• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Kneejerk Predictions after the Presentation and the Figures thing likely meaning we're getting one more character with a figure:
Sombra (Overwatch)
2020's Character.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Come to think of it, Nightmare and Chosen Undead still seem like pretty fine choices. It’d make sense to bring Lloyd back with them.
So with Monster Hunter pretty much dead as a fighter, can we basically assume that all Capcom reps are toast from here on out?
Thats what most of us think.
Um, yeah.. a vague negotiation rumor back on Ultimate base game that never stated who's this character is and a port makes him a lock. At least Crash have Anniversary backing him up.
And the fact Koei Tecmo has already been actively supporting Smash. Even recently with the Hyrule Warriors AoC spirit event.
Also, Vergeben definitely said something about Hayabusa in Smash around 5 months ago.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With Monster Hunter gone I see little reason for me to doubt Hayabusa anymore. Originally I was concerned about the prominence of sword and sword tangential characters suggesting only one or the other would make it... and well, it wasn’t the one I was thinking, but my confidence has returned in Hayabusa.

Um, yeah.. a vague negotiation rumor back on Ultimate base game that never stated who's this character is and a port makes him a lock. At least Crash have Anniversary backing him up.
Koei Tecmo is probably Nintendo’s closest partner without significant representation in Smash and Ninja Gaiden is a classic series with heavy ties to the NES era. Saying a rumor is all he has is just ignorant.

And for the record, Vergeben has backed that claim as recently as five months ago and confirmed it was regarding Smash. So you’re downplaying that too.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Uuuh... yes they do?

I think this theory basically tells us nothing, because every decently popular fictional character under the sun has figures, but there you go.

Meta Knight and Ganondorf, huh. Looks like we got the best and worst of Brawl in a single character.
It definitely eliminates Janna though. Also, I doubt that it's going to be someone using a Chibi Figure lol.

Staarih

Smash Master
So with Monster Hunter pretty much dead as a fighter, can we basically assume that all Capcom reps are toast from here on out?
I wouldn't personally go that far, though I feel like there'd be a lot of Capcom stuff if we got another round of Capcom Mii costumes alongside a Capcom character. Compared to other third party developers I mean. But of course nothing is stopping that from happening haha.

The big take here really is that Monster Hunter is likely not happening, and RIP concert leak.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Alright! Checklists updated!

The SNES Classic is SOOOOOOOOO close to completion! C'mon Contra! I'll even take a Bill Rizer Mii Gunner!

Kinda funny they gave a shout-out to Battletoads there considering it was owned by Microsoft at that point...

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
With Monster Hunter gone I see little reason for me to doubt Hayabusa anymore. Originally I was concerned about the prominence of sword and sword tangential characters suggesting only one or the other would make it... and well, it wasn’t the one I was thinking, but my confidence has returned in Hayabusa.

Koei Tecmo is probably Nintendo’s closest partner without significant representation in Smash and Ninja Gaiden is a classic series with heavy ties to the NES era. Saying a rumor is all he has is just ignorant.

And for the record, Vergeben has backed that claim as recently as five months ago and confirmed it was regarding Smash. So you’re downplaying that too.
Mii Costume is always a strong possibility given his outfit is easily Mii-able

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
And the fact Koei Tecmo has already been actively supporting Smash. Even recently with the Hyrule Warriors AoC spirit event
I mean that could be anyone and that's even a strong point against Hayabusa and moreso a benefit for a Dynasty Warriors character since Nintendo really holds value on the series that it wouldn't be a surprise.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
No, because the Monster Hunter was never the only possible Capcom DLC character.
If it was just the Monster Hunter mii costumes I might get it, but Arthur coming out of nowhere is a big shot to the chances of Capcom as well. They clearly saved prior mii costumes for their respective company passes (like how they saved Geno for Sephiroth). And with Sakurai giving an off-hand mention about the large number of Capcom miis we got, I more or less don't see Capcom getting a fighter. Funnily enough he also said a similair non-chalant mention during Terry's presentation where he said the Bamco devs working on Smash sometimes forgot Pac-Man was their character and he had to remind them.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I mean that could be anyone and that's even a strong point against Hayabusa and moreso a benefit for a Dynasty Warriors character since Nintendo really holds value on the series that it wouldn't be a surprise.
You mean aside from the fact Hayabusa represents both Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden and is actively backed by Vergeben. Hayabusa is 99% our Koei rep if there is one.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not looking forward to the next 3 months of Lloyd showing up in everyone's speculation now, only to still end up a Mii.

If it was just the Monster Hunter mii costumes I might get it, but Arthur coming out of nowhere is a big shot to the chances of Capcom as well. They clearly saved prior mii costumes for their respective company passes (like how they saved Geno for Sephiroth). And with Sakurai giving an off-hand mention about the large number of Capcom miis we got, I more or less don't see Capcom getting a fighter.
Yeah...I'm not happy about it, but Capcom seems pretty unlikely now.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Who says I'm downplaying, I'm just saying that making him a lock is such a close minded decision.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ehh, if it’s a point against Hayabusa then it’s a point against Dynasty Warriors as well. Only thing it really gives us is that Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo have indeed had conversations about Smash. There’s really no evidence pointing anywhere else.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Only thing it really gives us is that Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo have indeed had conversations about Smash.
I was just going to say this because, while the negotiation is true, people just jumped the Hayabusa bandwagon and say this is the right answer, it's just irks me that there's no real definitive answer on who's this character and yet boasting and say that they're "99% confirmed", "a lock" and I have to take the L. It feels really greedy.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
No, because the Monster Hunter was never the only possible Capcom DLC character.
But if we were getting another Capcom character, wouldn't it make sense to save other Capcom representation for that reveal? I mean, there's a minute chance that Sakurai could be completely arbitrary with this, but it seems pretty unlikely. Consider the fact that Monster Hunter is absolutely HUGE, especially in Japan, yet all they have to show in Smash are some old costumes for a totally unrelated IP. Doesn't lend a lot of confidence to another Capcom rep.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I suppose we could get another Capcom character, but that assumes this character comes with enough costumes to effectively bump 7 full costume sets + one hat (X, Zero, Proto Man, Mega Man.EXE, Hunter Armour, Rathalos Armour, Felyne hat, and Arthur) into other packs while still having 4-6 other Capcom costume sets in their pack.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see that really happening. Square's current got the most Mii costumes at 9 (Erdrick, Veronica, the Martial Artist set, Slime hat, Chocobo hat, Tifa, Aerith, Barret, and Geno) and it took them two full waves and (presumably) a lot of bargaining to accomplish that. I don't see Capcom reaching that number, let alone eclipsing it with 11-13 costumes.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
So Sakurai confirmed that they didn’t have Rex fighting alongside Pyra/Mythra in Smash, because it would have gone past the boundaries of what they could do in 8 Player Smash, hmmmm.
Anyway, Pyra & Mythra look fun, can’t wait to play them. I’m also happy Arthur is in as a Mii Fighter costume; having the first game I ever played represented in Smash is awesome. A little disappointing to think we probably won’t get a new Capcom fighter, but now I’m even more curious as to who the last 2 fighters are.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I suppose we could get another Capcom character, but that assumes this character comes with enough costumes to effectively bump 7 full costume sets + one hat (X, Zero, Proto Man, Mega Man.EXE, Hunter Armour, Rathalos Armour, Felyne hat, and Arthur) into other packs while still having 4-6 other Capcom costume sets in their pack.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see that really happening. Square's current got the most Mii costumes at 9 (Erdrick, Veronica, the Martial Artist set, Slime hat, Chocobo hat, Tifa, Aerith, Barret, and Geno) and it took them two full waves and (presumably) a lot of bargaining to accomplish that. I don't see Capcom reaching that number, let alone eclipsing it with 11-13 costumes.
Capcom definitely has enough characters to fill a Costume Wave multiple times over.

RE Protags (Leon, Chris, Jill), Nero, Vergil, Miles Edgeworth, Maya, Waka, Issun, Morrigan, etc.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
As someone who really wanted Amaterasu or Phoenix, I'm personally gonna say yes.

Because this wasn't a case of "Oh man, the Monster Hunter costume came back!" This was an entire wave of Capcom costumes. Yeah, it's to coincide with Rise, but with only two slots left, it doesn't make sense to me that they would release 4 Capcom costumes separately from a Capcom fighter.

Which fits with the lack of Smash content in the Capcom leak, kills some VERY heavy hitting names in the speculation scene, and makes these final two slots all the more interesting for me to theorize about.

It's a huge shame, of course, but between Ryu, Mega Man, an Echo, and an entire boss, I think base game still nailed classic Capcom representation.

I'm personally moving forward from Capcom as DLC now, which is...definitely not something I was expecting to say today haha. What a bombshell.

Very much looking forward to that Arthur costume doe.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So, with there being only 4 mii costumes, doesn't that mean the news stuff has 4 empty slots instead of 2?

What could they be for? Could they just be like some past empty slots that ended up unfilled?

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
It makes sense to see this MH and GnG costumes as boths IPs are getting new (temporal) exclusive titles to switch very very soon. Sakurai hinted at this at the presentation.

But as some others said, there are a lot of potential mii costumes we can still get with a capcom rep like Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Ace Attorney, Viewtiful Joe, etc.

Either way, I don’t expect a Capcom rep. My guesses are Crash and another swordfighter like Ryu Hayabusa or Lloyd.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It definitely eliminates Janna though. Also, I doubt that it's going to be someone using a Chibi Figure lol.
I mean... even if that was the case, there's still, what, 155 champions to choose from? That's a far cry from "most are out", like you said. Also doubt the style of figure matters, Sakurai's collection seemed pretty varied.

I don't think figure theory will give us any useful info. It's like Color theory in the sense that it's ultimately right, but tells us next to nothing about who the fighters will be.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Capcom definitely has enough characters to fill a Costume Wave multiple times over.

RE Protags (Leon, Chris, Jill), Nero, Vergil, Miles Edgeworth, Maya, Waka, Issun, Morrigan, etc.
It's true that Capcom has enough costumes to fill a wave, but so do a lot of companies. Sega already has Tails, Knuckles, Akira, Jacky, Yu, Makoto, the Teddie hat, and the Morgana hat. Add in Kiryu, Arle, a Puyo hat, and Sakura and you reach the 11 costumes Capcom would need.

The problem is whether or not any company would get that much love though. Personally, I just can't see Sakurai giving that degree of Smash real estate to anyone. It feels unrealistic to me for the same reason that double-dipping into a specific third-party company for any DLC wave feels unrealistic.

SKX31

Smash Master
Meta Knight and Ganondorf, huh. Looks like we got the best and worst of Brawl in a single character.
As for who's which of those two, that is for you to decide. :p

Fun fact: It was during the Brawl era when Ganondorf started to gain that "Disrespectful" moniker, and it solidified during Smash 4's lifespan. Partly because the Ganoncide first became a thing in Brawl, partly because Ganondorf is based 100 % around hard reads, and partly because certain players started to gain traction.

Such as my favorite Smash player of all time. Sure, not the best or anything like that. But if he gets the upper hand he can destroy someone with the flashiest 4 down airs in a row followed by an Up Tilt:

I'd add Strider (if he's not playable, which is slim) Bison (he isn't a Mii already, is he?), Cody or Mike Haggar, Hsien-Ko (Morrigan or Dmitri would be the Darkstalkers character to pick for playable if they ever went that route) etc.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The problem is whether or not any company would get that much love though. Personally, I just can't see Sakurai giving that degree of Smash real estate to anyone. It feels unrealistic to me for the same reason that double-dipping into a specific third-party company for any DLC wave feels unrealistic.
And why would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom