• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Welcome to the world of DLC. Sad reality, but reality nontheless.
We live in a world where DLC in fighting games are all impressive, or loved favorites.

In smash that translates to big Names or Big Third Parties and first parties feels like "should have just been base game"
Which is true in a sense. But wrong in another as those characters didnt exists at the time or just missed the mark by a bit.
And I say that as someone who loved Byleth and love Pyra/Mythra but despise Min-min
Agree, let's see if I can remember how many 3rd party reps as DLC we got:
:ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultsteve::ultsephiroth:
That's 8.
(Sonic and Snake with Pac-Man and Mega Man don't count.)

Edit: Forgot Hero.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I know you're referring to the two-in-one deal, but my first thought was Hmm yes Steve the anime swordfighter

Still, Pyra and Mythra are at least semiclones of each other, can be freely switched between each other, and they're in the same pack. It'd still be a fair amount of anime swords, but it would only be three content packs of it. At least, I think that's how they would be counted.
Yeah, since they share a slot, it's almost like getting Mythra as a bonus character..6 packs, 7 characters~

Ivander

Smash Legend
This is just sad.
View attachment 304128
(No wonder first party reps are sometimes disliked.)
It's like Super Smash Bros. is actually a....😱...a Nintendo game! Them ********! Ignoring our most wanted picks like Goku from Dragon Ball FighterZ or Jonesy from Fortnite in favor of that fat plumber Mario and fairy boy Zelda!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
:ulthero: 9, actually
And aside from Snake, who was added by Kojima's request, these guys have some pretty strong ties to Nintendo. All the wacky picks seem to be DLC.

Honestly, that's probably not coincidental. Nintendo-focus for the base game, widen the net for the DLC.
Yup, it's because it's much easier to create deals on DLC than Base game. It's not a secret. So that's why people expect Third Parties and roll their eyes at first party DLC-

Also, question, do you guys think that one of tje remaining DLC will be a new Dev joining the smash train, or another one double dipping?

Pillow

Smash Lord
I dunno about that. Two swords versus one, no stance-swapping, a faster, combo-based style rather than a really big sword, and move cancelling (Granted, that's also in XC2, but it doesn't seem like they have it in Smash), and the Over Limit mechanic giving them a power-up. They wear red clothes, have swordfighting, and from action RPGs, but the similarities end there. Lloyd and Pyra aren't that close.
Sure, they're different characters from different franchises after all. But people unfamiliar with the franchise will move past their initial skin-deep impression. Sakurai could add another five anime sword characters, each being fully unique and fun, and they would still have poor reception from a general audience. Note how Banjo really isn't that popular of a character now that he's in Smash, despite being such a highly requested character. That's because people only cared that Banjo, the character, was in the game and didn't really think too hard about how he'd play. Anime sword characters are in the opposite situation, they tend to have playstyles that people enjoy, but are far less requested than other characters because they don't visually stand out among the roster for anyone unfamiliar with their series.

To be fair, we did get three RPG characters last pass too. There's also the fact that Lloyd is entirely about combos and chaining together attacks, while Mythra's kit is made to contrast with Pyra's. Even then, we got two largely range-based characters with Min Min and Sephiroth, and right after Byleth was touted as a "distance demon."
I'd also like to point out that Tales of Symphonia is an early 2000's title, and Lloyd would cater to a different demographic than the Blades, who hail from a late 2010's title, if demographics are the issue here. Even then, we already got three 2010's characters, two of which are from 2017 first-party Switch games. I don't see Pyra being that much of an issue for Lloyd.
It's about aesthetic more than anything. Of course Tales fans will be happy with Lloyd. But people unfamiliar with Tales would be more unhappy with Lloyd than a different character they're unfamiliar with that has a different visual style. Joker is from a JRPG, but does not look like he shares a genre with Hero and Byleth. Lloyd shares a lot of the same visual themes as FE characters / Hero / Xenoblade characters / FF characters which doesn't kill his chances, but I think they do hurt them. Monster Hunter or 2B are examples that also come from JRPG's but do not share this issue with Lloyd.

I'm starting to think that Nintendo just hate Namco. We got Fatal fury before Tekken or Soul calibur, and Persona before Tales of.
Next fighter: Bloodborne hunter instead of Chosen undead :4pacman:
Maybe Nintendo does hate Namco, but they'll never put in Bloodborne because they hate Sony the most.

If we're getting a Pokemon, it wont be from last gen, but this one.
Remember, Pokemon are another deal than Sakurai saying "I want". Pokemon Company hold the cards here gives him options and then he chooses from them.

If Nintendo's list had "Another Pokemon rep" instead of a certain pokemon, I'm sure Game Freak/Pokemon Company will go for Gen 8 My friends.
Yes any Gen 7 Pokemon not named Incineroar will not be playable in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Also, question, do you guys think that one of tje remaining DLC will be a new Dev joining the smash train, or another one double dipping?
We're probably getting at least 1 new dev on board, the likeliest being Koei-Tecmo all things given. I do hope it's 2 new devs instead of 1 for the last 2 characters, but it's not very easy to believe in that.

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
I'm starting to think that Nintendo just hate Namco. We got Fatal fury before Tekken or Soul calibur, and Persona before Tales of.
Next fighter: Bloodborne hunter instead of Chosen undead :4pacman:
Gee, I wonder why. It's not like Scamco haven't done anything to warrant the hate or anything. When your actions include:

Putting Heihachi in a Playstation Smash Bros. ripoff.
Taking Link out of SoulCalibur II knowing that he is the only reason people give a **** about the series in the first place.
Hideo Baba's comments about the Tales Of series being a Playstation series, while making excuses for the series selling better on Nintendo hardware. Not to mention the Tales Of Symphonia HD remasters skipping the Wii U when the platform needed software.
Nintendo bending over backwards for an Amiibo and a headlining spot in a Nintendo Direct for a Dark Souls remaster, only for their version of the game to be delayed when it was practically finished.
Not to mention Sakurai's comments about cutting Pac-Man if they tried to force the Ghostly Adventures design on him.

I'm surprised Nintendo even bothers with them as developers with as much bull**** they do to screw them over.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gee, I wonder why. It's not like Scamco haven't done anything to warrant the hate or anything. When your actions include:

Putting Heihachi in a Playstation Smash Bros. ripoff.
Taking Link out of SoulCalibur II knowing that he is the only reason people give a **** about the series in the first place.
Hideo Baba's comments about the Tales Of series being a Playstation series, while making excuses for the series selling better on Nintendo hardware. Not to mention the Tales Of Symphonia HD remasters skipping the Wii U when the platform needed software.
Nintendo bending over backwards for an Amiibo and a headlining spot in a Nintendo Direct for a Dark Souls remaster, only for their version of the game to be delayed when it was practically finished.
Not to mention Sakurai's comments about cutting Pac-Man if they tried to force the Ghostly Adventures design on him.

I'm surprised Nintendo even bothers with them as developers with as much bull**** they do to screw them over.
Which alt is this

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I hope Nintendo repeats the pattern as last year. First starting with a first party rep from a early Switch game (Min Min and Pyra/Mythra), then with 2 third parties; one a western one (Steve and ??? hopefully Crash) and then a eastern one (Sephiroth and ???, I can see these being a Capcom rep or Ryu from Ninja Gaiden).

4:2 third:first party reps would make people very happy, considering those first party reps are from games that should have playable representation at base game (Arms and Xeno 2). Third parties would be 2 west and 2 east.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should been.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'd like getting a new company on board, to be honest. I find that exciting. Also because some of my wants would come from new developers, not gonna lie.

For me at this point an ideal scenario would be getting another Capcom fighter and then a new company. Arc System Works, Activision, Koei Tecmo or Falcom would be choices I'd interested in.

But I'm not demanding that to be the case. In the end I'll be pretty much okay with any outcome, as long as the characters are fun and bring some cool content with them.

You pay for them with countless hours of grinding all in a futile attempt to pull KOS-MOS.
I put more than 100 hours in Xenoblade 2 and KOS-MOS was the only Blade I never managed to get.
:(

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I’m mainly hoping for Activision (Crash) and Disney (Sora, even though he’s Square-created) to hop on the Smash train.

As for double dipping, I mainly hope for SEGA (Eggman, Arle, and/or Sakura just to name a few).

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
If only that was the basis of the friction. Alas, it's resetera.

I wonder how many people were banned for thirsting when Sephiroth took his shirt off. None, would be my guess. >_>
I want somebody to scavenge posts for that, that be hilarious seeing the hypocrisy.
that shirtless alt was definitely fan service for all the Sephiroth FFangirls out there.

D

Deleted member

This doom and gloom around Tales because it appeals to the same crowd as Xenoblade has me thinking: what characters would have the broadest appeal with the fewest overlap between the rest of FP2? I think Crash is the most obvious choice since he’s mega popular & we don’t have a platforming character yet, but the other one could be a lot of things. What do y’all think?

MMXZero

Smash Rookie
Well, the Wii U did suck, so I understand why Namco didn't port ToS onto it.
They could have ported the games to the 3DS instead.

The mentality that Nintendo owes Bandai Namco a character slot for developing Smash Bros. is starting to get weird.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This doom and gloom around Tales because it appeals to the same crowd as Xenoblade has me thinking: what characters would have the broadest appeal with the fewest overlap between the rest of FP2? I think Crash is the most obvious choice since he’s mega popular & we don’t have a platforming character yet, but the other one could be a lot of things. What do y’all think?
I honestly don't think Crash is happening and I'm suspecting Lloyd is gonna return as a Mii as with Monster Hunter. 38 out of the 40 Sm4sh Miis have returned, don't think they're gonna make any exceptions here.

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly don't think Crash is happening and I'm suspecting Lloyd is gonna return as a Mii as with Monster Hunter. 38 out of the 40 Sm4sh Miis have returned, don't think they're gonna make any exceptions here.
Mate you just said earlier today you thought Monster Hunter was on the table, make up your mind. :239:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom