• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Being obnoxious about Lloyd aside...

Good presentation overall. Pretty much everything put in the game is high quality. The characters look fun. The Mii costumes look good. The stage is great. And we got three Xenoblade remixes. Heck we even got some good Sakurai memes.

I'm pretty satisfied.

And yeah for the record, Lloyd probably isn't happening.

But what if though?:drshrug:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Keep in mind, Sakurai said he keeps reference figures for unreleased fighters in a locked drawer, he said nothing about every fighter having a figure.

There's a reasonably high chance that one of FP10 or FP11 don't have figures.

Huh... I guess we're speculating on FP10 now. Where does the time go?

SKX31

Smash Master
Mythra has 3 dodges, baybee (including Down B)! I can already see the dodge spam incoming.

they're looking a lot like the other swordies we have, except their "swap to echo" button is used during the match instead of just before it. hmm.
Not exactly IMHO:

* To me Myhtra looks a lot like she'll play kinda Meta Knight mixed with ZSS, Sheik and some Mii Brawler. Now I'm mentioning Brawler since her Specials look pretty damn committal as hell (especially Lightning Buster, but also both Up B variants). Confirming and stringing together stuff will be how Myhtra racks up damage, as well as recovering (even if her recovery options are commital).

* Pyra's not only taking after Mr. DORIYAH himself, but her gameplan will likely take some cues from Rosalina (Side B working kinda like sending Luma but covering more of the stage plus her aerials looks like they'll send in similar directions - for example Down Air) and some cues from Link (the Spin). Contrary to Mythra she'll rely a lot more on mindgames, positioning and burst damage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm gonna fail at blind speedrunning the og Mario Bros. until release, well as blind as you can get for a game like that lol. See y'all around. Also god Rex gives off such house husband vibes in this game I love it.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don’t think Capcom is dead, but it’s lost its biggest leg to stand on now that its costumes are all back. However, the Mega Man costumes were already distributed wily-nily so it’s not like it was nerf or nothing when it came to the Monster Hunter costumes. Monster Hunter getting its costumes now would be weird if there was a Capcom fighter coming up next, but I can see them striking when the iron is hot while Capcom is getting a fighter later.

FP2 getting its finality re-emphasized doesn’t bode well for an FP3 and honestly at this point I don’t want there to be an FP3.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I am so pleasantly surprised to see Arthur get the Mii treatment. That is like the PERFECT choice for a Mii! Iconic but not beloved enough to take a spot in the roster, plus his outfit just fits so well. Only regret is not getting the classic Ghosts n Goblins theme to go along with him.

I really hope the theory about the next fighters having to have accurate official figurines takes off, that just sounds like a fun thread of speculation even if it's kinda meaningless lol.

And finally, I doubt Capcom being dead. Sakurai outright said that essentially Capcom paid Nintendo to advertise their new game in this DLC wave. If the Capcom character is coming months down the line, then the advertising becomes less effective, so they wanted it done now. Capcom has so many characters unrelated to Monster Hunter or Ghosts n Goblins that this could mean anything imo.

I haven't even played Xenoblade Chronicles X and even I'm sad at how shafted it is.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I don't think all Capcom characters are out of the running; just the ones revealed as Miis. I kinda thought Monster Hunter's chances were low already and like someone mentioned before, I feel like there are better choices out there still available.

If anything, the fact that all they revealed was 2 different Capcom series for mii Costumes, Monster Hunter & Ghosts & Goblins, should give people more hope. They've got a lot of properties that are well known. The fact that none of them made an appearance here should tell you that maybe they're being held back for a Capcom reveal.

I don't really care either way since my only wishlist at this point is Dr. Robotnik and a Gen 8 pokemon; just figured I'd give a little hope to people who are discounting an entire company a little too quickly.
Look on the bright side people!
Phoenix Wright and Dante still have a chance!

Staarih

Smash Master
...but that would just make me think the opposite of what everyone else is saying. 2 fighters left clearly refers to the end of the current pass. I don’t think I’m grasping at straws, I just feel if we weren’t going to see further development Sakurai would’ve made a more definitive statement here, especially knowing how psychotic the fans of his game are.
He did also say something along the lines of "two more opportunities to bring you videos like this", implying the two remaining presentations will be it.
...but then again I guess it's still vague enough to be a definitive statement.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
A note about figure theory: Rosalina to my knowledge only had a crappy kids Toy model before her Amiibo, the sole reason I bought hers is because it was the nicest piece of Rosalina merch at the time. I'm sure a character doesn't need a nice high def figurine to get in.
CP11 probably doesn't have one because it's probably a 2020/2021 Character lol.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
A note about figure theory: Rosalina to my knowledge only had a crappy kids toy model before her Amiibo, the sole reason I bought hers is because it was the nicest piece of Rosalina merch at the time. I'm sure a character doesn't need a nice high def figurine to get in.
They don’t, but when he talks about figures relating to unreleased fighters. It implies that one, if not both have a figurine

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I do have to laugh at the fact that Sakurai, the guy who reworked every stage so Steve could exist, looked at another potential Ice Climbers and said, nah that's too hard.
It sounded like it's a matter of system limitations more than anything - 8 player smash already requires work-arounds for some characters (I think that Wii Fit Trainer's model gets altered, though maybe I'm thinking of Smash 4 - I recall her thumbs-up victory pose looking different depending on whether or not you're playing 8-player smash), and having 16 Ice Climbers on-stage is already a lot. I'd think that having 8 Rexes, 8 Pyras, and having all of those Pyras transform into Mythra throughout the match (or having them all transform at the same time) would cause slowdown, to say the least.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I suppose Capcom isn’t outright dead, but even my biased a** can see the writing on the wall. Capcom could definitely have solid enough Mii costumes for its own CP (I E a DMC pack with 3 DMC characters, Lloyd, and a Phoenix Wright Premiium), but that is waaaayyyyy more cotumes than any other third party if I’m not mistaken.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I do find it odd that this Mii Costume wave has less Ultimate original content than either Square-Enix waves. Maybe Capcom isn't necessarily dead, and this is just a special case where they really want to advertise the upcoming Capcom Switch games. It's hard to say though.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
So given the whole “Unreleased fighters have their figures locked in drawers”

Does that mean it’s a hint that the last two fighters have some kind of statue/action figure released?
At least one does. And hey, Figure Theory isn't the weirdest one that's been made.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I do find it odd that this Mii Costume has less Ultimate original content than either Square-Enix waves. Maybe Capcom isn't necessarily dead, and this is just a special case where they really want to advertise the upcoming Capcom Switch games. It's hard to say though.
My guess is a special case because Capcom paid Nintendo for a Mii Wave lol

Technomage

Smash Champion
Last known image of Sakurai before his untimely demise, circa. 2021
View attachment 305840
LOL Does that mean FP2 is cut short? ;P

For the sake of argument, if there is a Capcom character coming, chances are it will be coming with a set of new and series appropriate costumes.

So we could possibly give Mii's Guile's majestic hair or make Edgeworth engage in fisticuffs.
I actually posted a question about that, and got at least 1 answer. On this thread:

(1) Speculation on exact release date? | Smashboards

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Today on "Things Only I Care About": the Xenoblade 2 Spirit Board has two Legend Spirits instead of the usual one--one of them a primary, the other the requisite "unique skill" support.
View attachment 305839
Not to mention _____________ is another 4-star spirit.
Rex's Master Driver Outfit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom