• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Not sure where the hate for Sakurai's video is coming from... They're quite popular and obviously people enjoy them. And since we've also had reveals and "Sakurai Plays" separately, just watch what you want instead of complaining on the extra? The longer ones are completely optional, nobody is forcing you to watch them...

I'll say like others, but Sakurai geeking out on Banjo, SNK and others has been really fun. You can tell he's enjoying it all, well beyond Nintendo's CEO just snapping his fingers during a direct you know he's only cashing in on.

Shroob

Sup?
Not sure where the hate for Sakurai's video is coming from... They're quite popular and obviously people enjoy them. And since we've also had reveals and "Sakurai Plays" separately, just watch what you want instead of complaining on the extra? The longer ones are completely optional, nobody is forcing you to watch them...

I'll say like others, but Sakurai geeking out on Banjo, SNK and others has been really fun. You can tell he's enjoying it all, well beyond Nintendo's CEO just snapping his fingers during a direct you know he's only cashing in on.
I love Sakurai geeking out, but running classic mode for the sake of it, unless there's a neat gimmick like Sephiroth's, is boring.

What'd be fun is something like, I dunno, Sakurai fighting some of his employees? Classic mode just feels soo samey and dull when you do it every time, and there's no cool gimmick like Sephiroth's boss rush.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Meanwhile:
Sakurai is once again making it clear that character choices aren't up to him, only to make sure they work as Smash characters.

They want sword characters, huh? Well then I found the perfect game for them to promote! Though it's not exactly a "Sword" character.

Stabbed.png

EGGMAN.... from Doctor Robotnik's Ultimate Stabby Knife Fight. It's a real game, trust me. The 30th Anniversary Sonic game is a knife-fighting sim starring Eggman, and the perfect game for another sword fighter to promote! Sakurai won't have a say in the matter. Nintendo wanted another Sonic character, Eggman was the perfect choice, SEGA wanted the newest game promoted, and that game was Doctor Robotnik's Ultimate Stabby Knife Fight, so Smash Bros Eggman is a knife fighter/sword character.

Everyone wins.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I like Sakurai and his jokes and weirdness and madman energy of explaining binary counting like it's something we should know.

The only thing I can't be bothered with is the classic playthrough. Seems superfluous. I also already know whatever series he's explaining but I get why that's there. Especially if you don't know what an SNK is.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I like Sakurai and his jokes and weirdness and madman energy of explaining binary counting like it's something we should know.

The only thing I can't be bothered with is the classic playthrough. Seems superfluous. I also already know whatever series he's explaining but I get why that's there. Especially if you don't know what an SNK is.

I too can do without the Classic playthrough. I'm just like "It's ok Sakurai, I'll just play that bit for myself"

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Unlike Doctor Robotnik's Ultimate Stabby Knife Fight, the rumor that pretty much never gets brought up, here we go again with the rumor that never dies!

We get to play another round of "will they, won't they" with the Switch Pro

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Unlike Doctor Robotnik's Ultimate Stabby Knife Fight, the rumor that pretty much never gets brought up, here we go again with the rumor that never dies!

We get to play another round of "will they, won't they" with the Switch Pro

The Switch Pro Rumour is like when movies have 2 bickering characters who refuse to become a couple. All the rumour is missing is a goofy side character to scream “Just kiss already!”

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
The Switch Pro Rumour is like when movies have 2 bickering characters who refuse to become a couple. All the rumour is missing is a goofy side character to scream “Just kiss already!”
Some of them goofy side characters don't even do that, they just grab the back of their heads and ram their faces together, thankfully causing a kiss instead of cranial injury of some sort.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
ungrateful slugs.
Considering how people on the internet drink tears and hate salt, that's not a bad term to be using.

:salt:

Meanwhile:
Sakurai is once again making it clear that character choices aren't up to him, only to make sure they work as Smash characters.
I like how he casually throws Steve under the bus. lol

Shroob

Sup?
Considering how people on the internet drink tears and hate salt, that's not a bad term to be using.

:salt:

I like how he casually throws Steve under the bus. lol
I'm just imagining Sakurai working on Steve like that one famous meme scene from Rugrats.

"Sakurai-san, it's 4 in the morning. Why on Earth are you still coding Steve's block placements?"

"Because I've lost control of my life."

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Meanwhile:
Yet Smash fans always blame him every time their most wanted does not get into Smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I’m not arguing that. I think 2B or Lara are like the next two obvious ones and it just comes down to which character Nintendo and Square want. And honestly if I had to guess I’d say 2B would be the one they chose.

I don’t agree with revisionist history to make something look more favorable to one over the other though when there’s not anything to back up, but instead contradict, the point that was being made.
My post wasn't really aimed at yours, clarifying just in case. Maybe I misunderstood something but I actualy agreed with your previous message, the thing is that while I definitely think Lara could make it as a playable fighter, I still doubt to a certain extent if Nintendo would go with her.

They could, that's obvious, but in my opinion Square has still a few cool and interesting characters that could appeal Nintendo in different ways. Obviously none of them are as recognizable as Lara, an aspect Nintendo surely values, but maybe they also value other factors that the likes of 2B, Geno or Neku could bring to the table.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Meanwhile:
I think sword characters are hella fun and they piss a lot of Smash fans off so good on Nintendo for continuing to suggest them.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Look, if the next Square Enix character added isn't 2B, I'll eat my hat.
I don't think your avatar is wearing a hat, though? :roll:

I think it would be between 2B and Lara. And I would even dare say that 2B is just a tiny bit more likely due to being from SE's japanese side of things and Sakurai having met Yoko Taro for the first time... in 2019, I think.

...Yes, I'm biased, I'm specifically pointing that fact out so no one else has to. :4pacman:

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Aw come on don't tell me the mods believe in the "sakurai secretly hates minecraft" conspiracy.
Of course he hates Minecraft. Why else would he have played countless hours on the game? To have fun?

I'm just imagining Sakurai working on Steve like that one famous meme scene from Rugrats.

"Sakurai-san, it's 4 in the morning. Why on Earth are you still coding Steve's block placements?"

"Because I've lost control of my life."
Sometimes I want to know what part of development he dislikes the most or thinks is the most tedious. I don't think it'd be Steve's blocks/resources, but I can definitely see it coming close. I'd assume Melee's development was the most grueling based on stories, but given how small the game is by comparison now I wouldn't be surprised if that's changed in almost the past twenty years.*

*that's right Melee turns twenty years old this year.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Time to speculate the real stuff:

Is Sakurai going to have a prop/gimmick this time?

So far we've seen an actual Neo Geo, counting in binary, a slinky, and a physical Minecraft pickaxe/sword. Do we get another one, or has the prop energy gone to the wayside?
a life size replica of both aegis swords that he uses to demonstrate the moves himself.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So who do y'all think is more likely tomorrow to get Mii slaughtered?

Lloyd or Monster Hunter?

Betting Lloyd.
I legit cannot decide. On the one hand, Lloyd could be a nod to how Monolith Soft used to be owned by Namco. On the other, Monster Hunter Rise comes out this month.

And what if they throw a curveball and bring back BOTH?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I legit cannot decide. On the one hand, Lloyd could be a nod to how Monolith Soft used to be owned by Namco. On the other, Monster Hunter Rise comes out this month.

And what if they throw a curveball and bring back BOTH?
I'd love if they brought BOTH Lloyd and MonHun. That'd throw speculation for a loop

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So who do y'all think is more likely tomorrow to get Mii slaughtered?

Lloyd or Monster Hunter?

Betting Lloyd.
He’s still one of my top predictions for a newcomer, but I’ll also bet Lloyd. He fits Pyra and Mythra really well. If he is in fact coming back as a Mii, then the costume would almost definitely be revealed tomorrow. I can’t imagine a more fitting character to release his Mii with (except Yuri).

If Lloyd does somehow manage to survive the next wave of Miis, then I’m sure everyone will start locking him in as a strong contender for this pass.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Looking forward to seeing him do Mythra's side B
he'll even be accurate down to the exact frame data,

and for pyra he'll light the sword on fire while he spins around and does acrobatics with it for extra realism.

you know what, he's a stickler for detail so i think he'll do the full cosplay too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom