• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
So I have a question for you guys: What two characters do you think would please the greatest amount of people if they were revealed as the last two characters? As in, most of the Smash fanbase would be rejoicing and people would be happy or at least okay with them even if they weren't the characters they wanted. I would say Crash and Dante but I really don't know to be honest. What do you all think? (and what two characters would make YOU the most happy, no matter how far-fetched or unrealistic?)
Easy picks would be Ray Man and Crash. Sora and Master Chief are great as well. But I also think another character like Steve would also be great as well. But I would imagine (while controversial) Angry Birds Red and Fortnite Jonesy would due way more than Steve crashing Twitter. The whole internet would become a mine field during an earthquake

D

Deleted member

So I have a question for you guys: What two characters do you think would please the greatest amount of people if they were revealed as the last two characters? As in, most of the Smash fanbase would be rejoicing and people would be happy or at least okay with them even if they weren't the characters they wanted. I would say Crash and Dante but I really don't know to be honest. What do you all think? (and what two characters would make YOU the most happy, no matter how far-fetched or unrealistic?)
Mario and Mario :4pacman:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai mentioned that, had he known Mother 3 would be Japan-exclusive, he wouldn't have added Lucas.

That being said, Dragalia Lost ISN'T Japan-exclusive, so I think it has a chance.
Honestly, if it weren't for the fact Dragalia released in 2018, I'd be saying it's a Lock, but Pyra and Mythra happened and I doubt Euden will be in unless we get a Third Pass lol.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I never got this arguement because we have characters like Lucas who's game has never left Japan, though I guess at least his franchise has...
Sakurai was also unaware of the fact that Mother 3 was supposed to be Japan only when he was selected for Brawl.

I personally think we're far long gone from the days of Ness, Lucas, Marth and Roy. Every single newcomer in Smash 4 and onwards have had a worldwide presence, and I don't think Nintendo of today wants to completely alienate one of their three main markets (US, PAL, Japan) by including a fighter from a game not available in all of those regions like that.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Sakurai was also unaware of the fact that Mother 3 was supposed to be Japan only when he was selected for Brawl.

I personally think we're far long gone from the days of Ness, Lucas, Marth and Roy. Every single newcomer in Smash 4 and onwards have had a worldwide presence, and I don't think Nintendo of today wants to completely alienate one of their three main markets (US, PAL, Japan) by including a fighter from a game not available in all of those regions like that.
Both Banjo and Hero definitely feel like they're as far as Nintendo is willing to go with region oriented characters, and even then the former was known to Japanese audiences and the latter had almost all the mainline games released and localized in the US and Europe.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Honestly, if it weren't for the fact Dragalia released in 2018, I'd be saying it's a Lock, but Pyra and Mythra happened and I doubt Euden will be in unless we get a Third Pass lol.
I wouldn't be so sure. He seems like the kind of character Nintendo would end DLC on...

SKX31

Smash Master
Something that's a bit of a drowned out story is that Konami is getting some big money on the Switch via Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (a railroad based board game), close to two and a half million in sales and dominating the Japanese charts for over two and half months now.

The reason why I think that's significant is that I could see Konami doing what Capcom is now, with a lot of the AAA games being geared towards the Xbox, PS5, and PC markets while also having certain games technically multiplatform but geared towards the Switch audience. Why not have a series of smaller scale Castlevania titles harkening back to the GBA and DS series that would fit perfectly for a handheld system?

Maybe even something like that as well with its Hudson Soft properties, perhaps doing a continuation of Bomberman 64 down the road. Granted its just speculation, but Bomberman R was exclusive to Nintendo for over a year, so Konami clearly saw some value in the system's market potential, even early on.
Oh yeah, that franchise. I legit forgot about that, but that's practically a Japanese tradition at this point and even more Japanese-specific than DQ ever was (which saw NA releases under Dragon Warrior - it's why an ABC reporter in 1988 confused Dragon Quest as a different series entirely from Dragon Warrior).

It's worth noting that most Japanese / Western corps - not just Konami, although they're the most notable example - are already outsourcing the IP for mobile games elsewhere. One reason for this is because those corps generally lack the staff that have expertise in mobile development - it's why Nintendo teamed up with CyGames for Dragalia for example, and why Tencent are having their mobile studios develop a ****ton of games from Japanese / Western devs (Pokemon Unite and CoD Mobile as two examples). They're not the only corp that these companies license to (far from, there's a lot of 'em), but Tencent's by far the most notable.

Another reason is that the demographic interested in hardcore mobile games is huge - I'm not just talking China, but Japan, India and SEA* also have really huge chunks of people who are interested in hardcore mobile games (incl. gacha, of course). "Hardcore mobile games" feels like such a weird term given my personal preconceptions... buuuut, that's very much a legit thing in East Asia (incl. Japan) so gotta roll with it. And I wouldn't be surprised if that grows in importance even here, despite opposition to its gacha / microtransaction trappings being a global thing.

*(Wouldn't be surprised if South Korea also has this.)

They clearly know their IPs have value, is just that developing new entries for their big series would require a lot of resources. And they have been gaining a lot of money from pachinkos and other things. Also smaller IPs such as Momotaro Denmetsu have been incredibly beneficial in Japan. So I guess it's understandable in a way.

If I was Konami and I was doing good with low investment in my IPs, why would I change that?
With one caveat: Konami did legit license the Castlevania IP to a mobile studio who straight up made a Castlevania clone in order to convert it into an official game:

... Well, that's one way to take care of any cloning.

I do wanna draw a major contrast with DmC: Pinnacle of Combat, another mobile game licensed out by Capcom to Yunchang Studios. Not only are Capcom more actively involved to ensure the mobile game's quality, but Yunchang seem to be a dev studio that cares a lot about the game's quality.

Which in turn highlights that regardless of nationality, the mobile sphere is shovelware-prone because the stores are largely unregulated and just as there are a lot of studios who are very concious of their efforts, there are also a lot of studios where the quick buck is priority #1.

I do think Crash and Dante are pretty good contenders, although characters like Phoenix have a surprisingly wide reach themselves. A LoL character have that rare global reach Steve has but is historically not associated with Nintendo, which is why I'm hesitant on naming that (although it could be in the conversation too). Sora, Chief, Kratos and Lara Croft are also possible contenders IMHO. And if other "second third parties" are on the cards, I'd add Chun-Li and Eggman since those are two of the very few such characters with a truly global reach themselves.

Edit: The two in my sig are amongst my most wanted, but I have a lot of 'em and some like KOS-MOS are likely not getting in.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, Euden feels like the most forced suggestion I've ever seen in Smash history. If he wasn't owned by Nintendo literally nobody would have cared
What's funny is that I think either spirits or even a Mii Costume would be a solid and realistic fit for Euden. Its not too much investment or risk, but would effectively introduce them to an audience that's otherwise unfamiliar with them. You'd have a European audience that's a bit screwed if they want the experience more of it, but otherwise DL could do a lot worse making its debut on a Nintendo console in that way.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Most People Satisfied: Probably Master Chief and Shovel Knight.
Makes me the Happiest: Ruby Heart and Dixie Kong.
Most People Annoyed: Tracer and Toadette.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Another issue with Euden is that, well, he's co-owned by the same company responsible for Granblue, which has always been a much bigger franchise, so I feel like Nintendo would just go with that if they really wanted a character from Cygames.

TBH Granblue has a similar issue in that the original mobile game doesn't have a proper worldwide release either, but I guess it's got a little more going on than Dragalia Lost considering Granblue Fantasy Versus does have a true global release, so that's something. Too bad the pandemic killed a lot of its legs from what I've heard.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Crash and Sora. Both of these characters are heavily requested within the smash fandom and are from very popular games from both the West and the East. You won't hear much complaining from these two.

As for who I want, Axel Stone and Sgt. Cortez are my picks.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So I have a question for you guys: What two characters do you think would please the greatest amount of people if they were revealed as the last two characters? As in, most of the Smash fanbase would be rejoicing and people would be happy or at least okay with them even if they weren't the characters they wanted. I would say Crash and Dante but I really don't know to be honest. What do you all think?
Toon Zelda and Pink Gold Peach :troll:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Another issue with Euden is that, well, he's co-owned by the same company responsible for Granblue, which has always been a much bigger franchise, so I feel like Nintendo would just go with that if they really wanted a character from Cygames.

TBH Granblue has a similar issue in that the original mobile game doesn't have a proper worldwide release either, but I guess it's got a little more going on than Dragalia Lost considering Granblue Fantasy Versus does have a true global release, so that's something. Too bad the pandemic killed a lot of its legs from what I've heard.
It's a combination of **** netcode, a horrifically handled release (Japan and SE Asia get it, then America gets it, then there's the Steam port and then there's the European release but half of this wasn't communicated properly and they did a lot of undercutting of their partners) and the pandemic

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Speaking seriously, I think the EU issue is a bit of a problem for Euden, but it's not an outright death sentence. The main citation for global reach being necessary is Takamaru, who was Japanese-exclusive and had seen very little use since the Famicom days. In comparison, Dragalia is a recent creation, gets regular support (Including big crossovers like Mega Man and Persona 5), and is available in the US and Japan. I could see why Nintendo would be turned away from a Dragalia pack, but it's also something I can see them going for.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Crash and Master Chief would be my guess. They probably would have the least amount of complaints.

As for most hated. Fire Emblem the next 2 times. Nothing beats it.

The 2 characters that would make me happy are undoubtedly Phoenix Wright and Pyramid Head. If I somehow got both of them I’m pretty sure my mind would melt into a perpetual state of dopamine rush.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Something that's a bit of a drowned out story is that Konami is getting some big money on the Switch via Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (a railroad based board game), close to two and a half million in sales and dominating the Japanese charts for over two and half months now.

The reason why I think that's significant is that I could see Konami doing what Capcom is now, with a lot of the AAA games being geared towards the Xbox, PS5, and PC markets while also having certain games technically multiplatform but geared towards the Switch audience. Why not have a series of smaller scale Castlevania titles harkening back to the GBA and DS series that would fit perfectly for a handheld system?

Maybe even something like that as well with its Hudson Soft properties, perhaps doing a continuation of Bomberman 64 down the road. Granted its just speculation, but Bomberman R was exclusive to Nintendo for over a year, so Konami clearly saw some value in the system's market potential, even early on.
Ironically enough in Japan Konami is the best supporter of the switch and they have had a ton of hit's.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Please the greatest amount of people - Crash and Master Chief
Would make me happiest - Elma and either Octoling, Ahri or Reimu

aaaaand nothing else to report so time to vanish again

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That second name contains a slur against the Japanese, JP's the shortened version. You shouldn't get in trouble as the site's censor failed to catch that, just a heads up for the future, this was clearly not maliciously intended
Yikes! Thank you for informing me. Just changed that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've seen Crash brought up a lot for a most well-received character, but would that be for everywhere or just the West? I know Crash is fairly popular over in Japan, but is he super popular like with here, or would he just have mild celebration? Kinda curious here, because Crash and Master Chief get brought up as the biggest crowd-pleasers, but they feel like more Western-appeal characters. I'm sure Japan would be fairly pleased with them, but not to extreme mindblowing levels.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've seen Crash brought up a lot for a most well-received character, but would that be for everywhere or just the West? I know Crash is fairly popular over in Japan, but is he super popular like with here, or would he just have mild celebration? Kinda curious here.
If I had to guess, probably above Banjo, but below the other Fighter's Pack characters.

D

Deleted member

I've seen Crash brought up a lot for a most well-received character, but would that be for everywhere or just the West? I know Crash is fairly popular over in Japan, but is he super popular like with here, or would he just have mild celebration? Kinda curious here.
I haven't played any of his games but I hear about him alot outside of the general Smash community so maybe? idk.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I've seen Crash brought up a lot for a most well-received character, but would that be for everywhere or just the West? I know Crash is fairly popular over in Japan, but is he super popular like with here, or would he just have mild celebration? Kinda curious here, because Crash and Master Chief get brought up as the biggest crowd-pleasers, but they feel like more Western-appeal characters. I'm sure Japan would be fairly pleased with them, but not to extreme mindblowing levels.
According to this chart, Crash games usually sell around 1.3~1.4M copies there. So decently appealing to Japan, I'd say.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
in a english forum you'll see more people who think that they're preferred picks are popular worldwide, im sure there are characters nobody knows of here like a character form momtaro dentetsu that would be seen like people here see master cheif or crash.

since this is a Japanese game it will probably choose more Japanese appealing characters while still considering the west a bit.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Since we all seem to be doing this, thought I’d do mine too

Villager: Oh cool!
Mega Man: Oh cool!
Wii Fit Trainer: Omg what? That’s amazing
Rosalina: Wow! Didn’t see that coming! Very happy
Little Mac: Hehe called it
Greninja: Omg that’s so cool!
Mii Fighter: Wow nice
Palutena: Wow nice
Pac-Man: Wow nice
Lucina: Woaaaaaaaaah Lucina?!
Robin: Yay magic user!
Shulk: Yay!
Dark Pit: What? That’s nice
Bowser Jr.: Very nice
Duck Hunt: Oh cool!
Ryu: Oooooooh
Cloud: OOOOOOOH
Corrin: Wow they look neat
Bayonetta: Woah didn’t see that coming
Inkling: Yay
Daisy: AAAAAAAAH
Ridley: Woah finally
Simon: Ooh
Richter: WHAT THE HECK THAT’S WHAT HUH?
Chrom: Wow congrats Chrom
Dark Samus: Omg her animations
King K. Rool: Nice!
Isabelle: Yay she’s in!
Ken: Omg that’s great!
Incineroar: Neat! Looks great
Piranha Plant: That’s hilarious I’m glad
Joker: jakfkowncowkcodkksojcic YES
Hero: YAAAAAAY sees Eight OMG DQ8
Banjo: Woah!
Terry: Oh that’s so cool!
Byleth: Nice!
Min Min: AAAAAAAAAAH
Steve: AAAAAAH
Sephiroth: AAAAAAAAH
Pyra: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Mythra: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I like Smash reveals
My turn.

Villager: meh.
Megaman: **** YEAH!
Wit Fit Trainer: meh.
Rosalina: men.
Little Mac: yeah!
Greninja: mem.
Mii Brawler/Swordfighter/Gunner: yeah.
Palutena: meh.
Pac-Man: meh.
Lucina: yeah.
Robin: yeah.
Shulk: Yeah!
Dark Pit: no.
Bowser Jr.: meh.
Duck Hunt: meh.
Ryu: yeah.
Cloud: **** YEAH!
Corrin: **** NO!
Bayonetta: meh.
Inkling: yeah.
Daisy: meh.
Ridley: **** YYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Simon: Yeah!
Richter: yeah.
Chrom: meh.
Dark Samus: yeah.
King K. Rool: Yeah!
Isabelle: meh.
Ken: meh.
Incineroar: meh.
Piranha Plant: WHAT THE ****?
Joker: Yeah!
Hero: meh.
Banjo and Kazooie: Yeah!
Terry: meh to yeah!
Byleth: **** NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Min-Min: yeah.
Steve: meh.
Sephiroth: YEAH!
Pyra: **** YEAH!
Mythra: **** YEAH!

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
According to this chart, Crash games usually sell around 1.3~1.4M copies there. So decently appealing to Japan, I'd say.
that was years ago, they struggle to hit anything impressive now.

the only million sellers right now in japan are, Mario (Nintendo), Mario Kart (Nintendo), Mario Party (Nintendo), Zelda (Nintendo), Splatoon (Nintendo), Animal Crossing (Nintendo), Kirby (Nintendo), Ring Fit (Nintendo), Smash Bros (Nintendo), Pokémon (Nintendo), Pikmin (Nintendo), Monster Hunter (Capcom), Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) Nier (Square Enix), Final Fantasy (Square Enix), Dragon Quest (Square Enix) and Minecraft (Microsoft).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
He would most likely get the same amount of celebration as Banjo & Kazooie over in Japan. Probably more since what I found out on the web, the Nintendo 64 was actually slightly behind the Sega Saturn in sales in Japan.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly, licensing out the IPs is better than selling for them a single reason. Iga can get to that 1999 game that way
I’m getting unreasonably excited over rumors but MGS Remake, Silent Hill from Bloober, Silent Hills from Kojima, and IgaVania 1999? Broooooo pleeaaaaase

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If I had to guess, probably above Banjo, but below the other Fighter's Pack characters.
Yeah, that's what it seems like. His thing, aside from being the old PS1 mascot, is that he's very big in the West and still decently large in Japan. I can definitely see him being a big crowd-pleaser on his own.
What makes me question things is when people suggest him alongside Master Chief, who's in a similar situation (But less so, given the FPS genre's lack of prevalence in Japan), for the final two who would please the most people. That seems too Western-oriented to fit the bill, as we still have the Japanese market to take into account. Granted, not all of us know the Japanese gaming scene very well, but it still feels rather unbalanced.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
He would most likely get the same amount of celebration as Banjo & Kazooie over in Japan. Probably more since what I found out on the web, the Nintendo 64 was actually slightly behind the Sega Saturn in sales in Japan.
Yeah the Saturn was Sega finally mastering how to really market their console to a Japanese audience to the point where its still a beloved system there to this day.

Of course they completely blew it when it come to the US and Europe, but no one's ever accused Sega of an excess in consistency.

Yeah, that's what it seems like. His thing, aside from being the old PS1 mascot, is that he's very big in the West and still decently large in Japan. I can definitely see him being a big crowd-pleaser on his own.
What makes me question things is when people suggest him alongside Master Chief, who's in a similar situation (But less so, given the FPS genre's lack of prevalence in Japan), for the final two who would please the most people. That seems too Western-oriented to fit the bill, as we still have the Japanese market to take into account. Granted, not all of us know the Japanese gaming scene very well, but it still feels rather unbalanced.
A lot of it comes down to figuring out the character duo that would please both regions that much. Sora would have to be one, and might come down to a Capcom character for the other. (Maybe Monster Hunter, its hard to say).

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ok so now I guess I’m on semi hiatus, only popping in to give relevant news

cuz uh have I got something... concerning

Please let Nintendo buy them please... or hell, Square Enix idk
As some others have said, Licensing is probably better overall than outright selling. Like....I do understand that some people would like Nintendo to buy Konami, especially when some of it's series like Castlevania and Bomberman do very well with Nintendo(and not including the fact that many would start clamouring for alot of Konami and Hudson Soft characters in Smash). But while Nintendo may throw a few bones here and then, Nintendo really isn't the best pick when it comes to bringing back dormant IPs. Franchises like Ganbare Goemon, Suikoden and Boktai aren't just going to magically come back.

I also don't see Nintendo themselves making Konami games and whatnot. I mean, it could be a different story with one of their Western studios, like Retro Studios or Next Level Games, but I can't see one of Nintendo's bigger producers/etc wanting to do one of Konami's IPs.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
that was years ago, they struggle to hit anything impressive now.

the only million sellers right now in japan are, Mario (Nintendo), Mario Kart (Nintendo), Mario Party (Nintendo), Zelda (Nintendo), Splatoon (Nintendo), Animal Crossing (Nintendo), Kirby (Nintendo), Ring Fit (Nintendo), Smash Bros (Nintendo), Pokémon (Nintendo), Pikmin (Nintendo), Monster Hunter (Capcom), Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) Nier (Square Enix), Final Fantasy (Square Enix), Dragon Quest (Square Enix) and Minecraft (Microsoft).
I know! We're getting a Nintendo character!

Wait a minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom