn't matter if Meowth & Team Rocket debuted in 1st Gen, they should be judged by their own merits, not by the number of characters an arbitrary category they are in currently have in Smash. I think most people acknowledge that Meowth & Team Rocket are very deserving based on their own merits but most of them don't want them in Smash because they are 1st Gen and/or from the anime (despite the fact they are canon in official Pokemon video games now). Ugh!
Though to be fair, Sakurai did state that only characters that originated from video games can get in. Thus, while Meowth can get in (even as the talking Meowth from the anime), Jessie and James cannot because they did not originate from video games.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Though to be fair, Sakurai did state that only characters that originated from video games can get in. Thus, while Meowth can get in (even as the talking Meowth from the anime), Jessie and James cannot because they did not originate from video games.
I think the rule is more that the franchise has to, as we do have content that does not originate from video games such as Ash Greninja, and One Winged Angel (Advent Children).

Also Team Rocket's Meowth and any old Meowth are different characters, so Team Rocket's Meowth isn't really in a different spot from Jessie and James, not that that makes much of a difference in this context.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as the timed release on Mario related games and/or the original Fire Emblem, the thing that always has to be remembered is that while the company has made a significant turn around in the last 4 years and gotten far away from the baffling decisions of the Wii U era..

Nintendo's gonna Nintendo.

There are often an esoteric business that will make odd and out of sync decisions, either because of a particularly misplaced sense of priorities or a stubborn attitude by various older execs within it. The Switch and its infrastructure is rife with it with just a cursory glance and even in an era of incredible profits, there will be moves on their part that will be leaving money on the table in some fashion because that's what they do sometimes.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Fun fact! I was Chrom’s artist for this project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom