• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I generally dislike the trend to just add whatever character comes from the most recent game in a series. Greninja got lucky by becoming so popular, which sort of retroactively justifies his inclusion, but additions like Corrin and Incineroar - though fun - seem destined to feel like antiquities of a bygone era, come another game or two. I think a character should have to come to a degree of prominence before being added, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

ZelDan

Smash Master

SKX31

Smash Master
So, this just came up:
Now, let's take this with a grain of salt, as nothing has been confirmed as of yet.
As was pointed out in the social thread, the source was:

The Gamer
So yeah, it's A) Kinda old news and B) Might not lead anywhere really. This article's not worth much of anything.

(Edited)

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So, this just came up:
Now, let's take this with a grain of salt, as nothing has been confirmed as of yet.
Didn't the gamer make a video about some top 5 best smash players in the world and showed some videos of people playing casually? Yeah this article is a joke.

Edit; here is the video.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
So, this just came up:
"if I had a nickle for every time a clickbait news website made an article on that one Papagenos video, I'd have 2 nickles, which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ngl tho, despite his discovery, seeing Mizumi’s name makes me sick

trigger warning he sexually harassed several people including some minors

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I generally dislike the trend to just add whatever character comes from the most recent game in a series. Greninja got lucky by becoming so popular, which sort of retroactively justifies his inclusion, but additions like Corrin and Incineroar - though fun - seem destined to feel like antiquities of a bygone era, come another game or two. I think a character should have to come to a degree of prominence before being added, but that's just me.
They could just be cut.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think part of the reason people dislike how many characters FE has is because it got a lot of those characters in a short amount of time. In about a year and a half, it went from two characters (:marth::ike:) to six (:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy::4corrin:). If they had waited until Ultimate to bring Roy back, or just not bothered with Corrin, there would probably be fewer complaints.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I think part of the reason people dislike how many characters FE has is because it got a lot of those characters in a short amount of time. In about a year and a half, it went from two characters (:marth::ike:) to six (:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy::4corrin:). If they had waited until Ultimate to bring Roy back, or just not bothered with Corrin, there would probably be fewer complaints.
honestly if they had never added Corrin then Byleth probably would've had a much better reception

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman

Falcom just finished their anniversary stream, here's the results of their latest popularity poll. I'm surprised, but quite pleased to see Adol as first place. Trails of Cold Steel just got an anime announced, too.
The top three are as expected, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the order. For some reason, I got strangely hyped that Adol was first even though I know it's just a popularity poll lmao. I really hope that Falcom gets representation in Smash someday. I find it funny that the top three, in that exact order, are who I would want as a Falcom rep.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ppl tend to forget Awakening SAVED THE FIRE EMBLEM FRANCHISE FROM DYING so of course it would get special treatment

meanwhile, the Chibi Robo franchise: cries in Zip Lash
And luck. It got two Echoes due to just the right situation. Lucina was already modified to being a costume at that point(she was not the same bodyshape normally) and barely needed more than a pixel change to be a little different in size at the tail end of 4's development. Chrom, after being shafted in 4(the issue wasn't him being non-playable, it's how they treated him during that. Being unnecessarily knocked out by Falcon was bad enough, but even Viridi made fun of him. This made people want him even more, since what happened was pretty crappy. He was already a popular pick, of course, before that).

So while it did get special treatment, luck played a role as well. If Echoes weren't a thing, Chrom nor Lucina would've ultimately had a chance. Chrom might've still gotten in, but Lucina was in a much worse position, especially as she's not as important to the plot in the same way Chrom and Robin are, who share the main character spot. She's secondary to them. Of course, the advantage in Smash itself is Marth is never leaving, but Roy might. So it's the opposite in who is more likely to return between the two Echoes. Sad, but... game development trumps a bit more than "character importance" alone. Mewtwo is pretty good proof of that too.

Clones, as noted before(I can't say Echoes, as we have yet to see if they'll get cut), are generally lower priority. Same with semi-clones. But in many cases, they also were added last minute. Even ones planned to be in from the start(Wolf in Brawl specifically) was an easy cut in 4. Lucas too. Neither had any new games coming out at the right time, so that makes sense. That and Wolf was nowhere near as popular as Falco, heh.

I want to however touch on Pokemon Trainer; yes, the cutting of Squirtle and Ivysaur was due to the transformations being removed. But that also means a lot of character work too in return. Them being lower priority isn't that odd, when Chaizard massively trumps them in popularity as is. Mewtwo had significantly more popularity, and still couldn't make it outside of DLC. But yeah, I agree with N3ON it's twofold. They're a unique slot that was removed, but they'd still be in if Transformations weren't cut.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Falcom just finished their anniversary stream, here's the results of their latest popularity poll. I'm surprised, but quite pleased to see Adol as first place. Trails of Cold Steel just got an anime announced, too.
What a funny coincidence that the top 3 are ranked the same like how I ranked their Smash likelihood haha. Interesting how Cold Steel got an anime adaptation announced.

Also Kevin not making it to the top 20 makes me sad. First him not making it to the anniversary art, now this?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And luck. It got two Echoes due to just the right situation. Lucina was already modified to being a costume at that point(she was not the same bodyshape normally) and barely needed more than a pixel change to be a little different in size at the tail end of 4's development. Chrom, after being shafted in 4(the issue wasn't him being non-playable, it's how they treated him during that. Being unnecessarily knocked out by Falcon was bad enough, but even Viridi made fun of him. This made people want him even more, since what happened was pretty crappy. He was already a popular pick, of course, before that).

So while it did get special treatment, luck played a role as well. If Echoes weren't a thing, Chrom nor Lucina would've ultimately had a chance. Chrom might've still gotten in, but Lucina was in a much worse position, especially as she's not as important to the plot in the same way Chrom and Robin are, who share the main character spot. She's secondary to them. Of course, the advantage in Smash itself is Marth is never leaving, but Roy might. So it's the opposite in who is more likely to return between the two Echoes. Sad, but... game development trumps a bit more than "character importance" alone. Mewtwo is pretty good proof of that too.

Clones, as noted before(I can't say Echoes, as we have yet to see if they'll get cut), are generally lower priority. Same with semi-clones. But in many cases, they also were added last minute. Even ones planned to be in from the start(Wolf in Brawl specifically) was an easy cut in 4. Lucas too. Neither had any new games coming out at the right time, so that makes sense. That and Wolf was nowhere near as popular as Falco, heh.

I want to however touch on Pokemon Trainer; yes, the cutting of Squirtle and Ivysaur was due to the transformations being removed. But that also means a lot of character work too in return. Them being lower priority isn't that odd, when Chaizard massively trumps them in popularity as is. Mewtwo had significantly more popularity, and still couldn't make it outside of DLC. But yeah, I agree with N3ON it's twofold. They're a unique slot that was removed, but they'd still be in if Transformations weren't cut.
I would actually argue that Lucina does in fact share the main character spot with them, she just tells a different side of the story

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
What a funny coincidence that the top 3 are ranked the same like how I ranked their Smash likelihood haha. Interesting how Cold Steel got an anime adaptation announced.

Also Kevin not making it to the top 20 makes me sad. First him not making it to the anniversary art, now this?

only played the first trails of cold steel... does the main protagonist stop being boring anime protagonist in teh sequels?
Estelle is in every regard way more fun honestly.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Honestly I Really couldn't se legend of heroes and Ys getting a rep over one another

So that's why there are 6 slots instead of 5 :4pacman:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
only played the first trails of cold steel... does the main protagonist stop being boring anime protagonist in teh sequels?
Can't say because I still haven't played them lol
I wanna play through the Crossbell games before playing Cold Steel.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I would actually argue that Lucina does in fact share the main character spot with them, she just tells a different side of the story
She's a much smaller plot character overall. The main stories focus around Chrom and then Robin. Lucina has her part too, but I wouldn't say it's nearly as important.

As I've said in past things, there's multiple main characters. She's still a main character, but more of a secondary one. It wouldn't affect Smash either way, since Chrom depends upon Roy returning. Unless all Clones and Echoes are cut, there's little reason to believe Lucina would go at any point. The only Echoes that might get cut otherwise is 3rd party negotiations falling through. Most of them are too easy to make anyway(and one barely has a gameplay change. 0.000001% of differences is pretty awful. Sure, the Belmonts aren't much better, but jeez. You can do a little more than that. Dark Samus, imo, for one who only has one elemental difference, is a good bare minimum change-wise. Since there's lots of stuff that affect electric vs fire. That, and the animations make her seem a lot more different than she is. Chrom and Ken are great for other reasons too, and Lucina has no tipper, which is a pretty important gameplay change. Dark Pit's a little eh, but he does have some different moves, so the strategies slightly change from what I remember).

I did misspeak. By not calling her a main character earlier. My bad.

I've made some notes on Super Mario RPG too, since it has a lot of main characters.

Mario and Geno: The core plots also revolved around both. Geno is introduced later and is decently comparable to Robin, that is, not the starting main character but much important. Saving the world is the first plot. Saving the star road is the even bigger plot overall.

Bowser: The core plot has him hard involved, but for reasons that don't matter much at all. He's not however like Lucina, since it leads to nothing important. He's just a cool villain given a fun plot.

Mallow: He holds a slight bit more importance than Bowser due to actually having his plot lead to a tie-in to the main plot in a meaningful way(he isn't there for the ride as an ally). That, and it's fed to you almost immediately, so it is kept throughout the story. This is more comparable to Lucina. A side plot to some degree, but actually more important than it seems.

Peach: Lol, her plot is "give an excuse to start the game off at first, as joke to lead into the first of the two core plots". So more or less what she usually does. Gets kidnapped to make the game "start". She has no significance to the main plot after that. She is still at least put into the story nicely with a boss arc, at least. I mean, I wouldn't say it's the best-written idea, since she's still being heavily treated like her only notable role is damsel in distress, but it's like her original plot point so a plot-driven rpg using it isn't odd. I'm just glad she's existed for reasons beyond that(Zelda as a character has gotten it a little better, but not much).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So... they are keeping the placeholder number at 10 for some reason? That isn't suspicious at all. >_>
I wanna hope trust me... but it’s best to just believe it’s ending and hope some of my “tertiary” MWs are among the last two. Maybe I’ll be surprised. If not, it won’t hurt any more than it already does, just gimme ONE person I really want that’s all I ask

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice

I'm surprised that Lloyd is only 11th, as I'd expect him to be much higher on the ranking. And no sign of Kevin is a bit odd. Otherwise, the poll is pretty close to what I'd expect from a poll over there. I wonder how close the votes were for Adol, Rean and Estelle though. Cool that the three Falcom characters I'd like to see in Smash get the top three positions though, lol. XD

... As for the anime, I'm not sure how to feel about it yet. I hope that it's good though.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Oh wow, they really ARE expanding, huh? I assume getting an anime is a big deal for them...

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Adol in first
AdolCar.png

Seeing him all the way up there was a pleasant surprise. Maybe the Ys/Trails gap isn't quite as big as I expected; Falcom just does a general character poll, so perhaps they just see their fandom as one big umbrella rather than just Trails and Ys. Then again, maybe it's just that the much lower number of Ys characters makes it easier to rally around one or two characters.

The four Ys characters on the poll are the usual suspects. Adol's the one consistent hero, Dana's from ones of the most recent and praised Ys games, Feena and Lilia came from the first games and cemented themselves in Ys' image during Falcom's golden age.

...Wait where the %$#@ is Dogi

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Falcom has had some anime OVAs in the past, such as the Ys OVAs from the 90s, but a full anime is pretty cool! Good for them!

Side note, speaking of anime, as much as I like Adol's modern look, I'd love if Sakurai took inspiration from the OVA for Adol's design. I think a strong classic old school anime aesthetic would really stand out (and anyone who grew up on Toonami would love it!)

ys-iv-the-dawn-of-ys-800x445.png

1EE8CB67153D249F9331FF19FD10499F20BC385E.png

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hey guys and gals, if Sakurai were to add common enemies to Ultimate DLC (in either a mode like Smash Run or just a Horde Battle mode), what common enemies would you like to see? I would like to see:

Mario enemies: Mechawfuls, Shroobs, and X-Nauts

DK enemies: Kremlings, Tiki Taks, Snowmads, and Robokremlings

Zelda enemies: Guardians, Yiga Clansmen, and Gerudo Thieves

Star Fox enemies: Wolfens, and Sharpclaw Tribesmen

Pokemon enemies: Various Pokemon, and Rocket Grunts

Fire Emblem enemies: Grimleal cultists, and Knights of Seiros

Animal Crossing: Scorpions, Tarantulas, Wasps, and Jellyfish

Sonic enemies: Badniks, GUN soldiers and robots, and Black Armsmen

Banjo-Kazooie enemies: Spy-I-Cams and Tintops, Clinkers, Billy Bobs, Jippo Jims, Guvnors, Bigbutts, and Sir Slush the Snowman

Springtron units

Dragon Quest enemies (especially ones with the silliest puns for names, like Crabber Dabber Doos)

Final Fantasy enemies (especially enemy soldiers)

Some Pikmin enemies

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Estelle in 3rd gives me some hope, but also confirms some of my suspicions that Rean would be picked in her place for a Trails rep.

Joshua out of the top 10... kinda breaks my heart, but I guess part of it is because I haven't played the Cold Steel games yet, so I have no relation to some of these other characters.

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
This question is hard to answer, because everyone has their own preferences... but Rean is either a good protagonist or a bad one based on how you perceive him. And how you perceive him will undoubtedly be heavily influenced by your initial reaction to him in CS1.

In terms of the kind of person Rean is, I guess the best way to describe him would be "confused" about who he is, and who he wants to be. He also has self esteem issues. This is very subtle in the first Cold Steel game, and becomes more apparent as you play through them. An example would be in the first game where he tells Elise that he intends to leave the Schwarzer household because he sees himself as a burden. Other examples are even more subtle, like how whenever he and a person he is linked with finishes a fight with a link attack, he almost always attributes the victory to the person he is linked with(some fans even became annoyed with this, if I recall). In a sense, you could say that Estelle and him are the complete opposite in this regard, as Estelle is always confident in herself and her abilities(almost to a fault).

That said, on the surface level... there are a lot of anime tropes/cliches attached to Rean that are impossible to ignore. If you happen to enjoy those things already, then great. If not though, then it can effect your opinion of him negatively. Personally, I think he became more likeable with each subsequent game, but that isn't saying much as it should be that way anyways. I never hated him, but I did initially feel like he was a step down from Estelle (in terms of writing) when I first played Cold Steel. Even now I still feel like Estelle is written better, but Rean is still done well enough once you look past the tropes and cliches and start seeing the deeper aspects of his character.

The only major issue I had with Rean is that he is a little too nice. Like, Estelle never hesitates to tell someone to their face that they are making her mad, or what she'll do to them because of it. Rean, on the other hand, will just accept the abuse due to his low self esteem. Most of the time, anyways. >_>

Technomage

Smash Champion

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
I wanna hope trust me... but it’s best to just believe it’s ending and hope some of my “tertiary” MWs are among the last two. Maybe I’ll be surprised. If not, it won’t hurt any more than it already does, just gimme ONE person I really want that’s all I ask
I agree that it's best to assume the next two are the end, so anything else we get(if we get anything) will be a nice surprise. =)

Speaking of... assuming that we really are only going to get two more characters, then wouldn't the next two characters get done even faster than the ones that came before? I seem to recall people saying in the past that characters are worked on in groups of three with one character being the priority, so if there are only two left that means more people working on them to get them done faster. Or something. I dunno, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom