• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
that was years ago, they struggle to hit anything impressive now.

the only million sellers right now in japan are, Mario (Nintendo), Mario Kart (Nintendo), Mario Party (Nintendo), Zelda (Nintendo), Splatoon (Nintendo), Animal Crossing (Nintendo), Kirby (Nintendo), Ring Fit (Nintendo), Smash Bros (Nintendo), Pokémon (Nintendo), Pikmin (Nintendo), Monster Hunter (Capcom), Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) Nier (Square Enix), Final Fantasy (Square Enix), Dragon Quest (Square Enix) and Minecraft (Microsoft).
I’d like to note that Puyo is very possibly on this list too, we don’t get specific sales numbers but we do have a series total sales number and it would average at about 2 million per game (most Puyo games did not get localized)

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's what it seems like. His thing, aside from being the old PS1 mascot, is that he's very big in the West and still decently large in Japan. I can definitely see him being a big crowd-pleaser on his own.
What makes me question things is when people suggest him alongside Master Chief, who's in a similar situation (But less so, given the FPS genre's lack of prevalence in Japan), for the final two who would please the most people. That seems too Western-oriented to fit the bill, as we still have the Japanese market to take into account. Granted, not all of us know the Japanese gaming scene very well, but it still feels rather unbalanced.
I think most of us say Master Chief because hes the Xbox Guy.
Sure we have characters owned by Microsoft. But neither of them particularly scream Xbox.
I suppose if we were being unrealistic Kratos or Sackboy or maybe even Gordon Freeman would also generate the same type of buzz, albeit for PlayStation and PC respectively.
Theses characters inclusion would be such a massive moment in gaming history that they would likely be better received than most other characters.
MC is the most talked about because hes the most likely.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I’m getting unreasonably excited over rumors but MGS Remake, Silent Hill from Bloober, Silent Hills from Kojima, and IgaVania 1999? Broooooo pleeaaaaase
This is the one I'm really sceptical about because they completely bungled the story and themes in The Medium so I have little hope for how well they'd handle Silent Hill.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
So I have a question for you guys: What two characters do you think would please the greatest amount of people if they were revealed as the last two characters? As in, most of the Smash fanbase would be rejoicing and people would be happy or at least okay with them even if they weren't the characters they wanted. I would say Crash and Dante but I really don't know to be honest. What do you all think? (and what two characters would make YOU the most happy, no matter how far-fetched or unrealistic?)
The most characters the largest amount of the core Smash speculation fanbase would like to be Crash and Master Chief or Doomguy. These characters have been talked about the most in speculation recently so seeing them would likely end everything off well.

As for me looking at it more objectively, I want Crash and a GTA rep because they make the most sense to round out the roster in my head. Crash is a big name in speculation that makes easy sense for Smash while GTA is the biggest thing not in Smash at all and the reactions would be crazy. This would get the attention of those who haven't been paying much attention to Smash yet. They both represent so much to gaming as a whole from gameplay variety, to impact, to innovation, to rivalry. They're just big names worldwide and would bring some interesting gameplay to the fighter pass. These last fighters wouldn't ever age badly since they've already cemented their place in gaming. If you add those two characters, I'd argue the DLC and main roster representation for all of gaming would be flawless.

(I still find it weird that Grand Theft Auto V is somehow doing better than Crash Bandicoot right now in Japan.)

I still believe Crash is more likely than anyone purely based on his past immense success. He was even considered for Melee before it even had a name.
In that poll he had one more vote than Sonic and Mega Man.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I mean, selling well doesn't really indicate Smash requests
that was years ago, they struggle to hit anything impressive now.

the only million sellers right now in japan are, Mario (Nintendo), Mario Kart (Nintendo), Mario Party (Nintendo), Zelda (Nintendo), Splatoon (Nintendo), Animal Crossing (Nintendo), Kirby (Nintendo), Ring Fit (Nintendo), Smash Bros (Nintendo), Pokémon (Nintendo), Pikmin (Nintendo), Monster Hunter (Capcom), Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) Nier (Square Enix), Final Fantasy (Square Enix), Dragon Quest (Square Enix) and Minecraft (Microsoft).
Fair enough, but Sharklord was asking how he'd be received in Japan, not how requested he is right now. My point was that, based on that chart, I'd say he would be fairly well received, even if not as requested as in the west.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think most of us say Master Chief because hes the Xbox Guy.
Sure we have characters owned by Xbox. But neither of them particularly scream Xbox.
I suppose if we were being unrealistic Kratos or Sackboy or maybe even Gordon Freeman would also generate the same type of buzz, albeit for PlayStation and PC respectively.
Theses characters inclusion would be such a massive moment in gaming history that they would likely be better received than most other characters.
MC is the most talked about because hes the most likely.
Yeah, that's understandable on it's own. Thing is, the Xbox never really settled down in Japan. I'm sure there's people who'd be stoked with him over in Japan, but if we're going for the most satisfactory duo period, I feel like MC would need an earth-shaker for Japan to balance him out. Crash is decently popular over there, but he doesn't quite hit the same level for them. That's why I think them as the final two wouldn't fulfill the most well-received duo, as the largest chunk of their popularity comes from the West.

Granted, it's almost impossible to pinpoint the exact best-received pair, so...

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's also hard to nail down is how much crossover play there is between best selling franchises and Smash. Lots of people play GTA V, but how many of them are going to then play Smash if a GTA character gets in? Are more Monster Hunter fans going to play Ultimate if a MH gets in vs that of a GTA? Practically impossible to determine.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
(I still find it weird that Grand Theft Auto V is somehow doing better than Crash Bandicoot right now in Japan.)
I don't find it that weird. Open world games have immense world wide appeal.

I still believe Crash is more likely than anyone purely based on his past immense success. He was even considered for Melee before it even had a name.
In that poll he had one more vote than Sonic and Mega Man.
Man if only Nintendo still took ideas from this list, then my hope in Sgt. Cortez taking the place of James Bond would be invigorated again. I think the Monster Hunter rise protagonist and Crash Bandicoot are our last characters. Forgive me if I say this like a broken record.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I’d like to note that Puyo is very possibly on this list too, we don’t get specific sales numbers but we do have a series total sales number and it would average at about 2 million per game (most Puyo games did not get localized)
mhm, it's just most of their games are digital only so puyo puyo tetris 2 is really all we can measure from the franchise, but it's definitely up there.

Power pros, Fire Emblem and Rhythm heaven, and Tomadachi lifes next entry's can all hit a million as well possibly.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
What's also hard to nail down is how much crossover play there is between best selling franchises and Smash. Lots of people play GTA V, but how many of them are going to then play Smash if a GTA character gets in? Are more Monster Hunter fans going to play Ultimate if a MH gets in vs that of a GTA? Practically impossible to determine.
It depends on how you look at it. With GTA, you could argue there is crossover considering just how many people own it. Either people who already know the characters or series buy the character in Smash, or they may be interested in being one of the few people who hasn't bought it yet. If this coincides with a Switch port it could be a big cross-promotion. This would be a Cloud Strife situation.

Many Nintendo fans are likely not big on GTA if they only own Nintendo products. If we get GTA in Smash and Rockstar finally ports the games to Switch, there will be a market opened. Nintendo will simply profit by adding the biggest series and game not in Smash. GTA V in one year alone sold more than Ultimate did in its entirety more or less. MH is already represented in Smash so I don't know how much buzz that would bring in comparison.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I don't find it that weird. Open world games have immense world wide appeal.

Man if only Nintendo still took ideas from this list, then my hope in Sgt. Cortez taking the place of James Bond would be invigorated again. I think the Monster Hunter rise protagonist and Crash Bandicoot are our last characters. Forgive me if I say this like a broken record.
I think if we get a MH rep, it might not be the dude Rise. I can see Nintendo and Sakurai developing an in-house character that isn't out yet but I would never imagine Sakurai doing so for another company. If Rise does get a spirit event or we get the MH Mii Costumes before a fighter, I don't think we'd see any more MH. My prediction would shift to someone like Arle from PuyoPuyo at that point.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Fair enough, but Sharklord was asking how he'd be received in Japan, not how requested he is right now. My point was that, based on that chart, I'd say he would be fairly well received, even if not as requested as in the west.
crash 4's launch week was 10,437 in Japan, it disappeared soon after. he's irrelevant there.

also clubhouse games is another million selling franchise for nintendo in japan.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I think the key testing point for Crash will probably be his Switch sales numbers in regards to 4. Given how dominant Nintendo has become and big software sales for a lot of titles, a lack of success with the Switch port would be much more telling.
this too, any franchise that doesn't release on the switch basically immediately becomes irrelevant in Japan.

basically rip to a tales of rep.

actually im pretty sure xenoblade is now a bigger franchise than tales of, both in japan and worldwide.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I’m getting unreasonably excited over rumors but MGS Remake, Silent Hill from Bloober, Silent Hills from Kojima, and IgaVania 1999? Broooooo pleeaaaaase
I think that this will probably translate to a renasaince of Konami Ips, being done by studios that want to do stuff with teh IPs and have teh talents.. and probably konami will take a hands off approach, which is cool considering thast the way konami greates hits were done. this obviously will degenerate in some like 6 or seven years into bad sequels, and people just doing stuff because its profitable, but i honestly think that the first row of reboots, reimagings or sequels will be very healthy and good.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
this too, any franchise that doesn't release on the switch basically immediately becomes irrelevant in Japan.

basically rip to a tales of rep.

actually im pretty sure xenoblade is now a bigger franchise than tales of, both in japan and worldwide.
It won't be big enough until we can tell stories of how Shulk's VA memed his character into stardom by saying he would strip if he was in the top three of the popularity poll :4pacman:

I still can't get over that...

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I didn't really have reactions to the First Couple besides a Mewtwo on Greninja, wondering why Wii Fit, thinking all of them were unique, and wanting Dr. Mario back I'm not kidding about this either lol.

Lucina: Cool Cinematic.
Robin: Most Unique Character don't @ me.
Shulk: Leaked
Dark Pit: Leaked
Bowser Jr.: That's a cool trailer.
Duck Hunt: "I'm going to main them Daddy!" Yeah right lmao.
Ryu: That's.... more Creative than I was expecting nice!
Cloud: Nintendo F-NUKED SONY LMAOOOOOOOOOOO Still my Favorite Reveal remember when Third Parties felt Special?
Corrin: Etika was popping off.
Bayonetta: Busted. I was correct.
Inkling: Inevitable.
Daisy: Insert Joke Here.
Ridley: I thought he was too big.
Simon: Hype, got me into Castlevania.
Richter: ANIME BOY!
Chrom: lol
Dark Samus: Why as an Echo? Looks cool though.
King K. Rool: CALLED IT!
Isabelle: Underwhelmed outside of the Memes.
Ken: CALLED IT!
Incineroar: F***************************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S THE ONE I H A T E D !
Piranha Plant: Funny.
Joker: More Likely than people were giving credit.
Hero: Inevitable sees menu YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Banjo: He finally made it he looks cool.
Terry: Trailer was Nice. That was it until the 50 MUSIC TRACKS!
Byleth: CALLED IT! Also just laughing at the Salt!
Min Min: Not Twintelle or Master Mummy and overspeculated lining up with dumb patterns I WAS MAD!
Steve: CALLED IT!
Sephiroth: Laughing at how this probably killed Sora.
Pyra: Insert **** Joke Here.
Mythra: Insert **** Joke Here.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Really Konami could be making up for a lot of lost ground now if they actually got around to putting out more collections of games. Even if they didn't include Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood, why Castlevania Collection 2 with the GBA trilogy, DS trilogy, Adventure ReBirth, and Dracula X hasn't been announced yet is baffling to me.

Hell a Bomberman collection with internet play for most of them could do great numbers.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
We already have that problem to some extent with :ultsteve: . Minecraft is one of the few games with truly global popularity, but if someone is intrigued by his Smash appearance and doesn't have a Nintendo console already (s)he needs:

• A Switch.
  • Smash Bros.
  • FP2 or Steve's Pack.

The three combined cost a pretty penny for a machine that's strictly for entertainment. And as such we can't expect every person worldwide who play Minecraft (it's F2P in China, so that's a main reason why there are 400 million accounts just from that country alone in addition to the 200 million paid units elsewhere) to suddenly decide that buying everything needed is worth it.

But thing is, Nintendo doesn't need to convince everyone who plays Minecraft, GTA, LoL or what have you to buy the entire package. As long as the inclusion itself helps to drive things for Nintendo (which I'm pretty sure Steve did since he crashed Twitter) Nintendo will be in a good spot.

Also, 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus , off-topic, but a bigger gun you might need:

vqNtdF6aJX1qdMIqFaOekVhjynRXJziYFDIVzrunOn7D-HgYT5eVJyJJsm0ULaqSdqwXf51amZRhs0.png

:4pacman:

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
We already have that problem to some extent with :ultsteve: . Minecraft is one of the few games with truly global popularity, but if someone is intrigued by his Smash appearance and doesn't have a Nintendo console already (s)he needs:

• A Switch.
  • Smash Bros.
  • FP2 or Steve's Pack.

The three combined cost a pretty penny for a machine that's strictly for entertainment. And as such we can't expect every person worldwide who play Minecraft (it's F2P in China, so that's why there are 400 million accounts just from that country alone in addition to the 200 million paid units elsewhere) to suddenly decide that buying everything needed is worth it.

But thing is, Nintendo doesn't need to convince everyone who plays Minecraft, GTA, LoL or what have you to buy the entire package. As long as the inclusion itself helps to drive things for Nintendo (which I'm pretty sure Steve did since he crashed Twitter) Nintendo will be in a good spot.

Also, 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus , off-topic, but a bigger gun you might need:

View attachment 304575

:4pacman:
Same would apply to DFO by the way it straight up has 600 Million Players over in South East Asia.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
crash 4's launch week was 10,437 in Japan, it disappeared soon after. he's irrelevant there.
...On a console that isn't selling well in Japan? I think that hardly translates to him being irrelevant.

Pretty much any series that can break 1.5 million per game, even if it was 10 years ago, is absolutely not a series I'd call irrelevant and not well-liked.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think if we get a MH rep, it might not be the dude Rise. I can see Nintendo and Sakurai developing an in-house character that isn't out yet but I would never imagine Sakurai doing so for another company. If Rise does get a spirit event or we get the MH Mii Costumes before a fighter, I don't think we'd see any more MH. My prediction would shift to someone like Arle from PuyoPuyo at that point.
I don't know. Nintendo seems to be working very closely with Capcom with Monster Hunter Rise, giving me the same vibes as Bayonetta. ARMS, Final Fantasy 7 and Xenoblade 2 have just had a boost in content in Smash, most likely stemming from Nintendo not being satisfied with what they had currently had for those series so if they're continuing that trend then more Monster Hunter content is next with the Rise protagonist and would go perfectly with the Smash 4 Mii costumes.

I don't really want a Monster Hunter for smash but at this point, I just find it makes a lot of sense for them to be part of the Fighters Pass.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
...On a console that isn't selling well in Japan? I think that hardly translates to him being irrelevant.

Pretty much any series that can break 1.5 million per game, even if it was 10 years ago, is absolutely not a series I'd call irrelevant and not well-liked.
that's not the point, even on switch it won't do much better, a long time go anything could do 1 mil in japan, Metroid did, DYnasty warriors did, even TWNIBEE did. it wasn't much of an achievement, now MEtroid barely does anything in Japan and twinbee is dead not to mention DYnasty warriors decline. same thing happened to crash as those three, the interest isn't there anymore.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't really want a Monster Hunter for smash but at this point, I just find it makes a lot of sense for them to be part of the Fighters Pass.
Honestly, that's kinda why I doubt them. There's only three characters across both DLC packs that really made sense by our standards; Byleth, Steve, and Pyra. Maybe Hero too, but they had the Japan-centric issue to content with. Smash usually doesn't go for the obvious choices, and I'm hesitant to board any ships for really popular predictions.

That, and bias, admittedly. The bulk of characters that interest me are all pretty under-the-radar, so I end up focusing on darkhorses more than frontrunners.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't know. Nintendo seems to be working very closely with Capcom with Monster Hunter Rise, giving me the same vibes as Bayonetta. ARMS, Final Fantasy 7 and Xenoblade 2 have just had a boost in content in Smash, most likely stemming from Nintendo not being satisfied with what they had currently had for those series so if they're continuing that trend then more Monster Hunter content is next with the Rise protagonist and would go perfectly with the Smash 4 Mii costumes.

Yeah, I doubt the Monster Hunter Team would work on adding a Hunter to Smash unless it's a Journey's Hunter where Rathalos does most of the work. Because after Infinite flopped, I simply can't see the Hunter getting into another Fighting Game for at least another Decade at least. Because the Monster Hunter Devs already don't like the idea too much, even refusing the Hunter getting into MvC3, and I think the One Time the Hunters were let into a Fighting Game being a Total Flop probably made their stance on the Matter even more severe. Yeah I'm sorry Monster Hunter ain't happening this game it's not your fault lmao.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
To be honest, I have a hard time seeing why they'd be able to get Rathalos in, but had to wait until the end of Fighter's Pass 2 to get a Hunter in. That alone makes me think that a Hunter just isn't coming. Still plenty of time for another Capcom rep, but I think Monster Hunter is about as repped as it's going to be.
Believe me, I want you to be right. I don't dislike Monster Hunter at all, but my Capcom choice is easily Phoenix. I just hope we get a Capcom rep at all.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, that's kinda why I doubt them. There's only three characters across both DLC packs that really made sense by our standards; Byleth, Steve, and Pyra. Maybe Hero too, but they had the Japan-centric issue to content with. Smash usually doesn't go for the obvious choices, and I'm hesitant to board any ships for really popular predictions.
Pyra really doesn’t count as people expected Rex to be the main XC2 character with Pyra tagging along.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I've wondered for a while now why people assume Sony wouldn't allow any of their characters in Smash. Sure, it hasn't happened yet, but if Nintendo came to them asking for Aloy or Kratos or something, is there real precedent suggesting Sony would shoot them down? Or does everyone just assume they're as protective of their IP as Nintendo is? Because frankly, that's pretty dang hard to do :ohwell:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I am fully conveninced that the only reason why people think a MH character is happening is only because of the game coming out next month
It's not just Rise. Monster Hunter's shot up to become one of Capcom's big breadwinners, to the point that World is their best-selling game of all time. Plus, there's been a pattern of going back to old deals and missed chances, and MH might fit that criteria, given the content it already has and the oddly-titled songs. Rise being a big thing Nintendo's pushing is just the cherry on top.
Pyra really doesn’t count as people expected Rex to be the main XC2 character with Pyra tagging along.
I was mainly referring to XC2 itself. I suppose it would be more accurate to say they were semi-safe; The game itself has a lot going for it and they're fairly popular by extension of Rex's requests and their team status, but Pyra on her own was pretty unexpected.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I am fully conveninced that the only reason why people think a MH character is happening is only because of the game coming out next month
I think there's also the fact that most of FP2 seems to be kinda the "redemption pack".

I.E Going back and giving ARMS and XB2 characters, stages, music, etc and going back and fixing Final Fantasy's complete lack of representation in the base game. Right now the only entirely new IP to Smash on the pass is Minecraft (which had been in the cards for like five years it seems), with the other characters really just more finishing the job with their respective franchises, so naturally people think they'll do the same with MH, going back and adding a character, a stage, spirits, etc after how only the base game had Rathalos as a boss/AT.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
In fairness to those speculating about MH, it has become a big international franchise, possesses a strong history with Nintendo, and belongs to a company that's conspicuously had no Fighters in either pass so far. While the new game has boosted a lot of predictions about it, a Monster Hunter rep certainly doesn't feel inherently less likely compared to Phoenix Wright or Dante all things considered.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I've wondered for a while now why people assume Sony wouldn't allow any of their characters in Smash. Sure, it hasn't happened yet, but if Nintendo came to them asking for Aloy or Kratos or something, is there real precedent suggesting Sony would shoot them down? Or does everyone just assume they're as protective of their IP as Nintendo is? Because frankly, that's pretty dang hard to do :ohwell:
I'm under the assumption that Sony would shoot down Nintendo on everyone except an overly realistic Abby.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just think it's more the lack of interest on Nintendo's part.

Minecraft is pretty much the main reason Nintendo even has a working relationship with Microsoft, which naturally lead to Steve and Banjo getting into Smash. Meanwhile, Sony really doesn't have anything to offer to Nintendo.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Something I'd like to say regarding the statement about monsters being the real focus of the series is that it was over a decade ago. Until we dig up any recent comments on the matter, we have no idea how much it holds up nowadays. As such, I'm not taking that quote into account until further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom