• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not to mention DP Remakes could easily be their out for new Spirits, 'cause it most likely is gonna have new stuff in it like ORAS did.
I still kinda doubt a Sinnoh rep. Aside from the fact that Smash doesn't usually promote remakes with fighters, especially for DLC, by the time BDSP releases we'd be on CP11. Generally, promotional picks choose to represent games that have actually been out for a good six months to a year before their DLC. The one exception to both of these patterns was Hero, who was added to Smash before DQ11S was released. Even then, other Heroes from across the series came with them, and the pack still represented more series than just DQ11, even if it was the most obvious. Heck, Erdrick even got to land the Final Smash in the trailer.
So yeah. Don't think we'll get a BDSP rep.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Papagenos strikes again.

I'm gonna go ahead and jump the gun a bit;

IF there is a "3 fighter Fighter Pass 3" to fulfill that theory... I'm gonna guess:

Crono is one of em. He's the other dude on that Seven Squares thing that hasn't already been seen in some form (barring Sora who... as we know, is something of a violent conversation concerning whether Disney said no or not). Not the world's BEST reason, but so long as I'm jumping the gun, I'mma go for it.

Decidueye could be one of em too with Pokemon Legends Arceus stage, IF this isn't already being done in pass 2 via "second chance theory".

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think we're getting another Xeno character for DLC regardless. Certainly not this pass, but even with FP3 I'm doubtful. Maybe I'm just being arbitrary, but I don't really see two Monado icons popping up on the DLC Spirit Board. It'd just look rather redundant. Unless, of course, we're now predicting more Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy characters too.
Silly SharkLord, we're ALWAYS predicting more Fire Emblem!

I still kinda doubt a Sinnoh rep. Aside from the fact that Smash doesn't usually promote remakes with fighters, especially for DLC, by the time BDSP releases we'd be on CP11. Generally, promotional picks choose to represent games that have actually been out for a good six months to a year before their DLC. The one exception to both of these patterns was Hero, who was added to Smash before DQ11S was released. Even then, other Heroes from across the series came with them, and the pack still represented more series than just DQ11, even if it was the most obvious. Heck, Erdrick even got to land the Final Smash in the trailer.
So yeah. Don't think we'll get a BDSP rep.
Also, the game had been out for 2 years on Playstation and 3DS before it came to the Switch. Dragon Quest was a really weird case.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Look, if the next Square Enix character added isn't 2B, I'll eat my hat.
I'm gonna go ahead and jump the gun a bit;

IF there is a "3 fighter Fighter Pass 3" to fulfill that theory... I'm gonna guess:

Crono is one of em. He's the other dude on that Seven Squares thing that hasn't already been seen in some form (barring Sora who... as we know, is something of a violent conversation concerning whether Disney said no or not). Not the world's BEST reason, but so long as I'm jumping the gun, I'mma go for it.

Decidueye could be one of em too with Pokemon Legends Arceus stage, IF this isn't already being done in pass 2 via "second chance theory".
not Neku/10

please i need my son 🥺

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, the game had been out for 2 years on Playstation and 3DS before it came to the Switch. Dragon Quest was a really weird case.
Yeah, Hero was pretty weird. Aside from the fact that they sorta broke the "Ports don't get promotion" and "Promotional picks release after their game" patterns but also not really, they were the only character to have multiple characters squeezed into alts at once until Steve came along (Assuming we don't count Byleth's gender alts as separate characters), were part of the only dual reveal in the DLC so far, and their Mii Costume wave is the only one to only have characters from the same series as the fighter.

It's also the only series to have their tracklist consist entirely of horrendous midis

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
At this point, I actually doubt we'll get anything Pokemon.

You'd think that they would keep a "let's celebrate Pokemon" tournament for when we get an actual Pokemon, right?

And that's on top of the Sword/Shield Spirit Event and the Rocket Grunt outfit releasing with Byleth, months after Pass 2's lineup was decided.

You'd think they'd keep at least the latter for a Pokemon wave since they'd absolutely know it's a thing, but they just threw it with the professor instead.

I know hindsight is very strong here, but one can argue a Pokemon rep was deconfirmed before we even knew CP6 would be from ARMS.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Monkey's Paw twists

Your wish has been granted.

The first 16 Mii Fighters in my lvl 9 cpu tournament | Smash Ultimate Amino
This hurts me lol

I still think Dante is one of those characters that either get in as playable characters or nothing at all. Of course, I could be wrong. I never expected costumes for Assassin's Creed or Fallout and here we are, so who knows at this point.

But yeah, I'd take a Dante costume over nothing. Even if it looks like ass.

Before I'd have supported you there, but now I think I'd prefer Neku over 2B, even if it's by a very small difference.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
it's around 5.5mil now, it's square Enixs 3rd best selling game of last gen I believe, only behind DQ11 at 6mil and FFXIVXIVXIXVIXVIXVI (im not good with roman numerals) at around 8million i believe.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'd agree she's next if we're getting another Square dlc character, but if she doesn't come in Ultimate she's probably never coming. At that point the next character would be Lara Croft or another Final Fantasy character.

Yeah, Hero was pretty weird. Aside from the fact that they sorta broke the "Ports don't get promotion" and "Promotional picks release after their game" patterns but also not really, they were the only character to have multiple characters squeezed into alts at once until Steve came along (Assuming we don't count Byleth's gender alts as separate characters), were part of the only dual reveal in the DLC so far, and their Mii Costume wave is the only one to only have characters from the same series as the fighter.

It's also the only series to have their tracklist consist entirely of horrendous midis
While technically true, I don't think there's a need to look past the fact that it's Dragon Quest to justify Hero's inclusion. He would've made sense with or without a Switch Port of DQ11, and even would've made sense if DQ11 didn't exist at all (obviously with a different hero instead of the luminary).

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Alright but Lara is a pretty ****ing big deal. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Lara.
weren't all of her recent games flops?

you don't need good sales to get in to smash but i have to imagine making negative money is pretty big roadblock.

also what's the seven squares list?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
it's around 5.5mil now, it's square Enixs 3rd best selling game of last gen I believe, only behind DQ11 at 6mil and FFXIVXIVXIXVIXVIXVI (im not good with roman numerals) at around 8million i believe.
If it’s only sold 5.5 then it isn’t their 3rd place because Rise of the Tomb Raider has sold at least 7 million and that was recorded in 2017.
weren't all of her recent games flops?

you don't need good sales to get in to smash but i have to imagine making negative money is pretty big roadblock.

also what's the seven squares list?
Uhhhhh no. They weren’t. Not even close.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Regarding Square, I've never seen something that is clearly mostly guesswork been bought into as unilaterally as the Seven Squares list.

You know it comes from a bunch of different sources we'd pay little mind to on their own, right? Being lumped together doesn't make the validity of one bleed into the validity of the others.

The fact that it has lined up to the extent it has is luck. The same stuff we've seen countless times before. Maybe the Luminary info was right. Maybe the Erdrick info was right. But those were two very common claims at the time. There is absolutely no proof Sephiroth was planned that far back, and even if he was, this would be the only instance of him "leaking" in the next two years, making it highly suspect as valid and not a guess. To give validity to the Slime claim is to believe that the source knew a character Sakurai had as a backup plan that never made it to anything close to development. Ridiculous. Listing Geno is obvious because claims for Geno were rampant for the entirety of Ultimate, and he was already in the game as a spirit and missing his costume. Not a big leap, and not even correct info. Sora was also a character thrown around all the time, so making a claim for him is like making a claim for Crash. It's not indicative of knowing about failed plans. Which, btw, if you believe those Sora claims, it kind of conflicts with the Sephiroth claims. And Crono just isn't there, nor will he be, unfortunately.

So the most credence I'd give the Seven Squares list is that the people who said Luminary and Erdrick may have had accurate info. But anything else is being quite generous, and looking to bridge gaps despite the leaps in logic required.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While technically true, I don't think there's a need to look past the fact that it's Dragon Quest to justify Hero's inclusion. He would've made sense with or without a Switch Port of DQ11, and even would've made sense if DQ11 didn't exist at all (obviously with a different hero instead of the luminary).
Yeah, that's why I said sorta. They don't really fit in with the precedent set by pretty much every other character, but the sheer size of Dragon Quest means it was probably a bonus rather than the main draw. Either way, they're the only ones to not fit the pattern, so I'd say they're just and exception rather than an indicator of the norm.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I agree with the overall point but the Rocket Grunt outfits were definitely with Banjo.
.............I genuinely forgot Banjo had any Mii other than Sans

That's my b :lol:

Plus, Banjo's presentation was the one that revealed we'd get more DLC beyond the first Pass, so my point is still rock solid :p

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
In terms of a new Square Rep. If we got FP3 or individual DLC Laura and 2B are likely the front runners. Neku probably being the runner up.

Plus, Banjo's presentation was the one that revealed we'd get more DLC beyond the first Pass, so my point is still rock solid :p
The only reason I remember that specifically is because they were revealed right before Sans lmao.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
If it’s only sold 5.5 then it isn’t their 3rd place because Rise of the Tomb Raider has sold at least 7 million and that was recorded in 2017.

Uhhhhh no. They weren’t. Not even close.

i will say she's fourth in line if SE doesn't abandon their western pursuits, CD and EM are unprofitable and the only studio to really make a hit IOI is now independent for the most part so it's only a matter of time before they get sold or shut down.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Banjo's Mii Costumes:
  1. :nessecho:
  2. :nessecho:
  3. :nessecho:
  4. :nessecho:
  5. :nessecho:

...Also, didn't we get news of post-FP1 DLC with Terry and not Banjo?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Lara will always be held back by the fact that she's a western character who was never particurly a big deal in Japan.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
i mean what other realistic square character are there?

Mana and Bravely are disconfirmed

Chrono hasn't had a game in ages
Neku is still way too niche
none of their western characters are getting in (Maybe lara but that's still not that likely)

SaGa................................ it's not getting in

that really just leaves NieR

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
i will say she's fourth in line if SE doesn't abandon their western pursuits, CD and EM are unprofitable and the only studio to really make a hit IOI is now independent for the most part so it's only a matter of time before they get sold or shut down.
They're unprofitable because they got put on a ****ty Avengers game that didn't know if it wanted to ape the MCU or be it's own thing whilst also being a completely unnecessary game-as-a-service and they're probably having to retool the Guardians of the Galaxy game in response to how Avengers went.

They were fine when they were on Tomb Raider and Deus Ex even if they weren't exactly lighting things up for Square.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ummm, iOi was the only studio that wasn’t profitable. The only flop Eidos and Crystal Dynamics has had in 10 years was Avengers. I’m going to need some citation because I’ve heard nothing but good things regarding CD and EM come from Square with the sole exception being Avengers.

I think it says a lot when Square Enix has considered their 3 pillars to be Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Tomb Raider.

"Whether you're talking about Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or Tomb Raider, these all, internally for us, are really the pillars in terms of franchises,"

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
...Also, didn't we get news of post-FP1 DLC with Terry and not Banjo?
I rechecked this one just to be safe.

It really was on Banjo's, People keep making the confusion because Terry was revealed on a Direct right before the Banjo presentation.

You'd think people would have a more vivid memory of the last mainline Direct we ever had until the one two weeks ago :4pacman:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, and gals, I already showed some people here via PM, but I wish to show the rest of you all this moveset idea for a Smash Bros. character I made up if that's okay. Wanna see it?

Shroob

Sup?

It really was on Banjo's, People keep making the confusion because Terry was revealed on a Direct right before the Banjo presentation.

You'd think people would have a more vivid memory of the last mainline Direct we ever had until the one two weeks ago :4pacman:
Yep, can confirm that it was announced in the same Direct as Terry, but before Banjo launched.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I would like MH fighter concept as you can choose 3 sets of weapons and has access to those as your smash/special attacks:
1) Light: Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Long Sword, Light Bowgun
2) Middle: Bow, Charge Blade, Hunting horn, Switch Axe, Insect Glave
3) Heavy: Great Sword, Hammer, Lance, Gunlance, Heavybowgun

Therefore you would get all MH Rise weapons. Depending on the type you choose, MH fighter statistics like speed and weight will change. Yeah I know, it would be a fighter with 3 different movesets but well we are in the endgame.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yep, can confirm that it was announced in the same Direct as Terry, but before Banjo launched.
Everything blurs together and I can't make sense of anything anymore. Was Joker even the first DLC? How do I know Min Min wasn't base game? It was so long ago...
Rowlet.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom