• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Ditto is pretty interesting just for the fact that turning him to a Smash version of SF's Eleven would take pretty much no effort at all. The pink goo recolors already exist in the game. Otherwise, I would say simplistic movesets would actually hinder an AT from becoming upgraded, since they just lack the substance to make a satisfying fully realized playable character. Alucard, Zero, Isaac, and Waluigi are widely considered to be the ones with the best chances of being upgraded, though that chance still seems pretty small either way.

Yeah, I never played SMRPG and don't really care about Geno at all, but seeing his ugly Smash 4 costume return after Sans and Cuphead was even painful for me. I was fully expecting Geno to get the Sans treatment, given his popularity....in fact I think he would have if not for the fact that his 4 costume already existed. Sucks man.
Ditto being the same as Eleven wouldnt be good as he doesnt have his own animation and you can only see him select screen
more can be done to Ditto like being able to transform into opponent or ally and can be cancelled by a taunt like Kirby cancelling his hat
as for boss battling he can just transform into a playable character that look similar to the boss such as bowser and ridley and ganondorf
if there is 1v1 ditto he will keep using struggle until he gets launched with that attack
Ditto will have his own victory screen and intro and some more animation such as sleep or confused or jump over someone
without tranformation he wouldnt be able to grab ledge or item the only attack will be struggle
this is how to properly add Ditto

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The last 3 or 4 'Sakurai Presents' have been nothing but the fighter, its history, the stage, the music, the Breakdown of the moveset, The Miis, and Classic Mode with a runtime of around 25+ minutes. Each and EVERY time, since the Terry Bogard release, they've stated its only going to be one character reveal.

How can there STILL be people expecting more or over-hyping this??

Last edited by a moderator:
BD2 Spirit Event.
I wasn't around last night when this came up, but as someone with BD as my most wanted I feel like I should address it.

It definitely stings a little. I'm not super upset or anything. It's just the feeling where you don't have a lot of hope but that last shred of it gets severed. Then you feel a bit empty, and then you find a way to move forward.

I'm glad Bravely Default is here in some form. That's better than what it could have gotten. I would have loved to see a character, and I still think it would have been really cool, but here we are. And hey, I'm getting a new game soon. That's pretty cool.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like I've probably typed this out at some point, but I'll post my thoughts on the reveals that I can remember: (with Smash 64 and Melee, the reveals were pretty much all at once for me, since Melee's dojo equivalent was Japan-only and the internet wasn't as big when Smash 64 was coming out)

:metaknight:: one of my most-wanted characters at the time, so unsurprisingly, I was excited
:pit:: I was only vaguely aware of who he was, but I knew that Kid Icarus hadn't had a game in a while, so I thought it was a neat choice
:zerosuitsamus:: I didn't think ZSS was the best choice for a second Metroid character - it seemed weird to me that they picked a second Samus over the likes of Ridley.
:warioc:: another one of my most-wanted characters; Wario Land 2 was one of the first games that I got into.
:snake:: I only recalled Snake from issues of Nintendo Power, so it didn't make as big of an impact on me as it could have. However, this did convince me to get MGS: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube, which got me into the Metal Gear series.
:ike:: wasn't really sure who he was - I had seen his games advertised, but Fire Emblem wasn't really something that I had any interest in getting into, given the whole "permanent death" mechanic
:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:: this was a great idea for a character, and I liked how they incorporated all three of the gen. 1 starters so one didn't take priority over the others.
:diddy:: this one seemed long overdue, and I was glad that Donkey Kong was getting more attention.
:lucas:: that "up until now" line had me nervous about whether or not Ness would return, but while I hadn't gotten the chance to play Earthbound at this point, it was nice to see it getting more characters.
:sonic:: while it seemed like a given after Snake's inclusion and Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games, it still felt unreal - I must have watched that reveal trailer a hundred times.
:dedede:: the more Kirby characters, the better. I don't know if Dedede made as much of an impression on me back then as he has now, but he looked like fun.
:olimar:: Olimar seemed a little weird in terms of gameplay. I had only played a bit of Pikmin, since I got the game at launch but sold it because the time management mechanic was too stressful for me at the age of 11. (I got the game later, but I can't remember when)
:toonlink:: okay, I guess? I thought he was more interesting than Young Link, at least.
:lucario:: I was one of those people who thought he was added to replace Mewtwo; admittedly, I hadn't played gen. 4, and I still haven't played gen. 4.
:rob:: a neat pull from Nintendo's history, but where's Mega Man?
:wolf:: it seemed like an odd choice to end on what seems to be another Fox clone.
:4villager:: I was never big into Animal Crossing aside from using it for the free NES games. The memes were great, though.
:4megaman:: oh, there's Mega Man. His reveal trailer was great - my only experience with classic Mega Man had been through the Gamecube collection, but after years of Capcom ignoring the franchise, it was great to see him get so much love and attention.
:4wiifit:: a really weird character choice - I remember that, as more and more characters were revealed, it just seemed odd that the developers would pick this character over ones with a decade of fan support like Ridley or K. Rool.
:rosalina:: makes sense, given her inclusion in Mario 3D World. I'm still a little disappointed that we haven't gotten Kirby's Air Ride 2 or Kirby in Mario Kart, though.
:4littlemac:: great choice, makes a ton of sense, and I have no complaints.
:4greninja:: I didn't know much about gen. 6. A little disappointed that it wasn't Mewtwo (the lack of webbing on the fingers made me think that it was him at first), but Greninja still looked fun.
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: makes sense. I don't think I was especially excited by their inclusion, though.
:4palutena:: given Sakurai's work on Kid Icarus Uprising, a new Kid Icarus character seemed guaranteed. Her inclusion made sense, and I liked how they incorporated Pit's abilities from Uprising, though again, I don't know if I was super-excited for it.
:4pacman:: it seems really weird that they saved Pac-Man, arguably the biggest reveal, for an after-hours press-only showing. Again, with Namco-Bandai involved, his inclusion was expected, but not super exciting - the only Pac-Man games that I was familiar with were the original, Pac-Man Vs., and Pac-Man World 2.
:4robinm:: glad to see them changing up the formula from the previous Fire Emblem characters. I think this (along with what my brother had told me about Awakening) is what convinced me to get a 3DS.
:4lucina:: I was glad that they were branching out somewhat, rather than going with the character that everyone expected (Chrom).
:4shulk:: I'm really feeling it! I think I had gotten Xenoblade by this point (it was full price "used", but given how scarce it was, I figured I wouldn't have many opportunities), and while I hadn't gotten very far in it, I was glad to see a more niche franchise/property getting the promotion.
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4darkpit:: all of these were leaked in advance, and while Shulk was leaked as well, his inclusion seemingly confirmed them. I don't recall being too excited about any of them, though I thought that Duck Hunt was a nice choice for a retro character. My opinion on Bowser Junior improved when the trailer came out and we saw that all of the Koopalings were included, my opinion on Duck Hunt improved when the trailer came out and we saw how goofy they were, and my opinion on Dark Pit never really improved - his inclusion, along with the sheer amount of Kid Icarus content in the items, trophies, and modes like Smash Run, seemed like overkill.
:4ryu:: when Ryu supposedly leaked through his victory music (and more conclusively, his classic clear video), I wasn't sure what would make him interesting, but the inclusion of traditional fighting game motions to power up his attacks won me over
:4cloud:: this was a complete shock to me - I hadn't played much of Final Fantasy 7 at the time (I only knew about the start of the game, the spoiler that everyone knows about, and the final boss), but it was still a big deal.
:4corrin:: two Fire Emblem characters in the base game was fine - Robin was unique, and Lucina didn't take much effort to include. Roy as DLC seemed pushing it - it seemed a bit much to add a clone of a character who already had a clone, especially when there were a bunch of other veterans that people would have preferred. This is the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it came to Fire Emblem characters - it seemed excessive to give the series more characters than the Legend of Zelda, and Corrin's inclusion came across as blatantly trying to promote a game that wasn't even released outside of Japan yet.
:4bayonetta:: she was a character that I really wanted to see in Smash (I got Bayonetta 1 on a whim because it was cheap and by the people who made Viewtiful Joe, but Bayonetta 2 was one of the reasons why I bought a Wii U, and I wanted to see how well the Smash team would translate the gameplay of that series into Smash), but I thought it would never happen. While the start of the trailer had me expecting that they were going to claim that a Kid Icarus character won the ballot, I was extremely happy when they revealed that Bayonetta was being added to Smash. She played exactly how I expected, and while some might argue that's a bad thing, it was incredible to see a character that I thought would never make it get included in Smash Bros.
:ultinkling:: great choice, and I honestly would have been surprised if they weren't included
:ultdaisy:: meh
:ultridley:: incredibly excited - I had wanted him since the time between Melee and Brawl, and they did a great job with translating him into Smash. I don't know why people thought it was "impossible" to scale him down.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: with Simon and Richter, I understand their inclusion from a historical perspective, but I had tried getting into Castlevania a few times (the original and Super Castlevania 4) and I just couldn't get into it - I'm not a huge fan of those kind of "git gud" games where frustrating control schemes are supposedly "part of the charm". (after finding out that Richter was the Belmont from the "what is a man?" scene, I tried Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and had a lot more fun with it, so I definitely prefer the Metroid inspired ones over the classics)
:ultdarksamus:: more Metroid content is a plus
:ultchrom:: while I felt like we had long gone past the point where another Fire Emblem character is needed, the fact that he's a clone made it easier to accept in my eyes.
:ultkrool:: much like Ridley, this is a character that I had wanted for years (since Diddy made it in), and it was great to see him included. They did an amazing job with him, and it was a huge relief to have both Ridley and K. Rool officially in Smash Bros. after years of mockery.
:ultisabelle:: kind of expected after Mario Kart 8.
:ultken:: makes perfect sense as an echo fighter, and more Street Fighter content is a plus.
:ultincineroar:: okay, I guess? Kind of expected, given the "Box Theory" at the time, though I think I was hoping for Decidueye
:ultpiranha:: what? Once the shock wore off, I thought it was an interesting way for the developers to try something different.
:ultjoker:: at this point, I had bought Persona 5, but I hadn't played it. Suffice to say, I never saw it coming. I played Persona 5 after that, and wound up putting 100+ hours into it, playing Persona 4, and getting Persona 5 Strikers, so I guess you can say I liked the game.
:ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:: I was expecting Erdrick to be the default costume. Again, this makes a lot of sense. I hadn't played much of Dragon Quest (though since then, I've played 1 and 11 - I also have 3 and 8, but I haven't played them yet), but Dragon Quest is an influential franchise, and with Square-Enix already involved, it just seemed like a matter of time.
:ultbanjokazooie:: this is dreams-come-true material for me - Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time were the first N64 games that I ever owned, and after the Microsoft buyout, I assumed that Banjo and Kazooie coming to Smash was a pipe dream. I was so glad to be proven wrong.
:ult_terry:: if we got an SNK character, I wanted it to be Terry. (or Geese or Rugal, but they seemed considerably less likely) He's just so energetic and fun, and the inclusion of Super Special moves was a plus in my eyes. (it would be a shame if Terry got into Smash but without "ARE YOU OKAY? BUSTA WOLF!")
:ultbyleth:: a really disappointing way to end Fighters Pass 1. I'm just glad that Fighters Pass 2 had been announced by that point. While I had played Fire Emblem Three Houses prior to his announcement (unlike the other Fire Emblem characters), Byleth was easily the least interesting of the four main options (Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude). His entire personality is that he has no personality, and his fighting style seems like it would be a mix of Marth's sword and Simon's whip. I can see why they didn't pick one of the house leaders (that way, no route is treated as though it's more important than the others), but I would have preferred Edelgard.
:ultminmin: I knew very little about ARMS - I played the free trial, but it didn't grab me. Min Min seemed like the best choice given that she (I think) won a popularity contest (though if spirits were actually ruled out like some people thought, then I wouldn't have minded Dr. Coyle), but I find it tough to get excited about a character if their source material isn't fun.
:ultsteve:: I'm glad he was revealed after Banjo. I hadn't played Minecraft in about ten years, so quite a bit of Steve's content was new to me (his up special, Alex, Enderman...). I did get Minecraft on the Wii U to see how the game had changed over the years, so points for that. (I know it's not the most up-to-date version, but I figured that I had a lot more space on my Wii U than I did on my Switch) All in all, I thought his inclusion made sense, and it was great to see an indie character (technically) making it into Smash. (at the very least, it speaks to how much of a success story Minecraft is)
:ultsephiroth:: the Sephiroth reveal was great (I beat Final Fantasy 7 between Cloud's reveal and this), though it came with some mixed emotions - it meant that my most-wanted character was almost definitely ruled out from being included, and I wished that Final Fantasy games other than 7 would get referenced in Smash. (it would be nice if we even got a spirit event for another Final Fantasy game) He looked like a lot of fun, and the Sephiroth Challenge was a great way to bring him into the game.
:ultpyra:: I'm not even far enough into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to know about Zeke, let alone Mythra. Still, Pyra and Mythra look like they'll be fun to play as, and I prefer them over Rex. (there's something about Rex that makes it harder for me to like him or get invested in him than it was for Shulk - not sure what)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wasn't around last night when this came up, but as someone with BD as my most wanted I feel like I should address it.

It definitely stings a little. I'm not super upset or anything. It's just the feeling where you don't have a lot of hope but that last shred of it gets severed. Then you feel a bit empty, and then you find a way to move forward.

I'm glad Bravely Default is here in some form. That's better than what it could have gotten. I would have loved to see a character, and I still think it would have been really cool, but here we are. And hey, I'm getting a new game soon. That's pretty cool.
Yeah, I can understand you.

Personally I'd rather have spirits or a costume for my most wanteds, if they're not gonna make it, but even that is unlikely because not everyone will get a spirit/costume treatment.

The Bravely Default spirit event is also not the first IP Square Enix has in the game in form of spirits. So I think a NEO The World Ends With You spirit event is very likely around summer, when the new game releases. Maybe even a Nier event, because Replicant is coming soon.

Though I'd be slightly disappointed if we don't get Neku as a spirit if they're gonna include spirits for the new TWEWY game, which has a new cast of characters.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Most likely he just means playing the entire Classic Mode with the new character as he's done previously
That's why the presentation lasts 35 minutes
Let's not overhype ourselves here.
Then again, he has two characters to go over instead of the usual one, so that's probably part of the length too, considering how even if they are the same moves, Sakurai is probably going over both character's entire kit, as per usual. Alongside probably a Free-for-All with the Rex Mii Costume, Shulk, and Pokemon Trainer lol.

Pillow

Smash Lord
The last 3 or 4 'Sakurai Presents' have been nothing but the fighter, its history, the stage, the music, the Breakdown of the moveset, The Miis, and Classic Mode with a runtime of around 25+ minutes. Each and EVERY time, since the Terry Bogard release, they've stated its only going to be one character reveal.

How can there STILL be people expecting more or over-hyping this??
Mii costumes though

Yeah I felt the loss of BD too. However, I never thought the series had much of a chance to begin with, so having low expectations helped ease the pain a bit.

The anxiety has begun.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Honestly pretty happy. I have nothing against Crash or his fans, but I don't particularly care about him either, so having one less popular character out of the way means a higher likelihood of my favorites getting in.

Shroob

Sup?
So, they announced the presentation over a week in advance?

Interesting.

Now, besides the nagging question of "What Miis", the big question is "Will they come out the same day?"

Historically, characters revealed in Directs do indeed drop the same day as their presentation, while characters revealed via presentations don't, so it'll be interesting to see.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
We thought we'd get swimsuits, but it's actually the hot spring towels. :4pacman:
I'm thinking Pyra will get her Swimsuit, as it's easy enough to censor for CERO, but Mythra will just get her Towel, with Anime Logic that allows it to stay up, as Mythra's Swimsuit is .....not for good boys and girls.That and one of Xenoblade 2's most iconic scenes IS the Hot Spring with Mythra, so I'm thinkiing that could help be a double whammy lol.

D

Deleted member

So, they announced the presentation over a week in advance?

Interesting.

Now, besides the nagging question of "What Miis", the big question is "Will they come out the same day?"

Historically, characters revealed in Directs do indeed drop the same day as their presentation, while characters revealed via presentations don't, so it'll be interesting to see.
Nah, just feels like its over a week. February is a short month. The Sakurai Presents is next week (Thursday) and the announcement was announced today.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Doing the thing to the best of my memory.

:ultmetaknight: Reaction: YOOOOO! One of my most wanted! Now: Did they have to nerf him this hard?
:ultpit: Reaction: Aw hell yeah! Now: Great, but I miss his various aspects of his kit from Brawl and For.
:ultzss: Reaction: Where the hell is Ridley? Now: Very boring kit.
:ultwario: Reaction: ...Why is Wario dressed like that? (< Didn't know WarioWare was a thing) Now: Fun.
:ultsnake: Reaction: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD Now: My previous main main before Banjo, still my favorite character ever.
:ultsonic: Reaction: Oh hey, captain obvious showed up! (Fell out of the series at the time so it wasn't super hype) Now: Yeah that's Sonic.

Skipping all the Brawl characters who were just dropped on the site without a trailer.
-
:ultvillager: Reaction: Ok, makes sense. Never played AC so no attachment. Now: Played AC, still just ok.
:ultmegaman: Reaction: Hype despite never playing his games. Now: Played some of the games, he's ok.
:ultwiifittrainer: Reaction: What. Now: What.
:ultrosalina: Reaction: Nintendo is really shoving this chick in everything. Never played Galaxy so pretty annoyed. Now: She cute.
:ultlittlemac: Reaction: Well this is boring. Now: Kinda fun actually.
:ultgreninja: Reaction: Why? Now: Very boring.
:ultmiifighters: Reaction: WoodyNo.GIF Now: I've never used them at all in Ultimate.
:ultpalutena: Reaction: Not a big win but still good! Now: I'm torn between loving Palutena and hating her because **** fighting her.
:ultdarkpit: Reaction: Goddamnit. Now: Echo fighters are entirely useless to me and I use none of them.
:ultpacman: Reaction: The only character I got that I really wanted, from the bottom of my list... Now: Still highly played.
:ultrobinf: Reaction: Hell yes **** Chrom! Awakening wasn't that great but I like Robin. Now: Her kit is kinda ass but still my second most used Emblem.
:ultlucina: Reaction: Wait no why you did so well with Robin. Now: Echo fighters are entirely useless to me and I don't like Lucina anyway.
:ultshulk: Reaction: Dunno who this is but I like his voice. Now: Xenoblade is one of my favorite games ever and Shulk is one of my mains.
:ultbowserjr: Reaction: Why has this game forsaken me? :ultwendy: Hold up, Koopalings holy **** I take it back! Now: Not the most fun character...
:ultduckhunt: Reaction: I'm in love with the fourth wall breaking zapper concept. Now: Ultimate kinda killed the fun of the kit with the changes made...
:ultryu: Reaction: Wait what? Now: Preeeeety boring.
:ultcloud: Reaction: (Never played a FF game before this) That music? No way. OH GOD THEY DID IT AHHH- Now: Most played character that's not a main.
:ultcorrinf: Reaction: Oh god fu-[long string of expletives] Now: Fates sucked ass and so does Corn.
:ultbayonetta1: Reaction: Seething. Rage. Now: I want nothing to do with this thing.
-
:ultinkling: Reaction: Woomy! Now: One of my mains!
:ultdaisy: Reaction: What? Why? Now: I don't like Daisy.
:ultridley: Reaction: Ultimate hype, my fifth most wanted finally happened! Now: Highly played, super fun.
:ultsimon: Reaction: Awesome! Now: Really fun but man his recovery sucks.
:ultrichter: Reaction: Literally who? Now: I don't use echoes, and hate how he completely overshadows Simon.
:ultdarksamus: Reaction: What? Now: The only echo I'd consider using, maybe if I ever finish the Prime series.
:ultchrom: Reaction: NOOOO. Now: I dislike Chrom as much as Lucina.
:ultkrool: Reaction: Tears of joy, we finally did it krew. My fourth most wanted! Now: My next most used non-main after Cloud, fun as hell.
:ultisabelle: Reaction: Worst reveal in the history of Smash solely based on how goddamn boring it was. Now: Eh, alright.
:ultken: Reaction: Oh no that leak was real and the Grinch was fake oh god oh no not- Now: He doesn't have the red fireball, in the trash he goes.
:ultincineroar: Reaction: HIM. **** sake. Now: The only thing saving you from being the worst Pokemon in the game is Pichu returning.
:ultpiranha: Reaction: Confused anger. Now: Confused indifference.
:ultjoker: Reaction: Who in the fresh hell is this? Now: I'll probably never play Persona so this dude is nothing but a random school shooter.
:ulthero3: Reaction: I got another spot on my bingo! Now: I love his archetype of a mage swordsman, I need to play DQ someday.
:ultbanjokazooie: Reaction: Brain.exe has stopped functioning. My most wanted character ever, we did it, they're home, I'm not crying you are. Now: The main.
:ult_terry: Reaction: Yet another who on earth. Now: This dude is actually rad.
:ultminmin Reaction: Eat it spring boy! Now: Why does everyone hate her? I love her! Or maybe I just love ramen... still fun as hell.
:ultsteve: Reaction: I skipped from anger directly to depression. Now: Maybe if I play Minecraft I'll understand why people love an ugly placeholder skin?
:ultsephiroth: Reaction: WHAT? Now: I'm actually ok with this and he's so fun he's reaching the top of my play list.
:ultpyra: Reaction: Mythra was my low key pick for a Xenoblade character and it actually happened lmao. Now: Eagerly awaiting release.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ahhhh they didn't update the official site after the announcement. A whole week of thinking about Pyra and Mythra alts. Fantastic. They better have something good in store.
Even if there's no swimsuit alternates, I'm predicting there might at least be one notable alternate color.

Pneuma's colors most likely, but KOS-MOS and T-elos colors could be possible too.

Pillow

Smash Lord
:ultsteve: Reaction: I skipped from anger directly to depression. Now: Maybe if I play Minecraft I'll understand why people love an ugly placeholder skin?
To clarify, no one really likes Steve the character, because he really isn't one. People love Minecraft, and Steve represents Minecraft very well in Smash. The amount of care and attention to detail Sakurai had when designing his kit is nothing short of incredible, and this is coming from someone who also has never really played Minecraft.

I'm thinking Pyra will get her Swimsuit, as it's easy enough to censor for CERO, but Mythra will just get her Towel, with Anime Logic that allows it to stay up, as Mythra's Swimsuit is .....not for good boys and girls.That and one of Xenoblade 2's most iconic scenes IS the Hot Spring with Mythra, so I'm thinkiing that could help be a double whammy lol.
I don't really have anything against them getting their swimsuit costumes, but the fact that it's likely going to be their most used alt irritates me.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't really have anything against them getting their swimsuit costumes, but the fact that it's likely going to be their most used alt irritates me.
Honestly, I'm thinking they're probably getting it for the sake of consistency lol. Pyra's Swimsuit and Mythra's Towel, with a couple of slight alterations would work perfectly for Pyra and Mythra. Honestly shocked Swimsuit Link didn't happen in Retrospect considering they could've just altered Shulk's Model slightly and have been done with it lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To clarify, no one really likes Steve the character,
Well, maybe not in Minecraft, but in Smash I think he's pretty fun. His stoic behavior, his lack of expressions, the dissonant art style, and the sheer lack of ----s he gives towards the fight, the rest of the cast, and Smash as a whole are just hilarious. Randomly munches on a steak while he blows people to smithereens, mines in the middle of battle, can't even be bothered to Smashifty himself. I'd say that Smash somehow managed to make a character out of Steve's lack of character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
To clarify, no one really likes Steve the character, because he really isn't one. People love Minecraft, and Steve represents Minecraft very well in Smash. The amount of care and attention to detail Sakurai had when designing his kit is nothing short of incredible, and this is coming from someone who also has never really played Minecraft.
Actually a lot of people like and care about Steve too, with some like me hoping he and Alex would've been the main characters in the Minecraft movie and wanting Mojang to expand more on their characters (although since they want to leave the lore mostly up to the players with just some hints and the stuff in Dungeons, maybe it's the same way for Steve and Alex, idk).

He and Alex also get a lot of fan art and other fanmade stuff.

I'm not 100% sure how to explain why we care about them; I think because we like their designs, plus our interpretations of them based on Minecraft's world and what you do in it, with people thinking different things about them. Of course one of the reasons is how they're the mascots for our favorite game, but a lot of Minecraft fans do care about them even if there are others who don't. I guess similar to how you get attached to a toy of no specific brand as a child, and give it its own personality.

Mojang themselves seem inconsistent on the two characters; in one of the "How We Make Minecraft" videos the narrator did say they are just avatars, however there are posts referring to them by name and other official posts etc. treating them as actual characters, so maybe Mojang themselves has varied opinions on them idk.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well, maybe not in Minecraft, but in Smash I think he's pretty fun. His stoic behavior, his lack of expressions, the dissonant art style, and the sheer lack of ----s he gives towards the fight, the rest of the cast, and Smash as a whole are just hilarious. Randomly munches on a steak while he blows people to smithereens, mines in the middle of battle, can't even be bothered to Smashifty himself. I'd say that Smash somehow managed to make a character out of Steve's lack of character.
I'd argue that this is still not liking his character (again, because he isn't a character which isn't exactly the same thing as lacking personality), so much as it it's liking the idea of something so ridiculous in Smash. There are other blank slate avatar characters in Smash like Villager and even Inkling, but Steve is unique in that his game doesn't even have some basic plot or other actual characters surrounding him to give context to his goals or motivations. You are a dude. You mine. You craft. Then you mine and craft some more.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I still think getting swimsuit/towel alts is almost impossible. For better or worse, men and woman bodies are clearly treated different by ESRB/CERO.

I doubt the age rating systems had a problem with Swimsuit Shulk or Shirtless Sephiroth. But knowing how this works, I'm pretty sure getting swimsuits for Pyra and Mythra is unlikely. Female bodies in video games are more sensitive for ESRB and CERO.

And to be honest, while the swimsuits would be cool (especially Pyra's, I don't like Mythra's tbh), I'd just rather have different colour variations.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The anxiety has begun.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
MY DISAPPOINTMENT IS IMMEASURABLE AND MY DAY IS RUINED

Seriously, this would hurt hard. To me, Crash getting into this game would truly make it Ultimate. Finally Sonic v Mario v Crash can be settled IN SMASH. Wow... what a thing to see.

I don't know what the future holds, but I would have to move on regardless. Smash will still be an incredible and unforgettable game with or without Crash.

That said though, I really don't think a Mii Costume is Crash's fate. Might just be a gut feeling, but I think we either get Crash playable or we get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom