• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Interesting. Does this, by any chance, increase the chance of the Doomslayer or the Dragonborn becoming part of the roster?
Not necessarily. If they were coming this Pass, it would've been negotiated before the acquisition, based on the timeline we have. However, if Microsoft's relationship with Nintendo is still positive by the time Smash 6 comes around, then they might have a chance then. Keyword: MIGHT.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Ah, I think this color chart needs a little edit and I been holding on to this information ever since I notice it during the P/M presentation. So, here goes, Fighter 9 actually have a secondary color, more specifically it is the Fighter color for Pyra that isn't shown anywhere on the Fighter Pass 2/Smash website, but only in this presentation.

It occurs when Sakurai discuss the difference between Pyra and Mythra, it is a small window featuring the portrait of the characters with the color background. When examining this section, Mythra has the same green background as shown in Fighter Pass 2 while Pyra has a pink background.

Here are some time stamp 12:20, 13:45
Oooooooo, interesting. I never noticed that. That's extremely weird.

Hm. I... personally don't think this changes anything as the Smash website doesn't even show that color at all, nor does the press materials afaik. And I strictly follow the Smash website, so I don't think I'm going to count it in my main stuff.

However, it would be interesting to do an alternate set of calculations just to see what gets altered if that is counted. Thanks for the heads up on this. Can't believe I missed this.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Interesting. Does this, by any chance, increase the chance of the Doomslayer or the Dragonborn becoming part of the roster?
For this pass, it doesn't affect their chances as the pass was decided long before this acquisition. But this means that for future DLC and Smash games, Doomguy and Dragonborn will not only be competing with each other, but also with Master Chief.

As a big fan of all 3 of those, I don't know how to feel about this.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
there's probably a way to tie this tweet into current discussion but i don't feel like trying

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Personally, for the future of Smash at least (since he’s not happening for Ultimate), I believe this hurts Doomguy tremendously.

Doom may be the grandfather of the FPS genre, but being owned by Microsoft puts him in direct competition with Master Chief, one of the most prestigious and beloved video game characters of all time, a similarly green clad FPS marine with a strong legacy of his own. Halo also presents itself in a way that would be far easier to implement into Smash without sacrificing core elements of the series.

I think given the choice, Master Chief is 9/10 times gonna be the smarter and more effective pick.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Maser Chief and Doomguy are a half-and-half situation for anything after FP2. The former codified the modern FPS genre and is emblematic of the Xbox brand, while the latter is a classic that codified FPS games as a whole and is readily available on Nintendo system. Though, there's also the fact that Halo is a lot cleaner and less gory than Doom aesthetically, but it's not like games haven't been censored for Smash before. Case in point, Snake and Bayonetta.

Really, it all depends on what they're going for.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I generally dislike the trend to just add whatever character comes from the most recent game in a series.
I think a character should have to come to a degree of prominence before being added, but that's just me.
It is also me.

Not in this pass. But now it makes those characters part of a company that already has a working Smash relationship.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Falcom just finished their anniversary stream, here's the results of their latest popularity poll. I'm surprised, but quite pleased to see Adol as first place. Trails of Cold Steel just got an anime announced, too.
Yeah. Not surprised to see Trails characters dominating the top 20, with only 4 Ys characters here. As SharkLord said, Trails has a lot more characters and has a bigger focus on story/narrative than Ys. Stil, I was expecting 1 o 2 Ys characters more here. Kinda surprised Chester isn't there for example, I think he's quite popular.

As for the list, I'm also kinda surprised seeing Adol in first place. I thought it was going to be Rean, who got second place, but still. Seeing Estelle at third place is great, and Dana in fourth place is also kinda surprising for me, didn't know she was that popular among japanese fans.

They also did a top 20 of Falcom music and a top 20 of "First Falcom game people played", for anyone who's interested.

Music:

1. Silver Will (Trails in the Sky SC)
2. To Make The End of Battle (Ys II)
3. The Whereabouts of Light (Trails in the Sky FC)
4. Blue Destination (Trails of Cold Steel II)
5. Sunshine Coastline (Ys VIII)

First game played:

1. Trails in the Sky FC
2. Trails of Cold Steel
3. Ys I
4. Zero No Kiseki/Trails from Zero
5. Ys VIII

Silver Will getting the first place in the music poll. As it should be.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Sorry to bring up Falcom again but this 40th anniversary stuff has brought up some good polls..

We already discussed the character poll but there is a favorite song poll and that might indicate what songs we could potentially see in a hypothetical Falcom Challenger Pack

They also did a poll to see what was the first Falcom game people played was

This has less to do with smash I just find it interesting.

I somehow got :ultgreninja:'d whilst typing this

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah. Not surprised to see Trails characters dominating the top 20, with only 4 Ys characters here. As SharkLord said, Trails has a lot more characters and has a bigger focus on story/narrative than Ys. Stil, I was expecting 1 o 2 Ys characters more here. Kinda surprised Chester isn't there for example, I think he's quite popular.

As for the list, I'm also kinda surprised seeing Adol in first place. I thought it was going to be Rean, who got second place, but still. Seeing Estelle at third place is great, and Dana in fourth place is also kinda surprising for me, didn't know she was that popular among japanese fans.

They also did a top 20 of Falcom music and a top 20 of "First Falcom game people played", for anyone who's interested.

Music:

1. Silver Will (Trails in the Sky SC)
2. To Make The End of Battle (Ys II)
3. The Whereabouts of Light (Trails in the Sky FC)
4. Blue Destination (Trails of Cold Steel II)
5. Sunshine Coastline (Ys VIII)

First game played:

1. Trails in the Sky FC
2. Trails of Cold Steel
3. Ys I
4. Zero No Kiseki/Trails from Zero
5. Ys VIII

Silver Will getting the first place in the music poll. As it should be.
Trails, Trails everywhere. I think this reinforces the idea that Trails is the bigger series at this point.

D

Deleted member

I thought light speed was faster than sound.

Guess science was wrong for all those years. :4pacman:
Just for the chance to 'Umm, actually' someone, Sonic, with the Light Dash shoes using the Light Dash, has been stated to briefly run at light speed. It's just that his average is significantly slower than that (since, you know, Light speed is super freakin' fast).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this rate Doom Slayer ain't happening. The interview, CacoMallow being dead in the water at this point, and such.

I find Master Chief to be more likely. I think either him, Crash, or even perhaps Dovahkiin will be our E3 Month/June reveal.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A Falcom rep also falls into the "Left out of Base game" if we take leaks or insider info into account. Worth keeping an eye on given how Pass 2 is so far.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If we get a Falcom character, could we get 50 tracks coming along?
Hopefully, Falcom tends to be pretty lenient and I think that even a few songs are even Royalty Free but don't quote me on that

Hell, Yuzo Koshiro composed a bunch of remixes in smash he did the soundtrack to Ys 2 so they even have some good will with smash.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Personally, for the future of Smash at least (since he’s not happening for Ultimate), I believe this hurts Doomguy tremendously.

Doom may be the grandfather of the FPS genre, but being owned by Microsoft puts him in direct competition with Master Chief, one of the most prestigious and beloved video game characters of all time, a similarly green clad FPS marine with a strong legacy of his own. Halo also presents itself in a way that would be far easier to implement into Smash without sacrificing core elements of the series.

I think given the choice, Master Chief is 9/10 times gonna be the smarter and more effective pick.
I only disagree about the easier implementation part. I think Doom’s overthetopness fits Smash better than Chief who’s a more grounded character in general. Doomslayer has infinite weapons at once, can double jump, explode enemies with his fists and do other silly things like that.

Boys, the meta has changed.
What skeleton even is that? donkey kong? Thanks I hate it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sorry to bring up Falcom again but this 40th anniversary stuff has brought up some good polls..

We already discussed the character poll but there is a favorite song poll and that might indicate what songs we could potentially see in a hypothetical Falcom Challenger Pack

They also did a poll to see what was the first Falcom game people played was

This has less to do with smash I just find it interesting.

I somehow got :ultgreninja:'d whilst typing this
Lol but actually your pics are more useful, because they show the titles of the songs in english, unlike the pics I posted.
Which is appreciated because I didn't recognize some names.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

This, pretty much.

I kinda don't feel like Doomguy or any Bethesda character are going to have much presence in Smash speculation going forward. I think a lot of the hype for it was from Bethesda actually beginning to support Nintendo consoles; prior to the Switch's reveal back in 2016, hardly anyone was really pledging support for Doomguy or Dovahkiin or whatever. But it was the announcement of the Skyrim/DOOM/Wolfenstein Switch ports that gave them more mindshare amongst Nintendo/Smash fans.

But sadly, all of that seems to be coming to an end with Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda, who will almost assuredly be making Xbox/PC exclusive games from here on out (besides the occasional weirdo MMO like Fallout 76 or Elders Scrolls Online), and well, if Nintendo wasn't interested in a character from them back when they were a multi-platform developer, then I don't see them being interested now when they're a first party developer for one of their competitors. I guess you could of said a similar thing regarding Banjo, but I don't think Bethesda characters have nearly as much specific levels of fan demand going for them.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The timeline where Terry Bogard of all characters came to Smash. That seemed to encourage people to think a little more outside-the-box.
Terry did make sense though. His games we're what inspired Smash and without them we wouldn't have it. I'm just surprised it took Terry this long...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Thought that was Kingdom Hearts?
KH was far from the first

Dragon Slayer, Tower Of Druaga and Hydlide are like the 3 games used to define the Action RPG in Japan. (Although Tower Of Druaga isn't really an RPG but that is a personal thing.) Dragon Slayer was designed by the guy that created Tower Of Druaga so in a way it is the successor to ToD

and Xanadu And Ys were spawned from that and they sold really well and added a lot to the formula

(And you can argue that Dragon Slayer was the first JRPG but that is a whole ass debate.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom