• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Circa 2022. Fighter’s Pass 3 is in full swing, Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition releases soon, all new Smash Trailer cuts in, Elma, queue Smash fanbases “another ****ing Xenoblade character” while I enjoy it and laugh in Tom Cruise.
Quoting again to say

what if Sakurai was seriously like “yeah after Byleth were definitely not adding any more FE characters... we’re adding more Xenoblade characters instead! :secretkpop:

I would unironically be okay with that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok maybe this isn’t exactly the same thing but if Kasumi got in over Ryu Hayabusa I’mma say that’s a slap in the face for me.
I don't personally find any of these "slap in the faces" myself, but I get what you mean.

At least Kasumi is a notable character, so it's somewhat less painful, but still.

But keep in mind I speak from a developer's perspective too. I definitely wasn't happy with Min Min over Spring Man myself, but I completely understand the situation. Yazuki asked Nintendo to add Min Min, Nintendo suggested Min Min to Sakurai(who already liked the idea of Min Min or Ninjara as playable), and the rest is history. Sometimes it's as simple as that. Another example is PP, who was added in just cause Sakurai wanted a non-protagonist, and chose an iconic Mook as a character. You got an iconic Mook or no one. A fun new DLC option that could justify an early purchase of the game for a bonus character. Simple.

As I work on fighting games myself, including crossovers, I have to carefully choose alts/references/etc. and look at tons of things. Trending times, some bias mixed in, etc. The big one I'm still figuring out the cast for is an N64 Fighter where every character must have appeared fully in an N64 game(or is a special guest), and they must have originated from a video game or specifically be created as a video game OC(even if based upon another character). These guidelines, much like Sakurai has, help have a fun and unique roster and helps overall remove ideas so you have a smaller set of overall options to work with. You can only do so much, so it's a necessity, after all. It'd be great if you could throw anyone and anything in, but... that's unrealistic. This ain't M.U.G.E.N.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Looking over these past few arguments has left me incredibly confused as to what the overall point of them is. Is it that getting someone like Felix would be a slap in the face to the people who really wanted Issac?

Also, I think I may be the only one here who wants Zangetsu more than Miriam lmao. I just like Katana men. Especially since it means more of David Hayter’s gruff voice.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I can think of a few scenarios where I'd be disappointed with characters from the same series as my MWs. It's just that most of them are really unlikely. I can't see how in the name of **** they would choose someone other than Sora for KH or someone other than Crash Bandicoot for, y'know, Crash Bandicoot.

But, say, Ringo over Arle; Shun'ei over Kyo or Apollo over Phoenix would definitely generate some disappointment from me. And yeah, I know at the end of the day, it's just silly platform fighter, but a good part of the appeal of characters in a fighting game - especially a crossover fighter like Smash - is, well, the characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Looking over these past few arguments has left me incredibly confused as to what the overall point of them is. Is it that getting someone like Felix would be a slap in the face to the people who really wanted Issac?

Also, I think I may be the only one here who wants Zangetsu more than Miriam lmao. I just like Katana men. Especially since it means more of David Hayter’s gruff voice.
Well, yes. That's the point. "Somebody else similar" is not enough. They want a specific character. This is why a Mii costume is somewhat more accepted since it's still that particular character, or at least their skin. But it's nowhere near the same as the actual character being played as.

Like, it doesn't bother me that much as other fans, but as I explained above, I have a different view of things. Doesn't really change that it's nowhere near the same thing, nor is there a good reason to treat it as "good enough". It sucks, but it's better to look at it as possibly better than nothing. That said, if they'd rather have nothing? That's fair too. That's up to them as a fan of how they want a character represented. That doesn't justify certain kinds of overreactions/etc. of course, but a feeling is not the same thing as replying poorly.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Imagine the peak irony if Hayabusa got Mii’d though...

ngl I’d find it a bit funny. All those rumors saying Hayabusa for Smash... but neglected to mention he was a Mii. 😈
Yes I crave chaos what of it?
Looking forward to that Reimu Gunner costume!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I disagree, but whatever deconfirms her as a Fighter!
Sakurai: "Reimu's out of Smash because I really ****ing liked Luna Nights, enjoy Sakuya Izayoi as FP10"
Europe master race wins as usual.
As a European capitalism prevents me from catching it live. Work hours are nuts, I remember getting real antsy about this **** when I was gonna miss out on Terry's for the same reason lmao

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
A slap in the face for me isnt getting a charcter I dont want, a slap in the fsce for me is framing a trsiler like we are getting Layton but it turns out to be luke insted.... Which now that I think about it, wouldnt be so bad.

Nevermind

7NATOR

Smash Master
At work, so tl;dw?
I second this; also at work. Somebody give the abridged version please.
-More Talk about Concert leak, goes into why the "Atttack" track for Roy can make sense
-Papa talks about his 4 in one Monster Hunter moveset concept, the potential complications, and their solutions. He suggests Monster Hunter can bring back Custom Moves, like how Pyra/Mythra brought back Zelda/Shiek Concept, or how Steve brought back gliding
-Talks about the 3 character slots that match up to 3 Stage slots, with Mythra being counted as Seperate character. talks about potential Pass 3 with 3 characters
-Talks about Decidueye potentially having a second chance, since He will be the final evolution of one of the starters (again) in Legend of Arceus. Does talk about the Recent Pokemon tournament and what that means for Pokemon charcater
-Talks about what we could see in the Presentation tomorrow. Potential Mii costumes (regular and deluxe), Pyra/Mythra getting their own Fighter spirits, and mentions the update notice. Predicts that they will come after presentation
-Talks about how the "Sakurai parents are Yoshi" post was a rough translation. what it actually said was that Sakurai was talking about how he obtained Mew organically and legit, as the only way to obtain Mew at the time (as he was Super rare) were to go to these Nintendo Sanction Pc things. The ID's of the Mew are Nintendo character based, and Sakurai's was Yoshi

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
form e it would be like getting anemone insead of 2B
or karol instead of Yuri

it's not the worst but also, why not go for the better character?
and they wouldn't represent their series that well.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
form e it would be like getting anemone insead of 2B
or karol instead of Yuri

it's not the worst but also, why not go for the better character?
and they wouldn't represent their series that well.
Nier Automata Route B onwards spoilers!

I mean you could make the argument that 9S is the real main character of Nier Automata... I don't agree but there is a solid argument.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, it's a club then?
1614806138953.png
1614806169379.png

Sorta? It's a weapon, alright, but it's not really heavy and it doesn't have a thick end. If we're going into semantics, the ground fighters actually have more spins and thrusts than whacking, so calling it the "whacky stick" might not be entirely accurate. Though, she does have more swings in the air fighters, so I guess it depends on the interpretation you're looking at.

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 305735View attachment 305736
Sorta? It's a weapon, alright, but it's not really heavy and it doesn't have a thick end. If we're going into semantics, the ground fighters actually have more spins and thrusts than whacking, so calling it the "whacky stick" might not be entirely accurate. Though, she does have more swings in the air fighters, so I guess it depends on the interpretation you're looking at.
Don't worry about it. It's an old inside joke. :4pacman:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Ok maybe this isn’t exactly the same thing but if Kasumi got in over Ryu Hayabusa I’mma say that’s a slap in the face for me.
Yeah I'd say it's pretty different considering Kasumi is more of guest character in Ninja Gaiden. The girl for Ninja Gaiden is Momiji isn't it?

If he ever comes back or is hired by Konami to make a new Castlevania, I want him to make Castlevania 1999. It's kinda crazy that such an important key event as Dracula being finally defeated for real doesn't have a game about those events. Playing as Julius Belmont in his prime sounds really cool as well.

And I'd prefer Alucard but yeah Miriam would be great. I love her design. There's a good amount of fantastic fan art about her:

Miriam looks great when she's not wearing all sorts of ugly hats in Bloodstained, though I'd still prefer Alucard and Soma over her personally.

Whacky stick is definitely more accurate than club at least.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
As a European capitalism prevents me from catching it live. Work hours are nuts, I remember getting real antsy about this **** when I was gonna miss out on Terry's for the same reason lmao
Oof, I feel ya. That's what happened to me with Byleth's.

Luckily, tomorrow's starts perfectly for me personally.

Yeah, that much I can gather. Something about Villager's stick.

That being said, comedy is achieved by responding to silly little jokes with long, in-depth explanations on the topic that the joke revolves around, contrasting the short, jokey prompt with extreme detail :4pacman:
Well, if she speaks softly and carries a big stick (kinda)...

Damnit I was so tempted to make a Teddy Roosevelt joke - but that would feel like such a big stretch no matter what, to the point where one could go hiking with that stretch. Bully for me I suppose.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Damnit I was so tempted to make a Teddy Roosevelt joke - but that would feel like such a big stretch no matter what, to the point where one could go hiking with that stretch. Bully for me I suppose.
Well...
NeedlessKilling.png

...it depends on your definition of speaking softly

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Based on how long it is in that picture, it could be called a staff, since it’s long enough to be used two-handed (even if she doesn’t actually do that; IDK, I haven’t seen any of the fighting games. Palutena often swings her staff one-handed as well, for comparison.)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oof, I feel ya. That's what happened to me with Byleth's.

Luckily, tomorrow's starts perfectly for me personally.

I was able to catch that live but I wasn't able to watch it with friends because I ended up vomiting blood. It's my headcanon that I, the FE fan who likes goth ****, did that as a ritual to bring 3H content lmao
Well...
View attachment 305738
...it depends on your definition of speaking softly
Speaking softly is like ASMR. Speaking of ASMR, our next character is on my favourite ASMR video.

LET HIM IN!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
They should just do a Castlevania and Bloodstained crossover game.
I've been tempted to do that in MUGEN, though Bloodstained has considerably more playable characters if we're just counting the NES Castlevanias. (I could throw Dracula in there to make it more even, though it would still be 6 against 7 unless I make Castlevania 2 Simon a separate character)

Also, if Dante gets in, I hope they bring Bayonetta's taunts back to their Smash 4 length and/or give the option for Dante to do this, unlikely as either of those might be:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I mean, the act of speaking in a low voice and threatening someone's life aren't really mutually exclusive.

...Remind me why we're discussing this, again?
Because Sakurai's gonna do that tomorrow. "Listen you little ****s this isn't some generic anime sword fighter it's from hentai, an art!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom