• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
In light of the announcement of the Sakurai presents date...
Man I'm already seeing people on Twitter reacting to the new Bravely Default spirit event with just "oop I guess that's deconfirmed" or "BD dead"

It's hard to get excited for these cool events when everyone treats them like a death knell and only cares about the "deconfirmation" that I swear you'd think people just don't want spirit events anymore.
^^^ This but for Mii costumes

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd argue that this is still not liking his character (again, because he isn't a character which isn't exactly the same thing as lacking personality), so much as it it's liking the idea of something so ridiculous in Smash. There are other blank slate avatar characters in Smash like Villager and even Inkling, but Steve is unique in that his game doesn't even have some basic plot or other actual characters surrounding him to give context to his goals or motivations. You are a dude. You mine. You craft. Then you mine and craft some more.
To be fair, there is the Nether, Wither, villages, End + Ender Dragon, abandoned structures, etc. Exploration is a good part of the game too. You can infer stuff or make a good assumption for at least some of Steve's characteristics, goals and possible background, even if it's ultimately the player's decision as to what they're going to do and how they want to connect/think about the world's stuff if they even care enough about that kinda thing.

Since Alex is also there in official media, you could assume they're people who met each other one day and started surviving together after becoming friends. Perhaps they're the last humans alive, at least to their knowledge, and they learn about these other worlds, help the villagers, defeat the Ender Dragon to free the Endermen (as the "Free the End" advancement implies), etc.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Since I have work, I guess tag me if there’s the following:
  • Hollow Knight PreMiium Swordfighter w/Sealed Vessel Remix
  • Mecha-Fiora Mii swordfighter
  • Elma survives (no Mii or X content whatsoever, no alt palettes based on Elma)
  • KOS-MOS survives (no Mii of her, not on Spirit Board, no palettes based on KOS-MOS or T-elos)
  • Optional but doubtful - “More fighters now in development!”

Pillow

Smash Lord
In light of the announcement of the Sakurai presents date...

^^^ This but for Mii costumes
People were absolutely excited for the 4 full mii costumes. They were treated as miracles not death knells for those characters.

To be fair, there is the Nether, Wither, villages, End + Ender Dragon, abandoned structures, etc. Exploration is a good part of the game too. You can infer stuff or make a good assumption for at least some of Steve's characteristics, goals and possible background, even if it's ultimately the player's decision as to what they're going to do and how they want to connect/think about the world's stuff if they even care enough about that kinda thing.
That’s fair, but the fact that it’s completely player driven is the big difference maker to me. At least villager is prompted by his animal neighbors to do this and that. All of Steve’s potential background and motivations are crafted by the player not the game developers.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That’s fair, but the fact that it’s completely player driven is the big difference maker to me. At least villager is prompted by his animal neighbors to do this and that. All of Steve’s potential background and motivations are crafted by the player not the game developers.
Yeah, that's fair. The devs have implied (well, I guess they basically said so) there is lore to the game, but they do ultimately just want to leave it to the players to think of, just with some hints like the upcoming archaeology stuff.

I really hope they use Steve and Alex more and expand on them at some point, though, but I guess the important thing is that they're there at all at least. It sure is confusing how they seem to go from "they're your avatars! (who have their own name and unique appearance already so they don't feel like you)" to their own characters though, with them being the mascots and even being given a bit of personality in official media posts (like on Instagram, in trailers, and some news stuff that treated them as the stars), not to mention the toys and costumes and stuff...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ever since I started posting here, I've noticed there's a different air surrounding the Mii Costumes. I used to go "Oh, cool," but starting with Min Min I instead went "Oh boy, who's gonna die this time." I guess the speculation style around here is infectious.

Unrelated, but remember when we dug around and got those notifications for Sephiroth's stuff before the presentation? The one with only two extras, which turned out to be because he was releasing early with the challenge? Anyone know how to find those for Pyra and Mythra?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm still predicting the next new spirits to be the main characters from Bravely Default 2.
I called it!

Since this is the smash fanbase, I'm now a leaker!

And my next leak is that the wave 9 mii costumes will not have Monster Hunter or Lloyd costumes, Crash, and Hayabusa are costumes, Bubsy spirit event in May, and Pluto is a planet again!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sakurai when he hears requests for swimsuit or towel alts:
Instead of guessing, I'd ask myself:

"Buff Isabelle, multiple 'she took the kids' videos, a lot of close-ups on Daisy, Palutena and WFT's faces during shieldstun, a thing called 'Alabama Brothers' and this is what forces Sakurai to shut down Shared Content!?"

:4pacman:

kylexv

Smash Master

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Since others have done it, what the hell? I’ll give my 2 cents on each fighter revealed for Ultimate (since it’s my first Smash game):

:ultinkling:: Because of a video by Arlo, when the first trailer for the game came out, I knew immediately what to expect when the characters were doing their thing. That being said, I have no complaints whatsoever with them being in the game, and am totally cool with it.

:ultdaisy:: It’s fine, nothing more I can say.

:ultridley:: I was still trying to mentally process that my first Smash game would be bringing back every fighter from previous entries......and then he was revealed. I was genuinely excited to see him added, and it was then that I realized how big of a deal this game was going to be.

:ultsimon::ultrichter:: I expected a NES-era addition after what people had told me about Sm4sh. And while the leak did spoil it, Richter wasn’t if nothing else. Another one like Inkling, where I have no issue with it at all (Richter being easy on the eyes certainly helps.)

:ultchrom:: Hadn’t played a Fire Emblem game at the time, so it was just Eh to me.

:ultdarksamus:: Didn’t seeing this one coming, and was happy for Metroid fans getting two characters in this game.

:ultkrool:: Going into that August ‘18 presentation, I was of the mindset that Ridley was going to be the only “was added because he was a character people really, really, REALLY wanted” pick. So, when it was wrapping up and the stomping sound played, like everybody else, I was excited that we were getting another reveal. When it showed all the familiar Nintendo protagonists and their respective rivals/villains, no particular character crossed my mind. But when it cut to Donkey Kong yawning, the exact remark to leave my mouth was, “You’ve got to be ****ing kidding.” And the rest is history.....

:ultisabelle:: Not excited, but didn’t hate it either.

:ultken:: With him being from a fighting game, it was a pick that made sense, and for a moment, it had me thinking the Grinch leak might have some legitimacy.

:ultincineroar:: And then this reveal had me thinking otherwise. I thought that if a Gen 7 Pokémon was going to be added, it’d be Decidueye, but given that Incineroar is a wrestler, I was totally on board with the choice.

:ultpiranha:: Certainly not the Mario rep I was expecting, but it was good for a laugh.

:ultjoker:: A close friend of mine has kept in the know about JRPGs over the past few years, so when the trailer started, I had no trouble figuring out who he was and thought it was an announcement of a P5 port. Then he turned the envelope over, and soon it was all me and him could talk about. Of Pass 1, it’s probably my favorite reveal trailer.

:ulthero:: The fact that the Smash rumor mill had discussed the idea of a DQ rep making it in for months on end took some of the excitement out of the reveal. But, it was only some. That same friend had told me before how Dragon Quest is the ultimate JRPG series, and that many others owed a great debt to it, so no issues whatsoever with this pick.

:ultbanjokazooie:: When the trailer began, I thought another villain was being added. When it showed K Rool hanging out with the Kongs, I thought it was going to be Dixie. When the jiggy bounced across the floor, I finally put 2 & 2 together. It was so cool to see them being added to the roster given their history with Nintendo and especially after learning that the two were considered for Melee but dropped because of Microsoft buying Rare. Plan to git gud with them.

:ult_terry:: Like Ken, I’m totally cool with characters from fighting games getting added, and if I’m being 100% honest, Terry is the winner of my “Character I want to play but am too much of a smooth brain for” award.

:ultbyleth:: Even though I was playing and enjoying their game at the time of their reveal, I was very underwhelmed with this pick. I’m just glad that the 2nd pass was mentioned before the announcement of Byleth. But as of now, I’m just whatever about them.

:ultminmin: Same stance as Ken and Terry.

:ultsteve:: He gave us a new genre, has a lot of cool things that can be done, and his announcement broke Twitter; I don’t have much interest in playing him, as I have no attachment to Minecraft, but was a great addition overall.

:ultsephiroth:: Big fan of FF7, but admittedly wasn’t on my personal radar, so I was pretty stoked for this one. It’s nice having a villain that isn’t a heavyweight (as I feel that’s been done to death), and is just a solid character to me, not to mention that it’s nice to see FF get more content in the game. Like B-K, plan to git gud with him as well.

As for Pyra/Mythra, even though I had played the first XC game and have the second game, I was still underwhelmed by the reveal, but maybe the presentation and eventual release will have me reconsidering my stance, who knows?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Looks at the banner behind Sakurai

Ah yes, Pyra and Mythra are my favorite Final Fantasy characters.
The poor op

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'd argue that this is still not liking his character (again, because he isn't a character which isn't exactly the same thing as lacking personality), so much as it it's liking the idea of something so ridiculous in Smash. There are other blank slate avatar characters in Smash like Villager and even Inkling, but Steve is unique in that his game doesn't even have some basic plot or other actual characters surrounding him to give context to his goals or motivations. You are a dude. You mine. You craft. Then you mine and craft some more.
And that’s just scratching the surface if you have mods installed! You can become a wizard, build power plants and factories, hunt down giant monsters other than the Ender Dragon, go to Heaven and other such realms, survive zombie apocalypses... Hell, you could do all that at once if you so desire! Most avatars can usually be whoever the game lets you make them. Steve and co. literally let you make them be whatever you damn well please.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't be surprised if one of the Mii Costume Slots is wasted by Universally Releasing the Rex Mii Costume.

Firox

Smash Master
I don't get it. Where does the "Pyra/Mythra are from FF" meme come from? Is it just a jab at the fact that they are of similar anime-ish aesthetics?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't get it. Where does the "Pyra/Mythra are from FF" meme come from? Is it just a jab at the fact that they are of similar anime-ish aesthetics?
It’s because the person editing the above tweet left the Final Fantasy 7 logo in the banner.
Naturally people noticed and had a field day.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Someone who made that "shared content will be removed after Pyra/Mythra release" joke pic in an above tweet forgot to edit out the "Final Fantasy" text in the background.

Firox

Smash Master
It’s because the person editing the above tweet left the Final Fantasy 7 logo in the banner.
Naturally people noticed and had a field day.
Someone who made that "shared content will be removed after Pyra/Mythra release" joke pic in an above tweet forgot to edit out the "Final Fantasy" text in the background.
Ah. lol Nothing escapes the careful eye of the Smash fans.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't be surprised if one of the Mii Costume Slots is wasted by Universally Releasing the Rex Mii Costume.
I never thought of that. I could see the Rex mii costume being universally available now instead of just being locked behind Vol 1 bundle.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Translation:

what could he mean...?

see you guys next week I guess
"Sorry to keep you waitin" is said twice in Kid Icarus Uprising (if I'm not mistaken).

One of them is right at the begining of the game, by Pit.

The second is by Hades, during his glorious introduction where he rips apart the fake credits.

Hades confirmed, people.

If Zargreus gets Mii'ed then I'll pretend this was an hint for that.

I.D.

Smash Lord
"Sorry to keep you waitin" is said twice in Kid Icarus Uprising (if I'm not mistaken).

One of them is right at the begining of the game, by Pit.

The second is by Hades, during his glorious introduction where he rips apart the fake credits.

Hades confirmed, people.

If Zargreus gets Mii'ed then I'll pretend this was an hint for that.
It is also said by Dunban
And probably by every videogame character who has ever made someone wait

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've come to accept that Lloyd probably isn't happening. Oh well.

The nice thing is that I play so many different kinds of games that I'm down for almost any newcomer.

Bring on the sword girls!

But don't handle a man's turtle.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I just want to know the Aegis gals’ alternate costumes most of all. Bring on the references!
I'm gonna guess it'll be other blades, especially the ones in the main party. Something like black and white, blue and purple, green and purple, black and purple. There's a lot of purple on the main party blades... Also definitely 100% a KOS-MOS color.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna guess it'll be other blades, especially the ones in the main party. Something like black and white, blue and purple, green and purple, black and purple. There's a lot of purple on the main party blades... Also definitely 100% a KOS-MOS color.
As someone who has never played XC2 but almost exclusively uses purple alts in Smash, this news pleases me.

Fun fact, the only newcomers without even a vaguely purple alt are Terry, Byleth, Min Min, and Steve. That gap between B&K and Sephiroth was nerve-racking...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Given that they're a duo, I don't think it's out of the question to expect one of them to have alts based off the Drivers instead while the other gets the Blades. Probably Pyra, given that she seems to be the "main" fighter.

I.D.

Smash Lord
We all know who's the best pair in the game anyway

1614099243523.jpg

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
As someone who has never played XC2 but almost exclusively uses purple alts in Smash, this news pleases me.

Fun fact, the only newcomers without even a vaguely purple alt are Terry, Byleth, Min Min, and Steve. That gap between B&K and Sephiroth was nerve-racking...
Daisy’s purple alt is top tier and purple in general is just great, so I support the agenda of having more purple warriors in the game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that's happening unless they also add a new Zelda character.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Daisy’s purple alt is top tier and purple in general is just great, so I support the agenda of having more purple warriors in the game.
Well you're in luck, because my Uncle's friend's neighbor's dentist's sister who works at Nintendo just let me know that these are the last 2 DLC fighters!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I don't think that's happening unless they also add a new Zelda character.
No correlation.jpg
Rex's costume was added to Vol. 1 during the base game days. That Ancient Soldier costume was added when Vol. 2's fighters were not only decided on, but were being worked on.

So yeah, Rex's costume is perfect to recycle into the Mii Costume wave for CP9.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
View attachment 304963
Rex's costume was added to Vol. 1 during the base game days. That Ancient Soldier costume was added when Vol. 2's fighters were not only decided on, but were being worked on.

So yeah, Rex's costume is perfect to recycle into the Mii Costume wave for CP9.
If the Rex costume was publicly released, that would confirm the existence of an FP3, because it would be weird if they didn't do the same for the Ancient Soldier costume.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Granted, you COULD try to say it's a reference to how Xenogears (the first game in the Xeno franchise) was originally pitched as Final Fantasy VII, like Banado_Boy Banado_Boy mentioned.
you got to wonder if either square or namco is kicking their past selve's over xeno

it would have been another esteemed JRPG franchise to add to Squares Portfolio

and for Namco it would've become their biggest JRPG series in the modern era, eclipsing tales at the height of it's popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom