• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
Translation:

what could he mean...?

see you guys next week I guess
"Kept you waiting"...?

Coincidence??

...yeah probably, but I would still like to believe.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If the Rex costume was publicly released, that would confirm the existence of an FP3, because it would be weird if they didn't do the same for the Ancient Soldier costume.
Wha...? How would moving a costume over to another Mii wave confirm Vol. 3? And why would it also suddenly prompt Sakurai to do the same?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Wha...? How would moving a costume over to another Mii wave confirm Vol. 3? And why would it also suddenly prompt Sakurai to do the same?
I can't see them publicly releasing the Rex costume without them doing the same for the Ancient Soldier costume.

Shroob

Sup?
I can't see them publicly releasing the Rex costume without them doing the same for the Ancient Soldier costume.
I mean, they can do that without a Zelda character.

Because here's the thing, so far, both our DLC waves have come with a bonus costume, and let's assume that we get a 3rd wave, and they, once again, toss in another costume in that wave.

Does that mean that we'd be guaranteed a 4th wave? No.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why, though? Neither of them have anything to do with each other in terms of circumstance.
Both are DLC costumes that so far have only been released as a bunble deal with the Fighter Pass and have not yet been released individually.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean, they can do that without a Zelda character.

Because here's the thing, so far, both our DLC waves have come with a bonus costume, and let's assume that we get a 3rd wave, and they, once again, toss in another costume in that wave.

Does that mean that we'd be guaranteed a 4th wave? No.
Officer Howard Mii Costume as a bonus of Pass 3. Calling it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
you got to wonder if either square or namco is kicking their past selve's over xeno

it would have been another esteemed JRPG franchise to add to Squares Portfolio

and for Namco it would've become their biggest JRPG series in the modern era, eclipsing tales at the height of it's popularity.
For what it's worth, the reason Monolith Soft left Namco and joined Nintendo was because they felt Namco was limiting their creative freedom, something Nintendo was MORE than willing to give them.

And people wonder why I want Nintendo to buy Xenosaga. Feels like that one was done dirty...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Officer Howard Mii Costume as a bonus of Pass 3. Calling it.
TBH I could see Nintendo pushing for a full playable Astral Chain character if we got FP3, so I don't think so.

It's kinda funny how far a lot more low key FP2's bonus outfit was in comparison to FP1's. I like to imagine that Nintendo/Sakurai probably saw the negative fan backlash to Rex getting Mii'd like that so they consciously chose something more isoteric like the Ancient Soldier Gear outfit so people wouldn't be upset over it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
TBH I could see Nintendo pushing for a full playable Astral Chain character if we got FP3, so I don't think so.

It's kinda funny how far a lot more low key FP2's bonus outfit was in comparison to FP1's. I like to imagine that Nintendo/Sakurai probably saw the negative fan backlash to Rex getting Mii'd like that so they consciously chose something more isoteric like the Ancient Soldier Gear outfit so people wouldn't be upset over it.
There's also the fact that XC2 would've been in consideration had it released a bit sooner. From the looks of it, there aren't any equivalents to that for the DLC, so there isn't a popular, major character left to be used for a bonus Mii.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I know it's not being taken seriously, but this "Kept you waiting" thing is how Sakurai's words have been misconstrued in the past to mean something when it's nothing lol
"お待たせ" is just a canned phrase in Japanese that's used with the same regularity as English people say "See you around."

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
you got to wonder if either square or namco is kicking their past selve's over xeno

it would have been another esteemed JRPG franchise to add to Squares Portfolio

and for Namco it would've become their biggest JRPG series in the modern era, eclipsing tales at the height of it's popularity.
Probably not, considering Monolith's recent successes have required a lot of investment and support from Nintendo. They basically taught Monolith Soft how to actually make games, like making them start with a vertical slice of XB1 instead of dumping tons of story on them. Square and Namco didn't see it as worthwhile keeping them, and they were right - without a lot of support they wouldn't have improved.

I know people like to toot Monolith Soft's horn, but they benefitted a lot from Nintendo's support. Nintendo would still be alive without Monolith Soft but vice-versa? Maybe not.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Y'know, I haven't actually seen any people around here who actually think those words are hinting at any crazy new reveal or secret. The most conclusions I've seen drawn are just "He's apologizing for not having the presentation instantly," and that's just an explanation of what he means.
It’s the pecking Smash fandom, what did you expect?

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, the reason Monolith Soft left Namco and joined Nintendo was because they felt Namco was limiting their creative freedom, something Nintendo was MORE than willing to give them.

And people wonder why I want Nintendo to buy Xenosaga. Feels like that one was done dirty...
I know, im just imagining what that AU would be like.

D

Deleted member

We have over a week until P/M get showcased. Neat.

I definitely understand most people's thoughts on the Mii Costume lineup segment being the most nail-biting part of the entire Presentation. Publishers more often than not have the say in what Mii Costumes get added alongside their character, and since we're getting another Nintendo character, they're very unpredictable when it comes to their Mii Costume selections given the Mii Costume lineups for the previous 1st Party DLC characters. Even I'm pretty on edge as to who Nintendo chose to put into Smash through a Mii Costume because of the possible implications it has to the final 2 characters in Vol 2.

With that said, I'm honestly more interested in the Mii Costume selection this time around than the characters being presented. Personally, I'm not really all that excited about Pyra and Mythra since I much prefer DLC to have characters from a series/entry that hasn't been in Smash before, but I'm somewhat glad it was them and not Rex since I wasn't interested in characters with Mii Costumes becoming playable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All this Monolith Soft talk, and no XB2 yet in my mailbox.

Did love XB1 DE though. Great game. Never played the original, so I had a blast.

Which game is better according to you guys / girls / persons ?

I.D.

Smash Lord
Probably not, considering Monolith's recent successes have required a lot of investment and support from Nintendo. They basically taught Monolith Soft how to actually make games, like making them start with a vertical slice of XB1 instead of dumping tons of story on them. Square and Namco didn't see it as worthwhile keeping them, and they were right - without a lot of support they wouldn't have improved.

I know people like to toot Monolith Soft's horn, but they benefitted a lot from Nintendo's support. Nintendo would still be alive without Monolith Soft but not vice-versa? Maybe not.
Nah. Almost every bad decision that doomed Xenosaga back in episode 2 can be directly traced back to Namco's mismanagement and dumb ideas. The "taught them how to make games" is also a pretty lol notion considering Xenogears and Xenosaga started out as million sellers while it took Xenoblade until Xenoblade 2 to become one. Not going to deny they have improved under Nintendo but even then you are exaggerating how much they invested into Xenoblade 1, considering they initially didn't even want to localize the game to America.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Out of curiosity, which blade do you guys think you’ll pick up? I’ve always preferred heavy-hitting characters like Dr. Mario and so on, so by the looks of it, I think I might easily be able to pick up Pyra.
Same here. I've found that I like hard-hitting characters like Terry, Byleth, and Sephiroth. Plus, her specials just look cooler; Mythra's projectile moves are nice, but she has two spam attack specials that feel like they're going a little too overboard. Pyra's specials are simpler and more direct, and that appeals to me more.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am quite sure that Mythra is gonna carry them both. She seems the most combo and speed orientated, and that's always a big plus.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Reactions to as many fighters as I remember actually having some kind of reaction to:
:4ryu::4feroy:: (saw when they were leaked, i remember nothing about my actual reaction)
:4cloud:: cool
:ultsnake: (Everyone is here!): I'M GETTING A SWITCH FOR THIS!
:ultdaisy:: ok then
:ultridley:: Woah, I thought he was too big!
:ultsimon:: The leaks were true! And he's in his good design!
:ultrichter:: who?
:ultchrom::ultdarksamus:: Huh, that's neat. Why does Chrom look so crappy? (was spoiled by YouTube notifications of their showcase videos, because I watched it 2 days late)
:ultkrool:: WHAT A BANGER OF A THEME
:ultisabelle:: The leaks are true once again.
:ultken::ultincineroar:: I really thought the Grinch leak would be real
:ultpiranha:: excuse me?
:ultjoker:: (was too tired to properly react)
:ulthero:: Erdrick? Seriously? (I was reading the stream chat and missed the trailer)
:ultbanjokazooie:: Audible excitement inside of a museum bathroom
:ult_terry:: cool
:ultbyleth:: (sees glowing orange sword) WHAT IN THE WORLD, KYLO RE- nope, just "someone stupid" like my sister thought
(insert FP2 post here)

Sysreq

Smash Ace

Did love XB1 DE though. Great game. Never played the original, so I had a blast.

You're going to get very varied opinions on this lol The funny thing is, there used to be pages of toxic arguing regarding it but now that Pyra and Mythra got in, it's calmed down.
In regards to your question though, I've only played 2 and I loved it though I am interested in 1 because it's also been highly praised.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman

I like XC2 more, though XC1 is a fantastic game.
I mean, The tweet say no new fighters. This included this
Not that I’m expecting it to happen, but technically saying there are more fighters is not announcing a new fighter

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I just hope your question doesn't spark a war discussion as always lol.

If you ask me

Story: Xenoblade 1
Combat: Xenoblade 2
Music: Xenoblade 2
Characters: Xenoblade 2
Setting: Xenoblade 1

Story is better paced on the first game. I'd say it has a more epic tone. 2 is more emotive, or at least that's how I felt. The thing is, the peak points of XC2's story were more interesting and better for me than the big moments of 1. Probably because I was more invested in the characters of 2.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I haven't played 2, but from what I've heard, XC1 is consistently pretty good, while XC2 has ups and downs that vary from "Awesome!" to "Eh..." I've seen the combat system in particular get a lot of praise, but the tutorials are considered really bad and you're better off just looking up a guide on YouTube or something. At the very least, I know that there's a shift in focus regarding the combat; XC2 dials down the movement in favor of long combo chains and reactions. At least, that's how I think it goes.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Actually a lot of people like and care about Steve too, with some like me hoping he and Alex would've been the main characters in the Minecraft movie and wanting Mojang to expand more on their characters (although since they want to leave the lore mostly up to the players with just some hints and the stuff in Dungeons, maybe it's the same way for Steve and Alex, idk).

He and Alex also get a lot of fan art and other fanmade stuff.

I'm not 100% sure how to explain why we care about them; I think because we like their designs, plus our interpretations of them based on Minecraft's world and what you do in it, with people thinking different things about them. Of course one of the reasons is how they're the mascots for our favorite game, but a lot of Minecraft fans do care about them even if there are others who don't. I guess similar to how you get attached to a toy of no specific brand as a child, and give it its own personality.

Mojang themselves seem inconsistent on the two characters; in one of the "How We Make Minecraft" videos the narrator did say they are just avatars, however there are posts referring to them by name and other official posts etc. treating them as actual characters, so maybe Mojang themselves has varied opinions on them idk.
the reaction to steve reminds me of the reaction to Bayonetta. people really project their personal feelings on the character and ignore the fans and supporters that these characters have and had upon inclusion. Anyone saying steve isn't a popular character is either delusional or just plain ignorant. there is no other option.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I'd Say 1 and 2 are about Equal, but I'd give 2 the slight edge because it has Torna the golden country, which is a fantastic expansion.

Although I have not completed Xenoblade DE yet that includes Future Connected so I am slightly behind. I have completed the 3DS version of Xenoblade though

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looks at the banner behind Sakurai

Ah yes, Pyra and Mythra are my favorite Final Fantasy characters.
It's a Fine Xenoblade 2.

Y'know, I haven't actually seen any people around here who actually think those words are hinting at any crazy new reveal or secret.
I mean, they made it clear he wasn't going to reveal another character.

He's just going to announce Fighter Pass 3. And also the Echo Pass.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I’m happy a majority of us are chill wanters, and there’s hardly any demanders.
I'm super late on this, but I was catching up with the thread and thought it would be interesting.

I would probably say I'm between the neutralist and chill wanter right now. I had four characters I really wanted for Ultimate, picking up one along the way. I managed to get three of them in the forms of Ridley, Eight, and Byleth, while one of them, Lycanroc, is basically dead. So, aside from hoping I get my final pick, Bandana Waddle Dee, I'm more or less down for anything at this point.

The only character I'm not too big on right now is a Sony character, but that has more to do with the inconsistent application of their guidelines regarding sex and violence and the effect it has had on small and Japanese devs than dislike of any one character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom